**Official Kendrick Lamar Thread 4th Studio Album ''DAMN.''Out Now**

Gave the album a second spin and it's more appreciated. A spliff definitely helped. You can tell he puts a lot of passion into his craft.

Still won't be listening to the album much after this. Just not the sound I'm trying to hear. Critics will praise this album though and deservingly so.

What do ya'll think the song These Walls is about?

I got from it that Kendrick smashed the girl of the dude who killed Dave out of revenge and that segways into the part of the album where he feels he's misusing his power which he says in the poem at the end of the track.

Not sure what's with all the 'if Kendrick didn't make this blah blah' can't you say that for basically any album? :lol:

Also surprised the song "momma" is getting no love. Yall want rappity technical rapping, it's right there on that track.

9/10 imo
Way different from GKMC and somewhat different from Section 80 in terms of mood, it's way darker and more anger in his flows
No bangers, just good ol self reflection and raw honesty
Kendrick is the real deal

What do ya'll think the song These Walls is about?

I got from it that Kendrick smashed the girl of the dude who killed Dave out of revenge and that segways into the part of the album where he feels he's misusing his power which he says in the poem at the end of the track.

Son just listened to this song. Blew my mind. :wow:

first it was like lmao he is talking about them sugar walls and has a bunch of puns like "I can feel your reign when it cries gold lives inside of you". Then if these walls could talk is basically the woman telling kendrick how happy she is when she is with him. Then the woman reveals how she is covering up herself with this fling relationship for her deeper problems. Then third verse it gets darker and kendrick addresses her baby daddy in prison, berating him saying to listen to "Sing About Me" from his first album how his friend got killed but karma came back and killer got indicted the same night. Then told him when this song replays listen to the first verse of how much he is enjoying his girl. If walls could talk but she is never going to tell this dude while he is in prison.

Then in another way the Walls are like Compton and how he had to live and flourish inside them because he had no choice ("if these walls could talk they would tell me to swim good" had a double meaning between the baby mama and Compton) and the "I resonate in these walls. I don't know how long I can wait in these walls. I've been on the streets looking at you from the outside in" and how badly he wanted to get out of those walls. Which is like the breaking of the cocoon he was in about his poem. )

Have held off listening to any of this besides Blacker the Berry. So ready for this to officially drop. Going to Best Buy asap next Tuesday.

My favorite thing about this album is that its everything people expect out of Kendrick but not what you expected as an album.

Thats what makes it so sweet IMO tho.

Its not trap, its not drake, (im a fan of both btw) its unapologetically black and a look into what happens when a good kid finds himself in a mad industry. Its got flows, its got lyrics, maybe the beats arent what you wanted but the symmetry from an artistic standpoint is undeniable.

One of the best things about the most prevelant rappers of this millenial generation is that because the music industry isnt doing "football numbers" and a major label doesnt guarantee success, they have the artistic freedom to create complete bodies of work and not worry about the single, the club hit, the love song; complete album creation that reigned in the 80s early 90s but seemed to stop during the mid90s with the prominent rappers that dominated my generation... (Some fell thru the cracks)

Some will like it, some will hate it, others wont understand it but one thing is for certain, to keep the balance of the rap game an album of this nature is essential.

Thats just my 2 cents...

After more spins, I definitely appreciate it a lot more than the first time.  Lyrics and storytelling will always be there with KDot.  Great album, but for me, sonically, GKMC > TPAB.

I don't think they outshine the lyrics but yea, the production is top notch on this album.

No one can call it a classic but ya'll can call it trash,
laugh.gif

I love NT.
I am one of the people who really like that album but classic is reaching.

There are many factors that make an album an classic, time being one of them, will this album be in rotation in 6 months, a year, 5 years. Labeling an album in days after release is all hype, GKMC had the same talk but it doesn't even have a track that can be played on radio anytime and bring you to that moment. Think of tracks like Ain't No *****, The World is Yours, In The Club, Elevators, Takeover, tracks from classic albums that shifted the culture.

I just prefer to let the album take it's course, the next few weeks will determine its place in the game. In a perfect world, rappers would step their **** up and stop making radio pop trap songs but with forces like Drake running rap presently why would anyone look to focus on content in their music. Everyone wants his formula, I mean it's winning.

For those who like the album we just have to cherish it for what Kendrick has offered and created but we can't open the eyes and minds of those who deem it trash. Maybe one day, once they tired of truffle buttering they will realize this body of work we were blessed with from the fluff and swag rap.

what ever happened to that Kendrick song he was spitting over the Bone Thugs beat

^ Okay, bye.

I didn't say I was exiting the thread man, just that I wasn't gonna be negative about the album :rofl:

You obviously took the time to read my post..... :rofl:

Crag we must legit have the same exact taste in music. Tetsuo is the best mainstream rap album out this year. I like TPAB its a solid album to me and i am glad its out in this day and age of rap and im glad people are listening to it. But from an artistic point of view i think tetsuo is an all around better album. The replay value with the multiple storylines running through multiple songs the total album being a story forwards and backwards the fact that murals exists :lol: (that song is almost perfect by itself).

I like it.

The album doesn't start until "u" to me though. And it's pretty great after that. A little heavy handed, thematically. And it's pretty specific, musically. I don't love it, but he's never made a complete project that I've loved. I can play it straight through, but I definitely won't be paying attention the entire time.

But I'm happy he made this album. And as someone else said, "I appreciate it more than I like it."

I just know it won't be long until I never listen to a few of these songs ever again. Like I loved the Pac thing, but I never want to hear it again.

Im just beyond confused why people always have to make these situations into a X vs. Y. 

If the music resonates with you then great, keep bumping it. Doesn't always have to be a "best". I don't remember ever reading any rules to liking or not liking music.  I personally like albums like this because they FORCE you to think and concentrate and hopefully, even evaluate yourself. In that sense, TPAB did its job. 

Lupe killed it this year, Kendrick killed it, Cole killed it, Krit killed it, etc... Just keep it movin. 

3e7c45513f189bab8a2b4388783ebc8a.jpg

Last edited:
That's a Glasses Malone song

thank u found it

after a couple spins I feel the album needed just ONE more Alright, Money Tree, Westside Right On Time record this would have been just that plus it fits the theme

Last edited:

Im just beyond confused why people always have to make these situations into a X vs. Y. 

If the music resonates with you then great, keep bumping it. Doesn't always have to be a "best". I don't remember ever reading any rules to liking or not liking music.  I personally like albums like this because they FORCE you to think and concentrate and hopefully, even evaluate yourself. In that sense, TPAB did its job. 

Lupe killed it this year, Kendrick killed it, Cole killed it... Just keep it movin. 

3e7c45513f189bab8a2b4388783ebc8a.jpg

You couldn't throw KRIT in there famo?

"U" might be my favorite on here.... had it stuck in my head all last night.

Loving you is complicated...Loving you is complicated.

My boy hit me asking was anything I would recommend on here cuz he sampled it on itunes and decided it wasnt for him.

I plan on telling him to revisit U, Alright and Hood Politics... I cant call it outside of that, and even that may be a stretch

Good album. Better with the 2nd listen. Overrated, but I understand and expected this type of acclaim.

Album is smooth as **** though. I'm enjoying it.

As far as calling it a "classic"' I feel like that term should only be reserved for the absolute best of albums. It's all subjective.

To me, Illmatic and Reasonable doubt are examples of complete classics...this isn't on that level. Still a really good album nonetheless.

Back
Top Bottom