Official Jazz thread

Another Getz tracked. Performed in english by Astrud Gilberto.
Honestly if it wasn't for this thread I would of never got into bossa nova. I've always heard "Girl from Ipanema" and liked it but had no idea who it was by. Someone posted it in here then I looked into more of Stan Getz work, found more Astrud Gilberto and then Bebel Gilberto. I'm still pretty new to bossa nova but I'm def a fan of it now
Nice... Haven't listened to that song in a while.

Was going through my aunt's old records a few years back and found 2 Astrud albums. Gave em all to me cuz she didn't have a record-player anymore... score!

For this next clip, I originally saw a snippet of it back in the early 90's on the "Carnegie Hall Salutes The Jazz Masters" concert VHS.  It stuck in my mind cuz I remember wanting to see the rest of it!  Fast-forward 10+ years later, I was able to find it in its entirety on Youtube...! 

Someone in the comments posted this. If it's true then this is one meannnn ensemble. I could use more Bill Evans' albums
Chet Baker - trumpet
Herbie Mann - flute
Pepper Adams - baritone saxophone
Bill Evans - piano
Kenny Burrell - guitar
Paul Chambers - bass
Connie Kay - drums

Bill Evans Trio - Gloria's Step (take 2)

Live albums can be hit or miss for me, but if you like Bill Evans in a trio. This is good. I pulled this out the other night while making dinner...

Bill Evans - Peace Piece

You might hear elements in this song that sound familiar...

Last edited:
Bill Evans - Some Other Time

I can't remember what album this came from but this track was released with a reissue. It's a cover of a Leonard Bernstein song. Evans than started working on Peace Piece which later became another famous song he collaborated on....Can you guess what it is?

No idea. Which song is it?

I just found out he did an album with Stan Getz too.

Last edited:
No idea. Which song is it?

I just found out he did an album with Stan Getz too.

Bill Evans song ended up becoming Flamenco Sketches on Miles Davis' Kind Of Blue. Bill had been working on his album & playing around Leonard Bernstein's song. He then used some of the melodic components for his piece.

Although he recorded Bernstein's Some Other Time during one of his sessions, he didn't have the rights to it. The recording was put on a reissue when the label had the rights.

Evans worked on Kind Of Blue & Miles really liked Evan's Peace Piece so he got the rights to Bernstein's song.

It's funny that some people have issues with hip hop sampling tunes, but it's kinda been going on for a long long time (even preceding jazz). Shoot even writers do it.

That's my little lesson in jazz history for today...Happy Friday....

Miles Davis - Flamenco Sketches

Diana Krall & Russell Malone - Hit That Jive Jack, They Can't Take That Away,

Russell Malone & Romero Lubambo - Beautiful Love

Posting this again because it's the legendary Romero Lubambo....

Branford Marsalis Quartet - As Summer Into Autumn Slips

Appropriate tune....Another great release from Branford...Four MFs Playin' Tune....Sho nuff...

Branford Marsalis Quartet - Teo

This wasn't on the album but I love his version of the Monk tune...I love the drumming on Brandford's version...

I just found her on youtube and this is the only song I've heard from her. But I like it, going to look more into her.
Molly Johnson - I Must of Left my Heart

Miles Davis - Something I Dreamed Last Night

Miles (t)
Red Garland (p)
Paul Chambers (b)
Philly Joe Jones (d)

Bill Evans Trio - Explorations (Full Album)

Yo Wes, this is a solid Bill Evans album....Found the full thing on YouTube...

01. Israel - 6.10
02. Haunted Heart - 3.25
03. Beautiful Love (take 2) - 5.04
04. Elsa - 5.09
05. Nardis - 5.49
06. How Deep Is the Ocean? - 3.31
07. I Wish I Knew - 4.39
08. Sweet and Lovely - 5.52
09. Beautiful Love (take 1) - 6.04
10. The Boy Next Door - 5.06

Bill Evans (p)
Scott LaFaro (b)
Paul Motian (d)

The Bad Plus - Everybody Wants To Rule The World

Love the original & this version...Posting again...

John Coltrane - Acknowledgement

Sunday morning inspiration...Also posting Brandford Marsalis' version (live from Amsterdam 2004) to.

Back
Top Bottom