**Official Kendrick Lamar Thread 4th Studio Album ''DAMN.''Out Now**

I feel like to truly appreciate all of this album you have to be black. Hopefully that makes sense and doesn't come off wrong. Talked about this with others too and they seemed to agree. 

Could definitely appreciate/really liked a lot of the album. But of course certain chunks of it aren't relatable to me and that's fine. It's a black art form and it's awesome he's taking the role of being a positive influence on black youth. 

Even though it's obviously not the entertainers job, and obviously music isn't raising kids, entertainers have a huge sway on teens and people in general. It's commendable that he uses this powerful platform to me a positive voice. That's probably what I like about him the most. 

Liked the jazz, funk instrumentals as well. 

Did anyone get a little bit of Eminem on U? 

I disagree and agree on the part of being black to appreciate it. I'm indian, but growing up 90% of my friends were black, and I've only ever listened to rap music. But I do understand what you mean in a way. Cause my experiences weren't the same as a black adolescent. But man I truly appreciate this album. It's layered in so many ways that albums just aren't nowadays.

And yes on U that's what I thought immediately also.

Last edited:
How Much A Dollar Cost
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
Probably my favorite track right now

Whenever I see someone type that there are no "stand out tracks", it just translates to me as "there are no tracks I can bump in the whip or turn up to"

And whenever someone types "it's too deep", it just translates to me as "it's really boring & we'll try to make an excuse for it" :lol:

Not every hip hop listener is black & not everyone is on that Al Sharpton black power tip. I respect the project & the concept of the album. It's chill to me but i also understand if some people aren't feeling it either.

I don't think you have to be black to appreciate and understand Kendricks message to the youth and black community though.

That was Pete Rock on the Complexion hook?? :wow:,I kept thinking it was Thundercat since it sounded like helped produced it.

Last edited:
I mean the album is great if you were already a fan of kendrick and his style. This definitely won't make haters become fans, nor would it make people that had a problem with his voice like him.

Good album, I really really dislike all the pitch changes this time around. I know he did it a lot in gkmc but I feel it's kind of killing the sound on TPAB

Could an artist have come out with better sounding music in the 2.75 years it took to create this? Maybe..

Guess we'll see with frank ocean :lol:

The people that like the album are doggin' those who don't like the album saying their taste in music sucks, but that ain't the case. This isn't for everyone. I'm personally not telling ANYONE to listen to the album or trying to hype it up because this caters to my personal taste in music. No point in trying to convince people otherwise. Appreciate that you have an ear for good sound and keep it movin.

The people that don't like the album don't need to call it trash. Just because you ain't feelin' it doesn't make the other folks wrong. Just stick with what you like and exit the thread. No need to defend yourself if you're feeling like your tastes are being attacked.

This rift between the two sides is distracting from having a discussion about the album.

Last edited:
This is a great album. It's like spoken word over jazz/funk beats. **** is black poetry.

Just off the fist listen...

I love Institutionalized and U

The version of "I" on here is fire

Mortal Man is crazy. :wow:

You can't be serious.

Do you see you guys putting *turn up* in quotations in that condescending tone? Do you? You do.

People don't like thinking because they don't like the way the album sounds. You see it.

Mentioning Drake's music to make a point about why Kendrick is great. Unprompted. That's happening, too.

At least people who like *that* music don't feel the need to justify it to everyone. They're probably too busy having fun and enjoying their personal preference in music. Not feeling superior about it. Like...shut up.

dhMeAzK.gif

After relistening to the first 6 tracks on the way home, it's definitely a grower. Production as well. 

Last edited:
Wish I could do a cookout this summer and just throw this on the entire time.

I have no desire to play this album again.

Please don't disrespect Kast, Pac, and early Ice Cube by comparing this with some of their best work.

I'm black too.

Last edited:
Wish he rapped on the first beat of "Hood Politics" That **** is so damn groovy :smh:

I heard some stores got it out now. I went to pick it up and Target didn't have it yet. I'm also not paying $18 for it. I'll buy it later on. $18 for a CD in 2015 is disrespect. Calling it the Deluxe Edition when there's only one edition :smh:

Last edited:
I feel like some ppl are just saying they don't like it to get a rise out of some of you, :lol:

Liking it more w/ each listen :pimp:

Also, Best Buy out here had it out but wouldn't sell it to me, :lol:

I was kind of pissed but w/e, I can wait.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom