OFFICIAL Minnesota Twins 2009 Season Thread (87-76)---> AL CENTRAL CHAMPS! Great season guys.

Well....If the Twins pull off this division championship then they truly deserved it. Detroit and Chicago just got THAT much better.

Originally Posted by SFN 155

Unless Peavy comes back a lot sooner than expected, Chicago got worse for this year.

we just traded for former Cy Young winner for two guys that were in our bullpen

how did we get worse???

Peavy
Buehrle
Gavin
Danks

Because Peavy won't be pitching this year (even if he does it will be late September)....like he said and like everyone is saying. So they didget worse THIS year from this trade. How can you or anyone else argue that?

It's funny how back in May you liked that Peavy DID nix it when he was perfectly HEALTHY...but when he accepts it and he's INJURED you're on board?Remember this?

29p7llz.jpg

Your club can do no wrong in your eyes, right?
smh.gif
grin.gif

I said that when I thought he would only okay the trade if his 2013 option was automatically picked up and mean seriously can't you read your ownscreencap?????

laugh.gif

it also raised a red flag with me because I thought it was an indicator about his on perceived healthy for a guy with an injury history

ohwell.gif

Because Peavy won't be pitching this year (even if he does it will be late September)....like he said and like everyone is saying. So they did get worse THIS year from this trade. How can you or anyone else argue that?

actually, he's expected to have a rehab start August 13 and should be fine for the early September roadtrip which includes a trip to Minnesota
Peavy is recovering from a heel injury, and the consensus is that he will begin his rehab in the minor leagues around Aug. 12. The White Sox hope he will be able to pitch for them in the major leagues by Sept. 1.

wink.gif

Originally Posted by kix4kix

The move I like, we still need pitching. Until then
grin.gif
Yeah...Exactly. Until then...
laugh.gif
It's almost poetic how the game last night played out. You know? Twins needing bullpen arms to be able andcompete for the division title and because of that reason alone, they end up blowing the game. I laugh, but crap. What to do?

I want us all to remember this the next offseason that passes this winter with zero moves....

Pohlads sell Pepsi Bottling Business

By Matt McKinney, Star Tribune

A piece of the Pohlad empire was sold off Tuesday in a $7.8 billion deal that will see PepsiCo Inc. acquire its two largest bottlers, including PepsiAmericas, the Minneapolis company run by the Pohlads for nearly a decade.

The deal, still subject to regulatory approval, would grant the $43 billion PepsiCo more control over its products while making it easier to introduce new drinks, said an industry observer.

"It's a huge plus for PepsiCo," said John Sicher, editor and publisher of Beverage Digest. "They get tremendous control over the route to market for their brands. They'll now have much better ability to decide where, how and at what price their brands are sold."

PepsiAmericas and bottling company Pepsi Bottling Group of Somers, N.Y., rejected a $6 billion bid from PepsiCo, Inc. in April, which analysts at the time said was too low an offer. The sweetened deal disclosed Tuesday offers $28.50 per share for PepsiAmericas and $36.50 per share of Pepsi Bottling Group. PepsiCo already owns at least a third of Pepsi Bottling Group and 43 percent of PepsiAmericas. PepsiAmericas CEO Robert Pohlad stands to earn $18.2 million for his 637,930 shares. The Pohlad family, which owns 9.7 percent of PepsiAmericas through Starquest Securities, stands to make $345.3 million.

The deal will see PepsiCo buy back the bottlers it spun off a decade ago. The deal made sense at the time, but consumer preferences for soda have changed dramatically in recent years, and it now makes more sense for PepsiCo to own its own bottling plants, said Sicher.

"What PepsiCo believes is that the industry has changed so much over the last decade that owning the distribution makes more sense for them rather than having a franchise or franchisee relationship with these bottlers," he said.

The deal also brings the potential for $300 million in savings, most of it through cost cutting and the elimination of overlaps within the corporate levels when PepsiCo merges the three publicly traded companies, according to PepsiCo CEO Indra Nooyi, who deflected an analyst's question Tuesday about management changes, saying it's too early to comment.

Most workers will keep jobs

Sicher predicted that most of the 20,000 PepsiAmericas employees who produce, sell and distribute beverages will keep their jobs. The company today is the nation's second largest bottler of Pepsi products, with $4.9 billion in sales worldwide and some 15 to 20 executive staff at its Minneapolis headquarters in the RBC Plaza on Nicollet Mall. PepsiAmericas runs 33 manufacturing facilities and 175 distribution centers worldwide.

The deal brings an end to a long run in bottling for the Pohlads. Family patriarch Carl Pohlad, who died Jan. 5, first ventured into soda bottling with a 1962 investment in the Minneapolis/St. Paul Pepsi bottling plant, according to a family biography. He built the business through acquisitions of several bottling plants around the country, adding a wine distribution business, restaurants and snack manufacturers before selling most of its assets to PepsiCo Inc., in 1986 for more than $600 million.

Pohlad then bought more bottling businesses and eventually created the publicly traded PepsiAmericas, run by his son Robert since its creation in 2000.

Robert Pohlad, preparing for a town hall-style meeting scheduled for Thursday at PepsiAmericas' Schaumberg, Ill., offices, was unavailable for comment Tuesday. In a conference call with analysts Tuesday, he said "the timing was right" for the deal.

PepsiCo owns Gatorade, Frito-Lay potato chips, Quaker and Tropicana brands along with its trademark Pepsi products.

Shares of Pepsi Bottling Group closed up 8.5 percent Tuesday at $36.49; shares of PepsiAmericas rose 9 percent to close at $28.50, a 52-week high.

It's unclear what the Pohlads will do with the money from the deal, but they've got a number of projects under way. The Pohlad Group, which owns the Minnesota Twins, recently bought Sears BMW in Minnetonka and +!$# Rapids Chrysler Jeep, along with two Inver Grove Heights dealerships from Denny Hecker, with plans to buy more. Pohlad Companies, meanwhile, has developed retail centers, office buildings, industrial parks and housing cooperatives through its United Properties business while pursuing the creation of a network of investment sales offices through its NorthMarq business.

Matt McKinney • 612-673-7329

laugh.gif
I've hit on that so many times. Once I saw Papa Pohlad on the Forbes 400 list I went bananas. Tight wads. Stop being so damn frugal and give us fanssome rings. Bastards....

These Pohlad kids have more money than they will ever know what to do with. They want to run their baseball side separately every year and base everything ontheir baseball revenue despite constantly being the villans of Minnesota? Fine.

But again, remember stories such as that one when you read yet again the Twins passed on a FA because of a difference in $500,000 or an extra year.

.....ho hum

Another 8 runs given up.
eyes.gif

Let's do some research shall we? The Twins now given up 7 runs or more 27 times this season.

They have given up TEN RUNS OR MORE already EIGHT times since start of July.

Liriano now leads the American League in losses. This was in today's paper:

Gardenhire acknowledged Liriano would be moved to the bullpen now if the Twins has an obvious replacement.

Another note I found interesting.....this team after 107 games has 55 total stolen bases, 3rd-to-last in the American League. Our guy Gomez has played in 93games and had 240 ABs.....and has a grand total of 10.

Blackburn vs. Carmona tonight....this better be a W.

Dropping 2/3 in Cleveland
sick.gif

We just don't have it this year.

Big series this weekend @ Detroit. If we take 2 of 3 or sweep we're right back into it but we need to have consistent quality starting pitching each day.

Friday
Anthony Swarzak (3-4, 4.25 ERA) .vs. Armando Gallaraga (5-10, 5.22 ERA)
Saturday
Glen Perkins (6-7, 5.95 ERA) .vs. Justin Verlander (12-5, 3.29 ERA)
Sunday
TBA .vs. Jarrod Washburn (8-7, 2.93 ERA)

tired.gif

We're not out of it, that's for sure. However, I'm just not feeling it with these guys this year. No killer instinct.

Move him to the bullpen and hope that he gets his confidence back. He's got too much potential to just outright drop him right now...I still say we wait onhim but a move to the pen would be a good fit for him and the team as of right now.

Just what our bullpen needs, another pitcher with no confidence, send him to AAA.

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

laugh.gif
I've hit on that so many times. Once I saw Papa Pohlad on the Forbes 400 list I went bananas. Tight wads. Stop being so damn frugal and give us fans some rings. Bastards....

The fans are equally to blame, the vikings get blasted by the fans every time they under achieve even if they make the playoffs. The Twins? Awwwe our belovedfranchise gets a pass no matter what they do, let Hunter go for nothing pass....let Santana go for nothing pass......Give away Bartlett for nothingpass......Man until the fans become less apologetic nothing will be done.

let Hunter go for nothing pass....let Santana go for nothing pass......Give away Bartlett for nothing pass......Man until the fans become less apologetic nothing will be done.
I agree about Santana possibly, but there was still no way of knowing how good or bad the prospects we got were gonna be when that deal was made.It's easy now to say a deal with Boston would've been better, but at the time we just didn't know.

Hunter peaked in a Twins uniform and maybe had one more peak year added on in LA, but Twins are very adept at doing this. That is, letting players loose ortrading when their value has peaked, and letting other clubs overpay for a player on the downside. Minny had a plethora of young OF prospects even before theSantana deal that brought over Gomez, so I understood letting him go.

As for Bartlett, he wasn't hitting the ball nearly as well has he has done thus far for TB and he never played 100 games in a season in Minnesota but once.His glove was always nice, but his value at that time was nothing more than a throw-in, as a work in progress.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't mind their philosphy on letting players go, especially those that have already peaked. What I'mdisturbed by is the fact that when we're in the thick of a pennant race, this ownership that has the money, doesn't go out and be proactive aboutwinning a Championship by getting player that pushes the team to that next level when they're already on the cusp.

I could care less about letting hunter go, but for NOTHING, I mean atleast trade him mid season if you have no plans of resigning him, and where are theseplethora of prospects in the outfield?
laugh.gif
I can see the Bartlett thing but still, we got Young. You serious, dude is/was trash.

Santana,
laugh.gif
we should have done the Boston deal, atleast we would have got a star in return.

where are these plethora of prospects in the outfield?
Span was one. Garrett Jones (tearing it up with Pittsburgh), Both Angel Morales and Ben Revere were drafted in '07, Chris Parmelee and JoeBenson in '06. They had Jason Pridie from the rule 5 draft who coincidently went to TB and was traded back to Minny in that same Delmon Young deal.

Kubel and Cuddyer weren't prospects, but both solid players especially Cuddyer who had a great '06. Kubel was always an OF option. Most of those guysweren't and still aren't ready for the Majors, but once you talked on Delmon a few days after losing Hunter, you're looking at talent both MajorLeague ready and guys to fill in a few years down the road.

Losing Jones sucks though.

Originally Posted by kix4kix

Just what our bullpen needs, another pitcher with no confidence, send him to AAA.
Confidence is not our problem in the bullpen....it's that they're all garbage excluding a few.

Dickey (Mr. Meatball), Crain (enough said), Ayala (cut him in June), Mijares (not what we thought he was going to be coming into the season), Duensing, helleven Keppel who was getting a lot of pub around the All-Star break is cracking. Dude has given up at least one run in each of his last 5 appearances, three ofwhich he gave up multiple runs in short work.

All of these guys are below average RPs and it's embarrassing what our bullpen has become. Remember when we had the reputation of having one of the bestbullpens in the bigs?...seems like forever ago. Confidence is not these guys' problems, it's the fact that frankly, a lot of them just suck.

As of right now, the only healthy RPs on our roster that I am content with is Guerrier and Nathan. By the way, did ya'll know that Guerrier has onlyone, single ER in his last EIGHTEEN appearances? That's freaking amazing
eek.gif

Now an idea that I've been formulating lately since we've been struggling with rotation issues right now is that it might not be a bad idea to tryGuerrier as a starter. He did come into the bigs AS a natural starter and we're really hurting in that spot rightnow. Although....he is doing so good in the bullpen I'd almost be afraid to mess with him right now, so it'd definitely be something I'd thinkabout but I ultimately would probably decide against it I think. Anybody ever given that idea consideration?

I think we can return to our title of "having one of the best bullpens in the league" but that's going to have to be next year. Two of our bestrelievers (Pat Neshek and Boof Bonser) haven't even thrown a single pitch this year....Neshek hasn't made an appearance since May 2008 actually. Wedon't know how those guys are going to respond to their injuries, but if they both come back healthy next year I think we'll have a quality bullpenonce again.

This is this year though...and we have to focus on the now.

Most of our problems stem from a starting rotation in disarray. I sense a small degree of disconnect with Gardy and the team. Maybe my altered perception ofhim results in this feeling, but a part of me thinks this team has stopped rallying around him and the front office. The Cabrera trade SHOULD be working.Cabrera currently does what he came here to do, hit in the 2-slot. Ultimately, the rotation has fallen short and will lead us to a .500 season.

I will say this though, bravo to Matt Guerrier for turning his career around. I applaud the grit and resolve in the midst of a pitching staff with cripplingconfidence.

But hey, we're getting a new stadium so everything will magically fix itself, right?

Back
Top Bottom