Official Jazz thread

Christian Scott Atunde Adjuah's third part of his trilogy album dropped last week. All three parts of the album are awesome.

Miles Davis - Foot Prints

I love Christian Scott, but not feeling his new release. I like Kamasi Washington's new EP.

Miles Smiles is a really great album. Not sure if it's one of his most popular or not. I love that Herbie Hancock's playing is so sparse on this recording.

I read before recording this album, Miles asked Herbie not to play with his left hand. Piano players normally use their left to lock in on the harmony of a song. Using mostly his right enabled Herbie to open up harmonically to be able to play free form without being tied down to chords.

Branford Marsalis - Again Never

Is it accurate to say Mo Better Blues is an under appreciated movie? This scene was so heartbreaking when Bleek couldn't play...

John Coltrane Mo Better Blues A Love Supreme Montage.

One of Spike's fortes is montages... The use of Acknowledgement from John Coltrane's A Love Supreme is a thing of beauty. I always appreciated his father's string arrangements on the scores he did for Spike.

Last edited:
went to my first jazz show last week

it was part of winter jazzfest in NYC. an all UK lineup. BBC will post up the whole show in a few weeks and I'll remember to share it here. really amazing music.

the bands I caught were:

Nubya Garcia
Yazz Ahmed
and The Comet is Coming

all worth a look if you have apple music or whatever streaming service you use

One thing I've come to appreciate about jazz is how relevant it becomes the older you get and the more your life experience through the highs & lows grows. When I was a kid the closest thing that I cared for when it came to Jazz was listening to hip-hop through the 80's, 90's, 2000's and my mother would play old soul and R&B joints from the 60s, 70s, 80s, & 90s. I know it's not jazz but there are elements there.

I've been slacking on my vinyl listening since getting a new pup in early June. Hopefully soon enough....Glad there's this thread to check in on.

I've been slacking on my vinyl listening since getting a new pup in early June. Hopefully soon enough....Glad there's this thread to check in on.

Nice to see another vinyl collector in here. Have you seen the upcoming impulse/verve reissues that Chad Kassem was put in charge of? All are going to be AAA releases. There’s some heavy hitters coming up.

Nice to see another vinyl collector in here. Have you seen the upcoming impulse/verve reissues that Chad Kassem was put in charge of? All are going to be AAA releases. There’s some heavy hitters coming up.

I didn't see that, thanks for letting me know 🤙🏻

^Heard good things bout the show - that tune is golden . It's part of Bobby Timmons' oeuvre (he wrote so many dope compositions while also playing at a high level in Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers & Cannonball's quintet + more)

The crescendo right before Bobby's outro always gets me hyped !

Live version (from around the time the album dropped) :

Two other compositions from Bobby you might dig :
Dat Dere

This Here

Back
Top Bottom