Official Los Angeles Dodgers Season Thread: NLCS vs Phillies

trans.gif

09/27/2008 9:03 PM ET

Dodgers name three starters for NLDS

Game 1 hurler Lowe to be followed by Billingsley, Kuroda

SAN FRANCISCO -- Derek Lowe, Chad Billingsley and Hiroki Kuroda will pitch Games 1, 2 and 3, respectively, for the Dodgers in next week's best-of-five Division Series, manager Joe Torre announced Saturday.
Lowe was the Game 1 starter for the Dodgers in their 2006 Division Series against the Mets. He allowed four runs and two home runs to Carlos Delgado and Cliff Floyd in 5 1/3 innings, earning a no-decision in the Dodgers' 6-5 loss.

Rookie Clayton Kershaw will pitch out of the bullpen, said Torre, who was non-committal about a Game 4 starter or the role of 42-year-old Greg Maddux, Saturday night's starting pitcher. Asked if Saturday could be Maddux's last start for the Dodgers, Torre said:

"I hope not."

Game 4 could be started by Maddux or by Lowe on three days' rest, although Torre has said he's no fan of bringing back pitchers on short rest in October, which he did with little success while with the Yankees.

"A lot of those decisions are made as the series goes on," said Torre. "We have the option to do that. I'm not sure we're going to do that."

Nor is Torre even sure who the opponent will be, as scenarios still exist for the Dodgers to face the Cubs or Phillies. Regardless, it will be on the road. The Dodgers were 2-5 this year against the Cubs (0-3 at Wrigley Field) and 4-4 against the Phillies (0-4 at Citizens Bank Park).

Torre said he would likely go with an 11-man pitching staff, in part because Takashi Saito hasn't returned to 100 percent health after missing two months with an elbow injury. In that case, the bullpen could include Kershaw, Maddux, Jonathan Broxton, Saito, Cory Wade, Chan Ho Park, Joe Beimel and Scott Proctor.

However, Hong-Chih Kuo could find his way back into the picture. He's pitched only once in three weeks because of triceps tendon discomfort, but Kuo was scheduled to throw an inning Saturday night in a final exam. Kuo had become the setup man to Broxton when Saito was injured.

"He could be in the mix," Torre said of Kuo. "We have to make sure if he's healthy."

The 20-year-old Kershaw was beaming after getting the news that he'd make the postseason staff.

"Just being part of this is the thrill of a lifetime," Kershaw said. "I'll help them any way I can."

Kershaw has been primarily a starter in his brief career, pitching out of the bullpen twice this year while at Double-A Jacksonville. Those were extended appearances for a total of eight innings and the role change didn't seem to bother him any, as he allowed two hits, struck out six with one walk and no runs allowed.

Torre mulling Dodgers' playoff roster

Returns of infielders Kent, Furcal present skipper new options

By Ken Gurnick / MLB.com
http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/ticketing/index.jsp?c_id=la

SAN FRANCISCO -- Manager Joe Torre wasn't ready to announce his postseason roster Saturday, but he dropped some hints.
The recent returns of infielders Rafael Furcal and Jeff Kent have bolstered the talent available, but with the pair apparently on the roster, two other players would be squeezed off. Pinch-hitters Delwyn Young and Mark Sweeney are candidates.

The popular Sweeney has been the primary left-handed pinch-hitter this year, although it's been a tough season for the veteran, who is 12-for-78 pinch-hitting with no homers and five RBIs. The switch-hitting Young is 14-for-48 with no homers and four RBIs.

Initially, Torre was hoping that Furcal and Kent would heal in time to take on bench roles, but he might get even more. Furcal started at shortstop again Saturday, while Kent, who homered Friday night, started at first base. Range on Kent's surgically repaired knee would be less of an issue playing first base than second base, although Torre didn't say if a platoon with James Loney was being considered.

"With Furcal, it's a little more curious than I thought," said Torre. "I didn't envision him playing Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. There are a lot of advantages to having him available.

"Right now, I'm pretty comfortable with what I've seen with Jeff. He's willing himself to do things. It's probably his last year. Raffy, I told him there's nothing worse than jeopardizing the rest of his career. But he looks comfortable. He gave me the thumbs up again today."

Kent coming off the bench as a right-handed pinch-hitter impacts Young. Besides Juan Pierre, there would be no primary left-handed pinch-hitter without Sweeney, but Torre offered his thoughts on that.

"With Nomar Garciaparra and Kent in that role, the lefty-righty wouldn't mean anything," he said.

Because of his versatility, Pablo Ozuna could sneak onto the roster. Ozuna is able to back up in the middle infield and is expected to get a trial in the outfield Saturday or Sunday.

Mariners hint they could hire woman as GM
By GREGG BELL, AP Sports Writer
Sep 26, 10:43 pm EDT

Buzz Up PrintSEATTLE (AP)-Mariners president Chuck Armstrong said his team is vetting a wide range of general manager candidates, pointedly leaving open the possibility of Seattle hiring the first female general manager in major league history.

Highly regarded Los Angeles Dodgers assistant GM Kim Ng is considered an option.

The 39-year-old Ng has had her job for seven seasons and was a top adviser to New York Yankees' GM Brian Cashman before that. She was believed to be the final candidate beaten out by Ned Colletti when Los Angeles selected a new GM in 2005, and the Dodgers say she is the first woman to ever interview for a GM job.
She may be getting a second interview soon.

"It's time for some fresh thinking," Armstrong said at the end of his 23rd season with the team-what he called his worst and most "miserable" one.

"We're color blind, gender blind," he went on to say. "We just want the best person that we think would be the best person for the Mariners as we move forward," Armstrong said.

He and team CEO Howard Lincoln said the replacement for Bill Bavasi, fired June 16, and temporary in-house fill-in Lee Pelekoudas will be an outsider with new ideas to resurrect the franchise.

This week Seattle became the first major league team with a $100 million player payroll to lose 100 games. The Mariners began the season expecting to win the AL West but entered Friday night's game against Oakland at 58-101, their most losses since 1983. They must win one of their final three games to avoid matching their worst season of 104 losses in 1978.

"Inside, we have our own thoughts. But it's good, I think, to go outside and get some fresh views," Armstrong said. "We are looking for a new, fresh perspective and some good leadership."

Okay, SO WHO IS GOING TO MAKE IT OUT THERE TONIGHT?!?!?!?!

I'm pretty #+@# up from last night, that blue moon pumpkin seasonal is too damn tasty
roll.gif

los doyers are going to do the right thing and sweep the cubs in the nlds.

dodger fans im thinkin about gettin tickets for one of the playoff games, do you think theres any chance i could get pavilion tickets for less then $50 eachfrom ebay or a scalper or whatnot.

^No way, I saw some Pavilion Row U go for like $63 each.

The ticket prices are insane, I'm worried I won't be able to catch a game.
frown.gif

My brothers selling some field and loge seats. A lil under stubhub prices. (Last time I checked)
If they play the cubs....I think tix will go higher

I would want to go a game but I'm not too sure about dropping that type of money on the Pavilions. I think I'd rather catch it on my television andhopefully hear Vin call it. Now, for a WS game - that'd be different.

Nomar managing today..
grin.gif

Update: Kuo threw 10 pitches in the bullpen last night, but ended up leaving with Honeycutt.

Kuo had NO pain, but he couldn't feel himself holding the ball. I'm guessing something to do with his nerves.

Well, Joe Torre asked Jeff Kent if he wanted to coach the squad for the final game, and Jeff turned it down.

I mean, dude has a chance to have some fun with the boys and show them that he can play along and have a good time, but nahhhh.

Damn salty +#+ cowboy.

looks like the Dodgers will be playing the Cubbies, provided that the Brewers close it out (up 3-1 in the 9th) and the Mets don't come back.

Little Tim is a MAN on that mound.

Damn, in my opinion, the Cubs are the most complete team out there.

Their starting pitching is better than ours, their bullpen, the lineup, the power.

But, in order to make some noise we gotta get through the best.

I will say this though, seeing the crowd, it sickens me with all of those swapmeet jerseys in the crowds with oblong numbers and incorrect fonts, fake M&NValenzuela jerseys when they didn't even make one for him
smh.gif
smh.gif

and before I say this i'll throw out an NH for security purposes, but...

eek.gif
Bills lower body looks even BIGGER in slacks than his uniform. His tailor better be getting paid thats all i'll say
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom