Official Jazz thread

Oh, I love Birk's Works.  

And yeah, I only knew it as Mack The Knife... 

Who's up for some bossa nova?

Bebel Gilberto - Samba da Bencao

One of the sexist voices ever...I could listen to her sing Old McDonald...

Celso Fonseca & Cibelle - Ela E Carioca

Song made famous by Joao Gilberto, done here beautifully by Celso & Cibelle on Jools Holland back in '03...

Joao Gilberto - Chega de Saudade

Can't take about bossa nova & not post a beautiful Joao song...

can anyone help with the name/genre for this kind of jazz? that 80s skinemax/player dad type sound.

Last edited:
So I'm listening to Ready to Die last week, and Biggie was saying some foul **** throughout the entire album...it hit me like I need some music that is soothing and not so vulgar. Getting older...but hip hop will always be my musical genre of choice. I basically grew up with it...but times change along with one's taste in music...I guess.

Finished up the autobiography of Miles Davis a few years back and really want to get more into jazz. I'm going back through this thread to see what some of y'all are into...not familiar with jazz at all other than the artist themselves.

I downloaded Kind of Blue and *****'s Brew yesterday and I like what I hear so far...thread is bookmarked.

Anyone familiar with the person who did the score for most of Spike Lee's earlier films?

Last edited:
So I'm listening to Ready to Die last week, and Biggie was saying some foul **** throughout the entire album...it hit me like I need some music that is soothing and not so vulgar. Getting older...but hip hop will always be my musical genre of choice. I basically grew up with it...but times change along with one's taste in music...I guess.
Finished up the autobiography of Miles Davis a few years back and really want to get more into jazz. I'm going back through this thread to see what some of y'all are into...not familiar with jazz at all other than the artist themselves.
I downloaded Kind of Blue and *****'s Brew yesterday and I like what I hear so far...thread is bookmarked.
Anyone familiar with the person who did the score for most of Spike Lee's earlier films?

The cat you're referring to is a trumpet player for 'Nawlins, Terence Blachcard. He first worked on Mo Better Blues with Branford Marsalis & then pretty much did the soundtracks for all (or almost all) of Spike's movies. Prior to Terence, Spike's father Bill did the soundtracks whose a bassist. Love his work.

Terence Blanchard - Sing Soweto

^ Always good to to see new folks willing to give this genre a shot.  I think with people who listen to hiphop, given how so many producers have sampled old jazz tunes as well as relationship between jazz-&-hiphop, many hiphop-heads can appreciate jazz.

Anyway, continuing with bossa...

good look on this forum,

jazz artists are hard to find these days, low key.

the oldies are legit all the time though.

:smokin

^ Yeah, for me, it was and always will be... the oldies... can't go wrong with the classics.

Back
Top Bottom