**Official Lupe Fiasco Thread** (LASERS March 8, 2011 // Friend of The People Coming Soon)

IDC what people think, this is a dope song. Its straight to the point.

Remember when he said the studio was force feeding hooks to him? I definitely seems like they gave him that hook, and had in mind a love type song. And he came up with this.

I love it. The third verse is
eek.gif
pimp.gif

pimp.gif

Originally Posted by WearinTheFourFive

So, here's my review "the morning after":

I still don't see how you guys are calling this a great song; I just don't see it. The whole musical style of it (the girl on the chorus, the beat, all of it) was completely played out already; I expect Lupe to be bringing new +%!!, not copying the style of the best selling album of the year prior. "I'm beaming" was a REAL Lupe track IMO, "The Show Goes On" and this song really don't scream Lupe to me.

I do see how he could drop this thinking it could get a lot of play commercially (which I still dont think I will), and it was a way to get out all his messages in one song, clear and concise. However, this isn't Eminem & Rihanna talking about relationships, this is Lupe Fiasco (a typically non-commercial rapper) and Skylar Grey (who makes the average person say "who?") making a song about politcal & economic controversies. This song won't really resonate with the average radio listener, and it definitely won't be getting radio play for long (if at all).

As far as the lyrical content goes, it really just seems like a speech, Lupe just getting +%!! off his back that he's wish he would've said already. I just don't think he did it in a very "Lupe" way. What happened to the "Daydreaming" or "Streets are On Fire" extended metaphors about social/political/economic problems. I feel like he really took the easy way out lyrically, and is just saying stuff so he gets people talking. I don't think I've ever heard Lupe drop this many names on a track before (Obama, Limbaugh, Beck, Jersey Shore).

I do understand WHY he'd go about a song like this, it just doesn't have the same feel as a F&L or TC track, so I'm really just not vibing with it. I think he really went the "straight-forward" lyrical route because these are really things that he wanted to say, not something he really wanted to make a song about. It came off, to me, as a non-conscious rapper's way of making a conscious hit record, and I think Lupe could have done better.

Couldn't have said it better myself

I feel like he's being forced to use this formulaic route for this album (although I hope the rest of it ain't this way) by the label. And that is obvious as hell with this song and "The Show Goes On". Lyrically of course we all know it's on point, I never denied that. But to quote our favorite poster TIME "Lyrics aren't everything", I'm a bigger fan of the storytelling/thematic Lupe from F&L and The Cool.

why is %#%@%@ on here talkin about that F&L/The Cool feel???

that was years ago, dude is on to new things

yall probably still waiting for Nas for comeback with another Illmatic and Jay another RD

this song is mad ill...

I'm not saying I want the exact same album again, what I'm saying is I want the change in music to be progressive, not regressive. Lupe has made such amazing storytelling/deep tracks with such great subject matter that just seems like the cheap way out, and this song isn't the same quality of musical genius we've seen from basically everything else he's put out in his catalog.

Originally Posted by bence23

Stop stanning. This song SUCKS. The last good song he had was I'm beaming. Everything since then has been cheeks. (and i'm a HUGE fan). 

Lu stans are as annoying as nas stans at this point.

This whole alex da kid formula is buns too. Sick of these emo evanscense sounding girl hooks over **@#*# beats.
I agree, beat is trash and the hook is trash. I do really like the lyrics though
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by PJ and Bompton

Originally Posted by bence23

Stop stanning. This song SUCKS. The last good song he had was I'm beaming. Everything since then has been cheeks. (and i'm a HUGE fan). 

Lu stans are as annoying as nas stans at this point.

This whole alex da kid formula is buns too. Sick of these emo evanscense sounding girl hooks over **@#*# beats.

listen to music more and you'd realize she is singing an interpolation of Karma Police by Radiohead.

It's the same @*%$@@%% formula the producer has been using since B.o.b. blew up with that POP song. And the bs pop songs on eminem's last 2 albums..its trash.

And to the other dudes lupe does have stans. No matter how weak it is they'll still reply with : 
pimp.gif
sick.gif
eek.gif

I call a spade a spade

The song aint weak tho....and you really expecting him to go about telling detailed stories on a SINGLE.

IMO he is 2 for 2 with this and show goes on

I guess you could say it sounds like a great speech(what?
laugh.gif
) ...Guess Joe budden Mood Muzik series should be called Diary stories.

Do you guys fail to realize he IS still on a major label and this is a single...of course its going to have the format of HIT songs on the radio

if not you guys would be in here saying "mannn this is dope and exactly what I wanted but this wont work for a single"

Just cause it sound like whats out dont make it not good. The message in the song was just great. plus as far as lyrics, hook, beat... Everything fits together.

But I guess thats just me lol. Im a stan now!

I think it's dope. 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Don't know what people expect from a single, you think his labels gonna let him drop singles like "He Say She Say" and +$*+ like that? 
laugh.gif

His labels been screwing him over with this album for a while now, they're forcing him to drop singles like this and his lyrics on his singles are still better than 95% of any rappers albums. 

You dudes are never satisfied I swear. 
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by DoItAllPaul

What is Lupe saying about Israel in this song? Lyrics go as following....

Jihad is not a holy war, wheres that in the worship?

Murdering is not Islam!

And you are not observant

And you are not a muslim

Israel don’t take my side cause look how far you’ve pushed them

Hes condemning false Muslims for using religion as a crutch to provoke violence and because of this people (Israel and others) have this misconception of Islam. Thus, theyll never take his side in seeing fundamentally Islam is a peaceful, tolerant religion.

The lyrics are potent and I really like them but the song isn't that good. Hook and beat are tired, sub-par even. Real simple, nothing special to it where it'd get a lot of spins from me. That damn promo vid for this song fooled me. Expected something else. If this was an album cut it'd just be okay/pretty good.

I'm really shocked this was the 2nd single. In terms of singles this isn't good. Won't get a buzz for ppl to actually buy the album.

Hope the acapellas are released and some producer does these lyrics justice.

Originally Posted by LuigiTheKing

I think it's dope. 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Don't know what people expect from a single, you think his labels gonna let him drop singles like "He Say She Say" and +$*+ like that? 
laugh.gif

His labels been screwing him over with this album for a while now, they're forcing him to drop singles like this and his lyrics on his singles are still better than 95% of any rappers albums. 

You dudes are never satisfied I swear. 
30t6p3b.gif

Word

I really like the song. Everything about it. But you gotta do what you gotta do to get radio play unfortunately.

I think what you guys fail to realize that this is ONE song off the album. Dudes on hear sounding like the whole album is gunna sound like that. Its a song for the radio. Relax. It sounds that way for a reason.

some of ya'll actin like "American Terrorist" and "Hurt Me Soul" ain't the same style as this.

all of this "This isn't real Lupe/he's tryin too hard" talk.

couldn't resist listening... I wanted to hold out until the album came out, but all these guys quoting lyrics had me going crazy.

NO LISTENING MORE UNTIL ALBUM DROPS

I think that all the silence is worse than all the violence

Then speak your mind and VOTE! Change the world, speak up.....What he scared of? It like dude really talking about himself. 

He scared? if not then

The whole thing is hypocritical and don't get me wrong i'm a fan of dude but this is just @*!%$!*# on his part 

you either part of the problem or part of the solution. Talking a big game but when push comes to shove all it is talk if you dont act on it

I mean it its like me telling dude to quit doing drugs with a needle in my arm. He gonna say we need to do something but he didn't even vote

Maybe he feels disenfranchised but then why say "you believe in the people"

2 cents is all 

New track is pretty hot. Beat sounds like it's been "done before", but lyrics are on point. Lupe coming back hard.
pimp.gif

Am I missing something?, did he say that he didn't vote? And would u vote for someone if u didn't support them, idk, mayb I'm trippin, but I would have to say lupe is not part of the problem, only part I don't agree with is the part about 9/11 , other than that thumbs up

Originally Posted by King Arthur

Then speak your mind and VOTE! Change the world, speak up.....What he scared of? It like dude really talking about himself. 

He scared? if not then

The whole thing is hypocritical and don't get me wrong i'm a fan of dude but this is just @*!%$!*# on his part 

you either part of the problem or part of the solution. Talking a big game but when push comes to shove all it is talk if you dont act on it

I mean it its like me telling dude to quit doing drugs with a needle in my arm. He gonna say we need to do something but he didn't even vote

2 cents is all  

what good is voting if neither of the opponents are good enough to carry the country...
that, aside from the fact that your vote doesn't even really count

Originally Posted by Epidemik The Great

He scared? if not then

2 cents is all  
what good is voting if neither of the opponents are good enough to carry the country...

You like Lupe in his song are just saying $+$* without any justification
do tell what you mean exactly when you say peoples votes don't really count?

and to answer your first question the good in voting comes from the process. If you don't vote then what reason does any politician good or bad have to listen to you? You vote because it is your duty as a citizen, but saving that happy horse $+$*, you vote so when you walk into a room you can say I made myself count just like everyone else and you politicians are beholden to and need to listen to me.   

Originally Posted by Epidemik The Great

He scared? if not then

2 cents is all  

You like Lupe in his song are just saying %%$# without any justification
do tell what you mean exactly when you say peoples votes don't really count?

and to answer your first question the good in voting comes from the process. If you don't vote then what reason does any politician good or bad have to listen to you? You vote because it is your duty as a citizen, but saving that happy horse %%$#, you vote so when you walk into a room you can say I made myself count just like everyone else and you politicians are beholden to and need to listen to me. 

Back
Top Bottom