Official Los Angeles Dodgers Season Thread: NLCS vs Phillies

Dude shudda been concentrated on Larry Bowa instead of looking back at Chris Young.

Ah well, he might have 1 more at-bat.

Derek Lowe is pitching a gem, its wonders how good he can be if his sinker is on point.

.5 gm back

YOU KNOW WHAT IT IS!!!

FRENCHBLUE BRING THAT BRILLIANT RECORD OF YOURS TO THE RAVINE TOMORROW!
pimp.gif

Great win tonight, pitching and hitting were both phenomenal tonight. Lowe didn't allow a runner past 2nd in 8 innings and Chan Ho looked impressive in the9th striking out 2/3 (his breaking ball looked really good).

Ethier with the 5-5 game and the near cycle.

Let's go out and grab 1st place tomorrow afternoon
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Slayer Carcetti

Ethier with the 5-5 game and the near cycle.

The best part was Ethier in the post game saying, "Yeah I messed up, but all that matters is that we got the WIN!"
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by bright nikes

.5 gm back

YOU KNOW WHAT IT IS!!!

pimp.gif
I ended up going tonight
laugh.gif

What an offensive explosion, and Ethier is the man, he got a standing-O after his 5th hit.

I won't be able to go tomorrow afternoon. My record now is12-2
pimp.gif

I'll be heading out there again September 19, and 25.

Originally Posted by FrenchBlue23

.5 gm back

YOU KNOW WHAT IT IS!!!

pimp.gif
I ended up going tonight
laugh.gif

What an offensive explosion, and Ethier is the man, he got a standing-O after his 5th hit.

I won't be able to go tomorrow afternoon. My record now is12-2
pimp.gif
haha what a big difference from last years records...almost all my wins this year was on the road.. AZ and Frisco(2) .... hahah

Originally Posted by badboyf0life420

haha what a big difference from last years records...almost all my wins this year was on the road.. AZ and Frisco(2) .... hahah
Definitely
laugh.gif

But I did go to more games last year at this point of the season.

Just remembered that Brandon Webb is going for AZ tomorrow afternoon.
sick.gif

Lets hope B.Webb is still shook, ever since he got hit by a line drive vs san diego he hasn't had a quality start since.

But, again this @%+ is going for his 20th win against the dodgers, it would be bittersweet if he didn't get it against us.

I expect Torre to sit Matt Kemp, dude needs a rest.

laugh.gif
frenchblue what happened man, last time we talked u said u didn't get the tickets? you're as bipolar as the dodgers offense WAS - haha justplayin.

Do you stay around L.A? Craigslist has some good deals on field level tix, you can bargain for $25

NEXT GAME 9/6

TV: FOX | RADIO: KABC 790, KHJ 930

matchup.png

matchup.png

@
Dodger Stadium
12:55PM PDT

Webb (19-6)

Billingsley (13-10)

Tickets

Probable Pitchers | Full Schedule

[table][tr][td]West[/td] [td]W[/td] [td]L[/td] [td]PCT[/td] [td]GB[/td] [td]E#[/td] [td]L10[/td] [td]STRK[/td] [td]vs E[/td] [td]vs C[/td] [td]vs W[/td] [td]INT[/td] [td]HOME[/td] [td]ROAD[/td] [td]vs R[/td] [td]vs L[/td] [td]XTRA[/td] [td]1-RUN[/td] [td]RS[/td] [td]RA[/td] [td]X W-L[/td] [td]LAST GAME[/td] [td]NEXT GAME[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Arizona[/td] [td]71[/td] [td]69[/td] [td].507[/td] [td]-[/td] [td]-[/td] [td]3-7[/td] [td]L1[/td] [td]15-21[/td] [td]15-17[/td] [td]35-22[/td] [td]6-9[/td] [td]40-31[/td] [td]31-38[/td] [td]45-52[/td] [td]26-17[/td] [td]4-4[/td] [td]18-18[/td] [td]638[/td] [td]619[/td] [td]72-68[/td] [td] 9/5 @ LAD, L 0-7[/td] [td]9/6 @ LAD, 3:55P[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Los Angeles[/td] [td]71[/td] [td]70[/td] [td].504[/td] [td]0.5[/td] [td]22[/td] [td]6-4[/td] [td]W6[/td] [td]16-18[/td] [td]20-17[/td] [td]30-25[/td] [td]5-10[/td] [td]43-30[/td] [td]28-40[/td] [td]47-51[/td] [td]24-19[/td] [td]5-9[/td] [td]17-21[/td] [td]591[/td] [td]572[/td] [td]73-68[/td] [td] 9/5 v ARI, W 7-0[/td] [td]9/6 v ARI, 3:55P[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Colorado[/td] [td]67[/td] [td]75[/td] [td].472[/td] [td]5.0[/td] [td]17[/td] [td]6-4[/td] [td]W1[/td] [td]15-18[/td] [td]21-16[/td] [td]24-33[/td] [td]7-8[/td] [td]39-31[/td] [td]28-44[/td] [td]44-59[/td] [td]23-16[/td] [td]5-5[/td] [td]22-18[/td] [td]663[/td] [td]720[/td] [td]66-76[/td] [td] 9/5 v HOU, W 5-3[/td] [td]9/6 v HOU, 8:05P[/td] [/tr][tr][td]San Francisco[/td] [td]60[/td] [td]80[/td] [td].429[/td] [td]11.0[/td] [td]12[/td] [td]2-8[/td] [td]L1[/td] [td]19-13[/td] [td]9-29[/td] [td]26-26[/td] [td]6-12[/td] [td]30-40[/td] [td]30-40[/td] [td]46-52[/td] [td]14-28[/td] [td]7-5[/td] [td]26-18[/td] [td]539[/td] [td]658[/td] [td]57-83[/td] [td] 9/5 v PIT, L 0-7[/td] [td]9/6 v PIT, 9:05P[/td] [/tr][tr][td]San Diego[/td] [td]54[/td] [td]87[/td] [td].383[/td] [td]17.5[/td] [td]5[/td] [td]5-5[/td] [td]L1[/td] [td]12-16[/td] [td]14-22[/td] [td]25-34[/td] [td]3-15[/td] [td]32-39[/td] [td]22-48[/td] [td]38-53[/td] [td]16-34[/td] [td]5-7[/td] [td]15-26[/td] [td]544[/td] [td]660[/td] [td]58-83[/td] [td] 9/5 @ MIL, L 2-3[/td] [td]9/6 @ MIL, 7:05P[/td] [/tr][/table]

Torre would 'love' to have Manny back

LOS ANGELES -- Just more than a month into his stay in Hollywood, Manny Ramirez's tenure as a Dodger has gone as scripted, with Ramirez producing big numbers at the plate and keeping a sometimes tense clubhouse loose.

But there's no guarantee Ramirez will stay past the 2008 season -- or, even if he does, that he will remain such a happy camper if he does not receive the type of monstrous contract he's hoping for.

"He seems to like it here," Dodgers manager Joe Torre said. "As far as staying, it's up to him. He's got to do the best for his family. I'd love to have him back only if he's as happy as he seems to be."

Torre noted the American League gives him "the extra vehicle" of being able to play designated hitter every so often, but thus far Ramirez's reputation for spotty defense has not been an issue, Torre said.

As for loosening up the clubhouse, Ramirez does that by talking about Gold Gloves when he comes in after making a nice catch and by starting a wild celebration with his teammates when he returns to the dugout after smashing a home run.

"Even though they're young kids and they have some talent, I think they put a lot of pressure on themselves, and I think Manny's helped them deal with that pressure," Torre said. "He's showing these young guys how to have fun in this game."

Ramirez also makes it a point to stop by many of his teammates' lockers before the games just to talk, sometimes even reporting back to Torre what's going on with his players.

"He's a lot deeper than people thought he would be, his feel for the game," Torre said. "He's very sensitive to other players' needs. Players seem to gravitate to him. It's been very satisfying to me having him here."

And then there's his bat, the main reason he was brought to Los Angeles and why Dodgers management would want to keep him.

He's hit .407 with 10 homers and 29 RBIs in 32 games and has been at his best against the first-place D-backs, hitting .696 (14-for-23) with four homers, four doubles, four walks, seven RBIs, 11 runs, a .747 on-base percentage and a 1.391 slugging percentage in six games against Arizona entering this weekend's series.

"Obviously, he's the guy you focus on more than anyone else in the lineup," D-backs manager Bob Melvin said.

Vin Scully back for 2009!

LOS ANGELES -- Hall of Fame broadcaster Vin Scully said Friday he will return to the Dodgers for a 60th season at the microphone in 2009.

Scully, whose current three-year contract runs through 2008, said he decided to return after receiving clearance from his wife, Sandra.

"When you're on the road as much as we are, it's the loneliness of your wife that you consider," Scully, 80, said. "But she said, 'It's been such a part of my life for so long, you might as well do it if you want to do it.' And I still enjoy it. I still feel like I'm happy to be here, I still get goosebumps with an exciting play. So, I told Frank [McCourt, club chairman] that I'll try it for another year."

Scully said he will continue with the same broadcasting workload -- calling virtually all home games, plus road games as far east as Colorado. He said he made no commitment beyond 2009.

"When I think of what has happened in my life, the only feeling I have is gratitude and thankfulness," Scully said. "God has been good to me, allowing me at such a young age to start this job and allowing me to do it all these years. I'm overwhelmed, because I really don't do anything but talk about the accomplishments of others."

Yet, there is no other with the accomplishments of Scully.

The Dodgers are currently celebrating 50 years in Los Angeles and Scully has been the voice and the face of the organization since it arrived. He joined Red Barber and Connie Desmond on the Brooklyn Dodgers broadcast team in 1950, one year after graduating from Fordham University. In 1982, Scully was inducted into the broadcaster's wing of Baseball's Hall of Fame as winner of the Ford C. Frick Award and also had his star placed on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. In 2001, the Dodger Stadium press box was named in Scully's honor.

Throughout his prestigious broadcasting career, Scully has received numerous awards, including being named the California Sports Broadcaster of the Year 29 times by the National Sportswriters & Sportscasters Association, and in 2000 was voted as the "Sportscaster of the 20th Century," by more than 500 national members of the American Sportscasters Association.

According to the National Baseball Hall of Fame, his years of service are believed to be the longest tenure of any broadcaster in sports history.

Scully has been behind the microphone for some of baseball's greatest moments, including Don Larsen's perfect game in 1956 and Sandy Koufax's in 1965, Hank Aaron's 715th career home run, the scoreless innings streaks of Orel Hershiser and Don Drysdale, Barry Bonds' record-breaking 71st, 72nd and 73rd home runs in 2001 and all six Dodgers World Series championships.

In 1976, Scully was voted by Dodgers fans as the most memorable personality in Los Angeles Dodgers history.

Saito and Penny could return next weekend

LOS ANGELES -- Closer Takashi Saito and Opening Day starter Brad Penny could be game-ready for the Dodgers by next weekend.
Saito came out of a Thursday bullpen session fine and is scheduled to face hitters for the first time either after Saturday's day game against Arizona or before Sunday's game. He will make the trip to San Diego and manager Joe Torre said he might be available by next weekend's series in Colorado.

Saito has been out since July 13 with a tear in his elbow ligament and appears to have successfully recovered without surgery.

Penny has been shelved twice this season with shoulder problems. He had an extensive bullpen session Friday, threw all of his pitches and reported no problems. He also will make the trip and might face hitters as soon as Monday in San Diego.

"Penny is a day or two behind Saito, but they both seem to be doing extremely good," pitching coach Rick Honeycutt said. "Penny's arm slot is consistent and the ball is coming out of his hand extremely nice. And he feels he's throwing only 70 percent."

Honeycutt said it hasn't been determined if Penny will return as a starter or reliever. It would be difficult for him to build arm strength to pitch deep into a game as a starter and Greg Maddux was acquired to fill his spot in the rotation. Using Penny out of the bullpen is still a possibility.

"As long as we continue to see progression and see that he feels good and has confidence and is healthy, we've got flexibility," Honeycutt said. "Right now, it's too early to tell."

Shortstop Rafael Furcal was expected to rejoin the club after rehabilitating from back surgery in Arizona, but Torre said it wasn't clear when Furcal would be seen in game action.

"He's been gone so long, he's rehabbed a number of times. We just have to see how he feels," Torre said. "Stan [Conte, trainer] went to Arizona [Wednesday] to watch him go through workouts and he handled it all. We have to look from the mental side. It has to be tough for him to say he trusts this thing. Physically he seems to be all right."

Torre said Jeff Kent continues to report significant improvement after his Tuesday knee surgery. Kent will accompany the club on its three-city trip beginning Monday in San Diego, but Torre said it was still too soon to tell whether Kent will return this season, even for pinch-hitting.

"We'll see how far he comes," Torre said. "I don't think he even knows that. Give him a week or so and see where he's at."

Juan Pierre, who left Tuesday night's game with back spasms, was back at full strength, according to Torre.

We've been on a good winning streak every since I've been doing all this, and I ain't gonna stop
nerd.gif
smokin.gif

great win last night.
my stupid DVR messed up but I did see Etjier's HR in the 1st.
as far as Vin goes, the guy is a legend.
Next to my parents and immediate family members, he's my most recognizable voice.
I've been hearing him for 32 years!!
it will be a sad, sad day when he doesn't broadcast Dodger games anymore.

-J-

Lets hope B.Webb is still shook, ever since he got hit by a line drive vs san diego he hasn't had a quality start since.

But, again this @%+ is going for his 20th win against the dodgers, it would be bittersweet if he didn't get it against us.

I expect Torre to sit Matt Kemp, dude needs a rest.

laugh.gif
frenchblue what happened man, last time we talked u said u didn't get the tickets? you're as bipolar as the dodgers offense WAS - haha just playin.

Do you stay around L.A? Craigslist has some good deals on field level tix, you can bargain for $25
Spontaneity is my middle name.... Me and my girl are the exact same way, we drive ourselves nuts
laugh.gif

I'm in the SF Valley, I have homework to finish up this weekend, or else I would probably go to all 3 games this series.
ohwell.gif

Anyone purchase an Authentic jersey this year? Looking into buying one before the season is over, but these players come and go when you least expect it, Iwas thinking of getting a Kemp or Martin.

my brother just got a martin jersey.

dodgers really need this one tonight. !%+$ brandon webb.

hopefully saito comes back healthy and broxton can stop suckin balls

FIRST PLACE
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

another great pitching performance from Billingsley and the offense came through once again. A sweep tomorrow would be HUGE not just in terms of the standingsbut hopefully it'll leave the D'Backs in a position they can't recover from.

on another note, I just realized the Rockies are only 5 back...can't count them out yet, especially after what they did last year at the end of the season.

Great to hear Vin will be back for at least another year, I really hope we can win another World Series before he retires.

Back
Top Bottom