OFFICIAL Minnesota Twins 2009 Season Thread (87-76)---> AL CENTRAL CHAMPS! Great season guys.

Originally Posted by djaman

Most of our problems stem from a starting rotation in disarray. I sense a small degree of disconnect with Gardy and the team. Maybe my altered perception of him results in this feeling, but a part of me thinks this team has stopped rallying around him and the front office. The Cabrera trade SHOULD be working. Cabrera currently does what he came here to do, hit in the 2-slot. Ultimately, the rotation has fallen short and will lead us to a .500 season.

I will say this though, bravo to Matt Guerrier for turning his career around. I applaud the grit and resolve in the midst of a pitching staff with crippling confidence.

But hey, we're getting a new stadium so everything will magically fix itself, right?

laugh.gif
I can't tell if that is sarcasm, but that is exactly what I was talking about before, apologetic twins fans. Again I am assuming you aren't beingsarcastic
laugh.gif

I still like Gardi the problem is we have an 2nd baseman who belongs in the minors, and relievers that would get ripped in AAA let alone the majors. Oh well,there is always two years from now.

[h3]Twins add Pavano from Cleveland[/h3] [h3]Minnesota acquires veteran right-hander for stretch run[/h3]
The Twins acquired veteran right-hander Carl Pavano on Friday from the Indians in exchange for a player to be named later.

Pavano, 33, in the midst of a somewhat revitalizing season following four disappointing years with the Yankees, adds some veteran presence to the rotation of a Minnesota team that will open a weekend series against Detroit with a 53-55 record, in third place in the AL Central, trailing the division-leading Tigers by 4 1/2 games.

To accomodate Pavano on the 25-man Major League roster, the Twins optioned right-hander R.A. Dickey to Triple-A Rochester.

Pavano went 9-8 in Cleveland -- matching his victory total for 2005-08 in New York -- with a 5.37 ERA in 17 starts and 100 innings. He is expected to join the team tonight in Detroit.

Pavano last pitched on Sunday, making him available for manager Ron Gardenhire to immediately inject him into the rotation.

He is 3-0 with a 1.93 ERA against the Tigers this season.

Link

They needed to try something, nobody worth a damn is going to clear waivers, so at least they're trying. Hopefully he can just be a guy who can go 6innings and be dependable. Liriano and Perkins haven't given that.

Dickey sent down...which means Liriano is probably headed to the pen to make room for Pavano in the rotation. We'll see how this works out.

By the way, I expected Grudzielanek to be up by now
nerd.gif

Dickey has not been great, but I would have rather seen Crain sent down.

What's funny about Dickey, he actually shut teams down for nearly two months before returning to his previous form (average at best).

Originally Posted by djaman

What's funny about Dickey, he actually shut teams down for nearly two months before returning to his previous form (average at best).

I like to use the term "serviceable." He is what he is. Nothing special, but he's good to chew up in innings in long relief when the bullpenneeds rest. Oh well...

Lineups today...

TWINS

LF- Span
SS- Cabrera
C- Mauer
1B- Morneau
DH- Kubel
RF- Cuddyer
3B- Harris
CF- Gomez
2B- Punto

SP- Anthony Swarzak

TIGERS

CF- Granderson
2B- Polanco
LF- Thomas
1B- Cabrera
DH- Guillen
RF- Ordonez
3B- Inge
C- Avila
SS- Everett

SP- Armando Galarraga

It's probably premature to say this on August 7th...but it's safe to say our season's done.

This team has holes everywhere and all this attempted patchwork (Cabrera, Pavano) is ultimately going to do us nothing....there's really no other way toput it.

Looks like I WILL be viewing the last game live at the Dome
frown.gif
....Oct. 4vs Royals.

when we get pitching we get no run support, when we get runs, no pitching.
laugh.gif
.... After the Kansas city series we should be within 3 games again.

Originally Posted by kix4kix

when we get pitching we get no run support, when we get runs, no pitching.
laugh.gif
.... After the Kansas city series we should be within 3 games again.

Yeah, should.
laugh.gif

They'll lose the series. It's like a Minnesota thing...Playin' down to the competition and all.

Pavano
eek.gif
88926f919a8b85dce39466b0bd92b677d651d878.gif
....what a debut.

Looks like Perkins won't be in the rotation anymore then? Going out and pitching the 9th inning, up by 11 is probably not a good sign if I'm in hisposition.

Hopefully Baker can go out there and get the win tomorrow. This series is big.

I swear, if Gardenhire rests Mauer tomorrow...
mad.gif

Originally Posted by SFN 155

Pavano
pimp.gif

laugh.gif

He is easily the 2nd best pitcher in our rotation. I think we will win this series, and KC series. We will see though, nice outing none the less.

I love hearing the Twins get praise for the way they operate, when they're broadcasted nationally.
pimp.gif

Tom Kelly is probably the most underrated coach and player developer of our era if not ever....

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

I love hearing the Twins get praise for the way they operate, when they're broadcasted nationally.
pimp.gif

Tom Kelly is probably the most underrated coach and player developer of our era if not ever....
It's on TBS? Mine's blacked out...
smh.gif

I cannot think of many times one of our starters (excluding Pavano) have pitched a great game in a big spot on the road this season.

^ Yeah. I don't live in the Minny area though, so no blackout for me.

They didn't mention Kelly per se, but they alluded to how they Twins play the game of baseball the right way (small ball for all 9 innings) and have beenfor over 20 years now. Something that I would attest to Tom Kelly's branding of baseball that he instilled in the Twins organization when he took over.

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

^ Yeah. I don't live in the Minny area though, so no blackout for me.

They didn't mention Kelly per se, but they alluded to how they Twins play the game of baseball the right way (small ball for all 9 innings) and have been for over 20 years now. Something that I would attest to Tom Kelly's branding of baseball that he instilled in the Twins organization when he took over.
I think I remember you telling me/us that... My fault
laugh.gif

I wish we had a few more championships to back up the claim of playing the right way though... But that's just my selfishness
laugh.gif

Alright...we're encountering a 6-game set of games here of which I think we SHOULD win 5 at least. In fact, it'd be a disappointment in my mind if wewon any less than 5.

Tuesday, August 11th
Nick Blackburn (8-6, 3.79 ERA) .vs. Kyle Davis (3-8, 6.37 ERA)
Wednesday, August 12th
Francisco Liriano (4-11, 5.63 ERA) .vs. Brian Bannister (7-8, 3.97 ERA)
Thursday, August 13th
Anthony Swarzak (3-5, 5.44 ERA) .vs. Gil Meche (4-9, 4.50 ERA)

I will be in attendance on Wednesday
88926f919a8b85dce39466b0bd92b677d651d878.gif
....dollar-a-dognight ftw
laugh.gif

I have to watch Liriano though?
sick.gif

We always play well against the Royals, especially at the Dome. I see a sweep here and the considering the fact thatthe Tigers and White Sox both dropped another .5 game today, I see us being around 1.5-2.0 games behind the division leader by the time we finish up theSunday's game vs Cleveland. Let's get it
nerd.gif
smokin.gif

EDIT: Starting pitchers in the title everyday (if I can)? Or is it too jumbled now?

Back
Top Bottom