Official Jazz thread

Jazz For Japan - Maiden Voyage

Tom Scott (s)
Everette Harp (s)
Billy Childs (p)
Nathan East (b)
Steve Gadd (d)

Haven't listened to this CD in a while. Benefit album released a couple of years ago for Tsunami relief efforts.

Man psk you keep blessing me with artists I've never heard of. Ryo Fukui is great, going to check out more of his stuff

Jiro Inagaki - Gentle Wave & Breeze

This isn't jazz, but I think it's appropriate for the thread. 70's Japanese soul funk. I have the CD, but I've been trying to find it on vinyl...I love love love the sound of the Fender Rhodes...

Stan Getz/Joao & Astrud Gilberto - Corcovado (alternate take)

This is on one of the reissues I've purchased over the years. I think I have 4 versions of this album on CD...I think I might like this version the best...A little more down tempo (if that's possible)...

^ I think I have a few different cuts of that song too... spread over various CD's.

I can never get sick of listening to it... 
smokin.gif

The Bad Plus - People Like You ft. Joshua Redman (live 7/23/12)

I've noticed Redman playing a lot with The Bad Plus. I hope they record an album together...

never been a big jazz person, but i recently started listening to charles mingus' stuff on spotify. dope stuff :pimp:

Branford Marsalis Quartet - The Ruby & The Pearl, Gloomy Sunday, & Dinner For One Please

Last edited:
John Coltrane & Johnny Hartman - My One and Only Love

I don't think there is any sax player that has the tone Coltrane has...

A little different but I absolutely love the Adderley brothers.

This album is incredible. I was disappointed that Libra sounded really soft...hahah

Nice truseone. The genre for the song/album you posted is generally called Soul Jazz. If you Google search a top albums list, you'll find some real gems.

Donald Byrd-Think Twice. Sampled by A Tribe Called Quest (Footprints)

Jimmy Smith - Root Down (and Get It). Sampled by The Beastie Boys (Rootdown)

Grant Green - Sookie Sookie. Sampled by US3

Grant Green - Down here on the Ground. Sampled by A Tribe Called Quest, Cypress Hill, & Pete Rock & CL Smooth

Dida & Roy Hargrove - Fried Pies & Can't Take My Eyes You

Wow another Israeli (like Shimrit Shoshan from page 21).

Last edited:
Damn, this thread really blew-up overnight.

Soul jazz eh? 

This some funky-ace ish, right here!

If your looking for an introduction to jazz, Wes' thread quite frankly is a great resource. The first half of the pages that had vids is proly gone due to the transition from yuku to the current platform but the back half of the pages are chock full of great tunes/artists...Take some time & go through the pages...You won't be disappointed.

Christian Scott - Isadora (live 10/19/12 St. Louis Jazz at the Bistro).

Scott is the defest young cat out there right now. He doesn't have to go the hip hop route so that he can move some units to make some dough. He's staying with his roots & using New 'Awlins as his inspiration but not in the most obvious ways. I love this cat. He's debuting his new quintet on some dates around the country. Not sure if this is a full tour. If he comes to your hood & you like jazz, please support this cat. It's great seeing young brothers doing their thing...

You can down load 2 sets he played in St. Louis back on the 19th using the link below. One of the sets includes his cover of Jay Z/Kanye's No Church In The Wild. He also does a Wayne Shorter & Herbie Hancock cover to. Enjoy...

http://funkit.virose.net/?p=3142

Future-
One blog/site I like (in addition to the one DT43 mentioned above) is Funk It (http://funkit.virose.net/).

Herbie Hancock & Jaco Pastorius - Chameleon (live 1977)

Herbie playing his most famous electric song with the bass great....

Back
Top Bottom