Official HTC Thread Vol. Scribe, Thunderbolt 4G, Evo Shift 4G, Inspire 4G for AT&T

[h1]Tutorial: Get Nice and Sharp Icons on Sense Quick Links in WM6.5[/h1]
File under: News

By: Anton D. Nagy | Date: 22-Nov-09 | 16 Comments

SenseSharp.jpg

By default, HTC Sense - aka Manila 2.5 Home Page Quick Link icon sizes are somewhat larger than the icons in the Windows Mobile 6.5 Start Menu, which are 96 pixels square stock. Being so, assigning a Quick Link shortcut in Sense to a Program from the Start Menu will have the effect of a somewhat blurred and upscaled icon which for me is ruining the whole eye candy.

The key to having nice and sharp icons in Sense Quick Links is having an icon assigned to a program, which doesn't need to be upscaled, but rather downscaled or untouched. For this, I've used 128 pixels square icons. You can find lots on the Internet or if you have spare time, you can create some yourself, as I did.

For example, let's change the icon for Google Maps , which looks rather blurred by default and make it look nice and shiny. Grab the attached png format icon I've edited and attached at the bottom of this post and place it inside GoogleMaps folder on your Device's Program Files folder. Name it whatever you like; we'll name it icon.png in this example. Fire up your Registry Editor and go to HKLM\Security\Shell\StartInfo\Start. This is the place Windows Mobile stores all the information about the Start Menu shortcuts, such as icon information, positioning and timestamp of your last access. Inside HKLM\Security\Shell\StartInfo\Start we'll look for a key with the exact name as your shortcut, in our case Google Maps.lnk (full path: HKLM\Security\Shell\StartInfo\Start\GoogleMaps.lnk). All you need to do is to point to the new icon and you do this by changing the value of Icon string to "\Program Files\GoogleMaps\icon.png" (which is our example case, but paths and icon file names can vary according to your liking).

It is not necessary, but I prefer clearing HTC Sense's icon cache just to make sure the new icon is used, so if you want to do that, go to your Device's \Application Data\HTC\ProgLauncher Folder and delete all the bmg files inside. These are icon caches that will be recreated upon next boot.

Follow the same procedure for all the applications you want to change icons for, just make sure to look for/create the proper key value inside HKLM\Security\Shell\StartInfo\Start. Soft reset and enjoy those nice icons!

[h1]US Cellular Now Shipping CDMA HTC Touch Pro2[/h1]

By: Chuong Nguyen | Date: 23-Nov-09 | 0 Comments

uscellularhtctouchpro2_thumb.png

CDMA provider US Cellular is now joining the ranks of carriers Verizon Wireless and Sprint in launching its own Windows Mobile Touch Pro2 for $200 on contract and after rebates. The device is said to be available now, and shipping sans Opera Mobile out of the box.

http://www.youtube.com/v/YWxSglp0VU...xcfcfcf&hl=en_GB&feature=player_embedded&fs=1http://www.youtube.com/v/YWxSglp0VU...xcfcfcf&hl=en_GB&feature=player_embedded&fs=1
http://www.youtube.com/v/YWxSglp0VU...xcfcfcf&hl=en_GB&feature=player_embedded&fs=1

^^^^ Nice, however, I don't wanna use Manilla 2.5 until a stable version releases. They are basing the current builds off the Leo, which has no physicalkeyboard so u can't really get the best out of it in landscape mode. The Twitter app is appreciated on there, even a facebook app or blogging app would betoo, but I don't see HTC adding those anytime soon.

all I want is htc hd2 +android 2.0+ verizon cause Im tired of waiting for particular phones and if this doesnt happen Im getting the bb tour 2 that should beout by the time we know what company it goes to

A little help from owners of the TP2...

For some reason, my mail (a Yahoo account) had the settings changed. Instead of receiving just my recent mail, it now receives ALL my mail, making my phoneoperate hella slow. Now I can't find where to go to change this setting. Where do I go?

Uh, I couldn't take it anymore so I just ended up deleting my e-mail account from my phone and just setting it up again. It was just weird because I wasgoing through Settings and MMS Options and I couldn't find where to change my phone to just get e-mails from the past 3 days. I don't even know how itgot changed in the first place.
ohwell.gif

[h1]HTC Pure Style: Creative New Theme for Mobile Shell 3.5.1[/h1]

By: CJ Lippstreu | Date: 24-Nov-09 | 0 Comments

purestyle.Jpeg

"HTC Pure Style" is a cool new theme for Mobile Shell 3.5.1. This theme moves all the essential components of Mobile Shell to a vertical sidebar, much like Samsung's TouchWiz UI with its widgets. The bar sticks to the left side on every screen within Mobile Shell, but the main lifestyle sliding panel system remains intact. This gives you the ability to customize your panels and have quick access to vital parts of the shell. Think of it as an expanded version of the default menu bar. It was created by the talented theme makers at MobileCustom, who also made the great Hero themes for MS3-3.5. Features and installation guide are listed below.

Bottom bar functions (left to right): carousel, favorite programs and edit menu.

Sidebar functions (top to bottom):

• Messages - the left corner houses your SMS, Email and missed calls. Clicking on them will take you to those areas of Mobile Shell. It's convenient because it displays your new message count at all times.
• Favorites - this links you to the familiar favorite contacts panel.
• Weather - clicking here will grant you access to the MS weather panel. Once there, tapping the bottom will switch between current conditions and the 5-day forecast.
• Home - the core of Mobile Shell and this theme. Hit this icon and you will always return to your lifestyle sliding panels.
• Launcher - leads you to SPB Menu/Launcher and is skinned with TouchFLO-like icons.
• Wireless/Profiles - change your phone profile, backlight setting and enable/disable wireless connections here.
• Agenda - appointments and calendar.
• Contacts -all of your contacts are displayed.

purestyleall.jpeg

Installation: Make sure you update to the latest version of Mobile Shell, which is v3.5.1 RC. If you already have it installed, it's recommended to do a clean re-install. Next, download the HTC Pure Style CAB from MobileCustom (must register to access file), install and then soft reset. Unfortunately, the theme is only available for WVGA devices, but they're currently working to expand it to VGA/QVGA/WQVGA.

So I havent been on Nt for quite some time. so I wanted to know does anyone know when the official release will be coming out for the TP2?

Originally Posted by SexyJade181

So I havent been on Nt for quite some time. so I wanted to know does anyone know when the official release will be coming out for the TP2?
Majority of carriers have released the TP2
As for the official WM6.5, I'm not 100% about that but I know some have.

So I am reach out to the HTC Hero owners. I really want to try android software and thinking about dropping the 6 bills to get an unlocked Hero from the UK. Iam a current iphone user who really just wants to give the software a test run as a back up phone for now. How are you guys liking this phone?

I really wishe the Eris would come out as a GSM phone, but the Hero will do.

Originally Posted by rowenarrow

So I am reach out to the HTC Hero owners. I really want to try android software and thinking about dropping the 6 bills to get an unlocked Hero from the UK. I am a current iphone user who really just wants to give the software a test run as a back up phone for now. How are you guys liking this phone?

Before you look into getting it from the UK. The Canadian company Telus, has the Hero and it's 3G compatible, I remember reading the company is the samefrequency as AT&T.

Originally Posted by Mastamind89

I think a 32GB maybe
Thanks. Some dude at the AT&T Store told me 8GB because that was the highest capacity they carried at the store and I was thinking that it wascapable of handling bigger capacities than that.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Mastamind89

Originally Posted by rowenarrow

So I am reach out to the HTC Hero owners. I really want to try android software and thinking about dropping the 6 bills to get an unlocked Hero from the UK. I am a current iphone user who really just wants to give the software a test run as a back up phone for now. How are you guys liking this phone?

Before you look into getting it from the UK. The Canadian company Telus, has the Hero and it's 3G compatible, I remember reading the company is the same frequency as AT&T.
Good look

Originally Posted by Chico Cummings

Where else do u get Win Mo apps from besides the Marketplace Holden?
I search XDA-Developers and PPCGeeks.

Paul Is On Tilt, the settings are in there somewhere. I'm using push GMail right now so I can't tell you exactly where they are, but I do believe thesetting can be found in an advanced settings page when going through mail options. Wait, you set it up again? You should be able to get back to that screenthat allows you to select how many days worth of message you want to download.

I'm going to try flashing a ROM tonight. Any recommendations?

Originally Posted by holdenmichael

Originally Posted by Chico Cummings

Where else do u get Win Mo apps from besides the Marketplace Holden?
I search XDA-Developers and PPCGeeks.

Paul Is On Tilt, the settings are in there somewhere. I'm using push GMail right now so I can't tell you exactly where they are, but I do believe the setting can be found in an advanced settings page when going through mail options. Wait, you set it up again? You should be able to get back to that screen that allows you to select how many days worth of message you want to download.

I'm going to try flashing a ROM tonight. Any recommendations?
NRG Photon if it's compatible

[h1]The Android numbers keep growing[/h1]
zvezda2.gif
zvezda2.gif
zvezda2.gif
zvezda2.gif
zvezda2.gif
0.0By James F. Koopmann November 24, 2009 11:32 AM

[table][tr][td]

The Android numbers keep growing​
[/td] [td]
The popularity of Android as a platform seems to be continually growing and growing with analysts continually adjusting their perception on just how Android will look in the future. For our number-crunching pleasure, according to Gartner research, Android will be the second largest smartphone platform in just three short years. And Android will have 14.5% of the market by 2012 with 76 million units sold.

Further reported, and adding credibility to the Gartner research, Tom Kang, senior analyst at Strategy Analytics claims that the "forecast global Android smartphone shipments to grow an impressive 900% percent annually during 2009." Also, Neil Mawston, Director at Strategy Analytics, added, "Android has fast been winning healthy support among operators, vendors and developers. A relatively low-cost licensing model, its semi-open-source structure and Google's support for cloud services have encouraged companies such as HTC, Motorola, Samsung, T Mobile, Vodafone and others to support Android OS. It is now in a good position to become a top-tier player in smartphones over the next two to three years."
[/td] [/tr][/table]

I just got a TP2 after going through 6 TPs in just over a year, free upgrade through Asurion
smokin.gif

HOW DO I FLASH

I've tried following PPC, but there's too many .cabs to place together I get lost and overly frustrating just reading that $#%+
laugh.gif

Does anybody know which carrier the HD2 is coming out on cause I heard verizon may get it but it would be under another name and instead of using winmo 6.5 itwould be android 2.0 if so can someone confirm cause I really hope so and if not I will be getting a bb tour 2 cause Im tired of holding out for htc

Originally Posted by CherryJ23

Does anybody know which carrier the HD2 is coming out on cause I heard verizon may get it but it would be under another name and instead of using winmo 6.5 it would be android 2.0 if so can someone confirm cause I really hope so and if not I will be getting a bb tour 2 cause Im tired of holding out for htc

What you heard is horribly off lol
The phone is already out in the UK and is running WM6.5 and will upgradable to WM7
As for the provider, rumor says T-Mobile.

http://htcsource.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=832&Itemid=1
Mysterious job posting hints at T-Mobile HTC Hero [table][tr][td]Written by Nick Gray [/td] [/tr][tr][td]Wednesday, 25 November 2009[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
tmobile_hero.jpg

A lot of people were disappointed when T-Mobile announced that they didn't have any plans to release the HTC Hero in the U.S. market. Granted, they were asked the question during the launch of the myTouch 3G and to be fair, their response was more like "we CURRENTLY have no plans." Since then, the HTC Hero has shown up on Sprint, Verizon (DROID Eris), and even Telus up in Canada. But it appears as if T-mobile USA may be keeping a secret. Back in early August, HTC accidentally launched the HTC Hero (T-Mobile USA) support page on their site. That's not a huge deal, but they also did the same for the Sprint HTC Hero which is now on sale. Now, TmoNews has just uncovered a new job listing from T-Mobile which might hold a few new clues about the Hero coming to the U.S. market. The job title says it all: "Senior Product Manager, Hero Handsets." Ok so that could simply indicate that T-Mobile is working on a new line of handsets, but I don't think that it's any coincidence that the job location is in Bellvue, WA. That's right, the same Bellvue, WA where HTC's North American headquarters is located. If that doesn't convince you that HTC and T-Mobile are working together to release a GSM Hero, I don't know what will.

Check out the full job posting after the jump.

Source: TmoNews
[/td] [/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td]
http://www.tmonews.com/2009/11/t-mobile-job-opening-leads-to-speculation/
[/td] [/tr][/table]
I wish AT&T was on better terms with Google
frown.gif

Edit:
[h1][/h1]
[h1]T-Mobile to offer the HTC Hero-NOT![/h1]
zvezda.gif
zvezda.gif
zvezda.gif
zvezda.gif
zvezda.gif
5.0By James F. Koopmann November 26, 2009 12:22 PM

[table][tr][td]

T-Mobile to offer the HTC Hero-NOT!​
[/td] [td]
T-Mobile CTO Cole Brodman flat-out said that T-Mobile "has no plans to bring the HTC Hero to market." This seemed at the time, and still does, a very bold and straight to the point answer to the heated question regarding T-Mobile's future of offering the HTC Hero. But it would seem that the rumors are beginning to fly; is this some distant hope that T-Mobile may change their minds?

I really wonder how and why these rumors start at times. For this particular rumor it all stems from a little job posting on the T-Mobile jobsite-stating a need for a "Product Manager HERO Handsets". While T-Mobile might have come up with a better title to avoid confusion with the HTC Hero, the job listing clearly states:

These devices expand customers' imaginations through outstanding experiences, and receive the highest levels of organizational support, including product development resources, marketing campaigns, sales priority and partner focus. At T-Mobile, we call these devices our HERO Handsets.

Clearly, at least to me, the HERO title refers to something quite different than the HTC Hero. Could an HTC Hero be included in the category mentioned above by T-Mobile? Yes. But until we actually see some real evidence I would hope silly stretched rumors would stop leading us down the wrong path.
[/td] [/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td] [/td] [/tr][/table]

Should I go ahead and upgrade to TP2 ?
btw just got the TP less than 2 weeks now
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by gunitg23

Should I go ahead and upgrade to TP2 ?
btw just got the TP less than 2 weeks now
ohwell.gif

If you really want to, go for it.
If it's not gonna cost you anything or the cost isn't a problem, do so.

Back
Top Bottom