OFFICIAL FOOTY THREAD ⚽️: Euro Cup and Copa America underway

Who wins the Euros?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Attendance listed as 65k sellout, probably 80% MX fans, with the remainder split between US, CAN, and PAN fans. Multiple MX shirt-wearers absolutely ****faced drunk on the way out. Police or local security would try to intervene in some of the more egregious stuff, but would get laughed off; really pathetic.

There's a reason why the USMNT usually plays in cities with low Mexican populations whenever they host Mexico in a friendly.

They don't want the stadium to turn into Estadio Azteca.

There's a reason why the USMNT usually plays in cities with low Mexican populations whenever they host Mexico in a friendly.

They don't want the stadium to turn into Estadio Azteca.
Seattle constantly fumbling the bag by not solving the turf issue at Lumen Field, smh. I've been trying to attend a USMNT match up here since I've moved back.

Did the doubleheader in person last night. Had pitchside seats. Was a fantastic experience overall.

Davies is a beast. He came on at about 60min and immediately torched his Panamanian defender. He's a next level player and its very revealing to see that live and in person. Dude is just built different.

USMNT absolutely dominated / punked/ son'd MEX and I am here for it. Think MX had one shot on goal the whole time. P*to chant started bright and early and we were constantly getting announcements over the speakers in both languages, which were roundly boo'd or laughed off by MX fans. Pulisic missed that first sitter and you thought it was going to be a long night, but MX couldn't string anything together and both US centerbacks owned their matchups; MX had no answers besides their obnoxious 1/4 field crossing pattern, and then Jedi and Serginho shut that down.

Got spicy real quick. MX easily should have seen red earlier, and the USMNT's retaliation reds were epically soft compared to how they were getting hacked. Multiple fights involving multiple people broke out in the stands (at least 4 from where I could see); 1 between an older white guy (who was probably chirping) and a group of drunk Mexicans, and then three fights just with Mexican dudes going after each other. Metro police had to stream down the stairs repeatedly and the MX crowd would try to hide the offenders and skirt them away up another set of stairs. Saw one guy with his ear practically torn off and bleeding down the neck of his shirt and back.

Had beer, cups, food and trash thrown at me and my girl repeatedly w/o provocation (just wearing the wrong colors and cheering "at the wrong time"). Attendance listed as 65k sellout, probably 80% MX fans, with the remainder split between US, CAN, and PAN fans. Multiple MX shirt-wearers absolutely ****faced drunk on the way out. Police or local security would try to intervene in some of the more egregious stuff, but would get laughed off; really pathetic.

Have come to the conclusion and will die on the hill that this brand of MX fan is the most classless fan in all of sport. If I'm there w/ the boys, sure--lets get rough and tumble. But when isolated US guys are there, very clearly with their wife, girl or kids in US colors, you don't need this ****. I saw families of US fans w/ young children leaving early after getting shouted at, abused, and **** thrown at them early in the 2nd half. Disgraceful showing.

And for the record, I'm not a fan of the CONCACAAF anti-chant push b/c imma be real and also maintain p*to has been co-opted by white intellectuals to suddenly become a homophobic slur when culturally and linguistically it's never had that connotation; the same people insisting we call ourselves Latinx think they can police our language in other ways too. But FFS get yourselves together and stop laughing at your own players when they implore you--even if just for the sake of PR--to stop the stupid chant. I hope MX gets fined into the ground and banned from competition. Can't happen fast enough.

So growing up in LA ive been to numerous mexico games vs US, El Salvador, Guatemala, Brazil, Argentina, Costa Rica etc. Nothing surprises me about what you experienced but that has been the case for any other games between rival nations ive attended. In fact, I would say Mexico vs El Salvador at the LA Coliseum makes your experience last night seem like Disney's World on Ice experience. The problem is that families think they are attending an MLS game when in fact they are attending an international match. No games get as heated as international matches...except for maybe Boca vs River. That is why as a live events atmosphere go , international > club soccer.
As we all get older and attend with our families , I can see why these type of experiences can be a turn off. I attended the Guatemala v el Salvador game last year but didnt take my family. I aint trying to get taken out on a stretcher.

As for the Mexio P*t& chant, I like it. I attended the Mexico v Guatemala match in Glendale AZ when it was first being chanted and all I could do when they yelled it at my goal keeper was...
IMG_8959.gif

I am jealous that they came up with it first. If I were mexico fans I would change it to something else so that concacaf doesnt fine the team.

Last edited:
No games get as heated as international matches...except for maybe Boca vs River.

Maybe? Every time Boca and River face off in a big match there’s violence. You can count on it like you can count on death and taxes. It’s shameful, but it is what it is. Only other club rivalry that compares is the Old Firm between Celtic and Rangers, there’s real hate there.

Maybe? Every time Boca and River face off in a big match there’s violence. You can count on it like you can count on death and taxes. It’s shameful, but it is what it is. Only other club rivalry that compares is the Old Firm between Celtic and Rangers, there’s real hate there.
I say maybe because I have not been to a river v boca since 1992…i was a kid.

They tell me there is a lot more security and order in the mas monumental now.

I also say maybe because I didnt see urine filled bags and cans flying at opposing fans like ive seen at the Coliseum. “aguas ay van los miados” 😂

Matter of fact, when they were here I took my 4 year old son to several games in the black hole in oakland but havent taken him to an international footy match. We only go to MLS games together :smile:

Last edited:
I say maybe because I have not been to a river v boca since 1992.

They tell me there is a lot more security and order in the monumental now.

I also say maybe because I didnt see urine filled bags and cans flying at opposing fans like ive seen at the Coliseum.

Matter of fact, when they were here I took my 4 year old son to several games in the black hole in oakland but havent taken him to an international footy match. We only go to MLS games together :smile:

Regular league matches between River and Boca can go forward without real problems. When they face each other in the Libertadores or in title deciders, that’s a different story. That’s when things tend to go off the rails…

The Timbers rivalry with Seattle gets intense too. I've heard some out of pocket stuff with kids around, even seen folks with kids do the most talking too :lol:

Used to love trolling fans at Blazer games, especially Laker fans. I always drew the line with families and if there are kids around tho. That was something I could not see me do and I wish this was the case for everyone.

I can't imagine trying to go to a sporting event with my loved ones or kids and get berated by other fans with no prior provocations. All my best memory of sports and going to events was when I was kid, so I dont understand how some grown *** teens or adults could take that away from kids.

So growing up in LA ive been to numerous mexico games vs US, El Salvador, Guatemala, Brazil, Argentina, Costa Rica etc. Nothing surprises me about what you experienced but that has been the case for any other games between rival nations ive attended. In fact, I would say Mexico vs El Salvador at the LA Coliseum makes your experience last night seem like Disney's World on Ice experience. The problem is that families think they are attending an MLS game when in fact they are attending an international match. No games get as heated as international matches...except for maybe Boca vs River. That is why as a live events atmosphere go , international > club soccer.
As we all get older and attend with our families , I can see why these type of experiences can be a turn off. I attended the Guatemala v el Salvador game last year but didnt take my family. I aint trying to get taken out on a stretcher.

As for the Mexio P*t& chant, I like it. I attended the Mexico v Guatemala match in Glendale AZ when it was first being chanted and all I could do when they yelled it at my goal keeper was...
IMG_8959.gif

I am jealous that they came up with it first. If I were mexico fans I would change it to something else so that concacaf doesnt fine the team.

I worked at the Mexico - ES opener at the 2011 Gold Cup at Jerry World in Dallas. Mexico won 5-0 and they were still throwing their beers at the ES players as they walked off the field. I can't tell you how many times I've been working at a Mexico match and been showered with beer crossfire while standing/working on the pitch. It's a whole other level. That time when Chile washed them at Levi's was probably the worst, from fans throwing beers at Chilean players to fans throwing beers at the Mexican players after being down 7-0.

I worked at the Mexico - ES opener at the 2011 Gold Cup at Jerry World in Dallas. Mexico won 5-0 and they were still throwing their beers at the ES players as they walked off the field. I can't tell you how many times I've been working at a Mexico match and been showered with beer crossfire while standing/working on the pitch. It's a whole other level. That time when Chile washed them at Levi's was probably the worst, from fans throwing beers at Chilean players to fans throwing beers at the Mexican players after being down 7-0.
the big question...was it really beer?

I've been saying for years...replace the p*** chant with Burro.

Go a step further for Mexico home games and put it on the jumbotron...BURRRRRRRRO!!!

Very sad about da fan response but fellas this is why I would proudly wear this and bring both fans together because my team won and lost in that match

IMG_1538.png

Actually saw more of these types of shirts on people than I expected. Mad respect to those people who straddle and embrace both cultures and communities. It seems to be getting harder in recent times.

Actually saw more of these types of shirts on people than I expected. Mad respect to those people who straddle and embrace both cultures and communities. It seems to be getting harder in recent times.
I just put things in perspective and know that it’s just a game.

Back
Top Bottom