Official Jazz thread

Sounds good , will start it soon w/ the wife ~

I got some jazz program auditions coming up in Jan and I'm starting to get the nerves . . it's consumed so much of my time and energy over the past few years man . Tripping on it all caused me to smoke way too many jazz cigarettes over the past two weeks -.-' Gonna lockdown in the shed for two months

Got off work early today , sparked my last j and listened to some of these songs

RIP

Would love to hear some of your stuff... unless that was you in that vid? 😅

But anyway... Roy Hargrove. One of the first jazz CD's I got back in the early-90's was The Tokyo Sessions (Antonio Hart and Roy Hargrove)... and it's still one of my fav CD's to this day. Even got to see RH & Herbie Hancock (!!!) live in the 2000's! Naturally, had to ask RH sign my Tokyo Sessions CD and Herbie sign my Headhunters vinyl.

That's not me in the vid haha , was just sharing Nubya's work ! Got a homie helping out with recording/creating my audition tape so once it's polished off and submitted I'll be sure to share

Roy is a King man . I've heard so many stories of him staying late/popping up for the jam sessions at Small's , which gave all the up and comers a chance to play with a heavyweight . I will repost this (from a diff thread) cuz you might really dig/appreciate it ! There's a documentary about him on youtube and a trailer for another one which I believe is in the works .

Hoping that scenes in cities across the globe come back full swing post-covid

Yo you have an autographed HH vinyl from Herbie , and got RH to sign Tokyo Sessions too ?! That is LEGIT !! So awesome you got to see them ! I'm starting to get into vinyl , no real setup yet just a basic Numark that I use to sample for boom bap beats . I got a nascent collection sprouting up from digging in the crates at my local swapmeet/flea market/goodwill etc , but I definitely want to learn more so I can invest in a proper sound system

This guy is a regular at this lil butcher shop in Santa Monica I was workin for earlier this year . Older dude , in his 60s/70s - and a straight guitar ripper . I complimented a Monk tshirt he was wearing one day and it sparked into a nice convo about music and jazz - he gave me his business card and told me to give him a call to jam sometime . Hope he's doing well and I will take him up on that offer soon

I just can't get into the modern stuff, With so much stuff out there from the mid 20th century I have yet to discover I just feel like I am waisting time listening to the new stuff

Last edited:
Japanese jazz... don't get a lot of that in here!
But the Japanese love their jazz and do have some fantastic musicians!

Back
Top Bottom