OFFICIAL LAKERS 2009/2010 (57-25) 2009-2010 CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!

Report: Kobe, Bynum return to practice
Comment Email Print Share
ESPN.com news services

Kobe Bryant will rejoin the Los Angeles Lakers when they face the Golden State Warriors on Tuesday, according to the Los Angeles Times.

Bryant has missed three straight games, all of which the Western Conference-leading Lakers have won, since spraining his left ankle against the Denver Nuggets on Feb. 5.

Bryant

Bryant, along with banged-up center Andrew Bynum, returned to practice on Monday, according to the Times.

"He said he didn't have the normal strength he'd like to have, but it'll come back," Lakers Coach Phil Jackson told the newspaper about Bryant. "That's just getting back in the flow and getting some strength there again, reconditioning it. He hasn't played in two weeks, so there's a lot of things that he was trying out and trying to figure out -- passes that went awry and shots he was reluctant to shoot -- but he'll come [around]."

While Bryant is set to return Tuesday, the Lakers could have Bynum back as well, according to the Times. He has missed the last two games with a bruised right hip.

"I'm definitely limited, but I'm going to try to give it a go," Bynum told the newspaper. "I just want to see if it'll get worse. Every step you take, the muscle rubs over the top of it and it's real painful."

With or without Bynum, the Lakers (41-13) seem to have a very good chance to begin the second half of the season on a positive note as they host the Warriors. Los Angeles has won 28 of 31 at home against Golden State since 1993-94.

Meanwhile, persistent back pain caused by a pinch nerve will force Luke Walton to take another indefinite leave, according to the newspaper.

"Right now it's kind of experimental with Luke," Jackson told the Times. "We're trying to see where he can get to in this season and can continue on, hopefully, without having to do anything that would eliminate his year."

Lakers-Blazers-Bulls Deal Collapses, Minnesota in Play

Bleacher Report: If the Los Angeles Lakers are going to make a play for Chicago Bulls guard Kirk Hinrich, they will have to find another team to facilitate the deal for the versatile defender.
The Portland Trailblazers have decided against taking on the contract of guard Sasha Vujacic and reportedly have dropped negotiations.

Despite strong efforts by the Lakers front office to obtain Kirk Hinrich by sending out players Adam Morrison and Sasha Vujacic, the Lakers could not persuade neither the Bulls nor the Trailblazers to take on additional salary in Vujacic’s contract, who will make $5.5 million throughout 2011.

The Bulls refused to receive any contracts that would jeopardize their summer cap space. Moreover, the general feeling communicated to Lakers management by the Portland Trailblazers was that they do not need the services of the Slovenian guard.

With trade negotiations between the Lakers and Bulls hitting a stalemate, the Lakers front office is likely to stand pat at this year’s Feb. 18 trade deadline if they cannot find a third team to take on an unwanted contract. Lakers owner Jerry Buss is very reluctant to acquire a player that would place additional financial obligations to the luxury taxpaying, defending champion Lakers unless they can remove one of their long-term contracts in Walton or Vujacic.

With that being said, keep an eye out for the Minnesota Timberwolves. As reported by Yahoo Sports Adrian Wojnarowski, the Minnesota Timberwolves are in play for Chicago Bulls athletic forward Tyrus Thomas.

However, with Portland out of the picture, one source indicates that the Lakers plan on reaching out to Minnesota to assist in a three-team deal.

Should Minnesota be willing to facilitate a trade, the parameters, as proposed by Lakers management, would be as followed: The Los Angeles Lakers would receive guard Kirk Hinrich, the Minnesota Timberwolves would receive forward Tyrus Thomas and guard Sasha Vujacic, and the Chicago Bulls would receive the expiring contracts of Adam Morrison, Brian Cardinal, and Sasha Pavlovic, as well as draft considerations.

Make it happen Kurt!!! Convince Minny brass to do this
laugh.gif

I didn't really like that article about Kobe in the new Slam. 

1 he brought up Shaq in a negative light for no damn reason.
2 he mentions doing whatever he wants however he wants without consulting his teammates (ie working on his post game without telling Pau or Bynum to work maybe on a 12-15 footer to complement)
3 I forgot the rest. 
laugh.gif

Anyway, one of the things that bothers me with Shaq, is dude always has LA/Kobe/Phil on his mind, always speakin on it 6 years after the fact.  For the most part, Kobe and Phil have done a good job staying away from that, but in this article Kobe mentions Phil not having to be all sensitive with Shaq, and that pisses me off.  Save that crap Kobe, don't get Shaq started again. 
And why the hell WOULDN"T you talk to your low post players if you plan on incoporating a new area in your game?  If the other guys don't know where you plan on taking up space, how can they know where to work (provided they actually work on other parts of their game like you do, but whatever)

To me, that article was all fail. 
smh.gif

what did he exactly say about shaq?...im not for kobe to bring this up again but i think its kobes time to vent and take some jabs after all this stuff shaq has said...i bet tell me how my --- taste is still in the back of kobes mind and now that kobe has won without shaq hes proved everyone including shaq he can do it

just saying though

im gonna have to pick up a copy of this slam

haha i cant believe i believe him but Ocho Cinco just reported kobes not playing tonight.

In the March issue of GQ (on newsstands February 23), writer J.R.Moehringer — he of The Los Angeles Times and Andre Agassi's new memoir"Open" — sits down with Lakers star Kobe Bryant to discuss his many injuries, going to the Olympics, and his famously volatile relationship with Shaq.

TrueHoop has a list of reasons why the article is a must-read, including this spot-on passage about how people react to seeing Bryant:
"Passengersand pilots in the airport stare. They don't bother to pretend they'renot staring. They stare with eyes and mouths wide open, faces frozen,like victims of a Taser or a taxidermist."

Iwitnessed the rock star stares first-hand at NBA Jam Session over theweekend; grown men and women were nearly in tears about having touchedBryant's windbreaker as he strolled over to the 2K Sports booth to handout novelty-sized checks and to chat with The Jones. It was surreal.

But if that's not enough to get you to click over, here are few more Kobe quotes:
http://
ept_sports_nba_experts-80044822-1266341102.jpg
On being surrounded by the best of the best athletes at the Olympics: "I felt like Harry Potter going to Hogwarts."

Onhis relationship with Shaq: "The biggest mistake I made was respondingto what he was saying about me. Once I responded, now that made it seemlike I was part of that whole thing. It's like, Okay, these two areagainst each other. As opposed to just staying quiet, which is whatI've been doing the last few years. Let him say what he needs to say."

And finally, this hilarious exchange on how Kobe's win-at-all-costs mind-set does carry over to the rest of his life:
"Whatpeople see on court is another side of me; it's not me. That dark sidethat's coming to get you — ha ha! I'm not losing this [expletive] game— that's not who I am. That's part of me. Off the court, I'm completelydifferent."

In almost the same breath he admits that a simple game of Cranium with his wife can turn into guerrilla warfare.

Cranium? The kids' board game? With Sensosketches and Cloodles?

He purses his lips, nods his head slowly: No joke.

http://www.gq.com/sports/profiles/201003/kobe-bryant?currentPage=1

Looks like Ocho Cinco is right.  How the hell that dude know before anyone else? 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Ska was right, looks like Kobe sits til Boston.  Good thing about that, after Boston, there is another 6 day wait til we play Memphis the following Wednesday I believe.   So that's even more rest for the team.  Let's hope that helps Bynum and Kobe out big time, as well as Walton, Odom, Gasol, etc etc etc. 

Originally Posted by westcoastsfinest

do you guys think we actually do a trade before the deadline?

other than sasha for a piece of gum of course

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see Farmar and Sasha not in a Laker uniform after the deadline.

nerd.gif

Looks like Kobe isnt playing tomorrow.

I was somewhat worried there because I thought the game was @Boston. That wouldve been an L right there.

Anyway, Lakers gonna have to play one more game of inspired ball

Kobe goes from never ever ever missing a game, to now it's gonna be a few weeks?  Something is not right here, and I don't like that. 

On the bright side, I hope it means everything else will be healed for him when he returns. 

And the team said it was "better" then they thought.  Yet, all this time?  Something is amiss.  
ohwell.gif

^ I don't think there's anything wrong; in fact, I think it's quite the opposite. I think he planned on missing a couple games while wishing he could be out longer than that. The team has won all 4, so he's just like 'Well eff it, I wanted to be out longer anyways, 'cause my body is all kinds of bruised up. So if y'all are gonna keep winning, let me keep sitting out. Thanks, guys!
happy.gif
I need this.'

I am completely fine with Kobe resting as long as he needs right now, and yes, that's because we're 4-0 and playing a very team-oriented style in his temporary absence.

However, I wouldn't want him to miss more than 10 games. We're 4-0 so far; if I were calling the shots, I'd say 2-3 more games. That would guarantee we went above .500 while he was gone (a mental booster for the team), and with the All Star break in the middle of those 10 games, that would give him like 3 weeks off to rest his foot multiple injuries.

^
Good point, so if we were 2-2 then he would be in the lineup tomorrow no matter what.  Yeah, I can dig it. 

Ok, I can get with that.  Plus he practiced on Monday, he wouldn't have done that if they didn't think he was at least close.  Ok, maybe it's not as bad. 

If ya'll are hearing about Roy up here, it's panic mode up in Portland.  He is on the verge of shutting it down.  So I keep thinking of a similar situation, which is why I'm a little more nervous I guess.  Good call Ska. 

Originally Posted by FrenchBlue23

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see Farmar and Sasha not in a Laker uniform after the deadline.

nerd.gif

What do you have in mind their?  Chicago? 

Originally Posted by CP1708

Originally Posted by FrenchBlue23

nerd.gif

What do you have in mind their?  Chicago? 

Si. 

is sasha as dumb as helooks on defense? good lord.... what about james posey????

everywhere he goes teams win championships.....ie heat and celtics...

enrique23 wrote:
 The Los Angeles Lakers would receive guard Kirk Hinrich, the Minnesota Timberwolves would receive forward Tyrus Thomas and guard Sasha Vujacic, and the Chicago Bulls would receive the expiring contracts of Adam Morrison, Brian Cardinal, and Sasha Pavlovic, as well as draft considerations.

eek.gif

Originally Posted by knightngale

I read an article that said the lakers rejected a trade consisting of morrison+fisher for heinrich

indifferent.gif
if true
Well, on paper I feel the same way, but we have to accept that the organization (and many fans, myself included) have a soft spot for Derek. We can't and won't do that to him.

Back
Top Bottom