Official Jazz thread

John Coltrane - Minor Mishap

Wow, I've seen a couple of eye opening things, an indie band in Russia called ***** Riot that got sent to jail over a song about Putin & a Korean jazz (bossa nova) group.

Wes-
I know you said your girls Korean-Amercian, do you understand the language?

Sinner P's post that had Flanagan made me think of this song.

Coltrane (s)
Tommy Flanagan (p)
Kenny Burrell (g)
Idress Sulieman (t)
Doug Watkins (b)
Louis Hayes (d)

John Coltrane - Bahia

Always liked the grove on this song. I read somewhere that a lot of Coltrane's Prestige recordings were released after he left the label & this one was pieced together from 2 different sessions on Rudy Van Gelder's studio...RVG is such a fascinating dude. How many people can say they had a job working with something/people he truly loved & contribute to?

John Coltrane - Minor Mishap
Wow, I've seen a couple of eye opening things, an indie band in Russia called ***** Riot that got sent to jail over a song about Putin & a Korean jazz (bossa nova) group.
Wes-
I know you said your girls Korean-Amercian, do you understand the language?

:lol: I heard about those girls, didn't know they actually got convicted because of it though. That's ridiculous.

And not at all. Only word I know is thank you, these Koreans own the best wing spot in town and when I say thanks in korean they hook me up with a discount lol

^ I've actually heard of the Winterplay.  They tend to promote Asian bands more here in Asia.  More of a Norah Jones-feel to them.

Anyway, "Royale with Cheese"...

Sonny Clark - Blue Minor & Deep Night

Cool Struttin' is an underrated album...

Last edited:
I haven't really listened to too much Sonny Clark, but I do have this album and I like it.

Last edited:
Good stuff! 

I don't have the Cool Struttin' album too... will need that!

Getz and Baker.

Sting - Moon Over Bourbon St (live)

I may have posted this before but I think it was lost when NT changed. This song was originally released in '85 on Sting's Dream Of Blue Turtles. The song was inspired by Anne Rice's Interview With A Vampire waaaaay before vampires became so cool.

Also, this concert was supposed to be live on the web from his home in Tuscany Italy on 9/11/01 which is the day the attacks occurred here in the US. He decided to hold the concert anyway as a way to help with the healing...

I know this isn't necessarily jazz, but at least it has Christian McBride & Chris Botti...Posted this song because it played just know while my Iphone was on shuffle mode...

Guitarist Lionel Loueke has a new album on Blue Note that I think drops today. I love how he mixes African rhythms into his music.

I'm not too knowledgeable about Jazz, but I'm a huge fan of Cal Tjader and Hubert Laws. What are some other artists I might enjoy? thanks in advance :smile:

Not too familiar with Law, but I really like Cal Tjader's stuff... 

The few CD's of his that I have are of the samba/bossa nova variety... so perhaps you can start there?

Or do you like jazz with vibes, which in that case you can try artists like Milt Jackson.

Christian Scott - Pyrrhic Victory Of aTunde Adjuah & Jihad Joe

The new Christian Scott is fire. It's a very audacious double album & he really celebrates his 'Nawlins heritage. Just not in the obvious way. This guy took a bold step to the front of the class with this release by not going the r&b - hip hop route some of his young peers have gone recently (yes I'm talking about Glasper).

Heard a young lady singing this while out last weekend. Stopped me right in my tracks.

Miles Davis - Blues By Five

This played in the last episode of season 2 of Treme. Can't wait for the 3rd season to start later this month. The dude that picks the music for this show is my hero...

Red Garland Trio with Coleman Hawkins - Red Beans & Rice

I'm not sure Red garners the same type of attention & Pub as other piano players from the golden age of bebop but he's as solid as a good plate of well...red beans & rice wit' some hot sauce...

Back
Top Bottom