**Official Kendrick Lamar Thread 4th Studio Album ''DAMN.''Out Now**

This need drop review is spot on.

I work at a indie record store in va and we get the physical release tomorrow. Lots of ppl were coming by the store today asking for it.

I'm buyin three. Art that can uplift is priceless.

Rap isn't always about turning up.

The intent that was put into this to elevate the taste level while reminding you of the roots of hiphop...like it shows you how much a person has been programmed IMO.

"Be different, do different things"( kush &corinthians)

U give someone something unique and they can't understand it...it's expected.

I think music is also devalued so much...like I knew to take my time n listen to it in its entirety when I can rather than late Sunday night...

Only person making artist making lyrical content close to this is big krit...

It doesn't matter how much this sells. The fact that music like this is selling should be more important to folks. This a great time in music imo. The mid 200s was a bit rough, but it's come a long way.

I would be interested to know if anyone that has heard Kendrick Lamar ep, overly dedicated or section.80 that doesn't like the album...

I feel like they may be able to articulate why they don't like the album. This one guy that came in the store today said he heard a bit of it and then commented on king kunta saying he "wishes he brought IT more"...but then said it was enough to get him into the store so...

I just smh

Hiphop hasn't seen true innovation arguably since yeezus but this raises the bar by thematically delivering content you can relate to (specifically black/urban youth) instead of that high brow luxury and/or drug kingpin stuff ye and most rappers spit or lie about

Last edited:
It doesn't matter how much this sells. The fact that music like this is selling should be more important to folks. This a great time in music imo. The mid 200s was a bit rough, but it's come a long way.

Your avy is so damn flagrant

Went into a Walmart today and asked a worker there, (black, if you were wondering) if they got Kendrick Lamar's CD yet... She responded with a , "who?" I looked at her... [emoji]128533[/emoji]

Just got around to listening to TPAB in its entirety, i respect the message, I like the artist, and I really enjoyed Section 80 and GKMC, but off the first listen I dont think I like this album. I want to like it, I just cant get into it like his previous projects. I love the funk and jazz elements on the album but the amount of "poetry" style rapping is too much for me. I'm all for a message in rap music but this is a little too much for me. 

I will be listening to this a couple more times though, I'm hoping my opinion changes. 
Be prepared for:

A. You have no soul

B. You like trap music

C. You're a Drake Fan

D. All of the above
laugh.gif
 i feel you bro, ive read some of the comments in here and on reddit. For the record I'm not a fan of Drake at all, like some trap music and like to think i have sufficient soul.

Just got around to listening to TPAB in its entirety, i respect the message, I like the artist, and I really enjoyed Section 80 and GKMC, but off the first listen I dont think I like this album. I want to like it, I just cant get into it like his previous projects. I love the funk and jazz elements on the album but the amount of "poetry" style rapping is too much for me. I'm all for a message in rap music but this is a little too much for me. 
Exactly how I feel

Didn't you used to have the Salim Stoudemire avy?
Yes I did, probably gonna go back to it since it is tourney time 
pimp.gif

Went into a Walmart today and asked a worker there, (black, if you were wondering) if they got Kendrick Lamar's CD yet... She responded with a , "who?" I looked at her... [emoji]128533[/emoji]

The fact that you went into Wal-mart to look for it........:stoneface:

The fact that you went into Wal-mart to look for it........:stoneface:
Yeah I know right. I was there for some steaks to grill but thought I should check anyways. ... Not to mention, I've been checking best buy since Monday since someone posted a hard copy of it.. No luck.

Famb, Walmart only sells edited albums. Dont do that to yourself.

I will be listening to this a couple more times though, I'm hoping my opinion changes. 

This is honestly how I feel.... I love the production... But not feeling Kendrick so much... His style, and flow just aren't there for me... The lyrics are superb, but I don't think it will be in my rotation long...

And the Tupac interview.... Corny... The Tupac monologues are amazing, but the interview format is corny...

Hated the album my first listen now I can't stop listening to it. U has became my favorite track. Instrumentals on the second part are amazing. Wish the intro instrumentals to hood politics had their own track. Love it.

if you slander this album and say you hear political, black panther rap, then obviously you just heard nothing but 2 songs. it's annoying, this album isn't about being oppressed at all. King Kunta, ONE part of hood politics, and TBTB are the only ones that maybe mention "political ****". I listened to this album and immediately I feel like just vibing and two stepping to the production.
People say he back tracked from GKMC. Are you ******* serious? Listen to the album. Don't skim through it. People say he didn't tear a beat up like he's known for. Did you not hear institutionalized??? U??? For free? How much a dollar cost? Momma? Hood politics?
The slander I'm heading doesn't make sense. This album is beautiful sonically, he's lyrics just put the icing on the cake.
This ain't no complain to the government, dashiki wearing type of rap. This ain't no ******* BOOM BAP rap. This is just some dope *** music. I love the album.

if you slander this album and say you hear political, black panther rap, then obviously you just heard nothing but 2 songs. it's annoying, this album isn't about being oppressed at all. King Kunta, ONE part of hood politics, and TBTB are the only ones that maybe mention "political ****". I listened to this album and immediately I feel like just vibing and two stepping to the production.
People say he back tracked from GKMC. Are you ******* serious? Listen to the album. Don't skim through it. People say he didn't tear a beat up like he's known for. Did you not hear institutionalized??? U??? For free? How much a dollar cost? Momma? Hood politics?
The slander I'm heading doesn't make sense. This album is beautiful sonically, he's lyrics just put the icing on the cake.
This ain't no complain to the government, dashiki wearing type of rap. This ain't no ******* BOOM BAP rap. This is just some dope *** music. I love the album.

Agreed.
Some of the problem lies in the fact that some people want instant gratification from the jump. So if a track isn't getting off within the first 30 seconds then people may just disregard the rest of the track entirely. It's a lot of material to digest, and even with multiple listens the most avid fan will need more spins to appreciate and understand whats really going on. K Dot is still rapping his *** off IMO, it might not sound as aggressive as the "control" verse but it's still there, you just have to listen.

Back
Top Bottom