Official Los Angeles Dodgers Season Thread: NLCS vs Phillies

roll.gif
@ the lack of updating in this damn thread

eek.gif

He's telling Torre to sit Kent's #*$ for the rest of the year.

(Oh yeah, Kent is back in LA getting an MRI)

eek.gif
A victory for once?!
laugh.gif

We have to win tomorrow's game to have a legitamate shot for the rest of September.

Hey Ironma shed some input on your current thoughts of the state of the Dodgers.
I'll be brief, since my modem is fried (Will be replaced on Tuesday,
mad.gif
).

It is not as bad as people say it is, I just think Jeff Kent is a bad apple. I like what Kent brings to the table, but the bottom line is that he is moody andhis locker is close to Manny's (
laugh.gif
), so I could picture him givingthe stone face to anyone that goes to Manny's locker. The young dudes hang out together 'cause they came up together. There are just a lot of cliquesin there, but nothing out of the norm from other clubhouses. Manny loosened up the clubhouse a lot, from what I saw. I will just say, I don't likeKent's presence there, he is a downer. He is a professional I get that, but he is uptight like a mofo. Everyone seems to get along though. I will agreewith Kent, that some of the young guys don't take their position seriously.

I mean, in a way I kind of understand. You are young, you have cash, you are in LA so these guys party. However, when we are in the middle of a pennant race,just pack it up lay low and party when the season is over. There is a reason why some of these guys come out flat during day games,
laugh.gif

I will say this, when it comes to position players the vets don't have a "Let me take you under my wing." attitude and that is verydissapointing. Pitchers are a different story, their cool.

[table][tr][td]Arizona[/td] [td]69[/td] [td]66[/td] [td].511[/td] [td]-[/td] [td]-[/td] [td]4-6[/td] [td]L1[/td] [td]15-21[/td] [td]13-16[/td] [td]35-20[/td] [td]6-9[/td] [td]38-29[/td] [td]31-37[/td] [td]43-49[/td] [td]26-17[/td] [td]4-4[/td] [td]17-18[/td] [td]623[/td] [td]587[/td] [td]71-64[/td] [td] 8/30 v LAD, L 2-6[/td] [td]8/31 v LAD, 8:05P[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Los Angeles[/td] [td]66[/td] [td]70[/td] [td].485[/td] [td]3.5[/td] [td]24[/td] [td]2-8[/td] [td]W1[/td] [td]16-18[/td] [td]20-17[/td] [td]25-25[/td] [td]5-10[/td] [td]39-30[/td] [td]27-40[/td] [td]43-51[/td] [td]23-19[/td] [td]5-9[/td] [td]17-21[/td] [td]557[/td] [td]561[/td] [td]68-68[/td] [td] 8/30 @ ARI, W 6-2[/td] [td]8/31 @ ARI, 8:05P[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Colorado[/td] [td]64[/td] [td]73[/td] [td].467[/td] [td]6.0[/td] [td]21[/td] [td]6-4[/td] [td]L1[/td] [td]15-18[/td] [td]20-16[/td] [td]22-31[/td] [td]7-8[/td] [td]36-30[/td] [td]28-43[/td] [td]42-58[/td] [td]22-15[/td] [td]4-5[/td] [td]21-17[/td] [td]645[/td] [td]701[/td] [td]63-74[/td] [td] 8/30 @ SD, L 4-9[/td] [td]8/31 @ SD, 4:05P[/td] [/tr][tr][td]San Francisco[/td] [td]59[/td] [td]76[/td] [td].437[/td] [td]10.0[/td] [td]18[/td] [td]6-4[/td] [td]L2[/td] [td]19-13[/td] [td]9-27[/td] [td]25-24[/td] [td]6-12[/td] [td]30-39[/td] [td]29-37[/td] [td]45-50[/td] [td]14-26[/td] [td]7-4[/td] [td]26-17[/td] [td]522[/td] [td]630[/td] [td]56-79[/td] [td] 8/30 @ CIN, L 6-7[/td] [td]8/31 @ CIN, 12:35P[/td] [/tr][tr][td]San Diego[/td] [td]52[/td] [td]83[/td] [td].385[/td] [td]17.0[/td] [td]11[/td] [td]4-6[/td] [td]W1[/td] [td]12-16[/td] [td]13-21[/td] [td]24-31[/td] [td]3-15[/td] [td]31-39[/td] [td]21-44[/td] [td]37-51[/td] [td]15-32[/td] [td]5-6[/td] [td]14-25[/td] [td]525[/td] [td]635[/td] [td]56-79[/td] [td] 8/30 v COL, W 9-4[/td] [td]8/31 v COL, 4:05P[/td] [/tr][/table]

NEXT GAME 8/31

TV: ESPN2 | RADIO: KABC 790, KHJ 930

matchup.png

matchup.png

@
Chase Field
5:05PM PDT

Lowe (10-11)

Webb (19-5)

Tickets
Probable Pitchers | Full Schedule

[h2]http://blogs.dailynews.com/dodgers/2008/08/some-other-nonk.html[/h2]
[h2]Some other, non-Kent-related stuff[/h2]
By Tony Jackson on August 30, 2008 7:02 PM | Permalink | Comments (4) | ShareThis

Joe Torre said before the game that although Jason Schmidt is going to make another rehab appearance in the Las Vegas season finale on Monday, he isn't going to pitch for the Dodgers this year. He will rejoin the club after Monday and maybe do some simulated games, or he may pitch some games in the Arizona Instructional League this fall. His velocity was mostly in the high 80s last night against Colorado Springs, when he pitched one inning. ... Andruw Jones is back in Los Angeles seeing Dr. ElAttrache because his leg is still bothering him, but he is expected to rejoin the Dodgers and be activated in time for the homestand opener on Monday against the Pods. ... The list of players the Dodgers plan to activate or call up from the minors on Monday just keeps getting longer. It now includes Jones, Scott Proctor, Chin-lung Hu, A.J. Ellis, Delwyn Young, James McDonald, Eric Stults and Clayton Kershaw. There could be others. ... I talked with DeJon Watson before the game about Greg Miller, and he says the organization is still firmly committed to him. ``Yes, we are still committed to Greg Miller,'' he said. ``We will exhause all our energy to get him back on track and to where he needs to be, with a repeatable delivery that he can sustain.''

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Jeff Kent's career might be over[/h1]
By Tony Jackson on August 30, 2008 4:05 PM | Permalink | Comments (6) | ShareThis
This isn't necessarily a career-ending injury, but given that he probably was going to retire anyway, given that he has been playing with this degenerative tear in the cartilage of his left knee for about a month knowing all the while it could tear more severely at any time (and probably would, eventually, and that appears to be exactly what happened), and given that this is a wear-and-tear injury that is fairly normal for a 40-year-old guy trying to play baseball on an everyday basis for six months, it seems unlikely that he'll return.
``Knowing him, I can't say that for sure,'' Dodgers manager Joe Torre said.
Indeed, Kent is known for his durability, his scrappiness and his willingness to play hurt. But he was said to be in excruciating pain when he came out of the game last night. He is back in Los Angeles now awaiting an MRI that will hopefully be done either tonight or tomorrow -- club officials are trying to find a hospital where it can be done on a holiday weekend. It wouldn't be a huge surprise if Kent tries to play again. But from what I am told, if he does, the same thing is very likely to happen again, only more severely.
There also is a chance the MRI will show nothing other than, again, wear and tear, and Kent can be back out there in a few days. But the fact the pain was severe enough to get him to take a seat has to mean something. Kent generally doesn't take a seat for anything other than the manager giving him a day off.
Unfortunately, it probably means the end of a Hall of Fame career. Torre said Blake DeWitt will get the first crack at the everyday 2B job for the rest of the season. It also is very possible Kent could be placed on the 60-day DL next week to clear a 40-man roster spot for the September roster expansion, because the Dodgers appear to need spots.
Just to clarify, Kent has never said this will be his last season. But it was generally assumed by just about everybody, including Torre.
``I think he was just trying to help us win a pennant,'' Torre said. ``All the hinting seemed to say that this probably was going to be it for him. I really respect what he has done here, and I have been very comfortable with our relationship. He is a pro. I guess that is the only way you can categorize it.''

http://e.photos.cx/****-b7c.gif

[h2]http://blogs.dailynews.com/dodgers/2008/08/schmidt-proctor.html[/h2]
[h2]Schmidt, Proctor updates[/h2]
By Tony Jackson on August 29, 2008 11:28 PM | Permalink | Comments (2) | ShareThis

Jason Schmidt started and threw a scoreless, hitless inning for Las Vegas tonight against Colorado Springs, walking one batter. He'll pitch again on Monday, and I suppose it's possible he'll be activated as a reliever after that, but when I asked Torre before the game, he was non-committal. Scott Proctor followed him and pitched two innings, allowing one hit while striking out four. Proctor is expected to be activated on Monday, the day you can expand rosters. Andruw Jones also is going to be activated that day, and possibly Delwyn Young. ... By the way, when perusing the box score for the pitching lines of Schmidt and Proctor, I couldn't help but notice that Greg Miller had another rough outing. He walked three, gave up three earned runs and allowed only one hit in ZERO innings. A tough stretch for a really good guy. Hope he can find a way to right himself, but this has been going on for a long, long time.

B. Webb going for his 20th win, not tonight buddy
sick.gif
nerd.gif

Andre Ethier smashes a HR, he loves being back at home
smokin.gif

God damnit, now that's how you bring a run home!

Joe needs to let them be more aggressive on the bases, good things happen.

Casey Blake hits it towards the right side and lets Kemp advance to third; then Blake DeWitt got a flyball deep enough for Kemp to score.

B.Webb hasn't been the same since the Padre series, Joe & Jon keep emphasizing on how all his pitches are missing its location, I wouldn't besurprised if the Dodgers add a couple more runs in the next inning or so.

Just be consistant D.Lowe, keep the ball down, trust the defense behind you and lets go back to L.A with 2.5 gms back.

roll.gif

This team never ceases to amaze me, they lose to Doug Davis, but smash on Haren & Webb, go figure.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

this is the Dodgers team I like to see. any coincidence we're playing so well without Kent tonight
nerd.gif

Kent to undergo surgery on left knee

Dodgers hope veteran can return in September as pinch-hitter

By Ken Gurnick / MLB.com
http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/ticketing/index.jsp?c_id=la
PHOENIX -- Second baseman Jeff Kent will undergo arthroscopic surgery on his left knee Tuesday, but the Dodgers actually expect him back before September is over, at least in a pinch-hitting role.
Kent has torn cartilage that is catching in the joint and doctors believe a minimally invasive procedure can clip the damaged portion while allowing the 40-year-old a short recovery time, although he's not likely to be able to play defense.

"From the report I got, we'll see what's in there, but he's not necessarily out," manager Joe Torre said.

Kent estimated he's been playing with torn cartilage for more than a month, but on a quick movement Friday night he felt it catch in the joint and the pain sent him to Los Angeles for an MRI. The club also expects Rafael Furcal to return in September from back surgery.

Although rosters expand Monday, the Dodgers in a procedural move placed Kent on the 15-day disabled list and recalled infielder Chin-lung Hu. Disabling Kent gives the Dodgers added flexibility if and when they make out postseason rosters.

The front office spent part of Sunday trying to make a waiver deal for a middle infielder. The Giants earlier rejected overtures for Omar Vizquel, but another candidate could be Tadahito Iguchi, cut loose by the Padres on Sunday.

Defensively, the club appears hesitant to rely on shortstop Nomar Garciaparra, in part because of his health. Angel Berroa has emerged as a semi-starter at shortstop because of his steady glove and throwing arm, even with a .224 batting average.

At second base, Blake DeWitt started Saturday and Sunday nights, but he's a rookie with limited experience at the position on any level. Casey Blake starts at third base, but he could move to second base if the Dodgers are more comfortable with DeWitt at third.

Torre said he prefers to go with offense over defense, which is why he's played Garciaparra at shortstop since his return from the disabled list, but Garciaparra is 3-for-28 in his last eight games, has gone 13 games without an extra-base hit and he did not start against Brandon Webb on Sunday night because he's 1-for-20 lifetime against the former Cy Young winner. Torre said Garciaparra has played a better shortstop "than I thought he'd do."

According to pe:
James McDonald, Chin-lung Hu, Jason Repko and Eric Stults are on their way to Los Angeles from Class AAA Las Vegas and are expected to be activated tomorrow, with McDonald making the majors for the first time. Clayton Kershaw also left Vegas, and he can be activated on Tuesday for his start, as did Delwyn Young, who will be activated from the disabled list.

There should be a a couple more call-ups later on since Joe Torre said he expected the team to have 35 players soon enough. The names listed above would give the Dodgers 31 players, and Scott Proctor and Andruw Jones make it 33. One other player expected to be called up soon is catcher A.J. Ellis, but he has yet to leave Vegas.

Let's go Cardinals!
nerd.gif

2-0 Cards!
I'll be brief, since my modem is fried (Will be replaced on Tuesday,
mad.gif
).

It is not as bad as people say it is, I just think Jeff Kent is a bad apple. I like what Kent brings to the table, but the bottom line is that he is moody and his locker is close to Manny's (
laugh.gif
), so I could picture him giving the stone face to anyone that goes to Manny's locker. The young dudes hang out together 'cause they came up together. There are just a lot of cliques in there, but nothing out of the norm from other clubhouses. Manny loosened up the clubhouse a lot, from what I saw. I will just say, I don't like Kent's presence there, he is a downer. He is a professional I get that, but he is uptight like a mofo. Everyone seems to get along though. I will agree with Kent, that some of the young guys don't take their position seriously.

I mean, in a way I kind of understand. You are young, you have cash, you are in LA so these guys party. However, when we are in the middle of a pennant race, just pack it up lay low and party when the season is over. There is a reason why some of these guys come out flat during day games,
laugh.gif

I will say this, when it comes to position players the vets don't have a "Let me take you under my wing." attitude and that is very dissapointing. Pitchers are a different story, their cool.
Thanks for the insight Ironman. You have more pull over there than anyone else here, so any information like that is very interesting. I expectwith Kent out with that knee, the team is going to be more loose, the clubhouse will be able to walk around without Kent's sour attitude and just have fun.The players need to stop pressing and those 2 big wins in Arizona will hopefully show in this home stand.

As far as you saying the young kids not taking their position seriously, if I can name drop I'd like to point out players like Matt Kemp for instance. Thedude has all the tools to be very special, but sometimes it seems like his head is somewhere else. A little cocky in his own ability, but you really can'tblame him.

Let's get it!
smokin.gif

Heading out the game tonight!.. can't beat $12 Loge seats..

Code: Peanut in case some of you need it.. believe it works on Infield Reserve and Loge only...

^Have fun at the game, man.

Top of the 4th right now, and the Cards are beating the D'backs 5-2
smokin.gif
. Hopefully, they can help us out even more, because they play 6 more games with each other after today.

Dodgers better take care of business against the Padres this series. No letdowns!

Originally Posted by jrdnkiks213

Heading out the game tonight!.. can't beat $12 Loge seats..

Code: Peanut in case some of you need it.. believe it works on Infield Reserve and Loge only...
I tried for some Loge tickets for Wednesday's game but came up with this:

[h4]There is a problem with your request[/h4]

• The password you entered is not in our system. Please try again.

Back
Top Bottom