Official Jeremy Lin Thread.

Landry Fields @landryfields

Ladies and gentlemen, the one and only couch made famous by@JLin7! Let the bidding begin.. twitpic.com/8j2vf7

ra0y13.jpg

from Jerry West...

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawaka...on-jeremy-lin-my-god-hes-a-tremendous-player/

“If you watch, Chris Paul looks like he’s out there going to sleep playing basketball, just little subtle shifts and maneuvers with the ball.

“(Lin)’s not as gifted with the ball as Paul, but he’s really a very clever player. He’s hard to read defensively; teams are putting different defensive players on him, and he just goes by them.

“I definitely think he’s a starter,

Landry Fields @landryfields

Ladies and gentlemen, the one and only couch made famous by@JLin7! Let the bidding begin.. twitpic.com/8j2vf7

ra0y13.jpg

from Jerry West...

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawaka...on-jeremy-lin-my-god-hes-a-tremendous-player/

“If you watch, Chris Paul looks like he’s out there going to sleep playing basketball, just little subtle shifts and maneuvers with the ball.

“(Lin)’s not as gifted with the ball as Paul, but he’s really a very clever player. He’s hard to read defensively; teams are putting different defensive players on him, and he just goes by them.

“I definitely think he’s a starter,

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

Scientific Method:
Ska, we had a BULLS FAN mention him in the same sentence with Derrick Rose and Russell Westbrook.
Well hell, Lin = D.Rose/Russy, then.
laugh.gif
What up:
pr0phecy718:
Even the owner of the NY Giants said Lin is the Victor Cruz of the NBA. It was in today's NY Daily News paper.
Word, the owner of the NY Giants?

Well +%%$, then it must be true.
Exactly.

I've just always found comparisons to be silly. I know that sports comparisons aren't going anywhere anytime soon, but I just personally always found them to be silly. Like, when a guy's doing good, I would rather just talk about his greatness than complete the sentence "You know, he reminds me of...", or "This is like when..."

Like I said, I know it's just me. I mean, not JUST me, but yeah.
laugh.gif

ska, you gotta understand...The Giants were looking like they were on the verge of missing the playoffs. Tom Coughlin was on the verge of getting fired as well. Victor Cruz, an undrafted WR, came out of nowhere and gave the Giants a much needed boost to save the season.  Now, I'm not trying to the knicks will ultimately end up with the same result as the Giants this past month...But, SKA, i don't have to tell you- the knicks were crap! LOL...Fans wanted to get D'Antoni fired, trade players, looking at draft prospects, etc... A week ago, it looked like this season was over for the knicks. But now, Jeremy Lin comes out nowhere and gives the knicks life. Never mind that these are two different sports but it's just the story behind both of these athletes. Like Victor Cruz, Jeremy Lin is a feel good story. They also took advantage of their opportunities due to injuries.That's where the comparison comes from. 

Scientific Method:
Ska, we had a BULLS FAN mention him in the same sentence with Derrick Rose and Russell Westbrook.
Well hell, Lin = D.Rose/Russy, then.
laugh.gif
What up:
pr0phecy718:
Even the owner of the NY Giants said Lin is the Victor Cruz of the NBA. It was in today's NY Daily News paper.
Word, the owner of the NY Giants?

Well +%%$, then it must be true.
Exactly.

I've just always found comparisons to be silly. I know that sports comparisons aren't going anywhere anytime soon, but I just personally always found them to be silly. Like, when a guy's doing good, I would rather just talk about his greatness than complete the sentence "You know, he reminds me of...", or "This is like when..."

Like I said, I know it's just me. I mean, not JUST me, but yeah.
laugh.gif

ska, you gotta understand...The Giants were looking like they were on the verge of missing the playoffs. Tom Coughlin was on the verge of getting fired as well. Victor Cruz, an undrafted WR, came out of nowhere and gave the Giants a much needed boost to save the season.  Now, I'm not trying to the knicks will ultimately end up with the same result as the Giants this past month...But, SKA, i don't have to tell you- the knicks were crap! LOL...Fans wanted to get D'Antoni fired, trade players, looking at draft prospects, etc... A week ago, it looked like this season was over for the knicks. But now, Jeremy Lin comes out nowhere and gives the knicks life. Never mind that these are two different sports but it's just the story behind both of these athletes. Like Victor Cruz, Jeremy Lin is a feel good story. They also took advantage of their opportunities due to injuries.That's where the comparison comes from. 

I understand where it comes from completely; I'm just not the comparison type.People want to throw out names like Victor Cruz and Steve Nash and John Stockton because essentially, they want to be able to say "This guy might have the success of that guy!" But in the end, Lin has been a success for 5 games. No MVPs like Steve Nash, so I'm not going to entertain that comparison. No championship like Victor Cruz, so I'm not going to entertain that comparison. ROTY? (D.Rose). Nope. Back-to-back Finals? (Stockton). Nope.

Sure, he could be the face of the Knicks 4 years from now, right in the middle of a successful starting PG career… or he could be wherever Flip Murray is right now.

That's why for me personally, I don't say "Holy *#$%, he just dropped 38 and 7 on the Lakers like..."

I just say "Holy *#$%, he just dropped 38 and 7 on the Lakers!" I think it's ridiculous and unnecessary to pair that compliment with a comparison to someone much more accomplished.

I understand where it comes from completely; I'm just not the comparison type.People want to throw out names like Victor Cruz and Steve Nash and John Stockton because essentially, they want to be able to say "This guy might have the success of that guy!" But in the end, Lin has been a success for 5 games. No MVPs like Steve Nash, so I'm not going to entertain that comparison. No championship like Victor Cruz, so I'm not going to entertain that comparison. ROTY? (D.Rose). Nope. Back-to-back Finals? (Stockton). Nope.

Sure, he could be the face of the Knicks 4 years from now, right in the middle of a successful starting PG career… or he could be wherever Flip Murray is right now.

That's why for me personally, I don't say "Holy *#$%, he just dropped 38 and 7 on the Lakers like..."

I just say "Holy *#$%, he just dropped 38 and 7 on the Lakers!" I think it's ridiculous and unnecessary to pair that compliment with a comparison to someone much more accomplished.

DubA169:
Its human nature to compare...
Human nature? Nope. It's human nature to eat.

A trendy norm ingrained in the culture of sports discussion? Yes.

DubA169:

Saw this on FB:
423467_383214895027765_100000177721598_1724585_193176288_n.jpg

I can't read it completely but I know the headline reads something like "Jeremy Lin is an American, Taiwan what are you frontin' for"
pimp.gif

Saw this on FB:

I can't read it completely but I know the headline reads something like "Jeremy Lin is an American, Taiwan what are you frontin' for"
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by acidicality

Saw this on FB:

pimp.gif
I got Lin is an american ____ what ___you. 
4 weeks in my Mandarin class starting to pay off 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by acidicality

Saw this on FB:

pimp.gif
I got Lin is an american ____ what ___you. 
4 weeks in my Mandarin class starting to pay off 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

DubA169:

duba has it right.  sports has nothing to do with it.  it's human nature to compare, period.  apples to oranges.  beethoven to bach.  it's just what we do.  we compare notes.  we compare experiences.  we compare stories. 

so why wouldn't we do it in sports?

DubA169:

duba has it right.  sports has nothing to do with it.  it's human nature to compare, period.  apples to oranges.  beethoven to bach.  it's just what we do.  we compare notes.  we compare experiences.  we compare stories. 

so why wouldn't we do it in sports?

laugh.gif
@ Landry's tweet. Gotta love his sense of humor. That couch looks so comfortable for sure.

Jeremy Lin @JLin7
@I_Am_Iman Lol rush hour part 4...shumpalin
7:30 PM - 12 Feb 12 via Mobile Web · Details

pimp.gif

laugh.gif
@ Landry's tweet. Gotta love his sense of humor. That couch looks so comfortable for sure.

Jeremy Lin @JLin7
@I_Am_Iman Lol rush hour part 4...shumpalin
7:30 PM - 12 Feb 12 via Mobile Web · Details

pimp.gif

If someone compares him to Nash, the obviously aren't comparing accomplishments. Why can't I compare the way he plays basketball to someone like Steve Nash without having to factor in his career accomplishments.

So since Lin hasn't won a ring I can't say 'hey, he came from absolutely nowhere just like Victor Cruz'? I can only compare how Lin is always probing the defense looking for the open man to Nash's style of play when Lin wins back-to-back MVPs?

%$$$ is absurd.
laugh.gif

If someone compares him to Nash, the obviously aren't comparing accomplishments. Why can't I compare the way he plays basketball to someone like Steve Nash without having to factor in his career accomplishments.

So since Lin hasn't won a ring I can't say 'hey, he came from absolutely nowhere just like Victor Cruz'? I can only compare how Lin is always probing the defense looking for the open man to Nash's style of play when Lin wins back-to-back MVPs?

%$$$ is absurd.
laugh.gif

Because Steve Nash isn't the only person who plays like Steve Nash. But nobody wants to compare him to _______ (insert any NBA PG ever who plays like Steve Nash but doesn't have back-to-back MVPs, or any major accomplishment, other than just being an NBA PG).

When it comes to comparisons, people don't just throw out names like Michael Jordan and Steve Nash and Lebron James and Dan Marino and Jerry Rice simply because the person resembles the superstar, and that's it.

Come on, you guys know this.
laugh.gif
It's the wow factor of drawing a comparison between the style of play and as accomplished a 'model' as possible. That's exactly why no one ever compares people to Rod Strickland or Steve Smith or Jim Kelly. If there were a player that played like one of those three, that would be high praise to be compared to any 1 of those 3, but they don't have championships and records and all kinds of MVPs and everything you get when you name a John Stockton or Larry Bird or Brett Favre or something.

Because Steve Nash isn't the only person who plays like Steve Nash. But nobody wants to compare him to _______ (insert any NBA PG ever who plays like Steve Nash but doesn't have back-to-back MVPs, or any major accomplishment, other than just being an NBA PG).

When it comes to comparisons, people don't just throw out names like Michael Jordan and Steve Nash and Lebron James and Dan Marino and Jerry Rice simply because the person resembles the superstar, and that's it.

Come on, you guys know this.
laugh.gif
It's the wow factor of drawing a comparison between the style of play and as accomplished a 'model' as possible. That's exactly why no one ever compares people to Rod Strickland or Steve Smith or Jim Kelly. If there were a player that played like one of those three, that would be high praise to be compared to any 1 of those 3, but they don't have championships and records and all kinds of MVPs and everything you get when you name a John Stockton or Larry Bird or Brett Favre or something.

Jeremy Lin, Micheal Jordan, Derrick Rose, and Russell Westbrook are relatively tall individuals.

Behold, I put Jeremy Lin in the same sentence as MJ. Sacrilege, I have committed....

Back
Top Bottom