OFFICIAL HOCKEY THREAD: NHL, KHL, NCAA, IIHL

Originally Posted by True Blues

Originally Posted by frink85

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

can you explain what this is?
if its the same as baseball, WAR is Wins Above Replacement and im assuming GAR is Goals Above Replacement

basically if you remove a player from the lineup and replace him with a benchwarmer or minor leaguer its a number that tells you how much better that player is than the lesser player at his position

edit: i was thinking of VORP for replacing a player with an average player.
Basically, that's it. WAR is a great omnibus statistic for assessing a player's value. In hockey, however, its a bit more difficult to estimate "wins" per se; so given that the team with the most goals wins, the logic is to substitute wins with goals. (I talked to Michael Schuckers briefly about it after the Hockey Analytics panel, and he used a different term than WAR, but I cannot recall what it was exactly-- something to do with Average Goals). Perhaps an easier way to think about it is, "How many goals per 60 minutes does player X add to his team?" or "How many goals per 60 minutes does player X subtract from his team?" This, then, can lead to the creation of an Adjusted Plus/Minus.

Brian Macdonald presented a paper at the conference attempting to do this ("An Expected Goals Model for Evaluating NHL Teams and Players"), but there is some disagreement in the literature as to how to best operationalize expected goals. From what I understand, several others have, or are in process of, constructing their own models.
gotcha...thanks. if i was in town, woulda been cool to attend, even tho im not a huge stat guy. god damn work trip
laugh.gif

Another 30 goal season in the works for Iginla, which is also another wasted year
frown.gif

thank god the bruins held on tonight. that game should have been 5-2 at worst.

jordan caron coming out party on this mini roadie? i like it...

Even though the Jets didn't play it was a good night. Tampa and Toronto loses and Washington only got 1 point

Also, i hope yall saw that 7-1 CAN OF WHOOP @## THE AVS HANDED THE WILD last night

roll.gif

Playin for next year
pimp.gif

In all honesty, i hope we trade Koivu during the summer. He isnt and will never be the guy. Keep Heater, overpay to get Parise here. Get Suter. Trade one of our Goalies. Either Harding or Backstrom.

Call up some young guys and keep them on the roster. I hope we get Zucker called up. but we'll see. Hackett needs to be on the roster full time. Rau showed he can play in the NHL level. Keep devoloping our D-men.

Keep our Hardworkers. Bouchard & Latendresse are still big ?s. 

Originally Posted by PhilBalla09

great win w/o jagr and  vorachek
pimp.gif

just hope bryz can keep this up
nerd.gif
You guys were lucky Datsyuk, Lidstrom, Howard & Bertuzzi were out. Those player don't miss the game and they smash you. Bryz was probably Diddy Boppin when he saw who wasn't going to be facing him. He's been the Wings personal whipping boy his entire career
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Proshares

Originally Posted by JewSeeJay

Originally Posted by Proshares

How does a second line center in Grabovski get that much per?
laugh.gif

lack of number one centers in the league... coupled with the fact that hes a playmaker with one of the best wrist shots in the entire league
he got what he woulda if he tried to walk at seasons end

hopefully Leafs have the cap space to sign another 1b type center tho...

You think?  I don't know if he gets that much on the market TBH.  I mean $5.5 per is a good cap hit.  Who knows though.

Good win for Jersey tonight
pimp.gif
I really hope these two meet in the playoffs, the last few games they've played have been intense.

itd be speculation but ya obv. Burke thought someone would offer at least very close to that...

old man marty... sippin that fountain of youth kool-aid
pimp.gif

and I dont wanna prematurely speculate what the Pens will get done this season... it all depends on Flower...

goin to the game vs Boston Sunday.... hopefully Cindys back

edit: also, the letang situation is dumb... i dunno if i want him back for a cup run or jus to see him 100% next season.. hmmm
ohwell.gif

MN State HS tourney 
pimp.gif

Plus ill be going to the Lets Play Hockey Expo tmw & Saturday ... Hoping to meet a couple Wild players, players from the 80' gold medal team and Brett Hull. 

Those are great seats man

Tonight the Jets are in Calgary, and someone pointed this out to me- its the Atlanta Flames vs. the Atlanta Thrashers

Seriously no one does hockey like Minny. The Lets Play Hockey Expo & The HS Championship game/ State Tourney was tons of fun
pimp.gif

I wish my phone didnt suck !$#+ so i could share pics/vids from the expo & toruney.
Plus Gophs won last night & tonight (7-3) 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by PhilBalla09

roll.gif
at this hartnell/phaneuf beef
laugh.gif

They really hate each other....

My boy Simmonds beat the snot outta Joey Crabb....Crabb picked the wrong dude to fight. 

*Can't figure out this Caps team.  At all.  Happy w. the win yesterday and they got to keep the momentum going tonight vs. the Leafs.  Can't let down at all.  This team is so damn soft tho.  Lucic was putting the fear of God into them.  I wish Erskine dressed instead of Hamrlik....that's one dude who has at least beaten Looch in a fight.  Anyways...let's see how they do later on.

Miami sweeps MSU, advances to Det to play Western Michigan or Ferris State

No Kid today against Boston maybe Thurs

penguins dominating

pull this !%%@%!%%% thomas at intermission, please. bum status #whathaveyoudoneformelately

Back
Top Bottom