Official LEBRON 2010 Thread (The Decision: MIAMI HEAT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best article I've read in this entire LeBron saga and without any stupid rumors, drumming up stupid player scenarios, etc. . Just substance and I agree wholeheartedly. I really don't think LeBron is leaving.

SPORTS NUT
Jamestown Colony
Why it's a bad idea for LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, and Chris Bosh to team up.
By Josh Levin
Posted Wednesday, June 30, 2010, at 7:36 PM ET
If anonymous sources are to be believed, LeBron James is going to sign with every team that can offer him a contract. Over the weekend, the New York Times brought news from an unnamed "executive" that James would team up with Chris Bosh in Chicago, calling the move a "done deal." The Cleveland Plain-Dealer (perhaps wishfully) reported that "a source close to James" believed the Cavaliers were still his favorite. The New York Post's mole—a "person with ties to James"—declared that the Nets are LeBron's top choice. (On Wednesday, the Post got someone to go on the record: "ig-league broker Dolly Lenz" told the tabloid that LeBron "seems to be set" on living in the West Village, meaning he'll surely play for the New York Knicks next season.) ESPN.com's Deep Throat, meanwhile, announced that Miami is "the new frontrunner" to acquire James, who would then play alongside Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh.

To summarize: After months of speculation, all we've learned is that someone in the LeBrontourage loves to screw with sports reporters. OK, I suppose we might also have gleaned—if there's an iota of truth to any of these rumors—that James appears inclined to form a demi-Dream Team with one or two of his Olympic teammates. While such a group would surely become the favorite to win a string of titles, LeBron needs to understand that there's an exception to the maxim that everyone loves a winner: If you win without having to overcome anything, everybody will hate you. That's why, at least from a reputation-management perspective, James should know better than to terraform a franchise that's essentially a trophy-winning contrivance. What would a team stacked with, say, James, Wade, and Bosh have to overcome except a bunch of loser franchises larded with pitiable free-agent leftovers?

The NBA's salary cap makes it nearly impossible to have a team of superstars in their primes. While there's precedent for assembling an all-star roster when you're gambling against old age—see the Barkley-Olajuwon-Drexler and Barkley-Olajuwon-Pippen Rockets, the Bryant-O'Neal-Malone-Payton Lakers, and the Garnett-Allen-Pierce Celtics—there's a narrow set of conditions under which it's doable to bring together the league's best when they're at their best. First, there need to be loads of top-notch free agents. Second, a bunch of teams need to sell off everyone on their rosters who has the ability to play basketball and thus collect a salary. Third, a subgroup of the free-agent stars must agree to populate such a talent-free wasteland, ensuring that a torrent of secondary and tertiary talent will come rushing in to fill the available roster spots. If all of this stuff somehow falls into place, it's hard to imagine that it will all happen again anytime soon. Here come the guaranteed championships.

If it's not advisable, it's at least understandable that James would push for the creation of an indestructible mega-team. So far in his NBA career, he has been hounded by the most treacherous obstacle any basketball player can face: crappy teammates. Some of this is James' own fault. While Danny Ferry was officially Cleveland's GM, the Cavaliers never would have done anything without their superstar's approval. The sorry result: quick-fix trades for Shaquille O'Neal and Antawn Jamison, creaky old-timers who made the Cavs worse.

Especially considering his own complicity in Cleveland's woes, a franchise change won't win James many fans outside of wherever he decides to hang his shingle. Sports tradition holds that a title grabber only wins broad support if he's late in his career. When Ray Bourque won the Stanley Cup with the Colorado Avalanche after 21 years with the Boston Bruins, hockey fans in New England and everywhere else rejoiced. And after Kevin Garnett bashed his bald head against a wall for 12 seasons in Minnesota, no one could begrudge him jumping to join the Celtics.

As a mere 25-year-old, LeBron hasn't yet endured Garnett-ian levels of toil. Changing cities would be a public concession that he couldn't make it happen in Cleveland. Joining Wade and Bosh would be even worse, a tacit admission that he doubts he can make it anywhere. Maybe it's telling that LeBron is a big Yankees fan: The best comparison here is Alex Rodriguez, a guy who gave up trying to be the world's best player and settled on being a member of the world's best roster. After moving to New York, A-Rod finally won his elusive World Series. Everybody still hates him.

LeBron's place in the NBA food chain is already a bit perilous: After this year's NBA Finals, Kobe Bryant was universally reanointed as the game's greatest player. Kobe sits astride the league, because he is basketball's biggest egomaniac. In 2004, Bryant presided over the destruction of the thrice-champion Los Angeles Lakers, transforming a franchise built around himself and Shaquille O'Neal into a one-man show. Having just secured his fifth title—and his second since L.A. traded its stalwart center—Kobe has met his goal: winning "one more [championship] than Shaq."

Of course, the Lakers aren't truly a one-man show—Kobe's team started its current run of titles after expropriating Pau Gasol from the Memphis Grizzlies. LeBron James' legacy, then, will rest on the perception among fans that he's won titles on his own, no matter who his teammates happen to be. A large part of Michael Jordan's legend stems from the fact that he won six titles with Scottie Pippen and a bunch of role players. Magic Johnson, by contrast, is probably underrated because he won all of his titles with loaded Lakers teams.

That's why James' best option is the middle way, something between title-less, sidekick-free isolationism and FDR-esque court packing. Jumping to Chicago or New York is a relatively palatable option—a chance to escape the Bad News Cavs and start over with a better supporting cast. If James and Wade and Bosh decide to build their own insta-champion, they will take home the emptiest titles in NBA history. As they might soon learn, winning a championship is not the same thing as earning one.

^^straight up ego stroking...lol, if lebron is smart he's gonna create a super team with bosh and wade in miami.

^If he cares about his legacy, he won't. He'll do it on his own with ancillary pieces. Did you even read the article?
I guarantee he wants to be the richest athlete but also wants a lasting legacy. If he doesn't stay in Cleveland, I honestly see him going to the Knicks or Nets with a okay second option guy like Boozer. I just don't see him teaming up with two big superstars. It marginalizes his alpha dog role.

If he goes to the Knicks, he better bring a squad with him.

Losing in NY is not an option.

Its all happy go lucky now, but let 2 seaons go by with a couple 2nd round or ECF exits and itll get ugly.

Originally Posted by luxurious24

lol excellent gif, but to me i feel lebron should stay, and the cavs should get bosh, do away with shaq and z, they too old, get a young mobile center to back up varejao, and drop jamison.
PG - Moe
G - Parker
SF - Bron
PF - Bosh
C - Varejao
= Championship
What's Antawn Jamison's contract position? I like him enough - but I think it might be better to get rid of him and get someone younger. Is that even possible without a trade?

Originally Posted by ggarvinXX3

laugh.gif
@ the hate on the Nets

to me we just didnt have the coaching nor the right direction with our team but i think 2010 is gunna be a huge turn around for us w/ or w/o LBJ

......yeah, because all it takes is just one single season to take a 12 win team all season to the playoffs and beyond...*with or without LBJ*.....
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by ClevelandsPrince23

Originally Posted by SHUGES

Originally Posted by Basketballsavant

His BBall camp starts on the 5th and Bucher reported he has informed teams that a decision will be made before then.
That means that he has pretty much already decided where he's going.

The rest of these proceedings are a formality.

Don't y'all think this benefits the Cavs?
I mean.. I find it hard to believe he would say he's leaving then expect to go to his camp and not think he would get !%#* and be razzed on the whole time. 
grin.gif

We shall see though.

I have said this before...I think this is the BEST time for him to bounce if he chooses.  I think we all just need to imagine ourselves as Bron right now.. Would you leave your hometown whom you promised to bring a title too and failed to do so?  Akron is his home, not Cleveland but I think you guys don't understand.  The cities are like 30 minutes away.  I know because I live on Akron's campus, and drive from there to the Q a whole lot during the season  It's not like it's a few hour drive.  They right there.  He leaves he lets Akron down as well.  

All in all...I think in his mind he wants to leave, but in his heart he feels he has to stay.

BUT. If he's all about titles and rings he is a FOOL for not wanting to go to the Chi to play with Bosh & Rose.  MIA with Wade & Bosh or any other scenario.  

He is in a VERY VERY difficult spot. 

NT FAM don't go killin' my dude and my team if he re-signs 
happy.gif

Stopped reading.

lol people from akron thinkin they're cool shouting out they're from akron

where were they before bron entered the league.

did anyone know that akron was in ohio. i mean i didnt know back then.

didn't think it was worth knowing

New York trying to get Bron, JJ & Amare?
Chi-town saying they want an answer tmw before they leave?  
pimp.gif
 on their part.  That's how I would be.

Word they gave deadlines? Expected from that management team. Don't know if it's a smart move. They aint getting Wade and probably not Bosh the way he's tweeting.

Miami still meeting w/LBJ. Going on 2 1/2 hrs plus Riles met w/Bron's agent last night for about 2 hrs. Good sign imo but still long shot

I think Lebron is holding up Wade and Bosh. Wade and Bosh want to see if Lebron will commit to play with them before they announce they are Miami bound. I hope.

Riley still in the meeting with Bron ?

Originally Posted by HANNSUM

lol people from akron thinkin they're cool shouting out they're from akron

where were they before bron entered the league.

did anyone know that akron was in ohio. i mean i didnt know back then.

didn't think it was worth knowing
Why do you always have to come off as such a douche? Seems like every reply I read from you you're being a prick to someone. Most people who represent Akron are most likely youngsters. Lebron came into the league 7 years ago and put that place on the map. I have heard of Akron before he came into the league and I am aware that I am in the minority on that one.

Seriously what are the LAC going to even propose?

laugh.gif
   that he gets to play in a world class arena.

that he gets to look at numerous championship banners of another team that shares that arena.

if he were to go to that cursed graveyard of a team he would deserve whatever negative effects it would have on his career.

Originally Posted by h3at23

AlexKennedyNBA

The Bulls want LeBron to make a decision now. Team is threatening to pull their offer if they don't get an answer by Saturday, says source.

%%+ are the Bulls on with that.  I understand the cirucus gettin old, but damn come on now the man said he would know by Monday
tired.gif

Adding LeBron, I think we have a stronger supporting cast as opposed to the Knicks and Nets.  Bron isn't going to win a title with the Knicks or Nets.  I personally think he should just stay with Cleveland (which I'm pretty confident he'll do).

Nonetheless despite our history, I'm glad Bron actually took the time to listen and consider us
happy.gif

[h1]Chicago pressing for Wade, LeBron partnership[/h1]
wojnarowski.png

By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports 15 minutes ago

Dwyane Wade will meet privately with Chicago Bulls officials for a second time in two days on Friday and is seriously contemplating leaving the Miami Heat to join his hometown team, a league source told Yahoo! Sports.

This could be a significant step in Wade helping to create a blockbuster partnership with LeBron James on the Bulls.

Wade and James have been discussing the possibility of playing together, but the major hurdle to the starry alliance remains James’ reluctance to join Wade in Miami, sources say.

“D-Wade and LeBron want to play together, but neither one wants to commit to each other,

Originally Posted by patent leather

Adding LeBron, I think we have a stronger supporting cast as opposed to the Knicks and Nets.  Bron isn't going to win a title with the Knicks or Nets.  I personally think he should just stay with Cleveland (which I'm pretty confident he'll do).

Nonetheless despite our history, I'm glad Bron actually took the time to listen and consider us
happy.gif
Yeah I hear ya.  

AlexKennedyNBA

The Bulls want LeBron to make a
decision now. Team is threatening to pull their offer if they don't get
an answer by Saturday, says source.

Stupid Bulls, Lebron is getting a max from anywhere else anyway. They need him more than he needs them.

Originally Posted by Informerx

AlexKennedyNBA

The Bulls want LeBron to make a
decision now. Team is threatening to pull their offer if they don't get
an answer by Saturday, says source.

Stupid Bulls, Lebron is getting a max from anywhere else anyway. They need him more than he needs them.
I heard this isn't true at all. There was something posted in the Bulls thread saying this was made by a fake account or something

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom