Official Mitchell and Ness Thread: Jerseys, Hats, Shirts, Shorts, Questions POST EM UP

recent haul. Excuse the barbies.
image.jpg
Killer pickups! Where did you nab the Heat and Hornets authentics?

The topic of Trucustom is becoming divisive on here. I can understand the stances of both sides about them.

There's always going to be a market for people who want products that closely resemble a licensed or a legitimate popular product at a fraction of the price, so that's why bootlegging exists. Trucustom logically falls under that. If people want to support them, and they can produce what people want, then it's OK within that circle.

But there's going to be people who prefer to go strictly with licensed or legitimate merchandise.

In fairness, at least Trucustom isn't putting out bootleg looking, swap meet quality throwback jerseys that plague society, especially at sporting events.

The funny thing about them is that they're even emulating the Just Don style too.

But I can see Trucustom going the same route as a designer based in Harlem named Dapper Dan if they become highly visible like he did. Dapper Dan used to take logos of expensive designer brands and place them on clothing he customized. Then the brands caught on and sued him on the grounds of copyright infringement, so he had to close his shop due to all of those lawsuits. The irony is that Gucci started working with him within the last few years after suing him decades ago.

So I can see the NBA and even some players trying to sue Trucustom for using their designs and names without a license if they get really big. Don't be shocked if Michael Jordan sues because he has a history of suing for the use of his name, image, and likeness without his agreement.

The topic of Trucustom is becoming divisive on here. I can understand the stances of both sides about them.

There's always going to be a market for people who want products that closely resemble a licensed or a legitimate popular product at a fraction of the price, so that's why bootlegging exists. Trucustom logically falls under that. If people want to support them, and they can produce what people want, then it's OK within that circle.

But there's going to be people who prefer to go strictly with licensed or legitimate merchandise.

In fairness, at least Trucustom isn't putting out bootleg looking, swap meet quality throwback jerseys that plague society, especially at sporting events.

The funny thing about them is that they're even emulating the Just Don style too.

But I can see Trucustom going the same route as a designer based in Harlem named Dapper Dan if they become highly visible like he did. Dapper Dan used to take logos of expensive designer brands and place them on clothing he customized. Then the brands caught on and sued him on the grounds of copyright infringement, so he had to close his shop due to all of those lawsuits. The irony is that Gucci started working with him within the last few years after suing him decades ago.

So I can see the NBA and even some players trying to sue Trucustom for using their designs and names without a license if they get really big. Don't be shocked if Michael Jordan sues because he has a history of suing for the use of his name, image, and likeness without his agreement.

Dapper Dan is a good comparison. Without the logos/names, the Trucustoms stuff wouldn’t be blatant fakes imo.

Dude is clearly talented. The Just Dons are really egregious. And it’s basically a way for people to get authentic-looking versions of jerseys they can’t find or want to pay an authentic (read on-court/game-worn) price for.

If he was using blanks it’d be different too.

His work looks good. But definitely not the fraction of the cost of M&N for the most part. Being his jerseys are like $250-$265. It’s pretty close.

His work looks good. But definitely not the fraction of the cost of M&N for the most part. Being his jerseys are like $250-$265. It’s pretty close.

250-265 is a fraction of what it would cost to get actual game issued versions of a lot of his jerseys.

I don’t think he’s necessarily trying to make them look like M&N (other than the fake Dons). Part of the draw seems to be a lot of his stuff looks closer to the game worn stuff than some M&N stuff.

TruCustom is what I hoped Rivalry Sports could be in terms of decent turnaround time.

As for the debate on the legitimacy of their stuff. They make decent jerseys which at times are more accurate than their m&n counterparts. I plan to cop a few things from him after having seen some of his stuff that a friend got first hand.

At this point m&n is a fashion brand. They don’t care about accuracy and details, and their priority is more so pushing swingmans than authentics (which I understand their reasoning on).

i havent copped from trucustoms but i plan to in the future... i like that he can make jerseys M&N dont make and that they are the exact size you wear... compared to mitchell and ness a 40 is to small and a 44 is kinda big so im in between... i have to alter the jersey everytime...

what size you get? I’m get a XL then but I don’t like if the length is gonna be short and wide like a box shape

Got an XL. I wear an XL/48 in both M&N authentics and BP jerseys, and this one was too small for me all the way around.

I'll just add:
Trucustoms doesn't really emulate anything. You approach him with an idea and he executes. He doesn't make "just don" style shorts to sell.

With that pair of shorts, I'm almost sure the customer sent him the shorts and he slapped a big "LAKERS" on the front.

I don't even think the topic is divisive. One guy said they were fakes and that guy hasn't said much since.

M&N is technically fake too. 2000s NFL jerseys doesn't have the Reebok logo and 90s NFL doesn't have the Nike, Starter, and Puma logo.

They're licensed though.

Way less accurate and a whole different business philosophy nowadays, but still genuine, authentic merchandise for those that care.

Back
Top Bottom