Official Jeremy Lin Thread.

Originally Posted by itz rOLLi

dude sit yourself down, nobody was clowning on anyone. saying that those guys don't represent asian americans is NOT clowning on them.
Why are you even posting? You only care about your post count anyways.
laugh.gif

also, i really dont care too much about the subject as my posts would suggest. im just tryin to reach 10k posts, it's really taking me forever.
laugh.gif

dude sit yourself down, nobody was clowning on anyone. saying that those guys don't represent asian americans is NOT clowning on them.
Why are you even posting? You only care about your post count anyways.
laugh.gif

also, i really dont care too much about the subject as my posts would suggest. im just tryin to reach 10k posts, it's really taking me forever.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by nicedudewithnicedreams

Originally Posted by dyyhard

look Jeremy Lin was born in a us hospital, went to elementary, went trick-or-treating, jr high, high school. played aau, went to div 1 college, speaks English as the first language, went to Warrior games growing up....he's American, he can vote, run for President if he aspired to. You can say most of the same with John Wall, Shaq, Kobe, Gary Payton, etc..... This doesn't apply to Yao Ming, Yi Jianlian, Sun Yue, Yuta Tabuse - yeah they're Asian but most people here can't relate to them on a personal level. 

Even on a basketball level, he has more flair and skill set(minus Yao) than those guys just mentioned. It's a big deal to the Asian American community. Imagine having to root for and have Dikembe Mutombo or DJ Mbenga (no offense) represent your race, then comes along Avery Johnson or John Starks (not comparing them as players to JL, just using them as an example of US born, undrafted players).
I understand the personal level that most Asian Americans have with JLin. That is great. But come on brah, when you give props to someone, you do not need to clown someone else in the process. Yao Ming has done a lot for Asians in general, in the US and throughout the world. Do you even know if JLin spoke English as his first language? Speaking fluent English is awesome, but not like you need one language to play basketball or sports. You even mention someone like Mt. Mutumbo and dare say people should be embarrassed that he represented Congo. Mt. Mutumbo, who's English is affected by a deep accent as well, has done more off the court than JLin will prob do on the court. I would not be mad at all if I was Congolese and had to root for him.
stop putting words into peoples mouths, he did not "dare say people should be embarrassed by mutombo."
Why you posting tho?
laugh.gif

Obviously, even in his horrible comparison, he was trying to say it is better to root for Avery Johnson than Mt. Mutumbo.

Originally Posted by marath0n

KLJ, you gotta understand that this dude is like our jackie robinson.

Ignorance.
"how is that so hard to understand? im not saying he is going to be a legendary ballplayer, or that he is doing anything for civil rights. Im JUST sayin that he is essentially our first person to make it to the big stage. That is the ONLY reason anyone is making a big deal about him."

and as far as this nicedude person, im posting because you seem to think people are clowning on immigrants. NO ONE has said anything wrong about the immigrant players, and youre going off on rants about why they shouldn't be disrepected.

And no he's not saying its better to root for avery johnson, he's sayin that avery johnson is an american born player who american born nba fans can more relate to.

Originally Posted by nicedudewithnicedreams

look Jeremy Lin was born in a us hospital, went to elementary, went trick-or-treating, jr high, high school. played aau, went to div 1 college, speaks English as the first language, went to Warrior games growing up....he's American, he can vote, run for President if he aspired to. You can say most of the same with John Wall, Shaq, Kobe, Gary Payton, etc..... This doesn't apply to Yao Ming, Yi Jianlian, Sun Yue, Yuta Tabuse - yeah they're Asian but most people here can't relate to them on a personal level. 

Even on a basketball level, he has more flair and skill set(minus Yao) than those guys just mentioned. It's a big deal to the Asian American community. Imagine having to root for and have Dikembe Mutombo or DJ Mbenga (no offense) represent your race, then comes along Avery Johnson or John Starks (not comparing them as players to JL, just using them as an example of US born, undrafted players).
I understand the personal level that most Asian Americans have with JLin. That is great. But come on brah, when you give props to someone, you do not need to clown someone else in the process. Yao Ming has done a lot for Asians in general, in the US and throughout the world. Do you even know if JLin spoke English as his first language? Speaking fluent English is awesome, but not like you need one language to play basketball or sports. You even mention someone like Mt. Mutumbo and dare say people should be embarrassed that he represented Congo. Mt. Mutumbo, who's English is affected by a deep accent as well, has done more off the court than JLin will prob do on the court. I would not be mad at all if I was Congolese and had to root for him.
stop putting words into peoples mouths, he did not "dare say people should be embarrassed by mutombo."
Why you posting tho?
laugh.gif

Obviously, even in his horrible comparison, he was trying to say it is better to root for Avery Johnson than Mt. Mutumbo.

Ignorance.
"how is that so hard to understand? im not saying he is going to be a legendary ballplayer, or that he is doing anything for civil rights. Im JUST sayin that he is essentially our first person to make it to the big stage. That is the ONLY reason anyone is making a big deal about him."

and as far as this nicedude person, im posting because you seem to think people are clowning on immigrants. NO ONE has said anything wrong about the immigrant players, and youre going off on rants about why they shouldn't be disrepected.

And no he's not saying its better to root for avery johnson, he's sayin that avery johnson is an american born player who american born nba fans can more relate to.

itz rOLLi wrote:

Jackie Robinson tho? Bad example. No love for Wat Misaka? Disrespecting.

Check below.

finally, someone that can actually speak English.
I hope it was a joke, but I doubt it.

Are you F'n serious?  Really? 

So he's the first one to do it?  Asian-Americans are banned from playing in the NBA?

Wataru Misaka?   Raymond Townsend?  Erik Spoelstra?   Do they ring a bell to you?

Wow. 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

itz rOLLi wrote:

Jackie Robinson tho? Bad example. No love for Wat Misaka? Disrespecting.

Check below.

finally, someone that can actually speak English.
I hope it was a joke, but I doubt it.

Are you F'n serious?  Really? 

So he's the first one to do it?  Asian-Americans are banned from playing in the NBA?

Wataru Misaka?   Raymond Townsend?  Erik Spoelstra?   Do they ring a bell to you?

Wow. 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

You really don't understand it. Even if he sucks and fades into obscrurity in the pros, people might clown on him, but to the Asian-American community people will still appreciate him for being one of the first in our generation to publicly show that we don't have to be doctors, lawyers, engineers to make our mark in society. He's validation that if you work hard, you can make it to the pros. Just look how the Asian-American dude is portrayed in mainstream media, we're supposed to be weak and nerdy, we can't be the "cool" guys, the actors, the athletes, the musicians, the people in popular culture. He is a pioneer. Yes, he's not the first actual Asian-American in the league, but he's definitely the first of our generation and someone that really represents us.

Honestly though, if you aren't Asian-American you really don't understand. He's an AMERICAN, of course his first language is English
laugh.gif
. We do respect Yao/Yi, but we can't relate to them as well because we can't see ourselves in them. Jeremy is completely different because he's one of us, and he gives us a voice and a figure in the mainstream world.

And for the record, no he's not Jackie Robinson
laugh.gif

You really don't understand it. Even if he sucks and fades into obscrurity in the pros, people might clown on him, but to the Asian-American community people will still appreciate him for being one of the first in our generation to publicly show that we don't have to be doctors, lawyers, engineers to make our mark in society. He's validation that if you work hard, you can make it to the pros. Just look how the Asian-American dude is portrayed in mainstream media, we're supposed to be weak and nerdy, we can't be the "cool" guys, the actors, the athletes, the musicians, the people in popular culture. He is a pioneer. Yes, he's not the first actual Asian-American in the league, but he's definitely the first of our generation and someone that really represents us.

Honestly though, if you aren't Asian-American you really don't understand. He's an AMERICAN, of course his first language is English
laugh.gif
. We do respect Yao/Yi, but we can't relate to them as well because we can't see ourselves in them. Jeremy is completely different because he's one of us, and he gives us a voice and a figure in the mainstream world.

And for the record, no he's not Jackie Robinson
laugh.gif

Ignorance.

More ignorance.  C'mon man that isn't what Jackie Robinson did.  An insult to the legacy of JR.

Ignorance.

More ignorance.  C'mon man that isn't what Jackie Robinson did.  An insult to the legacy of JR.

eek.gif
dude compared Jeremy Lin to Jackie Robinson....I'm done.

KLJ, you created a masterpiece my friend
laugh.gif

eek.gif
dude compared Jeremy Lin to Jackie Robinson....I'm done.

KLJ, you created a masterpiece my friend
laugh.gif

""Jackie" Robinson (January 31, 1919 – October 24, 1972) was the first black Major League Baseball (MLB) player of the modern era."

that is the ONLY thing i am using JR as an example for, i admit it's not the best example. But only that Jlin is the first of our generations asian american nba player. I am not drawing any other comparisons to the guy except that. if you can't get past that, then i dont know what to tell you.

""Jackie" Robinson (January 31, 1919 – October 24, 1972) was the first black Major League Baseball (MLB) player of the modern era."

that is the ONLY thing i am using JR as an example for, i admit it's not the best example. But only that Jlin is the first of our generations asian american nba player. I am not drawing any other comparisons to the guy except that. if you can't get past that, then i dont know what to tell you.

Ignorance.
You're reading way way too much into his words.  Obviously, he didn't do exactly what jackie robinson did, or go through the kind of racism that jackie had to face.  Just take it for what he meant to say.

Ignorance.
You're reading way way too much into his words.  Obviously, he didn't do exactly what jackie robinson did, or go through the kind of racism that jackie had to face.  Just take it for what he meant to say.

Hell, I'd love for other races to be stereotyped as doctors or engineers. I think that would be cool.

I'm just sayin. That's just me. Carry on folks.

Hell, I'd love for other races to be stereotyped as doctors or engineers. I think that would be cool.

I'm just sayin. That's just me. Carry on folks.

why dont you find the first black dude to bowl on the PBA or something. that would be a more fitting comparison

why dont you find the first black dude to bowl on the PBA or something. that would be a more fitting comparison

Back
Top Bottom