OFFICIAL HOCKEY THREAD: NHL, KHL, NCAA, IIHL

and another one...

Tied for the league lead now.

Like it was pointed out, Mike Milbury should personally hand him the Maurice Richard trophy if he wins the goal-scoring title.

Winter Classic [re]announced.

Toronto Maple Leafs v Detroit Red Wings - Jan 1st 2013

Glad they get their WC back.

HBO 24/7 will be back
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Jerseys:
can't wait!!

Sounding like Ducks-Kings at Dodger Stadium in January also. :pimp:

Man, I can't wait. Are you gonna make the trip? Supposed to happen January 25 if I'm not mistaken?

As excited as I am about this, I'm as excited to see what jerseys they come up with... Gretzky era Kings jersey and Disney Mighty Ducks jerseys?? :nerd:

Last edited:
We have been known to have freakish weather in January; hopefully we don't get a heatwave if this game does happen.

Man, I can't wait. Are you gonna make the trip? Supposed to happen January 25 if I'm not mistaken?

As excited as I am about this, I'm as excited to see what jerseys they come up with... Gretzky era Kings jersey and Disney Mighty Ducks jerseys?? :nerd:

As long as the tickets aren't way too expensive there's no way I'm missing it.

BTW what is the concern with the weather? NHL arenas are kept at 58 degrees. In LA in the evening it should be high 40's. As long as it doesn't rain I don't think they'll have problems with the ice.

My man... :lol: You live in Cali.

Water needs a MINIMUM of 32 degrees to FREEZE and stay that way.

And yeah, 58 degrees for the entire arena.. But down at ice level, idk what exactly they do but they maintain the ice by refrigeration. So temps down at ice level is way way cooler than 58degrees and they also have no sun to deal with. But that can only do soo much when they are going up against the whether that cali provides.

I believe when Philly hosted the WC, they delayed because of the sun and it was 40degree weather.. And this is in Philly..

I wish the ice keeping crew the best of luck with maintaining the ice. Im sure itll be a dope atmosphere but players will be sinking into the ice cause of how soft itll be. Itll be like their stuck in quick sand. 40-50 degree lows in the mid of Jan isnt ideal to maintain outdoor ice sheets :lol: That doesnt include the sun nor other conditions such as rain..

I think theyll pull it off though. Idk how they will but im sure theyll work hard as hell.

Temperature: Good Ice vs. Bad Ice
When creating a new ice surface, indoor conditions are very important. MacMillan says he likes to "keep the skating surface at 24 to 26 F (about -4 C), the building temperature at about 63 F (17 C), and the indoor humidity at about 30 percent. But if it's warm outdoors and we have an event where the doors are open and all that warm air comes in, then we have to adjust it. Even one degree can make a big difference in the quality of the ice."
An indoor high humidity can create a fog over the ice. The Raleigh arena has more than 770,000 square feet, and requires 12 dehumidifiers throughout the building to keep the air dry indoors. The outdoor temperature can also affect the ice conditions. The arena and ice temperatures must change to compensate for the heat and humidity that will come in when the arena doors are opened to fans and spectators.
Many NHL players have expressed concerns about ice conditions in very warm-weather cities during the Stanley Cup playoffs. They fear the outdoor temperature may be hot enough to soften the ice inside the building. In Canada, the problem is just the opposite. The buildings often have to be heated because the extremely low temperatures outside can cause problems with the ice.
Ice conditions can vary greatly with a temperature change as small as one degree. The type of water also can change conditions. For example, ice made with water that contains dissolved alkaline salts may have a sticky feel to it and will dull skate blades. To counteract these problems, many rinks -- including the Raleigh arena -- use water purifiers or add chemical conditioners to tap water.
Figure skaters and hockey skaters have different ideas of what good ice and bad ice are. Figure skaters prefer an ice temperature of 26 to 28 F. Ice in that temperature range is softer, so it grips the skate edges better. It is also less likely to shatter under the impact of jumps. Hockey players, though, prefer colder, harder ice. With many skaters on the ice simultaneously, it's easy for the ice surface to get chewed up at the temperatures preferred by figure skaters. For hockey games, the top of the ice is usually kept at 24 to 26 F. Ice that's too warm might cause players to lose their edge during a crucial play, but ice that's too cold may chip too readily.

Last edited:
Obviously the NHL has done their homework and believe that they will be able to maintain the ice just fine. And neither the Philly or Pittsburgh WC were postponed due to temperature. Philly was due to sunlight and wind. Pittsburgh because of rain.

Im just saying, dougie. Not trying to rain on your parade.. No pun intended.

You asked , i answered :lol:

Last edited:
Obviously the NHL has done their homework and believe that they will be able to maintain the ice just fine. And neither the Philly or Pittsburgh WC were postponed due to temperature. Philly was due to sunlight and wind. Pittsburgh because of rain.

:lol: yeah not trying to rain on the parade at all...but sunshine and day time temps in LA aren't going to just be a sure thing. i'm sure if they know they can have the game, it's due to some cooling technology they'll be using, not because the weather will be cold enough. temps in boston were almost a concern leading up to that game, and issues in pittsburg and philly were there. the weather in all three of those cities tends to be more favorable for outdoor games, and they had issues. that's all :lol:

but if there is an LA game, i might need to make the drive down to see it.

^ yeah but as far as the ice itself...all day in the sun isn't great.

like it's been said though, im sure they've got something in mind to keep it cold during the day

Having more than one outdoor game per year is a bad idea IMO. Starts to jump the shark a bit and ruins the attraction to the casual fan

Last edited:
but if there is an LA game, i might need to make the drive down to see it.
If you make it out here I'll buy you a beer. After you drink that beer you can take a photo with a Chicago Blackhawks 2013 Stanley Cup Champions shirt on.
wink.gif

You could see it from last year, those years are starting to take their toll on him. It doesn't help that they have such a God awful power play. Teams know when they take him out and take his lanes away 5-4, he won't be a factor.

Back
Top Bottom