Official Jeremy Lin Thread.

Originally Posted by Luong1209

Stephen A. Smith is just extremely annoying.

Agreed with the mis-usage of "exposed". One game discrediting his other 7 or 8 games?
laugh.gif
Ok.

sorta its like if you played ball around the neighborhood and you was ballin all on them and they was hyping you up saying you all great good etc.. then you went to tryout on your h.s. varsity team and then you just look horrible... i dont/wouldnt use exposed really i dont know what word id use.

Originally Posted by Luong1209

Stephen A. Smith is just extremely annoying.

Agreed with the mis-usage of "exposed". One game discrediting his other 7 or 8 games?
laugh.gif
Ok.

sorta its like if you played ball around the neighborhood and you was ballin all on them and they was hyping you up saying you all great good etc.. then you went to tryout on your h.s. varsity team and then you just look horrible... i dont/wouldnt use exposed really i dont know what word id use.

This is funny. The same people complaining of the hysterical bolstering of Lin after the first 11 games are the same that are hysterically trashing Lin after 1 game.
laugh.gif

People act like the Heat played that well last night. With 15 turnovers in the first half, the Knicks still were only down by 4, and came out flat in the 2nd half.

I swear, man. Sports is worse than politics. Peoples unfettered bias distorts rational thinking.

This is funny. The same people complaining of the hysterical bolstering of Lin after the first 11 games are the same that are hysterically trashing Lin after 1 game.
laugh.gif

People act like the Heat played that well last night. With 15 turnovers in the first half, the Knicks still were only down by 4, and came out flat in the 2nd half.

I swear, man. Sports is worse than politics. Peoples unfettered bias distorts rational thinking.

Originally Posted by KayCurrency

When do the Bulls play the Knicks again?....Rose is going to Kill this Kid.... On both ends
laugh.gif

lin will not be guarding rose. dantoni isnt that dumb, is he? shump or jr will get the assignment. lin can have a great game, but dudes will refer back to the heat game. they meet again this year? he got a good test with the upcoming schedule -cle, bos, dal, sas, mil, phil, chi, por

When do the Bulls play the Knicks again?....Rose is going to Kill this Kid.... On both ends
laugh.gif

lin will not be guarding rose. dantoni isnt that dumb, is he? shump or jr will get the assignment. lin can have a great game, but dudes will refer back to the heat game. they meet again this year? he got a good test with the upcoming schedule -cle, bos, dal, sas, mil, phil, chi, por

Originally Posted by DMan14

laugh.gif

he will have his chance again esp in the sas game if parker plays and really if rose is playing.... i think if he stinks it up in these folks gonna be saying lin is on some harold miner status... and i hope he does check rose... your not gonna get better by playing players on your level. to be good/great you gotta compete and perform against good/great...

laugh.gif

he will have his chance again esp in the sas game if parker plays and really if rose is playing.... i think if he stinks it up in these folks gonna be saying lin is on some harold miner status... and i hope he does check rose... your not gonna get better by playing players on your level. to be good/great you gotta compete and perform against good/great...

Originally Posted by LDJ

laugh.gif

You can't learn speed and strength... Only thing he's gonna get better at by guarding Rose is yelling out "Help!"
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by rashi

laugh.gif

ppl did the same thing to lebron he lead and actually proved he can be a leader and clutch against great players for 8 str8 years with the cavs and the entire season/playoffs last year and dismissed his entire 8 and a half years for 4 games in the finals... yet a player who played good 10 games against ok teams and plays bad 1 game against a good team and its ah no biggie its just 1 game kinda hypocritical...

Originally Posted by LDJ

laugh.gif

You can't learn speed and strength... Only thing he's gonna get better at by guarding Rose is yelling out "Help!"
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by rashi

laugh.gif

ppl did the same thing to lebron he lead and actually proved he can be a leader and clutch against great players for 8 str8 years with the cavs and the entire season/playoffs last year and dismissed his entire 8 and a half years for 4 games in the finals... yet a player who played good 10 games against ok teams and plays bad 1 game against a good team and its ah no biggie its just 1 game kinda hypocritical...

Originally Posted by LDJ

laugh.gif

lol but he has to learn to use his other attributes like his bball iq and his wit... kidd isnt really fast nor strong anymore yet he does well against the quicker guards.... look at andre miller he has never been quick,fast nor strong and he one of the most solid pgs we have in the game...

Originally Posted by LDJ

laugh.gif

lol but he has to learn to use his other attributes like his bball iq and his wit... kidd isnt really fast nor strong anymore yet he does well against the quicker guards.... look at andre miller he has never been quick,fast nor strong and he one of the most solid pgs we have in the game...

Originally Posted by LDJ

Originally Posted by LDJ

he will have his chance again esp in the sasgame if parker plays and really if rose is playing.... i think if he stinks it up in these folks gonna besaying lin is on some harold miner status... and i hope he does check rose... your not gonna get better by playing players on your level. to be good/great you gotta compete and perform against good/great...
laugh.gif

....But then we add Derrick Rose into the equation.... and..well....

Originally Posted by LDJ

Originally Posted by LDJ

he will have his chance again esp in the sasgame if parker plays and really if rose is playing.... i think if he stinks it up in these folks gonna besaying lin is on some harold miner status... and i hope he does check rose... your not gonna get better by playing players on your level. to be good/great you gotta compete and perform against good/great...
laugh.gif

....But then we add Derrick Rose into the equation.... and..well....

http://online.wsj.com/art...4577241710317187398.html

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Jeremy Lin's Summer of Glove[/h1]
  • [h3]By JASON GAY[/h3]
renocol_Jason_Gay.gif

more in New York| Find New $LINKTEXTFIND$ »

He sees the jumper and remembers that jumper. Saw it in his own backyard. Same with the pretty spin move. Worked on that one, too. "That's what I did," he recalled. Push your body right up against the defender, and when you feel him leaning forward…whoosh, spin, gone, goodbye.
http://
But he sees something else, too—a detail that's gotten lost in the global "Linsanity" over Jeremy Lin. Something that doesn't agree with the modest narrative of the overlooked point guard sleeping on couches and beguiling New York.

NY-BM524_SPRTS__DV_20120223175308.jpg
Getty Images
Gary Payton

"He's cocky," Gary Payton said. "The cockiness in him, it reminds me of myself. The way he puts his tongue out and laughs and smiles? That's a cocky arrogance, and that's the way he has to play—and the way he should play."

It's been almost two years since Lin showed up at Payton's house in Las Vegas, an awestruck unknown from the Ivy League. Payton, of course, was the Bay Area legend, should-be-a-cinch Hall-of Famer who brought a defensive ferocity to the point guard position, and raised on-court chatter to performance art.

Payton got a call from Lin's agent, Roger Montgomery, asking if he'd work out with Lin before the 2010 NBA Summer League. As the world now knows, Lin had completed his Harvard career with impressive statistics, but had been overlooked by pro clubs, and not selected in the draft.

Not long after, the former Palo Alto High School star was behind the Seattle SuperSonics icon's home, running on his outdoor court.
"I don't work out with a lot of guys," Payton said. "It was just me, Jeremy, and my trainer."

[h3]More[/h3] http://
Payton, now 43, put Lin through a string of intense drills that tested his ball-handling, his shooting and ability to roll off screens. Lin did a fast-break drill in which he ran back and forth between the baskets.

"He could handle the ball very well," Payton said. "He had size and jumping ability. I said, 'This kid could be good.'"

Payton said he tutored Lin on the spin technique he mastered over 17 seasons en route to 21,813 career points. He also encouraged Lin—already known for his attacking style—to develop a long-range jumper. "When people back up off you, you pull up and make them pay," Payton said. He'd seen Lin take this shot in recent Knicks games. "He's pulling up with confidence and hitting that three."

NY-BM525_SPRTS__DV_20120223175425.jpg
Getty Images
Jeremy Lin

When their first training session was over, Payton and Lin sat in Payton's living room and watched tape from Harvard games. Payton said Lin was frustrated by the poor decisions he sometimes made under pressure. "He always said, 'I get into trouble when I get into the air,'" Payton recalled. He noted that Lin was getting into similar trouble for New York, one reason he'd accrued so many turnovers.

"He gets in the air and gets stuck," Payton said. "He's not learned to control his game yet. Control means when you get to the bucket at 100 mph—you can slow it down, read the defense and expose it with a hesitation. He doesn't have that in his game yet."
Payton and Lin worked together two more times, at a Las Vegas gym. Lin went on to be a surprise breakout in the Summer League, playing well against competition like No. 1 pick John Wall, and eventually landing a contract with Golden State. But Lin wound up getting dumped by the Warriors, then the Houston Rockets, before opportunity struck in New York.

Amid the mania, Payton is measured in assessing Lin's long-term potential. "He can be a good point guard," he said. "He's not going to be a Chris Paul. He's not going to be a Deron Williams. I think he can be like a John Stockton where he can facilitate a lot of things—make a lot of passes, hit the open shot when he has to, and make people around him better." Payton was quick to add that he meant that Lin's playing style resembled Stockton's—not that Lin was destined to have a career like the Jazz Hall of Famer's.
And Lin's defense? "Lot to learn," said the man who was so tenacious on defense they nicknamed him The Glove. "He doesn't play defense. That's straight, period. But nobody plays defense anyway. That's not the NBA, it's not in defensive mode. The only teams that play defense are Chicago and Miami."

Jeremy Lin recalled his sessions with Payton after Wednesday night's Knicks rout over Atlanta, in which he scored 17 points as the team moved to 8-2 in games he has started. "It was good, it was interesting," he told the Journal's Kevin Clark. Of Payton, Lin said: "He's a character."

This weekend, Payton is in Orlando for the NBA All-Star Game. Lately he has been active in Seattle's effort to return NBA basketball to that city. The Oregonian newspaper reported that Payton will follow his teaching of Lin by working with Jared Cunningham, currently at Oregon State University, where Payton starred in the late '80s.

Payton said he and Lin still exchange text messages, but never truly went head-to-head on the court in their training sessions. "He basically just wanted to play me all the time," Payton said. "That was his dream. I told him: You're not ready to do that. I'm not going to give you the opportunity until you prove it."

Jeremy Lin has proven a lot over the past few weeks. The mentor has noticed.

"This is how fate goes," Gary Payton said. "Everybody gets hurt, he gets off the bench, and he does what he does.…He's showing he can play basketball. They just didn't know it."

GP helping out the kid
pimp.gif

http://online.wsj.com/art...4577241710317187398.html

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Jeremy Lin's Summer of Glove[/h1]
  • [h3]By JASON GAY[/h3]
renocol_Jason_Gay.gif

more in New York| Find New $LINKTEXTFIND$ »

He sees the jumper and remembers that jumper. Saw it in his own backyard. Same with the pretty spin move. Worked on that one, too. "That's what I did," he recalled. Push your body right up against the defender, and when you feel him leaning forward…whoosh, spin, gone, goodbye.
But he sees something else, too—a detail that's gotten lost in the global "Linsanity" over Jeremy Lin. Something that doesn't agree with the modest narrative of the overlooked point guard sleeping on couches and beguiling New York.

NY-BM524_SPRTS__DV_20120223175308.jpg
Getty Images
Gary Payton

"He's cocky," Gary Payton said. "The cockiness in him, it reminds me of myself. The way he puts his tongue out and laughs and smiles? That's a cocky arrogance, and that's the way he has to play—and the way he should play."

It's been almost two years since Lin showed up at Payton's house in Las Vegas, an awestruck unknown from the Ivy League. Payton, of course, was the Bay Area legend, should-be-a-cinch Hall-of Famer who brought a defensive ferocity to the point guard position, and raised on-court chatter to performance art.

Payton got a call from Lin's agent, Roger Montgomery, asking if he'd work out with Lin before the 2010 NBA Summer League. As the world now knows, Lin had completed his Harvard career with impressive statistics, but had been overlooked by pro clubs, and not selected in the draft.

Not long after, the former Palo Alto High School star was behind the Seattle SuperSonics icon's home, running on his outdoor court.
"I don't work out with a lot of guys," Payton said. "It was just me, Jeremy, and my trainer."

[h3]More[/h3] http://
Payton, now 43, put Lin through a string of intense drills that tested his ball-handling, his shooting and ability to roll off screens. Lin did a fast-break drill in which he ran back and forth between the baskets.

"He could handle the ball very well," Payton said. "He had size and jumping ability. I said, 'This kid could be good.'"

Payton said he tutored Lin on the spin technique he mastered over 17 seasons en route to 21,813 career points. He also encouraged Lin—already known for his attacking style—to develop a long-range jumper. "When people back up off you, you pull up and make them pay," Payton said. He'd seen Lin take this shot in recent Knicks games. "He's pulling up with confidence and hitting that three."

NY-BM525_SPRTS__DV_20120223175425.jpg
Getty Images
Jeremy Lin

When their first training session was over, Payton and Lin sat in Payton's living room and watched tape from Harvard games. Payton said Lin was frustrated by the poor decisions he sometimes made under pressure. "He always said, 'I get into trouble when I get into the air,'" Payton recalled. He noted that Lin was getting into similar trouble for New York, one reason he'd accrued so many turnovers.

"He gets in the air and gets stuck," Payton said. "He's not learned to control his game yet. Control means when you get to the bucket at 100 mph—you can slow it down, read the defense and expose it with a hesitation. He doesn't have that in his game yet."
Payton and Lin worked together two more times, at a Las Vegas gym. Lin went on to be a surprise breakout in the Summer League, playing well against competition like No. 1 pick John Wall, and eventually landing a contract with Golden State. But Lin wound up getting dumped by the Warriors, then the Houston Rockets, before opportunity struck in New York.

Amid the mania, Payton is measured in assessing Lin's long-term potential. "He can be a good point guard," he said. "He's not going to be a Chris Paul. He's not going to be a Deron Williams. I think he can be like a John Stockton where he can facilitate a lot of things—make a lot of passes, hit the open shot when he has to, and make people around him better." Payton was quick to add that he meant that Lin's playing style resembled Stockton's—not that Lin was destined to have a career like the Jazz Hall of Famer's.
And Lin's defense? "Lot to learn," said the man who was so tenacious on defense they nicknamed him The Glove. "He doesn't play defense. That's straight, period. But nobody plays defense anyway. That's not the NBA, it's not in defensive mode. The only teams that play defense are Chicago and Miami."

Jeremy Lin recalled his sessions with Payton after Wednesday night's Knicks rout over Atlanta, in which he scored 17 points as the team moved to 8-2 in games he has started. "It was good, it was interesting," he told the Journal's Kevin Clark. Of Payton, Lin said: "He's a character."

This weekend, Payton is in Orlando for the NBA All-Star Game. Lately he has been active in Seattle's effort to return NBA basketball to that city. The Oregonian newspaper reported that Payton will follow his teaching of Lin by working with Jared Cunningham, currently at Oregon State University, where Payton starred in the late '80s.

Payton said he and Lin still exchange text messages, but never truly went head-to-head on the court in their training sessions. "He basically just wanted to play me all the time," Payton said. "That was his dream. I told him: You're not ready to do that. I'm not going to give you the opportunity until you prove it."

Jeremy Lin has proven a lot over the past few weeks. The mentor has noticed.

"This is how fate goes," Gary Payton said. "Everybody gets hurt, he gets off the bench, and he does what he does.…He's showing he can play basketball. They just didn't know it."

GP helping out the kid
pimp.gif

laugh.gif

nerd.gif

laugh.gif

nerd.gif

Originally Posted by DubA169

do you not understand why expectations are different between lebron and lin?

im not expecting the same nor is anyone else... ppl expect as great as lebron is to be a closer in clutch performances.... and ppl say lin is good so we expect him to play good against good teams... nothing more nothing less... no one with sense is expecting him to be cp3 tommorow but if you claim you are good im well just like anyone else expecting to see you play good against good players/teams whats to get

no one said he is stockton but you and others said he is good so i want to see him be good against other good players... ie the brandon jennings, the stephen currys etc... the mario chalmers...

same as we expect great players to be great against great players... we expect dwade to be good/great against kb8... it wouldnt impress anyone if he goes ham with mike bibby guarding him... no one is gonna throw a hoopla if cp3 has a amazing game against jarred jack..

if derrick rose gets the best of him no big deal its expected and i aint gonna be like ah you suck etc...because derrick is a elite great player, but if he cant handle the likes of players like lawson, curry, jennings, holiday then i cant say he is good because he wouldnt be able to compete with good players.

Back
Top Bottom