**Official Kendrick Lamar Thread 4th Studio Album ''DAMN.''Out Now**

Things are starting to connect but I'm still a little lost as to what Lucy represents.

The Devil = Lucy
All the evils and temptations he attributes.
Yeah as stated above. Lucifer.

The album has similarities to Cole's last project in the aspect where the beginning and end of the album is based around entertainment and how they are used and abused, Lucy makes appearances around the album because of the temptations placed in front of Kendrick due to his success, album also is about the role of black folks in society and unifying, he is promoting us to come together to fight the real enemy. Another subjects on the album is materialism, respect, self worth and self esteem. The album appears to be a huge release (pause) for Kendrick on tracks where he raps about homies loss in the struggle like on 'u'.

I really like how Kendrick goes "into character" from the Mother to the Kid, he uses his voice to build the imagery, even tho rap wise he story telling isn't like a Joe Budden (3 Sides to a Story, excellent story telling track), the voices bring more life to his stories.

I peeped someone called it classic again above, you have to chill, please. Only nowadays folks are quick to deem a classic, in such a ADD state we are living in lol. Let the album marinate and make it mark, if it is truly a classic it will flourish as such, as the force of calling it classic won't really make it deemed so.

"Obama said what it do " is a hidden message
That's what I'm thinking also, but what....

I've been listening to the album 4 days straight and I find something new I like everyday. Last night felt like the first time I heard of "U", and I was in Awe.

Last edited:
That second part of U....man [emoji]128293[/emoji][emoji]128293[/emoji][emoji]128293[/emoji][emoji]128293[/emoji]

Where was yo antennas? [emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji]

Robert Glasper, Terrace Martin and Thundercat flourishing all over the album.

Man. Kendrick really gave great musicians an opportunity to flourish on a major album release. Bilal killing the hooks as well.

Those Thundercat basslines.... smh!

Last edited:

Terrace Martin was killing the second half of "u." Sounding like a young Coltrane.

Robert Glasper, Terrace Martin and Thundercat flourishing all over the album.
Word along with James Fauntleroy,Flying Lotus,Anna Wise and Rapsody. This dude Kendrick has great taste 
laugh.gif
smokin.gif

Last edited:
a lot of insightful discussion in here.
shouts to the participants.
I'd like to focus on the third verse in Momma.
I keep trying to figure out if the child he's speaking to is a young African child or a child from Compton.
he mentions a trip to Africa to visit Mandela's cell on "Mortal Man"
also the title could be telling since Africa is commonly referred to as the Motherland.
the line "Kendrick you do know my language/you just forgot 'cause of what public schools have painted" could refer to the lack of Black History being promoted in our schools.

But on the other hand......

When he mentions "if you choose destiny over Rest in Peace/then tell your homies especially...to come back home"
He could be referring to his spirituality
& How fame/temptation/Lucy has caused him to stray from his relationship with God.
on GKMC his homies were convinced to accept Jesus by the elderly woman.
Maybe in his absence/rise to stardom, they have strayed in the same manner he has.

This could also be tied back to the end of the second verse...."...until I realized I didn't know s***/until I came back home"
He could simply be referring to a trip back to Compton.
he feels that he has grown and seen new things while on his rise to fame.
unfortunately, the state of Compton hasn't changed.
He may be filling guilt from not using his newfound visibility to spark any change in his hometown.

So many layers man.
This joint is definitely a conversation piece.
Whole album is really flames if I'm being honest.
Some familiarity with the Funk genre definitely assists with the listening process.
The homage to James Brown with his delivery on King Kunta and the way that song builds along with the subtle Roger Troutman-esque/voice box background vocals towards the end???

Man listen...

:smh::smh::smh: don't be afraid to say this album is underwhelming. Too much reaching in here to justify this album. I think we all know what the elephant in the room is.

Also nice to see Tisa on this album as well. :lol:

Now, personally I think the album from the sound to the lyrics is about Kendrick really finding himself as a person and artist more than anything. His is the butterfly, he is the pimp, he is the concept. Really feel it's about self identity

in your own words

what message do you get from this album?

my opinion is ..since he got fame now .. Obama noticed his talent & Kendrick is not trying to have no dealings with that ... Just like Lucy ... I could be wrong though
I just relistened and IMO, could be that through all the crap society is going through, Obama is just chilling saying, "what it do.."

I just relistened and IMO, could be that through all the crap society is going through, Obama is just chilling saying, "what it do.."

I think he saying "Obama, say, what it do?"
like he's looking for Obama's insight
but the constraints placed on Obama won't allow him to address the destruction happening within the urban community...at least to Kendrick's liking.
he's looking for answers/solutions/change that Obama has yet to provide/inspire.

"...they give us guns and drugs/keep they promise to f*** with you/no condom they f*** with you/Obama, say, what it do"

The explanations that you guys have come up with are also fitting. Reps to the both of for furthering the discussion on this album.

Last edited:
I think he saying "Obama, say, what it do?"
like he's looking for Obama's insight
but the constraints placed on Obama won't allow him to address the destruction happening within the urban community...at least to Kendrick's liking.
he's looking for answers/solutions/change that Obama has yet to provide/inspire.

"...they give us guns and drugs/keep they promise to f*** with you/no condom they f*** with you/Obama, say, what it do"

The explanations that you guys have come up with are also fitting. Reps to the both of for furthering the discussion on this album.
I didn't think of this way. Repped

I peeped someone called it classic again above, you have to chill, please. Only nowadays folks are quick to deem a classic, in such a ADD state we are living in lol. Let the album marinate and make it mark, if it is truly a classic it will flourish as such, as the force of calling it classic won't really make it deemed so.
What's really the big deal if someone feels it's a classic and wants to label it so? I am not going to argue anyone's opinion, which seems to be a full time job for a lot of people on this planet. I'm in the same boat as you; I think an album needs to stand the test of time in order for it to be deemed a classic, but that doesn't make us anymore right than someone who thinks otherwise.

"Uh, and when I wake up
I recognize you're lookin' at me for the pay cut
But homicide be lookin' at you from the face down
What Mac-11 even boom with the bass down
Schemin'! And let me tell you 'bout my life
Painkillers only put me in the twilight
Where pretty ***** and Benjamin is the highlight
Now tell my momma I love her but this what I like."

ALLS MY LIFE I HAS TO FIGHT *****

Can't wait to ride out to this **** in the summer.

I take back what I said about For Sale. The more I listen to it and realized who and what he was talking about, I love it. That and Institutionalized have been bumpin' all day.
For Free is still some **** tho 
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom