**Official Lupe Fiasco Thread** (LASERS March 8, 2011 // Friend of The People Coming Soon)

I've been through the album about three times now...

i don't love it but i dont hate it either. It certainly isn't on the level of his previous albums but there are a few gems.

I love Never Forget You, The Show Goes On, and Till I Get There.

But other than that, there's not a whole lot of replay value... pretty disappointing

AGREED. 
tired.gif

Ok so i picked the album up yesterday.....#@* is this???
"We want substance in the place of popularity"  What??? Then why are we listening to this trash??
I feel like Letting Go as the first track is him telling everyone...I don't care about this album...my motivation is gone.

Tracks I like: Letting Go, Words I Never Said, Show Goes on, Beautiful lasers, All black everything,
So 5 of 12 i liked...the rest are just ok to me.  I don't see how anyone can like Till I get there that chorus makes me want to kill myself.

By todays rap standards its a solid album.  I'd give it a 5/10.  But like everyone said if you added I'm Beaming, Shinedown, and Go To Sleep and kicked out 3 of the crap songs then album is 10x better.  As a Lupe fan i feel slighted.  I am happy to see dude getting shine but I wish he was getting shine for what he does (deep lyrical metaphors, brilliant word play etc) not this. 

Just something to remember to everyone complaining about the sound & substance...

You can almost gurantee Lupe didn't want to make an album like this at 1st... That's part of the reason why it didn't come out. Than everyone started complaining, requesting, fighting, for a release. He had no choice to do it... If he didn't agree to Atlantic than there wouldn't be an album. There was no middle ground here... It was either it releases how they want it, or he can hold his ground & it sits on a table for another 2 years & everyone will keep complaining why its not coming out.

got it, lisitened to it....I'm disappointed. I dont know why Lupe agreed to put out such a badly produced LP. Lyrics are okay, so is the flow, although I think those even those arent comparable to FandL or the Cool. But the hooks and the beats are bad. No wonder Lupe doesnt like it. But Im surprised he didnt decide not to release anything or move to another label...
but I'm a fan and there'll be a few songs on repeat.

Originally Posted by AIRJORDAN JB23

Just something to remember to everyone complaining about the sound & substance...

You can almost gurantee Lupe didn't want to make an album like this at 1st... That's part of the reason why it didn't come out. Than everyone started complaining, requesting, fighting, for a release. He had no choice to do it... If he didn't agree to Atlantic than there wouldn't be an album. There was no middle ground here... It was either it releases how they want it, or he can hold his ground & it sits on a table for another 2 years & everyone will keep complaining why its not coming out.
While the album's sound and substance are indeed utterly disappointing I agree that he was stuck inbetween a rock & a hard place and didn't have much of a choice but to realistically cave into Atlantic's requests.

Even with all this negative feedback and controversy,it's still on track to debut at number 1 on the Billboard charts with a projected 220-240k in sales which would be Lupes best first week sales of his career 
eek.gif

Originally Posted by Rolaholic

Even with all this negative feedback and controversy,it's still on track to debut at number 1 on the Billboard charts with a projected 220-240k in sales which would be Lupes best first week sales of his career 
eek.gif

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
 Atlantic won
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by FullMetal

eek.gif

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
 Atlantic won
30t6p3b.gif
Hits Daily Double is fairly accurate as well (in a general sense based off of first day sales). Perhaps this will give Lupe a little more breathing room to do what he wants on his next album? In other words, in the long term this whole Lasers thing could turn out to be a positive.

The Chicago-born rapper—real name Wasalu Muhammad Jaco—arrives with his third Atlantic Records studio album, Lasers, which will debut at #1 next week with between 220-240k in sales, the second biggest of the year next to Adele and the best start of his career.

Lupe Fiasco’s Food & Liquor, his Grammy-winning 2006 debut, bowed at #8 with 81k sold, and went on to sell 350k. His second album, the multi-Grammy-nominated Lupe Fiasco’s Cool, debuted at #15 in Dec., 2007, selling 143k, going on to a total of more than 500k.

The thing is the numbers have little to do with Atlantic or their formula.

#'s are up simply because of the anticipation.

eek.gif

wow...props to Lupe man...i aint buy the album but im def supportin on an overpriced ticket for jazz fest in NOLA dis May
pimp.gif
30t6p3b.gif

just wanna add its funny how that "Lupe even hates his on album" line just spreads and spreads like he really said it in the context u guys are throwing it around

did yall not read what he actually said, or are yall just using that as your point to validate that the album is a disappointment? just asking

Originally Posted by JD161616

Originally Posted by FullMetal

eek.gif

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
 Atlantic won
30t6p3b.gif
Hits Daily Double is fairly accurate as well (in a general sense based off of first day sales). Perhaps this will give Lupe a little more breathing room to do what he wants on his next album? In other words, in the long term this whole Lasers thing could turn out to be a positive.

The Chicago-born rapper—real name Wasalu Muhammad Jaco—arrives with his third Atlantic Records studio album, Lasers, which will debut at #1 next week with between 220-240k in sales, the second biggest of the year next to Adele and the best start of his career.

Lupe Fiasco’s Food & Liquor, his Grammy-winning 2006 debut, bowed at #8 with 81k sold, and went on to sell 350k. His second album, the multi-Grammy-nominated Lupe Fiasco’s Cool, debuted at #15 in Dec., 2007, selling 143k, going on to a total of more than 500k.
I actually think it will have the opposite affect and Atlantic will become even more controlling with his future albums because they can say "see we know what sells." I hope that I am wrong though and he gets more creative control once again.

Alright after listening to the album roughly 20-25 times since it leaked it grew on me.

Its definitely no Food & Liquor or The Cool but its not that bad. Its the only album i listen to when im at the gym plus its pretty smooth.

The thing about this album that really throws me off is that they got random people on the hook of every song. I have never heard of half these people on the hooks. And it's with every single song.

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

The thing is the numbers have little to do with Atlantic or their formula.

#'s are up simply because of the anticipation.

not even anticipation really

most fans are prolly buying it with the understanding that if they don't, they may never hear from lupe again

I've been a Lupe fan for years and I just can't support this album. I bought F&L and The Cool but this just doesn't seem like it deserves my money. Looks like I'll have to wait until the next album. My money will be going to Curren$y's new album.

Back
Top Bottom