OFFICIAL Minnesota Twins 2009 Season Thread (87-76)---> AL CENTRAL CHAMPS! Great season guys.

Yeah..Neshek's out for the whole year. I'm starting to wonder if he'll ever bounce back from this
ohwell.gif

By the way..KFAN's talking about this but here's the link to the article on SI.com
[h4]http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/hot_stove/posts/52061-crede-closing-in-on-deal-with-twins[/h4]
[h4]Crede closing in on deal with Twins[/h4] [h4]FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Free agent third baseman Joe Crede's closing in on a deal with the Twins, SI.com has learned.
[/h4]The lifelong White Sox player hit .248 with 17 home runs and 55 RBIs this past year, when he was hampered by a back injury (but still made the AL All-Star team). Crede, 30, has 125 career home runs.

He starred on the 2005 World Series title team, but has had back trouble at different times in his career.

The Twins had been looking at a platoon situation at third base.

It isn't known how much Crede's deal will be worth, but it is expected to be incentive-laden. Minnesota press has reported that's it's likely to top out at $7 million, including incentives.

I'm happy about this...but I see nothing in that article that we haven't seen already
ohwell.gif

^ Who is it that you think they drop from the 25 man roster if Crede comes aboard? Harris or Buscher? I figure they keep on Tolbert for utility purposes.

Hard to say...if you had asked me before Spring Training started I would've said Buscher but word is he's crushing the ball down in FL. I don'thave a guess at this point.

Originally Posted by JPZx

Hard to say...if you had asked me before Spring Training started I would've said Buscher but word is he's crushing the ball down in FL. I don't have a guess at this point.

I'm telling you JPZx, Buscher is gonna be a surprise. That's why I'm wishy washy on signing Crede. He's more proven of course, but I can'ttell you how much I believe Buscher can help this team if he plays like I saw flashes of last year.

Lavelle E. Neal with a report at 10:27..found this part of it real interesting
eek.gif

Also heard tonight that the Twins have made an offer to free agent reliever Juan Cruz as part of a sign-and-trade deal with Arizona. If the offer is accepted, the Twins and D-Backs would have 24 hours to work out a trade, or the contract would be null and void.

I'll be happy to be proven wrong no doubt about it...but as of right now I'm celebrating!

Crede Signed

88926f919a8b85dce39466b0bd92b677d651d878.gif

Doesn't seem like a good fit. His bad back on that concrete field? And he's a pop-up machine which goes against everything twinkies hitters do.

Crede gets view from the other side
Third baseman arrives at Twins camp after nine years in Chicago

URJJzdc2.jpg

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Joe Crede donned a new uniform on Sunday and worked out at a Spring Training complex that was foreign to him.

But there was one familiar thing for Crede during his first official workout as a member of the Twins: the pitcher he faced in live batting practice -- Joe Nathan.

Of the four Twins players facing Nathan in the session, Crede certainly had the most experience off the pitcher based on the many times he'd faced him as a member of the White Sox.

The good news for the third baseman is that after spending his entire career with the White Sox, Crede won't be facing the All-Star closer in games now that the two are teammates.

Crede officially switched sides of the AL Central's noted rivalry on Sunday after signing a one-year, $2.5 million contract with the Twins. It's a deal that could total up to $7 million based on the number of games he plays.

"It takes a little bit to get used to,' Crede said of seeing the Twins logo on the front of his No. 24 jersey, the same number he donned with the Sox. "But it's a good change of scenery, and hopefully it's for the better."

The Twins unveiled their newest acquisition on Sunday in a short press conference, and following it, Crede received quite the rousing introduction to his new team from manager Ron Gardenhire.

"Welcome, Mr. Crede. Now that you've killed us as much as you have, now it's time for you to help us kill other people," Gardenhire said in reference to Crede's seven home runs and 17 RBIs in 11 games against the Twins last season. "And that's about all we need to say."

Although Crede is excited to be with the Twins, he knows it's going to take some time to adjust to the change. He spoke to White Sox first baseman Paul Konerko shortly after finishing the deal with Minnesota.

"I mentioned it is going to be kind of weird," Crede said of facing his former team 18 times this season. "But Konerko said, 'It's only going to be awkward when me and BA [Brian Anderson] are yelling at you from the dugout.'"

Twins general manager Bill Smith said Sunday that the Twins had interest in Crede since the offseason began, but the club's talks with Crede's agent, Scott Boras, truly began heating up just a few weeks ago.

Crede chose the Twins over the Giants, in large part due to the familiarity he already had with the American League Central. The chance to continue to be part of a winning ballclub was also a factor.

"I really admired the way [the Twins] play, and I knew my style was going to fit in with this team," Crede said. "They've got a great group of guys here. They're going to put a competitive team on the field, and as a player, that's all you can ask for -- a chance to get to the postseason. And this team has got a very realistic shot at doing that."

On Friday night, the two sides were finally able to agree on a low-risk, high-reward contract. In addition to his $2.5 million base salary, Crede's contract features escalators based on plate appearances that push the value up in $500,000 increments. Those begin when he reaches 250 plate appearances and accumulate every 25 plate appearances until he reaches 475. He will then receive a $750,000 bonus when he reaches 515 and 540 plate appearances, which would top out the salary at $7 million.

The structure of the contract is to protect the Twins if Crede's injured. Although he passed thorough physicals with three different doctors in the Twin Cities on Friday, Smith acknowledged that there are still question marks about Crede's back.

"We were able to get all of his medical records, and we had our doctors look at them. There is concern," Smith said. "But it's a good deal for both sides. It provides us with the protection we need, and it provides him with the upside that he was looking for."

After playing in just 97 games last season and 47 games in 2007 due to lingering back problems, Crede underwent his second back surgery to repair a herniated disk this past October in Dallas. It was a similar procedure to the one he had done by a different doctor in Los Angeles back in June 2007, but Crede said his recovery this time around was much better.

"I was in L.A. for 10 days, kind of just struggling around the hotel," Crede said. "This time I was on a plane in two days. I could tell a huge difference."

Crede, a Missouri native, made several trips to Arizona over the offseason to get himself back into playing shape following the surgery. The third baseman said that he feels "pretty close" to 100 percent, though he's not able to run at full speed quite yet.

"But I'm not going to burn up the bases this season anyway," said Crede, who has stolen four bases in 798 career games. "As long as I can go out there and feel comfortable at the plate, on the field and running, I'm good."

Crede was able to take part in all of the drills on Sunday. While it was a good first workout for Crede, Gardenhire said that he'll monitor the third baseman over the next few weeks to make sure he's not pushed too quickly.

"He looks ready to go," Gardenhire said. "But we know what he's had in the past, and I know with backs there's probably always going to be good days and bad days. He supposedly has his fixed up pretty good. But I'll still be guarded in the things we do, especially through Spring Training."

Crede is currently on a program to help keep his back loose. He said that based on the program he's on, he's not concerned about playing on the turf in Minnesota.

The addition of Crede not only gives the Twins a right-handed power hitter with 125 career home runs, it also helps solidify an already strong defensive infield. Labeled by many in the league as a Gold Glove-caliber third baseman, Crede will join first baseman Justin Morneau, second baseman Alexi Casilla and shortstop Nick Punto to make up the club's everyday infield.

"That's a fun infield," Gardenhire said. "You've got your power guys on each corner, and you've got your two middle guys that can do a lot of different things."

Crede becomes the 19th different player to play third base for Minnesota since Corey Koskie left after the 2004 season, and the hope for the Twins is that he'll be the one to finally solidify the position.

Crede admitted that his first day with the new team included some nerves, although he said his family was more nervous than he. Crede's wife, Lisa, who is pregnant with their third child, and his two daughters, age 5 and 3, joined him in Fort Myers on Saturday night.

And while it will take some time for everyone to get adjusted to the change of scenery, Crede is looking forward to what the 2009 season will bring. And so are the Twins.
"This is a big signing," Gardenhire said. "He is an impact guy and he can, if he's on the field, be a pretty good addition to this baseball team."

Heads up..these are the Twins Spring Training games that will be broadcasted on TV...first one is this Wednesday

2/25 vs Red Sox @ 6:05 (MLB Network)
2/28 vs Yankees @ 4:00 (MLB Network)
3/1 vs Red Sox @ 12:05 (MLB Network)
3/14 vs Marlins @ 12:05 (FSN)
3/15 vs Yankees @ 12:15 (WFTC29)
3/17 vs Red Sox @ 12:05 (MLB Network)
3/26 vs Reds @ 6:05 (FSN)
3/29 vs Cardinals @ 12:05 (WFTC29)
3/30 vs Rays @ 12:05 (FSN/MLB Network)

gonna be in Florida early March, got tickets to the Orioles game, hopefully I'll be able to go to a couple. I'll post up pictures.

Wish I had season tickets this year
tired.gif

Scott Baker named opening day starter...

Boof getting shoulder surgery...

Scott Baker named opening day starter...

Boof getting shoulder surgery...

Good decision. He's the most experienced.
laugh.gif

Boof's Smoof. Hopefully he can get back to the pitcher he was a few years ago. That would help.

laugh.gif
my boy saw Scott Baker taking the light rail to a game last season. I'm hoping the game is on AM1500 or something today, don't have MLB network.

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

^ Yep, game is on 1500 at 6PM.

Man....baseball season.

alright thanks. And yeah, it hit me like 2 nights ago, it's coming up! my favorite sports season by far.

All of them came in the span of one half-inning...

Young scored from 3rd off a bloop hit and the other 2 runs were tag ups.

All of them came in the span of one half-inning...

Young scored from 3rd off a bloop hit and the other 2 runs were tag ups.

C'mon JPZ. Tag ups was a the term in little league. It's called a sacrifice.
laugh.gif
j/j

Go Delmon Young! dude had a solid 2nd half last year and he's bound to break out this year like his homie Elijah Dukes
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by ElijahDukes

Go Delmon Young! dude had a solid 2nd half last year and he's bound to break out this year like his homie Elijah Dukes
pimp.gif

I drafted Dukes in one of the NT drafts because of the familiarity you and JRAIN or just you, if in fact you are the same person, but regardless, hewould've slipped under my radar without his NT exposure. I think I secured a pretty good pick. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom