Official Miami Heat (4) vs OKC Thunder (1) NBA Finals Thread - Miami Heat NBA Champions

Originally Posted by nflowshoe

If the Mavs,Lakers, and Spurs couldn't win in OKC what factor makes y'all think Miami is going to steal one? The Heat role players have been a non factor and Durant and lebron numbers are going to cancel each other out. Wade is going thru a Slump and Bosh isnt 100%.
What are the heat advantages? 

Im not making any predictions, all I have to say is OKC is by far the best team the Heat have faced all playoffs and the Heat may be the worst team the Thunder have faced this year in the playoffs.Can't wait!
mavs - not the same team from last year. Choke city. What else is new?

lakers- Took a weak denver team to seven games. Lakers should have never made the playoffs too. kobe playing like a poor mans Jordan wizard.

SPURS- Refs.

Cant wait to see them clowns in okc cry when they dont get the calls they got in the WCF.
Bron gonna show durant who the best player in the world is.
Wade gonna punk 0.
Bosh gonna elbow crooked teeth.

Heat in 5.

NBA Finals Play Analysis (self.nba)

submitted 10 hours ago by LakersMens_Rea

Since I've covered the Thunder already and both teams heavily rely on swarm defense, I'm going to focus on the Heat's offense and look at some similarities and differences between the two teams.

If you want a review of the Thunder offense, check these links:

Breakdown of the Thunder's Corner 2 play

Thunder plays from WCF Game 4

Direct link to WCF Game 4 YouTube playlist

Link to full 26 video playlist

A-set

Earlier in the year I looked at the Heat's Pace and Space Motion Offense and through the season they've added several plays to strengthen their half court offense. One relic from last year is the Double High Post which operates out of the A-set so we'll begin by looking at that set.

The Double High Post was the primary offensive weapon for the Heat last year. This year they still use it to create a curl from the corner or create a high pick and roll surrounded by shooters.

Clip 1

Animation

In this clip, Lebron pops out to receive the pass and Chalmers sets the strong side screen. Wade tries to curl but Rondo plays the curl well forcing Wade to split and Chalmers and Haslem play a pick and roll.

The Thunder also use the A-set as I showed here. Where the Heat call their version the Double High Post, the Thunder call it Corner 2 because Harden (the 2) is usually the first option in the play.

Clip 2

Animation

Here we see a very similar play as the one above. Ibaka pops out to receive the pass and Fisher sets the weak side screen. Durant curls out of the corner and finds Fisher in the corner who then drives and finds Ibaka cutting to the basket.

Since these two teams play the A-set, there's going to be a lot of room for adjustment for both teams here. Both teams will also be able to look at previous games to see how other teams were able to successfully defend it and how to improve their own version.

For example, the Thunder might want to look at how the Celtics defended the curl by putting Rondo up top to prevent Wade's curl. The Thunder might be happier with their defense denying Wade's curl and settling for a pick and roll with Haslem. On the other hand, when they run Harden off of that curl, they might want to set the screens wider to give him room to cut baseline.

Other examples:

Clip 3 - Heat DHP

Clip 4 - Heat DHP

Clip 5 - Heat DHP

Clip 6 - Thunder Corner 2

Clip 7 - Thunder Corner 2

Clip 8 - Thunder Corner 2

Flex Offense

Clip 9

In this clip, the Heat start with their Double High Post but transition into flex. If you're having difficult spotting the transitions, these two screenshots should help.

Double High Post

Flex

It's still unknown whether the Heat will continue to run this play with Bosh occupying a corner with Wade and Lebron in the back court but it'll be interesting to see if they try this play again as the series continues.

Clip 10

The Thunder also run flex but they tend to have Durant occupy a corner and curl out more often than the Heat. Here we see Ibaka start in the back court and screen for Durant in the corner. He doesn't get a good driving angle so he pops up to screen for Fisher and receives the ball up top.

Clip 11 - Thunder Flex

Lebron/Durant as the Screener

The Heat have been running a few different plays with Lebron playing the screener. Here we see the single double play with Miller as the shooting option and Lebron pops up for a back screen and rolls to the basket.

Clip 12 - Single Double, Wade drives

Clip 13 - Single Double, Lebron roll option 1

Clip 14 - Single Double, Lebron roll option 2

In that last clip, Lebron's roll was defended much better and if played correctly, it could give Lebron a post opportunity.

Clip 15

This is a screen the screener play for Lebron out of the flex. Haslem sets a screen for Lebron who then sets a screen for Wade. A screen the screener play prevents the roll defender from hedging on a pick and roll and also delays his ability to recover on the roll. Pietrus was late to defend the pick and roll which forced Rondo into a bad switch out of position.

Clip 16

Here we have the same play for the Thunder except Durant takes the pick and pop option rather than the roll.

Clip 17

Lebron will also take the pick and pop option off of the corner curl.

Clip 18

Rolling off of the screen also opens up a post option for the screener.

Clip 19

Both sides are going to have to be very careful that they don't over-commit to the action on the strong side and be ready when the ball swings to the weak side.

Clip 20 - Lebron screen the screener

This is going to be an interesting series because of the similar play styles of the two teams. Both teams will have to adjust their game plans as the series plays on to find how they can best exploit their advantages.

sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

This dude is the MVP of r/NBA aka Sebastian Pruiti on HGH. 

OKC needs to attack the rim. Lebron/Wade live at the rim and free throw line. Can't keep falling in love with those jump shots. If Durant can work the paint like he did in game 5 they'll be fine. Mr. Yolo should be thirsty to attack the rim with Rio guarding him and no hands joel protecting the rim.

I think Fisher being in these guys ear about the Finals will be huge for them.

Collison needs to hit 3's if available.

Should be fun. I am worried if OKC can win 2 games in Miami though. If Miami does go down 0-2 it won't be a huge deal. OKC is just wild at home.

Originally Posted by Do Be Doo

If the Mavs,Lakers, and Spurs couldn't win in OKC what factor makes y'all think Miami is going to steal one? The Heat role players have been a non factor and Durant and lebron numbers are going to cancel each other out. Wade is going thru a Slump and Bosh isnt 100%.

Im not making any predictions, all I have to say is OKC is by far the best team the Heat have faced all playoffs and the Heat may be the worst team the Thunder have faced this year in the playoffs.Can't wait!

lakers- Took a weak denver team to seven games. Lakers should have never made the playoffs too. kobe playing like a poor mans Jordan wizard.

SPURS- Refs.

Cant wait to see them clowns in okc cry when they dont get the calls they got in the WCF.
Wade gonna punk 0.

Heat in 5.
laugh.gif

Your team lost 4 straight. Yup BLAME the refs 
roll.gif

Collison? 3s? What? If by "hit 3s," you mean set good screens on SFs attempting to defense Durant I agree. If you mean jump shots from 23 feet 9 inches, 22 feet in the corners, I have no idea why you would expect or want that from him.

SPURS- Refs.

Wade gonna punk 0.

Heat in 5.
You mad, though.
ohwell.gif

SPURS- Refs.

Wade gonna punk 0.

Heat in 5.
Stop talking @##$

I'm a huge Lebron fan, but this series he is the underdog. On paper, Heat should have the upper hand, but let's face it dwade hasn't pulled his weight, probably not healthy like Bosh. Game 1 is key, if Heat can steal this game, they are in business, but if they lose the first two games, it will be a tough to climb out of, even with 3 games straight at home. I don't see OKC losing 3 straight, because Brooks is a far better coach than Spo, and the playoffs is a game of adjustments. If the Heat can run pick and roll/pop with the right players they can win this. I can't stand it when I see a pick and roll with Lebron/Joel Anthony. It isn't effective from the top of the key and higher. Now if they run it with Bosh/Wade/Lebron then it is effective even though it loads a side, I don't think OKC can keep up with pick and roll if ran effectively and in steady diet (which is why they lost first 2 games to the Spurs). If Duncan made those elbow jumpers in the later games it would have been a different series, but he had the opportunities. This is going to be Lebron's toughest test to date, in my opinion, will be a turning point for his legacy. For me at the end of the day if he kills this series and still doesn't win, he gets a pass because I've seen the lack of help that should be there in Wade. He came to Miami for that help, and has not gotten it like he should be in this years playoff run. I also see why people may hold it against him for not winning. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, I might not agree, but I respect it and see it from other viewpoints.

So many crazy things that can happen for either team.

If the Heat don't win do we start looking at Lebron like Karl Malone?

LeBron is only 27 though. MJ was 28 when he won his first. Granted LeBron came out of high school so yrs aren't even, but it's not like he is some end of his career @%+ dude who has to get one this year or else. With his size and passing ability, he could probably play til 38 or so anyways and as his athleticism declines, he becomes a power forward.

I agree though, LeBron could be on a different level of hungry right now. Hope OKC's kids don't get caught up in the hype and "happy to be here" syndrome, especially with the Finals taking over the whole city. Then again, we have 3 guys with rings on the team not counting coaches. If Perk is half as profound (although country and not grammatically correct) in the locker room as he is in interviews and especially with Jim Rome, he'll make sure everybody has the right mindset,.

Speaking of Miami, the most genius finals move either (that is now looked at in the opposite light since dudes choked) was Avery Johnson checking the Mavs out of their Miami hotel and into a hotel in Carol City to keep them "focused."

Originally Posted by Scientific Method

LeBron is only 27 though. MJ was 28 when he won his first. Granted LeBron came out of high school so yrs aren't even, but it's not like he is some end of his career *$! dude who has to get one this year or else. With his size and passing ability, he could probably play til 38 or so anyways and as his athleticism declines, he becomes a power forward.

Wade is declining though and the way that team is built unless all three are at the peak of their powers they can lose to "lesser" teams.

And I hate to admit this but if OKC wins it this year its a wrap for the league barring injury the next two years.

interesting thoughts on the radio today regarding about durant and lebron. the radio host was saying that if OKC wins this year lebron won't win anytime soon since OKC is so young and because of durant. the host also says this comparing how many great players didn't win a championship because of the Jordan Bulls team. do yall agree or disagree?

Originally Posted by ricerocket1

interesting thoughts on the radio today regarding about durant and lebron. the radio host was saying that if OKC wins this year lebron won't win anytime soon since OKC is so young and because of durant. the host also says this comparing how many great players didn't win a championship because of the Jordan Bulls team. do yall agree or disagree?

This is my biggest fear but I hate the Heat too much to root for them.

But the reality is in my almost 30 years on Earth I've never seen a team this young, this good ever. I can't even think of a team in history that pulled this off.

If Lebron, Wade and Bosh can't stop these dudes this year no one will for a few years.

Our only hope will be Westbrook and Durant falling out.

This coaching matchup, I'm ready.
 I'm interested to see how Brooks plays his small lineup in order to get Thabo on the floor more. When he switched him on Parker and the Spurs stopped making jumpers, definitely changed the series.If Spoelstra can make him stick with his bigger lineup, things will get mighty interesting.

Back
Top Bottom