Official Jeremy Lin Thread.

Originally Posted by itz rOLLi

""Jackie" Robinson (January 31, 1919 – October 24, 1972) was the first black Major League Baseball (MLB) player of the modern era."

that is the ONLY thing i am using JR as an example for, i admit it's not the best example. But only that Jlin is the first of our generations asian american nba player. I am not drawing any other comparisons to the guy except that. if you can't get past that, then i dont know what to tell you.

Wow. 
And yet, you continue to do this...

foot+in+mouth.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

""Jackie" Robinson (January 31, 1919 – October 24, 1972) was the first black Major League Baseball (MLB) player of the modern era."

that is the ONLY thing i am using JR as an example for, i admit it's not the best example. But only that Jlin is the first of our generations asian american nba player. I am not drawing any other comparisons to the guy except that. if you can't get past that, then i dont know what to tell you.

Wow. 
And yet, you continue to do this...

foot+in+mouth.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by acidicality

You really don't understand it. Even if he sucks and fades into obscrurity in the pros, people might clown on him, but to the Asian-American community people will still appreciate him for being one of the first in our generation to publicly show that we don't have to be doctors, lawyers, engineers to make our mark in society. He's validation that if you work hard, you can make it to the pros. Just look how the Asian-American dude is portrayed in mainstream media, we're supposed to be weak and nerdy, we can't be the "cool" guys, the actors, the athletes, the musicians, the people in popular culture. He is a pioneer. Yes, he's not the first actual Asian-American in the league, but he's definitely the first of our generation and someone that really represents us.

Honestly though, if you aren't Asian-American you really don't understand. He's an AMERICAN, of course his first language is English
laugh.gif
. We do respect Yao/Yi, but we can't relate to them as well because we can't see ourselves in them. Jeremy is completely different because he's one of us, and he gives us a voice and a figure in the mainstream world.
You have a personal connection with dude so you are a little bias. And you don't really speak for all Asian Americans. You speak for yourself at the end of the day. While you thinking JLin failing in the NBA is good enough for the Asian American community, I doubt every one agrees with you. However, what he has done before (playing HS ball and in Harvard) deserves recognition and props.

And I know plenty of Asian Americans that learned Chinese before they learned English. I wasn't sure on JLin, but since you know dude so well, I guess I gotta agree with you there.

Where is the love for Rich Cho tho? First Asian American GM. Went the corporate way and got on top of the ladder without much of a basketball background. A path that most of us NTers can actually achieve.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by In Yo Nostril

why dont you find the first black dude to bowl on the PBA or something. that would be a more fitting comparison
because bowling is something a black guy shouldn't be doing, like how basketball is what an asian shouldn't be doing?

how about the first black dude to play ping pong? that would probably be a good one.

why dont you find the first black dude to bowl on the PBA or something. that would be a more fitting comparison
because bowling is something a black guy shouldn't be doing, like how basketball is what an asian shouldn't be doing?

how about the first black dude to play ping pong? that would probably be a good one.

Originally Posted by acidicality

You really don't understand it. Even if he sucks and fades into obscrurity in the pros, people might clown on him, but to the Asian-American community people will still appreciate him for being one of the first in our generation to publicly show that we don't have to be doctors, lawyers, engineers to make our mark in society. He's validation that if you work hard, you can make it to the pros. Just look how the Asian-American dude is portrayed in mainstream media, we're supposed to be weak and nerdy, we can't be the "cool" guys, the actors, the athletes, the musicians, the people in popular culture. He is a pioneer. Yes, he's not the first actual Asian-American in the league, but he's definitely the first of our generation and someone that really represents us.

Honestly though, if you aren't Asian-American you really don't understand. He's an AMERICAN, of course his first language is English
laugh.gif
. We do respect Yao/Yi, but we can't relate to them as well because we can't see ourselves in them. Jeremy is completely different because he's one of us, and he gives us a voice and a figure in the mainstream world.
You have a personal connection with dude so you are a little bias. And you don't really speak for all Asian Americans. You speak for yourself at the end of the day. While you thinking JLin failing in the NBA is good enough for the Asian American community, I doubt every one agrees with you. However, what he has done before (playing HS ball and in Harvard) deserves recognition and props.

And I know plenty of Asian Americans that learned Chinese before they learned English. I wasn't sure on JLin, but since you know dude so well, I guess I gotta agree with you there.

Where is the love for Rich Cho tho? First Asian American GM. Went the corporate way and got on top of the ladder without much of a basketball background. A path that most of us NTers can actually achieve.
laugh.gif

Does no one understand analogies. 

A bird is like a plane.

A house is like a building. 

A sidestreet is like an interstate. 

You get what I'm saying here?  Just take his statement for what it was.  An analogy.  He's just pointing out one similarity between two guys.  He's not saying that they're on the same level. 

A bird is like a plane.

You get what I'm saying here?  Just take his statement for what it was.  An analogy.  He's just pointing out one similarity between two guys.  He's not saying that they're on the same level. 

because the PBA is something a black guy shouldn't be doing, like how the basketball is what an asian shouldn't be doing?

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

This is getting hilarious now. 

because the PBA is something a black guy shouldn't be doing, like how the basketball is what an asian shouldn't be doing?

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

This is getting hilarious now. 

Originally Posted by amel223

A bird is like a plane.

He can easily just take the L and admit it was a bad comparison. Just like the other crap comparisons being used lately.

Originally Posted by amel223

A bird is like a plane.

He can easily just take the L and admit it was a bad comparison. Just like the other crap comparisons being used lately.

because jackie robinson wasnt the first black dude competent enough to play professional baseball.

because jackie robinson wasnt the first black dude competent enough to play professional baseball.

This thread is hilarious. Thread should have been 2 pages but people keep using ONE wrong word or phrase and ++!% hits the fan over and over again...
laugh.gif

Yao? HEY!
Mutombu? HEY!
Jackie? HEY!

It is simple as if there was a Indian-American basketball player that made the L best believe I'm following his career more closely than anybody else not on the Bulls. Why? Same reason people gravitated toward Allen Iverson: he seems to be one of "us". I am definitely rooting for this guy just because of his top-tier, non-traditional school pedigree. The Asian thing is another point of interest. I wish someone from Northwestern's basketball squad made the NBA. That would be sick.

Iverson? HEY!

This thread is hilarious. Thread should have been 2 pages but people keep using ONE wrong word or phrase and ++!% hits the fan over and over again...
laugh.gif

Yao? HEY!
Mutombu? HEY!
Jackie? HEY!

It is simple as if there was a Indian-American basketball player that made the L best believe I'm following his career more closely than anybody else not on the Bulls. Why? Same reason people gravitated toward Allen Iverson: he seems to be one of "us". I am definitely rooting for this guy just because of his top-tier, non-traditional school pedigree. The Asian thing is another point of interest. I wish someone from Northwestern's basketball squad made the NBA. That would be sick.

Iverson? HEY!

A lot of you guys seem upset that Asian Americans have something to be proud about in mainstream sports. similar to that of manny and Filipinos.

A lot of you guys seem upset that Asian Americans have something to be proud about in mainstream sports. similar to that of manny and Filipinos.

Originally Posted by bijald0331

laugh.gif

Yao? HEY!
Mutombu? HEY!
Jackie? HEY!

Iverson? HEY!
HEY! 
laugh.gif

Nah, I agreee tho. I mos def went over board over nothing biggie. Bunch of young kids needing an idol. I can't hate on that. 

laugh.gif

Yao? HEY!
Mutombu? HEY!
Jackie? HEY!

Iverson? HEY!
HEY! 
laugh.gif

Nah, I agreee tho. I mos def went over board over nothing biggie. Bunch of young kids needing an idol. I can't hate on that. 

laugh.gif

Yao? HEY!
Mutombu? HEY!
Jackie? HEY!

Iverson? HEY!
I dunno how there's not an Indian American in the nba already.  I've seen TONS of tall athletic Indian Americans, no lie.  Like they be catching oops and windmilling like black players lol.

Back
Top Bottom