[::Official Lakers Offseason Thread | Vol. Watch out world...we might sign Othello Hunter::]

List your priorities, Lakers fans.

I've gone with these issues:
- bench
- PG
- head coach
- shooters

Use those or create your own.

My priorities:
#1. Head coach
We can't start training camp in a few months if we don't even know what kind of offense/defense we're going to be running.

#2. PG
Fish is my dude, and I've aid many times that HE has been my favorite Laker the last decade or so... but he's not cutting it anymore. We need a PG that is going to quarterback this team in times of trouble, when other teams are making 11-0 runs, when we're up 16 and the other team is gaining momentum... FAST. We need someone with the confidence to say "We're going to get a couple stops and a couple buckets, and here's how," and then do it. He needs to see weaknesses in the other team at all times, he needs to be constantly be aware of who's hot for us, and if no one is, then he needs to either GET someone hot or get a couple buckets himself. Fisher... did not do that this playoffs; hell, not this year.

#3. Shooter
I see you guys mentioning guys like Arenas, and that's what I'm talking about. We need people who can DRAIN from the perimeter. Ray Allen, James Jones, James Harden... those guys make sure the defense doesn't just constantly double Pierce/Garnett, Wade/LeBron, Westbrook/Durant, because they WILL get found by the team's PG (see my 2nd priority), and they WILL put up 3-balls for days.

#4. Bench
Yeah, we need to improve our bench, but I have this as our last priority because today's NBA is really more of a 7-8 man rotation. I think if we kept 2 of 3 Bs on the bench (Brown, Barnes, Blake), we'd be alright. If we pick up a shooter, get rid if Brown. If we get a PG, get rid of Blake.

- bench
- PG
- head coach
- shooters

My priorities:
#1. Head coach
We can't start training camp in a few months if we don't even know what kind of offense/defense we're going to be running.

#2. PG
Fish is my dude, and I've aid many times that HE has been my favorite Laker the last decade or so... but he's not cutting it anymore. We need a PG that is going to quarterback this team in times of trouble, when other teams are making 11-0 runs, when we're up 16 and the other team is gaining momentum... FAST. We need someone with the confidence to say "We're going to get a couple stops and a couple buckets, and here's how," and then do it. He needs to see weaknesses in the other team at all times, he needs to be constantly be aware of who's hot for us, and if no one is, then he needs to either GET someone hot or get a couple buckets himself. Fisher... did not do that this playoffs; hell, not this year.

#3. Shooter
I see you guys mentioning guys like Arenas, and that's what I'm talking about. We need people who can DRAIN from the perimeter. Ray Allen, James Jones, James Harden... those guys make sure the defense doesn't just constantly double Pierce/Garnett, Wade/LeBron, Westbrook/Durant, because they WILL get found by the team's PG (see my 2nd priority), and they WILL put up 3-balls for days.

#4. Bench
Yeah, we need to improve our bench, but I have this as our last priority because today's NBA is really more of a 7-8 man rotation. I think if we kept 2 of 3 Bs on the bench (Brown, Barnes, Blake), we'd be alright. If we pick up a shooter, get rid if Brown. If we get a PG, get rid of Blake.

Originally Posted by Freeze

that trade is ******ed. and no way i want arenas.
I think Arenas being around Kobe can be a good thing. Get Arenas in the gym and motivated, lets not forget who Arenas was 3 years ago.

that trade is ******ed. and no way i want arenas.
I think Arenas being around Kobe can be a good thing. Get Arenas in the gym and motivated, lets not forget who Arenas was 3 years ago.

I hate talking about specific players, because then we just get ourselves all excited, talking about how that guy is gonna bring what we didn't have against a certain team... and then we sign someone like freaking Steve Blake, who was definitely not who we were talking about.

BUT...

Arenas would be awesome. You can NOT leave him open. He's not the player he once was, where he would just get buckets for days, but you double Pau in the paint, and Arenas WILL make you pay from beyond.

I hate talking about specific players, because then we just get ourselves all excited, talking about how that guy is gonna bring what we didn't have against a certain team... and then we sign someone like freaking Steve Blake, who was definitely not who we were talking about.

BUT...

Arenas would be awesome. You can NOT leave him open. He's not the player he once was, where he would just get buckets for days, but you double Pau in the paint, and Arenas WILL make you pay from beyond.

agree on all points in that post above. i've been telling dudes for a long time that we need a real consistent 3pt shooter. missing those threes are not only lost points, but usually turn into points for the other team via fast break.

fish is always a favorite, but i think youth prevails at this point. we just saw an old celtics team lose, following a relatively old and tired lakers team. need some new blood in this crew while kobe is still around.

agree on all points in that post above. i've been telling dudes for a long time that we need a real consistent 3pt shooter. missing those threes are not only lost points, but usually turn into points for the other team via fast break.

fish is always a favorite, but i think youth prevails at this point. we just saw an old celtics team lose, following a relatively old and tired lakers team. need some new blood in this crew while kobe is still around.

....clearly you guys havent watched magic games this year..arenas is a wash. and whats worse is he's oblivious to it.

....clearly you guys havent watched magic games this year..arenas is a wash. and whats worse is he's oblivious to it.

Gilbert is dead guys.  1 good game a month is about what you can expect from him.  He's horrible.  Only way I accept him is that he comes with Dwight, otherwise, no way in hell. 

Oh, and he comes in at a tidy 22 million a year, for another 3 years or so.................................................

Luke's contract, TRIPLED ya'll. 

Gilbert is dead guys.  1 good game a month is about what you can expect from him.  He's horrible.  Only way I accept him is that he comes with Dwight, otherwise, no way in hell. 

Oh, and he comes in at a tidy 22 million a year, for another 3 years or so.................................................

skip names, just off of what i've watched we need:

- a great pg, but we can settle for a fast decent one, cp is great, same with dwill, jameer perhaps, aaron brooks. when is walls rookie contract up? next year?

- at least 2 3-pt shooters. good perimeter defense will lock up one, but with 2 to stretch the floor, really opens things up.

- if bynums body was 100%, he'd be fine to stay, but dwight brings soooo much to the table with his defense and offensive abilities.

- defensive minded coach, that also preaches mental toughness for those stretches when the guys get lacksidaisical.

- some advancements in the bench. preferably somebody that can bring instant offense. hopefully somebody that started on another squad and willing to come off the bench.

these are alot of things to ask for, but they seem to be the most important. this is where we lacked in the dallas series and also in the past. if we could find a way to match up with every single team, we'll be back to figure form. i'm sure blake will want to sign with us when is rookie contract is up as well.

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

I'm sorry, but are you talking about an Arenas in the WNBA or something? Because Gilbert is trash.

skip names, just off of what i've watched we need:

- a great pg, but we can settle for a fast decent one, cp is great, same with dwill, jameer perhaps, aaron brooks. when is walls rookie contract up? next year?

- at least 2 3-pt shooters. good perimeter defense will lock up one, but with 2 to stretch the floor, really opens things up.

- if bynums body was 100%, he'd be fine to stay, but dwight brings soooo much to the table with his defense and offensive abilities.

- defensive minded coach, that also preaches mental toughness for those stretches when the guys get lacksidaisical.

- some advancements in the bench. preferably somebody that can bring instant offense. hopefully somebody that started on another squad and willing to come off the bench.

these are alot of things to ask for, but they seem to be the most important. this is where we lacked in the dallas series and also in the past. if we could find a way to match up with every single team, we'll be back to figure form. i'm sure blake will want to sign with us when is rookie contract is up as well.

I'm sorry, but are you talking about an Arenas in the WNBA or something? Because Gilbert is trash.

Originally Posted by CP1708

Chuck Hayes as well. 
nerd.gif

Either one of those would be EXCELLENT to have as back up for if/when we make a Bynum/Odom swap for Dwight.  We'd be able to keep a "3" man rotation of bigs, Dwight/Pau/one of these free agents......

Yes, I know that I am dreaming, shut up and lemme alone with it. 
laugh.gif

Kapono?
Ronnie Price
Al Thorton
Marcus Thorton 
nerd.gif

Battier, Grant Hill or Prince are vet SF's out there.  (not sure what they'd want)

Jamal Crawford and JR Smith the elite SG options.  J-Rich too, but he's too expensive. 
About these guys:

Jason Kapono - Kupchak was going to pick him in 03 had the Cavs not picked him. Good shooter but offers nothing else. He also went to my HS.
laugh.gif

Ronnie Price - Already talked about him. Can't run PG and not big enough to be a SG. I do like his toughness and athleticism.
Al Thornton - Wreckless SF that doesn't do much but score. And even then he's not the smartest scorer around.
Marcus Thornton - I think the Kings will keep him but very explosive scorer which would be nice to have off the bench.

I also like Delonte West but uh that might not be a good mix.
nerd.gif
laugh.gif
I think he's staying with the Celtics anyways.
If the Jazz let him go (team option), I like CJ Miles. Streaky shooter that has good athleticism.

No one on the free agency market really interests me that much if I'm being realistic with cap considerations and team needs/fit.
ohwell.gif

Chuck Hayes as well. 
nerd.gif

Either one of those would be EXCELLENT to have as back up for if/when we make a Bynum/Odom swap for Dwight.  We'd be able to keep a "3" man rotation of bigs, Dwight/Pau/one of these free agents......

Yes, I know that I am dreaming, shut up and lemme alone with it. 
laugh.gif

Kapono?
Ronnie Price
Al Thorton
Marcus Thorton 
nerd.gif

Battier, Grant Hill or Prince are vet SF's out there.  (not sure what they'd want)

Jamal Crawford and JR Smith the elite SG options.  J-Rich too, but he's too expensive. 
About these guys:

Jason Kapono - Kupchak was going to pick him in 03 had the Cavs not picked him. Good shooter but offers nothing else. He also went to my HS.
laugh.gif

Ronnie Price - Already talked about him. Can't run PG and not big enough to be a SG. I do like his toughness and athleticism.
Al Thornton - Wreckless SF that doesn't do much but score. And even then he's not the smartest scorer around.
Marcus Thornton - I think the Kings will keep him but very explosive scorer which would be nice to have off the bench.

I also like Delonte West but uh that might not be a good mix.
nerd.gif
laugh.gif
I think he's staying with the Celtics anyways.
If the Jazz let him go (team option), I like CJ Miles. Streaky shooter that has good athleticism.

No one on the free agency market really interests me that much if I'm being realistic with cap considerations and team needs/fit.
ohwell.gif

- bench
- PG
- head coach
- shooters

My priorities:
#1. Head coach

#2. PG

#3. Shooter

#4. Bench
This, That, Thus, and them.

- bench
- PG
- head coach
- shooters

My priorities:
#1. Head coach

#2. PG

#3. Shooter

#4. Bench
This, That, Thus, and them.

I'm not sold on Gilbert being done. Give him an entire offseason to recover and he could still be a viable option at PG. The contract is what bothers me....too much money for only a potentially viable option.

They like him too much. I don't see him leaving Utah. If they do though, I think we HAVE to get this guy. Young, Athletic, and the SG/SF that would help anchor our bench.

I'm not sold on Gilbert being done. Give him an entire offseason to recover and he could still be a viable option at PG. The contract is what bothers me....too much money for only a potentially viable option.

They like him too much. I don't see him leaving Utah. If they do though, I think we HAVE to get this guy. Young, Athletic, and the SG/SF that would help anchor our bench.

This probably sounds dumb, but I'm hoping for a long lockout.
-Gives us more time to rest
-League/Teams finances out of order/confusion - gives us a better chance at a huge trade
nerd.gif

This probably sounds dumb, but I'm hoping for a long lockout.
-Gives us more time to rest
-League/Teams finances out of order/confusion - gives us a better chance at a huge trade
nerd.gif

Count me in on that CJ Miles mention.  I would certainly welcome that, maybe even over JR as he seems a safer player to deal with.  JR the better player, but also more "work" and havin him on the floor at the same time as Ron would give me nightmares. 
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom