OFFICIAL FOOTY THREAD ⚽️: Euro Cup and Copa America underway

Who wins the Euros?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That seems like a stretch. It comes from the youth levels.

Na man. I think there are talented players who could play that role now they just aren’t given the opportunity to.

I seen quotes from Klopp saying he doesn’t need a number 10. He’d rather create chances with the whole team pressing instead.

Bernardo Silva is a natural 10 but doesn’t really play a 10. He’s out there as a false winger or CM everytime.

The players are out there but the coaches have phased these guys out.

Last edited:
This might just be me but the 10 play style we used to know being phased out the game was pretty much inevitable. The majority of dudes with that play style even the ones that are really good are not in all honesty are still not good enough to warrant building your team around. It is a play style that to get the best out of it you need to build the team around that guy or accept some weak points in the team for the sake of letting them do they thing. Why would anyone do that for a player that’s not genuinely elite. James a perfect example damn good player at his best but good enough to warrant building a team around so he could do his thing? Not a chance.

I do think a manager would still build their team around a 10 they would just need to be an elite level player like top 3 in the world to warrant it otherwise it’s not worth it from a team building perspective.

That’s what I mean tho. Talented players who can characteristically play as an old-school number 10, there are plenty of those guys out there.

They’re just not going to be allowed to play that sole no10 position anymore. The game has evolved.

The number 10 position is going down the route of the 4-4-2 two striker partnership. We’re just not going to be able to see it anymore.

That’s what I mean tho. Talented players who can characteristically play as an old-school number 10, there are plenty of those guys out there.

They’re just not going to be allowed to play that sole no10 position anymore. The game has evolved.

The number 10 position is going down the route of the 4-4-2 two striker partnership. We’re just not going to be able to see it anymore.

I get what you mean. I still think it could exist but it’d be a rare situation now. For someone to just play the old school just attack 10 don’t worry about nothing else they gotta be damn near best player in the world to warrant it for a top manager to build his team around someone with that play style.

Also Lowkey Pep been doing a mini revival but with some twists of the 4-4-2 for at least 3 seasons now at city.

Yea, of course you’ll see it sometimes.

But growing up it was just 4-4-2’s and no number 10’s. :lol:

Wonder what will be next to change 🤔

messi just won the world cup as a 10.
there’s just not abundant number 10’s in the world.
but it there are name some.

Whether you think they’re our there or not.

They won’t be allowed to play the number 10 position.

This is the whole point of the conversation.

The only 10 that is hampered by the lack of that role today is Bernando.
I can't think of any high quality 8/10 that is being held back by the hybrid role outside of him.

Whether you think they’re our there or not.

They won’t be allowed to play the number 10 position.

This is the whole point of the conversation.
i would argue if they were good enough they would be deployed there

would pep or klopp not play messi as a 10 ?

This might just be me but the 10 play style we used to know being phased out the game was pretty much inevitable. The majority of dudes with that play style even the ones that are really good are not in all honesty are still not good enough to warrant building your team around. It is a play style that to get the best out of it you need to build the team around that guy or accept some weak points in the team for the sake of letting them do they thing. Why would anyone do that for a player that’s not genuinely elite. James a perfect example damn good player at his best but good enough to warrant building a team around so he could do his thing? Not a chance.

I do think a manager would still build their team around a 10 they would just need to be an elite level player like top 3 in the world to warrant it otherwise it’s not worth it from a team building perspective.
The 10 being phased out is just an example of football being an ongoing game of chess :pimp:

10s are easy for CDMs to track. Cruyff/total football moved the traditional 10 out wide to counter that. Harder to mark, able to create in the half spaces and centrally. It makes sense that the top attacking coaches would follow suit here.

Another development was to move them deeper, allowing them to get on the ball earlier away from the CDM. The deep lying playmaker could still control the game centrally while not occupying the position of a 10.

For me, 10s stopped being a thing once Pep took over Mourinho’s spot as the top manager. What we are seeing today in its place are 8s, wide playmakers, Registas, and false 9s. All do a bit of the 10 role, but with none of the drawbacks you would get from someone actually playing in that role. In today’s game I don’t think you could build a team around that role.

The 10 being phased out is just an example of football being an ongoing game of chess :pimp:

10s are easy for CDMs to track. Cruyff/total football moved the traditional 10 out wide to counter that. Harder to mark, able to create in the half spaces and centrally. It makes sense that the top attacking coaches would follow suit here.

Another development was to move them deeper, allowing them to get on the ball earlier away from the CDM. The deep lying playmaker could still control the game centrally while not occupying the position of a 10.

For me, 10s stopped being a thing once Pep took over Mourinho’s spot as the top manager. What we are seeing today in its place are 8s, wide playmakers, Registas, and false 9s. All do a bit of the 10 role, but with none of the drawbacks you would get from someone actually playing in that role. In today’s game I don’t think you could build a team around that role.
is argentina not an example of the 10 working?

The 10 still works in a 4-4-2 diamond. Isco was great that season we won with him starting in the CL final in that position. Bellingham has played as a hybrid 10 but has still thrived when he finds himself space where the 10 plays. Even this past weekend Brahim basically slotted as the 10 and is a fairly mid player and scored because of the space it allowed him to have. Imo there is room in the modern game for the 10. It’s just if you’re not the primary guy you’ll have to track back more than if you are the main man but that applies in any formation.

The popularity and ease personnel-wise it is to run a 4-3-3 though doesn’t help.

yes but check his heat map. he was a 10.

he only goes out wide when arg has trouble with the press
While I agree he’s also Messi the ultimate outlier. He can still make it work and is worth making it work in the modern game cause he’s Messi these other dudes don’t measure up and would not be worth letting them play like that.

Last edited:
yes but check his heat map. he was a 10.

he only goes out wide when arg has trouble with the press

I’ll see if I can find his every touch video from the final, but if he is starting wide and then coming in when on the ball or trying to get on the ball then I still wouldn’t call that a 10. If he was positioned mainly behind the striker and solely operating in a creative manner for the team then I would call him a 10. Essentially, position on the pitch and actions of the player is what I would go off of.

For example, if Haaland starts routinely dropping deeper to get on the ball to help move the ball up the pitch then he isn’t technically playing as a striker, he’s playing as a CF. We all know Messi profile is that of a traditional 10, but with the way the game has gone he’s mostly been deployed as a RW(wide playmaker) or false 9(CF).

vtotheinay vtotheinay is sane worth the bag for him to sign a new contract?
he won't be cheap to keep

yeah 100%. I've always been a fan of his and they said he doesn't want a pay rise since he's on like 21m a year already. just wants a 4-5 year extension. I'm bringing him back every day of the week

australian. the highlights in that video are from when he was 15-16 playing in the australian top league
Posted his highlights a little while back and he's been cooking that league as a teenager.

Everyone calls him the best prospect ever to come out of/through Australia. No surprise Bayern end up snapping him up :lol: :smh:

Back
Top Bottom