Official Jeremy Lin Thread.

I don't think anything will touch the Manny Pacquaio hype unless Lin goes on to win the Slam Dunk contest or something.

I don't think anything will touch the Manny Pacquaio hype unless Lin goes on to win the Slam Dunk contest or something.

I don't think you'll understand unless you are ASIAN-AMERICAN how important this is. We grew up much like Jeremy Lin
with all the stereotypes surrounding Asians in sports in America and this JL has already somewhat made it. We aren't rooting for him simply
because he's Asian and want him to do well, but because he has shown that it is possible for Asian-Americans to make it. He goes against
society's view of Asians as nerdy, unassuming, passive group of people. He's open the door for Asian-Americans kids and gives them someone to look up to. They can look at JL and say, "Hey, that can be me on out there too." You don't have to be a doctor, lawyer or engineer to succeed. You can follow your dreams.

I don't think you'll understand unless you are ASIAN-AMERICAN how important this is. We grew up much like Jeremy Lin
with all the stereotypes surrounding Asians in sports in America and this JL has already somewhat made it. We aren't rooting for him simply
because he's Asian and want him to do well, but because he has shown that it is possible for Asian-Americans to make it. He goes against
society's view of Asians as nerdy, unassuming, passive group of people. He's open the door for Asian-Americans kids and gives them someone to look up to. They can look at JL and say, "Hey, that can be me on out there too." You don't have to be a doctor, lawyer or engineer to succeed. You can follow your dreams.

It's kinda weird.....I usually don't feel any excitement for someones success unless they're Filipino but I'm really excited for J lizzy.

It's kinda weird.....I usually don't feel any excitement for someones success unless they're Filipino but I'm really excited for J lizzy.

Originally Posted by The Technodrome

The racism is strong in this thread, not blatant but you can feel it burning through certain people's posts

Agreed. 
No one's saying Jeremy is going to be a great or even good player in the League, but at least he has a chance to prove himself now.

My cousin went to his rival high school at Gunn, and I'm not gonna lie, I was cheerin for Jeremy whenever I made the trip up from So Cal. 

He's someone asian americans can actually relate to, and that's huge. 

Now that I go to school at Pacific, I might have to make a couple Warriors games just to see him play again.

pimp.gif
 congrats to the kid.

Originally Posted by The Technodrome

The racism is strong in this thread, not blatant but you can feel it burning through certain people's posts

Agreed. 
No one's saying Jeremy is going to be a great or even good player in the League, but at least he has a chance to prove himself now.

My cousin went to his rival high school at Gunn, and I'm not gonna lie, I was cheerin for Jeremy whenever I made the trip up from So Cal. 

He's someone asian americans can actually relate to, and that's huge. 

Now that I go to school at Pacific, I might have to make a couple Warriors games just to see him play again.

pimp.gif
 congrats to the kid.

great quote by Darrell Armstrong...

One Dallas coach who may share the most in common with Lin is former NBA Most Improved Player Darrell Armstrong, who went undrafted out of Fayetteville State in 1991 and didn’t crack an NBA roster until he was 26. His perseverance paid off in a 13-year career.
“The fans started choosing him over John Wall,’’ Armstrong said of Lin. “That’s a tribute to him playing hard and making a name for himself. He’s going to be a good one. I told him I really think he can play in this league. I told him that before we even came down to Vegas. He has a chance. It looks and feels like he belongs in the NBA, even though he hasn’t been drafted.

“He has heart. He has no fear with himself. He sees opportunity and you can see that and that’s how he’s been playing. People are starting to believe this Harvard guy . . . this Ivy League guy is starting to make something happen.’’

great quote by Darrell Armstrong...

One Dallas coach who may share the most in common with Lin is former NBA Most Improved Player Darrell Armstrong, who went undrafted out of Fayetteville State in 1991 and didn’t crack an NBA roster until he was 26. His perseverance paid off in a 13-year career.
“The fans started choosing him over John Wall,’’ Armstrong said of Lin. “That’s a tribute to him playing hard and making a name for himself. He’s going to be a good one. I told him I really think he can play in this league. I told him that before we even came down to Vegas. He has a chance. It looks and feels like he belongs in the NBA, even though he hasn’t been drafted.

“He has heart. He has no fear with himself. He sees opportunity and you can see that and that’s how he’s been playing. People are starting to believe this Harvard guy . . . this Ivy League guy is starting to make something happen.’’

Originally Posted by goukiteg

x2.

x2.

Originally Posted by amel223

I don't think it's possible to understand why we're excited unless you're Asian American. 

Even Asians from overseas wouldn't understand. 
THIS

ignore the haters, I'm stoked
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by amel223

I don't think it's possible to understand why we're excited unless you're Asian American. 

Even Asians from overseas wouldn't understand. 
THIS

ignore the haters, I'm stoked
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by dyyhard

look Jeremy Lin was born in a us hospital, went to elementary, went trick-or-treating, jr high, high school. played aau, went to div 1 college, speaks English as the first language, went to Warrior games growing up....he's American, he can vote, run for President if he aspired to. You can say most of the same with John Wall, Shaq, Kobe, Gary Payton, etc..... This doesn't apply to Yao Ming, Yi Jianlian, Sun Yue, Yuta Tabuse - yeah they're Asian but most people here can't relate to them on a personal level. 

Even on a basketball level, he has more flair and skill set(minus Yao) than those guys just mentioned. It's a big deal to the Asian American community. Imagine having to root for and have Dikembe Mutombo or DJ Mbenga (no offense) represent your race, then comes along Avery Johnson or John Starks (not comparing them as players to JL, just using them as an example of US born, undrafted players).
I understand the personal level that most Asian Americans have with JLin. That is great. But come on brah, when you give props to someone, you do not need to clown someone else in the process. Yao Ming has done a lot for Asians in general, in the US and throughout the world. Do you even know if JLin spoke English as his first language? Speaking fluent English is awesome, but not like you need one language to play basketball or sports. You even mention someone like Mt. Mutumbo and dare say people should be embarrassed that he represented Congo. Mt. Mutumbo, who's English is affected by a deep accent as well, has done more off the court than JLin will prob do on the court. I would not be mad at all if I was Congolese and had to root for him.

End of the day, I get what you mean.

But it is funny to me that while African American leaders (shout out to Obama) are telling young children that you don't have to be an athlete to make it in this world, some Asian Americans are using JLin as the catalyst for Asian American children to really follow their dreams. Last time I checked, I idolized basketball players growing up, but in no way did I ignore my parents as people to really look up to in life. They weren't playing professional bball, but they did what they had to give me the best life I could have. That is success to me as well.

What maybe I am trying to get at is that I am afraid there might be too much pressure on JLin to succeed in the NBA level now. If JLin doesn't "make it" in the league, he will be clowned and Asian Americans will be laughed at some more. Especially on NT and this very thread!

And stop hating on the Yao Mings already. If you are Asian American, at one point  in history, one of your ancestors here was a Yao Ming that sucked in English and struggled in the US at first to fit in. Appreciate them, don't clown them.   

look Jeremy Lin was born in a us hospital, went to elementary, went trick-or-treating, jr high, high school. played aau, went to div 1 college, speaks English as the first language, went to Warrior games growing up....he's American, he can vote, run for President if he aspired to. You can say most of the same with John Wall, Shaq, Kobe, Gary Payton, etc..... This doesn't apply to Yao Ming, Yi Jianlian, Sun Yue, Yuta Tabuse - yeah they're Asian but most people here can't relate to them on a personal level. 

Even on a basketball level, he has more flair and skill set(minus Yao) than those guys just mentioned. It's a big deal to the Asian American community. Imagine having to root for and have Dikembe Mutombo or DJ Mbenga (no offense) represent your race, then comes along Avery Johnson or John Starks (not comparing them as players to JL, just using them as an example of US born, undrafted players).
I understand the personal level that most Asian Americans have with JLin. That is great. But come on brah, when you give props to someone, you do not need to clown someone else in the process. Yao Ming has done a lot for Asians in general, in the US and throughout the world. Do you even know if JLin spoke English as his first language? Speaking fluent English is awesome, but not like you need one language to play basketball or sports. You even mention someone like Mt. Mutumbo and dare say people should be embarrassed that he represented Congo. Mt. Mutumbo, who's English is affected by a deep accent as well, has done more off the court than JLin will prob do on the court. I would not be mad at all if I was Congolese and had to root for him.

End of the day, I get what you mean.

But it is funny to me that while African American leaders (shout out to Obama) are telling young children that you don't have to be an athlete to make it in this world, some Asian Americans are using JLin as the catalyst for Asian American children to really follow their dreams. Last time I checked, I idolized basketball players growing up, but in no way did I ignore my parents as people to really look up to in life. They weren't playing professional bball, but they did what they had to give me the best life I could have. That is success to me as well.

What maybe I am trying to get at is that I am afraid there might be too much pressure on JLin to succeed in the NBA level now. If JLin doesn't "make it" in the league, he will be clowned and Asian Americans will be laughed at some more. Especially on NT and this very thread!

And stop hating on the Yao Mings already. If you are Asian American, at one point  in history, one of your ancestors here was a Yao Ming that sucked in English and struggled in the US at first to fit in. Appreciate them, don't clown them.   

dude sit yourself down, nobody was clowning on anyone. saying that those guys don't represent asian americans is NOT clowning on them.

dude sit yourself down, nobody was clowning on anyone. saying that those guys don't represent asian americans is NOT clowning on them.

Originally Posted by nicedudewithnicedreams

stop putting words into peoples mouths, he did not "dare say people should be embarrassed by mutombo."

Originally Posted by nicedudewithnicedreams

stop putting words into peoples mouths, he did not "dare say people should be embarrassed by mutombo."

Back
Top Bottom