OFFICIAL Minnesota T-Wolves Offseason thread

Word, i dont think anyone expects Rubes to come in right away and stud. He's 18. However the public obviously wants him here as soon as possible.....causehe was better at 15 than any PG the Wolves have had the last 5 years. I think he's going to struggle for awhile....but I think he'll be a good pro.

Flynn to me is the wildcard. He could be great. Who knows what's going to happen with these two. Fun to speculate though.

Rubio's buyout is going to have to be paid by endorsers or on some payment plan. If he stays over there another year then so be it too. He's 18.

Originally Posted by Blazers21NTNP

It has been reported that Rubio has accepted the fact that he'll be playing in Minnesota, but the buy-out on his contract is ridiculous. Kahn is over in Spain right now trying to negotiate it down, but I don't really see that happening.

I've never been a fan of Rubio, nor have I understood the hype which surrounds him. If he turns out to be a good pro down the line, I'll be the first to admit I was wrong, but I have a hard time seeing him make an immediate impact in the L. Jonny Flynn on the other hand... I think he's going to be able to have a major impact from the beginning, and will be a future star.

Either way looking back on the Draft I don't think it's fair to call it a complete fail. I'm sure Kahn would be able to move the rights to Rubio for at the very least, a player of equal value that he could have gotten at that 5th pick.
It cracks me up when people say this. It should be obvious. At 18 years old he was the best point guard in the second toughest pro league in theworld, he won euro league defensive player of the year, his passing has been compared to Bird, Maravich and Nash, and matched up with some guys by the name ofKidd, Williams, and Paul with a broken wrist and held his own. The hype is obvious, you're blind if you can't see that.
grin.gif

Flynn in my eyes, I live like a couple hours away from Syracuse, Ive seen Johnny Flynn play, dude is one of the surest things in this draft IMO, but he needsthe ball in his hands.
grin.gif

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

It has been reported that Rubio has accepted the fact that he'll be playing in Minnesota, but the buy-out on his contract is ridiculous. Kahn is over in Spain right now trying to negotiate it down, but I don't really see that happening.

I've never been a fan of Rubio, nor have I understood the hype which surrounds him. If he turns out to be a good pro down the line, I'll be the first to admit I was wrong, but I have a hard time seeing him make an immediate impact in the L. Jonny Flynn on the other hand... I think he's going to be able to have a major impact from the beginning, and will be a future star.

Either way looking back on the Draft I don't think it's fair to call it a complete fail. I'm sure Kahn would be able to move the rights to Rubio for at the very least, a player of equal value that he could have gotten at that 5th pick.
It cracks me up when people say this. It should be obvious. At 18 years old he was the best point guard in the second toughest pro league in the world, he won euro league defensive player of the year, his passing has been compared to Bird, Maravich and Nash, and matched up with some guys by the name of Kidd, Williams, and Paul with a broken wrist and held his own. The hype is obvious, you're blind if you can't see that.
grin.gif

Flynn in my eyes, I live like a couple hours away from Syracuse, Ive seen Johnny Flynn play, dude is one of the surest things in this draft IMO, but he needs the ball in his hands.
grin.gif
The NBA is a different game than the Olympics; Paul, Kidd & Williams didn't really need to do anything, and it was way more of a teamoriented offensive game than the NBA teams play. Match up that Spain team against the Hornets... when CP3 needs to score 30, simply because nobody else can,then let me see how Ricky does defending him.

Euro League credentials mean the world... Back-to-back MVP, 2004 & 2005. This dude is a stud!
eek.gif

29b2c2b.jpg

Also, please stop soiling Nash, Bird & Maravich's legacies by mentioning them in the same sentence as Rubio.
grin.gif

It cracks me up when people say this. It should be obvious. At 18 years old he was the best point guard in the second toughest pro league in the world, he won euro league defensive player of the year, his passing has been compared to Bird, Maravich and Nash, and matched up with some guys by the name of Kidd, Williams, and Paul with a broken wrist and held his own. The hype is obvious, you're blind if you can't see that.
grin.gif

Flynn in my eyes, I live like a couple hours away from Syracuse, Ive seen Johnny Flynn play, dude is one of the surest things in this draft IMO, but he needs the ball in his hands.
grin.gif
The NBA is a different game than the Olympics; Paul, Kidd & Williams didn't really need to do anything, and it was way more of a team oriented offensive game than the NBA teams play. Match up that Spain team against the Hornets... when CP3 needs to score 30, simply because nobody else can, then let me see how Ricky does defending him.

Euro League credentials mean the world... Back-to-back MVP, 2004 & 2005. This dude is a stud!
eek.gif

29b2c2b.jpg

Also, please stop soiling Nash, Bird & Maravich's legacies by mentioning them in the same sentence as Rubio.
grin.gif
How old was Parker when he gained those 29? 30?
roll.gif

Forget it man...it's clear you're just hating.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Yeah... because I don't think Rubio is going to be amazing, I'm a "hater".
eyes.gif

i3cf9i.png

But you probably thought Telfair was the truth when he was putting up numbers at Lincoln.

grin.gif

grin.gif
I don't see how anyone can say they've seen enough footage of a European player to determine if he is a fan or not. You might see somefootage here or there and make your own assumptions on whether or not he will make it in the NBA, but at the very least that opinion is based on very limitedinformation.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Yeah... because I don't think Rubio is going to be amazing, I'm a "hater".
eyes.gif

i3cf9i.png

But you probably thought Telfair was the truth when he was putting up numbers at Lincoln.
High School basketball =/= Euroleague

roll.gif

Cmon dude, word to what the dude said above me skepticism for the sake of skepticism.

Rubio plans to leave DKV Joventut
Comment Email Print Share
Associated Press

GERONA, Spain -- Ricky Rubio plans to part ways with Spanish basketball club DKV Joventut even if the Minnesota Timberwolves cannot reach a deal to bring theirfirst round draft pick to the NBA.

Rubio
Rubio

Timberwolves president David Kahn was in Spain this week to try and help the fifth overall pick negotiate a buyout of his contract with Joventut. Rubio is atodds with his boyhood club over an $8.2 million buyout clause, which the NBA team can only contribute $500,000 toward.

Regardless of whether the 18-year-old Rubio makes the trip across the Atlantic next season, he won't be playing at Joventut.

"I want to continue with the club but, after everything that's happened, I don't think they're too comfortable having me in their squad,"Rubio said Wednesday. "I want to play in a winning team, on a team that can achieve many things."

Spanish basketball clubs Real Madrid and Barcelona are both interested in signing Rubio if he cannot make it to the NBA this season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4348398

Perhaps it is just my mind wandering but has his buyout jumped from 5.5 to 6.2 to now 8.2 million since the Draft? I see way too many numbers.

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

Perhaps it is just my mind wandering but has his buyout jumped from 5.5 to 6.2 to now 8.2 million since the Draft? I see way too many numbers.
that's what i thought too!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by rsdplaya

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

that's what i thought too!
laugh.gif
5.5 million euros...

^ Word, thanks,

Looks like the endorsers are finally getting together to help Rubio out of his buy out too.

Originally Posted by nnarum

Originally Posted by NICEFITDOMINICAN

Rubio will never play in Minnesota. Terrible draft. Taking 4 point guards (including Nick Calathes) and ending up only keeping 1.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Why don't you go back to making "Come to NYK LeBron!" signs because otherwise there is no hope for your team.
laugh.gif
@ You thinking the Wolves will ever be RELEVANT. Seems like I hurt Your feelings about the "great" draft Minnesota had. Face it Rubio will play for another EuroTeam and willl never be a Wolf.
laugh.gif

^ you sound mad.

And I didnt realize you knew the ins and outs of the Rubio situation. You gonna be more mad if he suits up this year or next? Cause the team willwait.....especially for an 18 year old.

Personally I shy away from the "let's put our final thoughts and statements on the draft one month after it completes." Because that has never,and will never, work in pro sports. You know nothing, I know nothing, and the GMs themselves know nothing.

If he doesnt end up playing for MN oh well, every team in the NBA at that spot would have taken him. And he'll be traded for more pieces.

grin.gif

I've been saying this since the beginning of the college basketball season. 95% of the board told me I was off my square
laugh.gif

so what do Minnesota fans want done with the rubio situation?

do you guys want him traded? or want him in the backcourt with flynn? I think flynn will be a beast, why stunt his growth?

Originally Posted by DubA169

do you guys want him traded? or want him in the backcourt with flynn? I think flynn will be a beast, why stunt his growth?

I could care less what happens to Rubio trade him for all I care.

Originally Posted by DubA169

Not impartial to any idea. I just want to let Kahn do what he feels he has to do and then I'll see where I stand. That's the beauty of hindsight forfans. Monday Morning QB FTW!
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
more moves...

Wolves get guards Wilkins, Atkins for Etan Thomas

The Wolves announced today they had traded Etan Thomas and two second-round picks to Oklahoma City for 6-6 guard Damien Wilkins and 5-11 point guard Chucky Atkins.

"We're committed towards rebuilding our roster with an eye towards flexibility and long-term success, and this move better positions us for the summer," said David Kahn, Timberwolves President of Basketball Operations, in a statement. "I want to thank Etan for his professionalism and understanding, and wish him all the best moving forward."

Thomas was acquired by the Wolves before this year's draft in the Mike Miller-Randy Foye deal with the Washington Wizards.

Wilkins joins the Wolves after spending each of his five previous NBA seasons with the Thunder franchise, where he signed as a free agent after going undrafted in 2004. In 310 career games, Wilkins has averaged 7.6 points, 2.6 rebounds and 1.5 assists per game.

Atkins, a 10-year NBA veteran, went undrafted out of the University of South Florida before signing with Orlando in 1999. In 655 career games with Orlando, Detroit, Boston, L.A. Lakers, Washington, Memphis, Denver and Oklahoma City, Atkins has averaged 10.2 points and 3.5 assists per game.

Also from Jerry Zgoda:
Now that he's back from four days in Spain that he termed "productive," David Kahn is embarking upon his second - and presumably final - round of interviews for a coach to replace Kevin McHale, a decision that presumably could come by the end of the week.

Former NBA point guard Mark Jackson, Lakers assistant coach Kurt Rambis and Houston assistant Elston Turner are on the short list - with Jackson and Rambis clearly the frontrunners - in a search in which Kahn appears to have interviewed more than a dozen candidates, including Wolves assistant Jerry Sichting.

League executives long have considered Jackson the favorite, but those in the know in the league think Rambis is getting strong consideration.

Right now, I'd make Jackson the slight favorite, if only because it might be easier to get him to sign on the dotted line in terms of years and salary on a contract.

Kahn returned from Spain Saturday and called his time there working for Ricky Rubio's release from DKV Joventut "productive" but declined further comment.

In regards to Spanish reports that Rubio is close to signing with a Madrid team, he pointed out that Joventut officials denied the report and reminded that Rubio doesn't sign anywhere until that buyout is settled.

It'll be interesting to see if his coaching choice is related to the Rubio matter. If he can strike a deal soon with Joventut and sign Rubio, would it impact who can get as coach?

I expect, though, the coaching decision comes before Rubio's situation is resolved. That still could drag on toward the end of summer. That could be decided in a few days or still take several more weeks. Who knows?

It's also almost a month now into the free agency period, so you'd think the time is coming to pluck a player or two at bargain prices. Kahn has talked to Rodney Carney's agent a couple of times and is interested, but at the right price, of course.

And he's been a little busy with other matters as well.

Im starting to come around on the Mark Jackson hire. Still not sold on it but coming around to it. I agree with what agent Bill Duffy said yesterday:
"I think Mark Jackson is going to get the job," Duffy said. "He doesn't have a background in coaching, but most of this is just communication with these guys -- 82 games you have to keep them motivated and responsive to you. He can get some technical guys behind him, but he has to be charismatic, that is the whole key and I think he would do that."

Thats why Mchale was at least partially successful on the bench. I think these dudes would listen to Jackson. And i think his hire would also help with Rubio...not only getting him here but teaching too.

So it's safe to say Bobby Brown is gone?.....

Whitney-Houston-sb06.jpg

whatever
laugh.gif

I'd support the hire of Mark Jackson if that happens...like you said RyGuy, he can relate to the players more thanany of the other candidates and as a former PG he will be able to guide Flynn and Rubio (if present) during their first couple of years.

Back
Top Bottom