Official Memphis Grizzlies 2011-2012 Season Thread

@MarcGasol I'm proud to say that we have reached a tentative agreement with my team @memgrizz , can't wait to get on the court with all my teammates!
pimp.gif

Still have to get a backup center and another big man. Just don't trade Juice (yet).
frown.gif

Looking at the numbers with Marc being re-signed, Chris Herrington wrote an article about how much space we would have left to possibly sign a decent big....
With Marc signed, we have 12 players on the roster including Selby and Pargo. We will be at $66.3M. Luxury tax is $70.3M. Haddadi has a QO for $2M and the Grizz will either drop it and let him walk or re-sign him for cheaper. They will probably bring in Mikki Moore or Skinner from training camp and sign them to a cheap deal to be the 3rd center. Only other cheap options may be Powe or Murphy.

McRoberts would cost us more than $3-4M probably. Since we are looking for more of a versatile big man, guys like Pryzbilla and Kwame should be off the table. Craig Smith, Gani Lawal, Darius Songalia are some options. 
sick.gif

If McRoberts gets $3-4M, then we need another lockout.

I'd take a crack at Fesenko. He's a true center instead of the center-power forward the team is looking for, but his defensive numbers are impressive.

Xavier Henry coming through in the clutch with torn ligaments in his ankle. Suppose to be out a month. Probably why we didn't trade OJ.

It is good to hear Mayo in a good mood!

I hope they come out with the same fire power they ended with! ZBO going nuts!

I like Fesenko, Pryzbilla and Reggie Evans. I think we can any of those 3 for a reasonable price.

Sixers letting Speights go for a 2nd rounder.
Trade @$% and a 2nd rounder for him and we are set. 

Do it Heisley!

FlyerGrizBlog Chris Herrington 
As I wrote last night, can't see Griz signing McRoberts given tax constraints. Names to keep an eye on: Troy Murphy, Jason Smith, Leon Powe

If I had to choose, I'll go with Smith, then Murphy. Both of them bring shooting and have more size (pause) than Powe. Smith is also a legit 7 footer.

Speights is okay. Like a weaker DA in a sense because he likes shooting mid-range jumpers. I

Anyways, for $$$ and a second, I'd probably do it. Just need to re-sign Haddadi or sign another true center.

Edit:

What the hell happened to the Sean Williams talk over the summer? Between Smith and Murphy, I like Murphy. He would bring more range and better rebounding.

Pryzbilla would be a good fit. They need a rough and rowdy dude to foul the *$+# out of dudes like Bynum.

Grizz officially waived %+@ Smith today according to insidehoops.
I guess we all knew this was coming. I'm taking it that the Grizz sign a legit 7 footer and a big that can shoot and play both the PF/C position. I'm still not quite sure on what they will do with HH, but he's still overseas. I'm thinking we sign Murphy and Moore or Skinner (probably Skinner since he and Zbo played together with LAC if that means anything 
laugh.gif
 ).

I like Pryzbilla too. 

Ronald Tillery: Marc Gasol isn't practicing today. He is receiving treatment for ankle injury apparently suffered in LA. Griz will waive Mikki Moore 2day 2 minutes ago

Ronald Tillery: Gasol injury not serious. He's day-to-day 1 minute ago

eyes.gif

So, X is out for a month with an ankle injury. Sam Young has a sprained ankle. Marc is receiving treatment for his ankle and I heard somewhere that Arthur has a sore achilles.

Griz fear Arthur lost for the season

Grizzlies forward Darrell Arthur left practice this morning with a serious Achilles injury and the fear is that he might be lost for the entire 2011-12 season, according to sources with knowledge of situation.

An early diagnosis by the team's medical staff indicated that Arthur might have suffered a torn left Achilles. The 6-9 reserve had just returned to practice after missing time with a sore right Achilles.

The Griz were already thin at the power forward and center positions.

This is the second time a serious injury will curtail Arthur's career. He missed four months during the 2009-10 season because of surgery to repair a partially torn right pectoralis muscle.

Arthur is entering his fourth NBA season. He emerged last year as a solid backup to Zach Randolph at power forward with his mid-range shooting and rebounding.
Link

ohwell.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Awful news for DA and the Grizzlies if true.

If we do end up trading OJ, I want a guy like Millsap. 
Whether the Jazz would give him up or not is another thing. I'm sure they would with Jefferson, Kanter and Favors. OJ + filler for Millsap. 

Other than that, most of the guys I did like for this team are gone. The only way we are going to get a quality big is by trading OJ. More than likely, the guy we get will be DA's replacement as well. I'm not quite sold on Heisley retaining DA right now. He may end up retaining him now since DA's value may drop with this injury. It would've been really bad if DA had got his extension before the season.

The big men left on the market.
sick.gif

Re-sign Powe
Re-sign Haddadi (or sign Pryzbilla/Fesenko)
Sign ???
Do not trade Juice unless Henry/Selby show they can contribute

Bigs
Gasol
Z-Bo
Haddadi/Pryzbilla/Fesenko
Powe
???

Hollins should also consider playing small ball with Rudy at PF

Edit:

I realize I just posted not to trade Juice, but what about Jodie Meeks and Marreese Speights for him?

I wonder if Powe can move a little better than he did last year. If he can, I think he may be capable of giving 15-20 minutes a night.
Re-signing Haddadi is fine with me, but I just don't see him as a full time backup. His stamina is terrible and he will be useless against faster teams. Picking up Fesenko or Pryzbilla may be the best thing to do and make HH your 3rd big. Chris Herrington did mention Rudy playing some PF which will work sometimes. Speights/Meeks for Juice is good with me. A slight upgrade from the McRob/Rush package. I keep hearing that Speights may be traded to the Nuggets though.

Grizzlies face tough decision now that they have a championship window

The Grizzlies play in the league’s second-smallest market, trumping only New Orleans, and they have been consistent money-losers even when they win. But their moment has arrived, and it is a moment that will test the new collective bargaining agreement and the league’s undisclosed revenue-sharing plan — the products of a lockout intended to help prop up small-market teams.

However they did it, the Grizzlies have accomplished what every small-market team is supposed to in order to win: They have assembled a four-man core on three cheap deals and one big one (Zach Randolph), and then paid the price when those three cheap pieces became eligible for their first big NBA contracts. They have about $50.5 million committed this season to Mike Conley, Rudy Gay, Marc Gasol and Randolph, and their bill for just those four players will jump to about $58 million in 2014-15, per ShamSports and other sources. Depending on Gasol’s exact starting salary and what the Grizzlies have agreed to pay Josh Selby this season, they might be as little as about $500,000 or $750,000 under the league’s luxury-tax threshold — a tough place for a money-losing small-market team to be, though the Grizzlies actually paid the tax six seasons ago.

Will they go there again? That depends on a lot of things, including the willingness of owner Michael Heisley to spend money and whether the tax line — set around $70.3 million this season — jumps faster than the salaries tied to Memphis’ key players over the next half-decade.

But if you look at the history of small-market teams who cracked the elite, you’ll see all these poor sisters have spent when they sensed a championship window. The Kings, doing so poorly now they nearly moved to Anaheim this season, sported top-five overall payrolls twice during the height of the Chris Webber era. The Spurs have paid the luxury tax three times in the last six seasons, though only once (in 2009-10) did they pay more than even $1 million in tax penalties; San Antonio had the luxury of keeping its spending to that level in part because one of their core stars (Tim Duncan) was so great they could subsist on cheap role players — until Duncan’s game slipped a bit, and they took the high-priced gamble on Richard Jefferson.

The Grizzlies have a championship window now. They took the Thunder, perhaps the conference favorites as things stand today, to the full seven games last season without Gay — the precise sort of perimeter scorer who could have punished Oklahoma City for ignoring Memphis’ outside players. That series validated their six-game win over San Antonio, an outcome the skeptical might have chalked up to Manu Ginobili’s late-season elbow injury and a uniquely favorable matchup against a team that often plays Matt Bonner at power forward. With several other Western Conference powers in decline or transition, it wouldn’t be outlandish to rank Memphis No. 2 in the conference, behind only those same Thunder.

But you need more than four quality players to win, and already Memphis faces a major test now that Darrell Arthur, the team’s third-best big man, might be out for the season after tearing his right Achilles. Arthur made a huge leap last season, emerging as a pick-and-pop threat and active defender who used his speed to roam around, squelch pick-and-rolls and challenge shots. His loss moves Hamed Haddadi into the third big man role, and while Haddadi has put up nice numbers in very limited minutes, those minutes have been limited for a reason: Haddadi is slow afoot and has struggled with fatigue in the NBA.

The Grizzlies could use the mini mid-level exception, valued at $3 million this season, to chase a free agent such as Kris Humphries or Kenyon Martin (if Martin’s Chinese team releases him), but doing so would take them at least $2 million over the tax line. They could try to trade for one of Utah’s big men, such as Paul Millsap, but doing so would almost certainly cost them O.J. Mayo and might still end up adding to their payroll. It will be difficult to find a trade that results in Memphis sending out almost precisely the salary it takes in, thus having no impact on their cap figure. This is why they were so ready to deal Mayo for Josh McRoberts, a cheaper alternative to bolster their front line.

Going $2 million over the tax line is not a small thing, even if the new CBA promises some tax remittance for teams that barely exceed the initial threshold. That extra $2 million brings another $2 million in dollar-for-dollar penalties, and the penalty ratio jumps to $1.50-to-$1 starting in 2013-14. It is a serious expense. But if a championship contender in a small market can’t squeeze out a little extra, then the lockout will have accomplished nothing fans will ever feel. The point of lowering the players’ share of basketball-related income from 57 percent to 50 percent and instituting a more “robust

Its messed up that this team can never catch a break. I'm all for moving OJ and Vasquez for Millsap and Bell. Salary figures probably don't add up, but I know its not too far off.
Having Zbo/Marc/Millsap would give us the best big rotation in the league probably. I just don't know if Utah would do a OJ/Millsap swap. Also, not sure if they would want Vasquez. I think thats the only way we deal OJ is if we got someone that's capable of carrying the bench. The McRoberts/Rush deal isn't as good knowing that DA is gone. That's easily 10-13 points a night. Too bad the Bulls got Rip. I'll take a Korver + Gibson deal.

Other teams I'll be interested in getting if we traded OJ....

Reddick + Anderson or Big Baby (but I don't think they can trade Big Baby right now correct?)

Gerald Henderson + Diaw/Ely

Morrow + James

I still like Hayes if he can somehow recover and pass his physical. 

Back
Top Bottom