**Official Lupe Fiasco Thread** (LASERS March 8, 2011 // Friend of The People Coming Soon)

Originally Posted by Just bLAzed

Originally Posted by bence23

Stop stanning. This song SUCKS. The last good song he had was I'm beaming. Everything since then has been cheeks. (and i'm a HUGE fan). 

Lu stans are as annoying as nas stans at this point.

This whole alex da kid formula is buns too. Sick of these emo evanscense sounding girl hooks over **@#*# beats.

how do you know people are stans?
what if they just really like the song?
your opinion is your opinion. no one is telling you to like the song, so stop trying to discourage people from liking the song.
Co-sign.
Bence, you obviously have something going on in your life thats causing you a lot of disturbance...because it makes no sense for someone to be that angry about people enjoying a song. Calm your %%% down my dude. If you dont like it then dont listen...let us live.

This song is going to go under the radar folks.......the average person isnt going to hear this and say, hes spitting that REAL stuff...unfortunately....

the lyrics are on point tho
pimp.gif

Yea...I dont see how people saying this is average, or they aint feeling it. He may not be rapping circles but he is Saying something

Song is cool, I can do without the girl wailing on the hook though. Replace her with Nikki Jean/Sarah Green or Matthew Santos and I'd like it much better

Originally Posted by bence23

Stop stanning. This song SUCKS. The last good song he had was I'm beaming. Everything since then has been cheeks. (and i'm a HUGE fan). 

Lu stans are as annoying as nas stans at this point.

This whole alex da kid formula is buns too. Sick of these emo evanscense sounding girl hooks over **@#*# beats.

listen to music more and you'd realize she is singing an interpolation of Karma Police by Radiohead.

In my opinion

Lyrics: On Point

Chorus: On Point

Beat: Appropriate for the mood of the song.

This is a dangerous choice for the 2nd single for the CD but I like that. I thought he had gone wacky with the 1st single but this is back on track.

Also, can somebody please explain their opinion why the song sucks? A healthy discussion without blanket statements would be nice.

Originally Posted by Noskey

Damn Lupe just ethered the state of the entire modern Western world. Thank #+%$*+! God someone has the balls to do that 
pimp.gif
Shame most people arent gonna hear him or care about it
30t6p3b.gif

This song just got me hella hyped for this new album.
This. And Exactly that.
its a great #%$# song....personally I would feel embarrassed to reduce the song to just being another record where i can say how i dont like the beat or the girl singing, or whatever else....

not saying that folks stating he should have gone away from the alex da kid formula are wrong.....but with the lyrics and message of the song, Lupe has my forgiveness for doing so.

Lyrics alone, this song > Power, Gorgeous, or any other song Kanye was attempting spit sumtin worth while on. 

thus my point is proven. give people a psuedo-choice in the guise of a movement, watch them +#$! their pants in excitement and let the executives roll in the dough.

Originally Posted by Noskey

Damn Lupe just ethered the state of the entire modern Western world. Thank #+%$*+! God someone has the balls to do that 
pimp.gif
Shame most people arent gonna hear him or care about it
30t6p3b.gif

This song just got me hella hyped for this new album.

This song is ill. I loved the fact that he openly admitted to not voting for Obama.
laugh.gif

Lu gets the utmost respect from me.
pimp.gif

song is fire....but people wont bother to listen to it because it makes them think and it challenges what theyre brainwashed to believe. theyd rather here stupid %+@$ about love or *%$!#*+...

Lu gets the utmost respect from me.
pimp.gif

Love the song, even though I think the chorus could have been done better.
I don't see the song being a commercial hit, but I hope I am wrong.

Hard to take this song as a song. I feel like some one is reading me a book. It's more like an excellent speech.

Musically I agree chorus is so-so the beat is do-able. But I can't say this song is anywhere near bad Lu getting some things off his chest.

"And that's why I ain't vote for him" wow

What is Lupe saying about Israel in this song? Lyrics go as following....

Jihad is not a holy war, wheres that in the worship?
Murdering is not Islam!
And you are not observant
And you are not a muslim
Israel don’t take my side cause look how far you’ve pushed them

Originally Posted by ExtRaOrDinaRy SwAg

usainboltisfast wrote:

This song sounds like it should of been on Recovery...
EX-FREAKING-ACTLY

please don't fall into this niche Lupe, stick with your OWN formula PLEASE

Yeah, its kind of like another version of Dr. Dre's "I need a Doctor"

eyes.gif

*Kanye Shrug*

Originally Posted by philly5fan

"If you turn on the TV... all you sees a bunch of what the fs... dude is dating so and so... blabbering bout such and such/ and that aint Jersey Shore... homie its the news... and these the same people supposedly telling us the truth" Lupe is back!!"

"Pills with million side effects, take em when the pains felt... wash it down with diet soda.. killin off ya brain cells.... crooked banks around the world would gladly give a loan today, so if you miss a payment they can take ya home away"

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Lupe is back!!! No wonder why they were blackballing this dude
30t6p3b.gif
sick.gif
30t6p3b.gif
pimp.gif

laugh.gif
Lyrics Utilized Perfectly Everytime

I guess the chick singing is really over bearing to them...Ive played the songs a 6 or 7 times now and his lyrics have not allowed me to pay attention to the chorus or dwell on it...

"Im beaming", "show goes on" didnt chart...neither will this, if it does itll be way under radar of the urban audience.....I like all 3 songs tho

So, here's my review "the morning after":

I still don't see how you guys are calling this a great song; I just don't see it. The whole musical style of it (the girl on the chorus, the beat, all of it) was completely played out already; I expect Lupe to be bringing new +%!!, not copying the style of the best selling album of the year prior. "I'm beaming" was a REAL Lupe track IMO, "The Show Goes On" and this song really don't scream Lupe to me.

I do see how he could drop this thinking it could get a lot of play commercially (which I still dont think I will), and it was a way to get out all his messages in one song, clear and concise. However, this isn't Eminem & Rihanna talking about relationships, this is Lupe Fiasco (a typically non-commercial rapper) and Skylar Grey (who makes the average person say "who?") making a song about politcal & economic controversies. This song won't really resonate with the average radio listener, and it definitely won't be getting radio play for long (if at all).

As far as the lyrical content goes, it really just seems like a speech, Lupe just getting +%!! off his back that he's wish he would've said already. I just don't think he did it in a very "Lupe" way. What happened to the "Daydreaming" or "Streets are On Fire" extended metaphors about social/political/economic problems. I feel like he really took the easy way out lyrically, and is just saying stuff so he gets people talking. I don't think I've ever heard Lupe drop this many names on a track before (Obama, Limbaugh, Beck, Jersey Shore).

I do understand WHY he'd go about a song like this, it just doesn't have the same feel as a F&L or TC track, so I'm really just not vibing with it. I think he really went the "straight-forward" lyrical route because these are really things that he wanted to say, not something he really wanted to make a song about. It came off, to me, as a non-conscious rapper's way of making a conscious hit record, and I think Lupe could have done better.

Back
Top Bottom