Official Mikhail Prokhorov thread vol. Russian Billionaire/Absolute Dictator

Mikhail Prokhorov might rename the New Jersey Nets

Mikhail Prokhorov fever is sweeping the nation, probably! There's a lot to love about a smirking, joking, 6-foot-8 Russian who made his first fortune by selling stonewashed jeans then decided to buy the New Jersey Nets because he had a spare $500 million.

Even though he couldn't keep the Nets from falling to the third pick in the draft, Prokhorov's first United States media tour has been pretty impressive. Whether it be pledging a championship within five seasons or declaring his intention to turn the Nets into the first truly global team in the NBA, Prokhorov has talked a pretty good game. But, as Julian Garcia of the New York Daily News mentions, we might not be talking about the Nets very much longer.

"Let me ask you some questions," Prokhorov said to a small group of reporters during a private brunch meeting at the Four Seasons Hotel in Manhattan. "What about the name of the team? Is it okay, the Nets? Or do we have to try to find something new?

"I'm a foreigner, you know," he said. "I need your piece of advice. I can put Russian name and nobody knows what it is. I can put the name of a girlfriend and every time I change, I need to change the name of the team."

On one hand, nice zings by everyone's new favorite owner, especially the girlfriend part. Pretty funny. On the other, I don't want this to open the door for Russians to buy all of the American sport teams and change their names. Perhaps we should draft controversial legislation that will ban European billionaires from buying American sports franchises and then have NBA teams protest that legislation with awkwardly worded jerseys. That's just a totally random suggestion, though.

However, if Prokhorov is really serious about changing the Nets' name, he's going to need a hand. If you've caught any of his interviews in the past week, you know that English is not his first language, so I think it would be nice of us to help him navigate the ins and outs of effective team naming. Between these very good suggestions and those of The Baseline's Eric Freeman, Prokhorov will have a great jumping-off point if he ever renames the team.

• New Jersey Nyets: Surely this is the first time this name has ever been suggested.

• New Jersey Stonewashed Jeans: Not only does it reference Prokhorov's first success, it also shouts out the state's pants of choice.

• New Jersey Keithvanhorns: It would be nice to honor the greatest player in team history.

• Brooklyn New Jerseys: This is kind of complicated. First the Nets would have to secure their move to Brooklyn, which would take care of the first part. Then, because they would need to buy new jerseys, they would just become the New Jerseys. It might be confusing, but it would also be very literal, which helps when acquiring a second language.

• New Jersey Bobcats: It might be available and makes just as much sense in New Jersey as in North Carolina.

• New Jersey Foulkiis: No, that's not the Russian word for foul, but rather the state's official dinosaur, the Hadrosaurus foulkii. In other news, New Jersey has an official dinosaur, but not song, even though Bruce Springsteen helped establish the state in 1787. Weird.

As you can see, there are a wealth of different choices that would be excellent names for the franchise. Sure, the team might lose a little of its identity with a name change, but following a 70-loss season that might be OK. As always, your suggestions are welcomed in the comments. The big Russian needs our help.

laugh.gif
at Keithvanhorns

Originally Posted by SIRIUS LEE HANDSOME

Originally Posted by Nash

I don't trust this dude
What do you think, he's going to kill the president and declare Martial Law in this country or something?

Lay off the Bruce Willis movies, ok chief?
laugh.gif
where'd you get all that from?  relax there cowboy, I'm just saying dude seems really sheisty.

[h1]Nets to hire Russian exec for front office[/h1]
By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports

As Russian billionaire Mikhail Prokhorov begins making an imprint as owner of the New Jersey Nets, he’s nearing an agreement with CSKA Moscow president Andrei Vatutin to take a senior-level, front-office job with the franchise, European and NBA sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Sources say Vatutin, 36, will join a revamped Nets front office after CSKA’s season ends in the next few weeks. With the firing of general manager Kiki Vandeweghe on Wednesday, Nets president Rod Thorn will take back his general manager duties.

The Nets are also retaining vice president of basketball operations Bobby Marks.

Sources believe Prokhorov wants Vatutin groomed to someday become an NBA GM. Nevertheless, most believe the young Russian is a long way from being qualified to run an NBA team.

Vatutin was the GM for CSKA, a European powerhouse, when Prokhorov operated the franchise. He helped put together a CSKA team that won the 2008 Euroleague title

Back
Top Bottom