Official Memphis Grizzlies 2011-2012 Season Thread

He ran full-court sprints.

He caught a basketball and hoisted it in the hoop from midrange.

Then, Zach Randolph took a seat. Handlers carefully wrapped his knees in ice. The Grizzlies' dynamic power forward had done all he was cleared to do. It was all non-contact stuff for Randolph on Monday night when the Grizzlies reconvened for practice after the all-star break.

The scene could be described as what the Griz have become used to: And that's hurry up and wait.

It's been eight weeks since Randolph suffered a slightly torn right medial collateral ligament. He was expected to resume a full-contact basketball regime this week.

But Monday was not the day, meaning Randolph's return likely won't be Wednesday when the Griz host the Dallas Mavericks in FedExForum.

Exactly when will the Grizzlies' heart and soul play in his first regular-season game since Jan.1?

"I don't know," Randolph said. "When I think I'm right. When I can do everything I'm used to doing."

Randolph entered the Grizzlies' practice court jolly and full of vigor. He wore a black knee brace to stabilize the injury, which didn't require surgery but healed over the course of two months, according to magnetic resonance imaging test results.

Randolph can run and jump like a normal person. Playing basketball is a different story.

"You can do all of the rehabbing and strength stuff you want. You can work on the treadmill and under water," Randolph said. "But it's different when you get out there on there court. It's mental, too."

Randolph clearly looked limited Monday when he joined his teammates. He hesitated to make cutting motions and appeared uncomfortable moving in the knee brace.

The Grizzlies, though, are adamant that Randolph healed in a normal timeframe and suffered no setbacks.

"I think Zach had expectations that he was going to get a lot of running in and then practice (today) and then go play," Griz coach Lionel Hollins said. "But whatever was going to happen was going to happen. Obviously, we have to encourage Zach. Whatever time it takes, it takes. He doesn't have to worry about coming back and being a savior. ... Each day is different. Today he may be down. Tomorrow may be better. And then he'll get to the point where he's active and he's even better."

Randolph walks without a limp. He's been cleared for non-contact basketball activity for more than a week, and he spent the past weekend working out with the team's athletic trainers and strength coach.

Randolph admitted that he's still limited with cutting and lateral movement.

"There's a lot of ways right now," Randolph said. "I'm not there yet. I can't put a percentage on it, either."

The Griz haven't set a target date for Randolph's return, but it is possible that he could return March 7 at Golden State. Memphis is off today but will play three games in four days starting Wednesday. The Griz then have three days off before that Golden State game, giving Randolph more practice time.

"It's one thing to be healthy and another thing to work on conditioning," Hollins said. "The last thing is getting back on the court. You need practice time and time to get into a rhythm. It's not easy. When you've been sitting, you're like a fan. You don't know how fast the game is."

Meanwhile, Randolph's teammates seemed to enjoy his presence.

"Until the time comes," center Marc Gasol said, "we'll do what we have to do. We'll wait for the big fella."

http://www.commercialappe...riz-waiting-on-randolph/

So, it looks like March 7th is the big date.

I can wait 3 more games to see him back out on the court. DAL, @TOR, DET are all winnable games. Those extra 3 days off before the Warriors game will really help. 

laugh.gif
grin.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Tony Allen always missing layups.

I'm hoping for March 7th vs. Warriors, cause I got tickets to that game out here.. would love to see my boy come back and do work!

Good W tonight.
Houston down 16 to the Jazz and could be tied with the Grizz if they lose. Same for the Lakers if they lose to the TWolves tonight. Grizz could move up to the 4th spot by the end of the week if they win out against Detroit/Toronto and catch a few breaks from other teams.

Good W last night.....dirk or not, i couldnt see us losing that one.
How is zbo lookin in these practices, i wonder
i see nothin but promise if these dudes mesh.
hollins has been getting better with these lineups lately

Originally Posted by moundraised23

Good W last night.....dirk or not, i couldnt see us losing that one.
How is zbo lookin in these practices, i wonder
i see nothin but promise if these dudes mesh.
hollins has been getting better with these lineups lately
I think ZBO is coming along fine. No limping, he's running and jumping like normal. He's still struggling on cutting, but I think its more mental than anything. He's still wearing a brace for security. I think the team should bring him back by playing him about 15-20 minutes a night until he gets comfortable. Speights is a pretty good 1st quarter player and I think it would work out for the team.
March is probably the easiest stretch of games the Grizz have out of the entire season. 9 out of the 15 teams are not in the playoffs currently. 

This is a big month because April is going to be hell! Start off with 6 games in 8 nights @OKC, GSW, @DAL, @MIA, DAL, LAC. 
sick.gif
 Then an easier stretch of 6 games in 8 nights. 12 games in 16 nights 
sick.gif

At least the team ends the season with 3 straight home games. 

Shockingly, little-used swingman Sam Young checked in with 6:48 left in the second quarter. Young, who hadn’t played since starting Feb. 5 at Boston, went back to the bench with 4:31 left in the period.

Young said before the game that the Griz and his agent are working to pursue trade possibilities before the March 15 deadline.
Young and Pargo for a veteran PG please.

Who is out there with a cheap salary?
Anybody the Grizz get would have to be at a cheaper salary than the players they send out.

The options aren't really good.

Maybe they snag a veteran scrub PG and a second round pick.

As I said before, OJ is making it hard on Heisley and Co. 
If this team makes a deep playoff run, you have to think OJ stays. They will find a way to keep him, even if its on his QO.

If the Grizzlies win against Golden State on Wed., they will break the .600 mark for the first time since 2006 and for only the third time in franchise history. Not bad for losing your best bench player and best player with a condensed schedule. 

I think the Grizz are better off trading Sam and Pargo away for a 2nd rounder and cash, then picking up Eddie House for the minimum. It seems like OJ is the primary ball handler when Conley is out. House can help come playoff time when teams decide to pack it in and maybe play that "Cook" role for us. 

That's what the +%*% I'm talking about
3rd in the West. Winners of 11 out of 13. 5 game winning streak. Phoenix up next Saturday. Let's push it to 6. 
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

That's what the +%*% I'm talking about
3rd in the West. Winners of 11 out of 13. 5 game winning streak. Phoenix up next Saturday. Let's push it to 6. 
pimp.gif

2wcittv.gif

pimp.gif

My son been out there cooking.. I was at the Pistons game..plan on hitting up the wiz and raptors games.
grin.gif

I was completely confident when I said they would play better when ZBo got hurt just like they did without Gay..

Hopefully they keep it rollin when he gets back.. Finishing in the top 4 would be
eek.gif

Originally Posted by henz0

I was completely confident when I said they would play better when ZBo got hurt just like they did without Gay..

Hopefully they keep it rollin when he gets back.. Finishing in the top 4 would be
eek.gif

2 early 2 call now, but dont let us snatch home court 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

we'll stay unda da radar for now.

"shout out to da bench mob"- TA  

I was 
pimp.gif
at the game last night when they we're spanking the Warriors last night.
Loved seeing fans get up in middle of 4th to leave and go home while we up 20
laugh.gif

I was talking #*$% all night in my Mayo jersey, wifey in Z.bo jersey
laugh.gif

#3 seed baby
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by henz0

Finishing in the top 4 would be
eek.gif

just hoping we wouldn't have had to face you guys in the first round (which thankfully is looking very unlikely)

Wouldn't want to face y'all at all actually
laugh.gif
.. I like the thunder ( harden is 1 of my fav players ) but I wouldn't mind seeing y'all get bumped before a possible matchup
nerd.gif
.. Only team i wouldn't feel comfortable with the Grizz facing besides the lakers

I would much rather be on the other side of the playoff bracket to possibly meet OKC in the WCF.

Give me Dallas, Lakers, Portland, Minnesota, LAC, Houston, Denver in the 1st round, Spurs in the 2nd and OKC in the 3rd.

Anybody notice that Rudy actually has a good collection of dunks this season? From the top of my head...

- block on Noah, then dunks on him
- alley oop off the backboard against NJN
- alley oop from Pargo over Perkins
- alley oop over Dorrell Wright from a few nights ago
- the back to back dunks (dunk on Wallace & windmill)

I can't think of anything else.

[h1]
[h1]Practice time translates well for Griz[/h1]
By Ronald Tillery on March 9, 2012 3:29 PM

No, it's not a cliché when coaches talk about the need for practice time.
It's easy to understand the Grizzlies' proficient play as of late if you sit in on their practices. They have efficient and detailed-oriented workouts.

Coach Lionel Hollins, much like Hubie Brown did before him, doesn't waste time in these sessions. He also doesn't wear out his players with long, drawn-out practices. For example, the Griz reconvened Friday in Phoenix after an off day and spent an hour and 15 minutes in the gym.

They spent most of that time going over late-game situations and fine-tuning defensive principles. The players' focus is noticeable, too. It's a stimulating yet business-like atmosphere.

"We just want to be a good team," Hollins said. "We want to play well no matter where we are. We talk about going out everyday and being who we are whether it's at practice or shootaround or a game."

Meanwhile, Zach Randolph moved closer to being Z-Bo on the floor. Randolph went through what was easily his best contact practice. He was extremely active, displaying second and third effort on the boards. Although Randolph said he didn't expect to play on this trip, it's clear that he's rounding into shape after three contact practices.

His return is imminent. I'd be a little surprised if Randolph didn't play next week or even sooner. Also, guard Tony Allen is questionable for Saturday's game against Phoenix. He missed practice Friday with a stomach virus.
[/h1]

Back
Top Bottom