Official iPad Thread ("New iPad' to launch March 16 **Details Inside**)

Originally Posted by Degenerate423

Originally Posted by kickz4242

^ I just got one and was thinking the same thing, what if I don't use it that much but the thing I've noticed on eBay at least is the re-sale value even for used ipad's is still quite solid. I'd say do it, jailbreak it and enjoy it...
Originally Posted by Sundizzle

I'm really contemplating picking one of these up cuz I'm going out of town for a week, so I wanna be able to watch movies and shows on the flight and when I'm in the hotel.  The only thing holding me back is if I don't end up using it that much and I get stuck with it
ohwell.gif
.  Any advice?...

Honestly, it does so much that for traveling there is no reason you wouldn't use it.  If you have a real 'reason' for using it though I'd get an ipad, not just for a one-time flight deal.  For example, the things that I do everyday on an ipad (I have to take the subway everyday):
(In order of how much time I spend using..)
1. Study GRE (GRE Connect app, can practice vocab, and questions all day)

2. Read books (really nice way to improve my vocab, and do it in a fun way). Just finished 5 books of "A Song of Fire and Ice" (Game of Thrones books).  That's well over 2k pages in 3 weeks.  It really makes time go by quickly on the subway.

3. Play games (wtv you want, golf, angry bird, etc etc, it's mad fun).

4.  Make to-do lists, and little reminders

5.  Watch movies or shows.  I just have the VLC player app and most avi/any type of file plays pretty well on it.

I only have a wi-fi version so mine is straight productivity at this point.  Don't really use it for facebook, or to check anything internet related. If you don't travel, don't read, don't have anything to study for, it really may not be worth it.  You could always just use a laptop or desktop if your needs are that minimal.  It's niceeee to lay in bed and facebook, but honestly that's not really worth the pricetag.

Thanks for replies.  I think I might pass on it then because I'm still in school, so I don't travel much and I don't see it helping me study much for my classes neither.  I was mainly going to use it for multimedia things like watching movies, internet browsing, etc. since it gets better battery life than my laptop and it's more portable.  But, like Sundizzle said, it's probably not worth the price for just those things.  Really appreciate the help though
pimp.gif
Really not a bad investment then my man. I use my iPad probably just as much as my computer if not even more this summer. I use it for pretty much everything sundizzle wrote and more sometimes...
Sundizzle great looks I didn't know they had a VLC player for the Pad I just paid for Azul. No more looking up movies in Mp4 or M4v format.... 
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by kickz4242

^ I just got one and was thinking the same thing, what if I don't use it that much but the thing I've noticed on eBay at least is the re-sale value even for used ipad's is still quite solid. I'd say do it, jailbreak it and enjoy it...
Originally Posted by Sundizzle

I'm really contemplating picking one of these up cuz I'm going out of town for a week, so I wanna be able to watch movies and shows on the flight and when I'm in the hotel.  The only thing holding me back is if I don't end up using it that much and I get stuck with it
ohwell.gif
.  Any advice?...

Honestly, it does so much that for traveling there is no reason you wouldn't use it.  If you have a real 'reason' for using it though I'd get an ipad, not just for a one-time flight deal.  For example, the things that I do everyday on an ipad (I have to take the subway everyday):
(In order of how much time I spend using..)
1. Study GRE (GRE Connect app, can practice vocab, and questions all day)

2. Read books (really nice way to improve my vocab, and do it in a fun way). Just finished 5 books of "A Song of Fire and Ice" (Game of Thrones books).  That's well over 2k pages in 3 weeks.  It really makes time go by quickly on the subway.

3. Play games (wtv you want, golf, angry bird, etc etc, it's mad fun).

4.  Make to-do lists, and little reminders

5.  Watch movies or shows.  I just have the VLC player app and most avi/any type of file plays pretty well on it.

I only have a wi-fi version so mine is straight productivity at this point.  Don't really use it for facebook, or to check anything internet related. If you don't travel, don't read, don't have anything to study for, it really may not be worth it.  You could always just use a laptop or desktop if your needs are that minimal.  It's niceeee to lay in bed and facebook, but honestly that's not really worth the pricetag.

Thanks for replies.  I think I might pass on it then because I'm still in school, so I don't travel much and I don't see it helping me study much for my classes neither.  I was mainly going to use it for multimedia things like watching movies, internet browsing, etc. since it gets better battery life than my laptop and it's more portable.  But, like Sundizzle said, it's probably not worth the price for just those things.  Really appreciate the help though
pimp.gif
Really not a bad investment then my man. I use my iPad probably just as much as my computer if not even more this summer. I use it for pretty much everything sundizzle wrote and more sometimes...
Sundizzle great looks I didn't know they had a VLC player for the Pad I just paid for Azul. No more looking up movies in Mp4 or M4v format.... 
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by sneakaprince

pimp.gif

After thinking about it for a minute, I just feel like during the school year I'm gonna be on my laptop most of the time doing coding and whatnot, so it won't get much use.  I wish I could just have one for the remainder of my summer and get rid of it
laugh.gif
, but then I'd probably have to take the L on $100 or so to sell it to someone
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by sneakaprince

pimp.gif

After thinking about it for a minute, I just feel like during the school year I'm gonna be on my laptop most of the time doing coding and whatnot, so it won't get much use.  I wish I could just have one for the remainder of my summer and get rid of it
laugh.gif
, but then I'd probably have to take the L on $100 or so to sell it to someone
ohwell.gif

Is the jailbreak worth it? Does it make the iPad that much more dope than it already is? I'm sans iphone so the emulator does nothing for me. It's pretty cool though.

I can always revert back to factory settings right?

SN: Check out "South Surfers" - an addictive surfing penguin game. It's free.

Beat my score of 10,172 while you're at it.

Is the jailbreak worth it? Does it make the iPad that much more dope than it already is? I'm sans iphone so the emulator does nothing for me. It's pretty cool though.

I haven't jailbreaked mine and I am perfectly content. I'm not super tech savvy though nor do I care that much.

I haven't jailbreaked mine and I am perfectly content. I'm not super tech savvy though nor do I care that much.

Originally Posted by balloonoboy

YES!!! Jail breaking it is absolutely worth it. You can change the stock look. I have a clock as my wallpaper with the weather in my area and a different theme. I also installed a program called installous which allows you to download any paid app for free. I've got Notetaker HD,FIFA,Madden,NBA Elite,NBA Jam,Real Racing HD,%*@%!+!%! and many more all for free
smile.gif

Originally Posted by balloonoboy

YES!!! Jail breaking it is absolutely worth it. You can change the stock look. I have a clock as my wallpaper with the weather in my area and a different theme. I also installed a program called installous which allows you to download any paid app for free. I've got Notetaker HD,FIFA,Madden,NBA Elite,NBA Jam,Real Racing HD,%*@%!+!%! and many more all for free
smile.gif

Wow so anyone that jailbroken HAS to get xbmc and install the ice films add-on. Streaming all kinds of movies and tv shows even in hd, all the newest stuff even stuff in the theaters, also has all of my favorite shows. I'm about to cancel my Netflix lol.

Wow so anyone that jailbroken HAS to get xbmc and install the ice films add-on. Streaming all kinds of movies and tv shows even in hd, all the newest stuff even stuff in the theaters, also has all of my favorite shows. I'm about to cancel my Netflix lol.

Originally Posted by KickHead23

How do I get xbmc??  I'm jailbroken, but don't know what that is 
embarassed.gif
frown.gif
nerd.gif

How do I get xbmc??  I'm jailbroken, but don't know what that is 
embarassed.gif
frown.gif
nerd.gif

can we get a step by step thanks

can we get a step by step thanks

Yea I'll post links tomorrow for y'all I'm on the iPad from bed about to crash and the links are bookmarked on my mbp. Y'all can start by dl'ing xbmc from Cydia though and also open ssh and then winscp on your computer if you don't have them already.

Yea I'll post links tomorrow for y'all I'm on the iPad from bed about to crash and the links are bookmarked on my mbp. Y'all can start by dl'ing xbmc from Cydia though and also open ssh and then winscp on your computer if you don't have them already.

Ssh???? Winscp???? Can already tell this is some go deep into the matrix type %$!$
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Ok I got 2apps that seem to be for ever in the waiting mood how do I find that?

Ssh???? Winscp???? Can already tell this is some go deep into the matrix type %$!$
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Ok I got 2apps that seem to be for ever in the waiting mood how do I find that?

Son...son...

[I just don't wanna brick my !$!+.]

Son...son...

[I just don't wanna brick my !$!+.]

Is there any update on if and when comcast will support the watch ESPN app.

I am really wishing i could watch european soccer games on my ipad soon. 

Also is there a way to stream things for free that more then likely require flash.  For example i can find good streams of PPV Boxing matches on my computer (pac vs mosely) but can't on my ipad.

Is there any update on if and when comcast will support the watch ESPN app.

I am really wishing i could watch european soccer games on my ipad soon. 

Also is there a way to stream things for free that more then likely require flash.  For example i can find good streams of PPV Boxing matches on my computer (pac vs mosely) but can't on my ipad.

Back
Top Bottom