Official MLB Offseason Post: Michael Young asks for a trade.

Originally Posted by GotHolesInMySocks

Originally Posted by WearinTheFourFive

This Delacruz kid getting signed is better than the Japanese guy (still havent learned his name) and DeJesus combined. Hopefully he turns into our next Tejada.
pimp.gif

my cousin who lives in the dominican republic told me he saw Vicmal De La Cruz play out there and he said dude is gonna be the real deal.

he also said to watch out for Edwin Moreno, OF

One thing I've heard about him a lot is that he's really undersized and can't hit a breaking pitch.

keep bringing the goods, Pro.
pimp.gif

but...
Originally Posted by wildKYcat

Originally Posted by Proshares

Phillips, Rolen, Gonzalez and Victorino should not be getting Gold Gloves.
you can make a case for someone over Rolen, and i could respect it... but over Brandon?  seriously?  who?

nerd.gif
  just tell me i ain't buggin' and forgot about someone...

keep bringing the goods, Pro.
pimp.gif

but...
Originally Posted by wildKYcat

Originally Posted by Proshares

Phillips, Rolen, Gonzalez and Victorino should not be getting Gold Gloves.
you can make a case for someone over Rolen, and i could respect it... but over Brandon?  seriously?  who?

nerd.gif
  just tell me i ain't buggin' and forgot about someone...

Chase Utley, he's been the best defensive 2b for like 5 years now, he's pretty much been the most valuble defender at any position for the past three years. Accoding to Bill James over the least 5 years he's saved over 60 runs with his glove, next closest 2B is Mark Ellis with 33 runs saved.

Chase Utley, he's been the best defensive 2b for like 5 years now, he's pretty much been the most valuble defender at any position for the past three years. Accoding to Bill James over the least 5 years he's saved over 60 runs with his glove, next closest 2B is Mark Ellis with 33 runs saved.

i like Utley... and i like #'s... but i like watching baseball better than looking at all those stats.  you're not gonna convince me that there's a play on the diamond that Utley can make, that BP can't.

and considering Utley missed 50 games or so... and yes, i know players like Keith Hernandez have missed a ton of games in a season in which they still won a gold glove...

i like Utley... and i like #'s... but i like watching baseball better than looking at all those stats.  you're not gonna convince me that there's a play on the diamond that Utley can make, that BP can't.

and considering Utley missed 50 games or so... and yes, i know players like Keith Hernandez have missed a ton of games in a season in which they still won a gold glove...

The Rangers are going to chase Victor Martinez AND Cliff Lee, and have money in the budget for both...

Chuck and Nolan are not $*%%%*# around...
pimp.gif

The Rangers are going to chase Victor Martinez AND Cliff Lee, and have money in the budget for both...

Chuck and Nolan are not $*%%%*# around...
pimp.gif

Yankees don't $@%* around. If it's money, he'll come to New York but if they offer similar contracts...and I've heard he liked his time in Texas.

He'll probably end up there.

Victor is good, but he isn't great and too many people talk about him like he is. I wonder if they'll overpay for him.

Yankees don't $@%* around. If it's money, he'll come to New York but if they offer similar contracts...and I've heard he liked his time in Texas.

He'll probably end up there.

Victor is good, but he isn't great and too many people talk about him like he is. I wonder if they'll overpay for him.

The Yanks will have to way overbid to push the Rangers out with money, I think... Unless the Rangers think they can go get a guy like Greinke without gutting their system.. Cliff may end up in New York, but unless the Yanks really blow their loads, the money won't be way..

On Martinez.. I don't think he's great. But he's really good. He can hit. He can catch, DH and play first.. That versatility would be nice for the Rangers to have in case Mitch Moreland goes back to not being able to hit lefties.. But he's also not great behind the dish, so he doesn't fit what the Rangers have generally emphasized back there the last couple of years.. I'd be all for bringing him here, he's by far the best option out there, but I'd be careful.

It's just nice to hear the Rangers have cash and are going to really push the budget for a change. Settling in somewhere around $90M or a little more should be the standard for a team in this market.

The Yanks will have to way overbid to push the Rangers out with money, I think... Unless the Rangers think they can go get a guy like Greinke without gutting their system.. Cliff may end up in New York, but unless the Yanks really blow their loads, the money won't be way..

On Martinez.. I don't think he's great. But he's really good. He can hit. He can catch, DH and play first.. That versatility would be nice for the Rangers to have in case Mitch Moreland goes back to not being able to hit lefties.. But he's also not great behind the dish, so he doesn't fit what the Rangers have generally emphasized back there the last couple of years.. I'd be all for bringing him here, he's by far the best option out there, but I'd be careful.

It's just nice to hear the Rangers have cash and are going to really push the budget for a change. Settling in somewhere around $90M or a little more should be the standard for a team in this market.

[h1]http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/11/as-claim-edwin-encarnacion.html
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/11/as-claim-edwin-encarnacion.html[h1][h1]A's Claim Edwin Encarnacion[/h1]
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [November 12, 2010 at 2:16pm CST]

The A's claimed Edwin Encarnacion off of waivers from the Blue Jays, according to the teams. The third baseman hit 21 home runs last year, more than anyone on the A's. Encarnacion batted .244/.305/.482 and reached the 20-homer plateau for the second time in his six-year career. Oakland GM Billy Beane, who acquired David DeJesus earlier in the week, continues his busy offseason search for bats.

The Blue Jays lost Encarnacion for nothing, but that's no surprise. The 27-year-old earned $4.75MM in 2010 and could have earned even more through arbitration in 2011, so he was anon-tender candidate.

Another non-tender candidateKevin Kouzmanoff, now faces an uncertain future in Oakland. Encarnacion has played all but nine innings of his big league career at third base, Kouzmanoff’s position. The A’s also have Conor JacksonRajai DavisCoco CrispRyan SweeneyJack Cust and DeJesus, so there won’t be many at bats to spare at DH. It appears that Kouzmanoff’s days in Oakland are numbered, especially since he and Encarnacion couldn't platoon (both handle lefties better than righties).

The Blue Jays, meanwhile, have an opening at third base. Jose Bautista played 48 games at the hot corner in 2010, John McDonald can play third and prospect Brad Emaus has experience there, too. However, it seems likely that the Blue Jays will consider acquiring a third baseman through trades or free agency.
[/h1]
[/h1]

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/11/as-claim-edwin-encarnacion.html[h1][h1]A's Claim Edwin Encarnacion[/h1]

The A's claimed Edwin Encarnacion off of waivers from the Blue Jays, according to the teams. The third baseman hit 21 home runs last year, more than anyone on the A's. Encarnacion batted .244/.305/.482 and reached the 20-homer plateau for the second time in his six-year career. Oakland GM Billy Beane, who acquired David DeJesus earlier in the week, continues his busy offseason search for bats.

The Blue Jays lost Encarnacion for nothing, but that's no surprise. The 27-year-old earned $4.75MM in 2010 and could have earned even more through arbitration in 2011, so he was anon-tender candidate.

Another non-tender candidateKevin Kouzmanoff, now faces an uncertain future in Oakland. Encarnacion has played all but nine innings of his big league career at third base, Kouzmanoff’s position. The A’s also have Conor JacksonRajai DavisCoco CrispRyan SweeneyJack Cust and DeJesus, so there won’t be many at bats to spare at DH. It appears that Kouzmanoff’s days in Oakland are numbered, especially since he and Encarnacion couldn't platoon (both handle lefties better than righties).

The Blue Jays, meanwhile, have an opening at third base. Jose Bautista played 48 games at the hot corner in 2010, John McDonald can play third and prospect Brad Emaus has experience there, too. However, it seems likely that the Blue Jays will consider acquiring a third baseman through trades or free agency.
[/h1]
[/h1]

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

On Martinez.. I don't think he's great. But he's really good. He can hit. He can catch, DH and play first.. That versatility would be nice for the Rangers to have in case Mitch Moreland goes back to not being able to hit lefties..

Do you think Moreland has a future with the Rangers?  The postseason was the first time I saw him play and he always seemed to be getting hits every time.

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

On Martinez.. I don't think he's great. But he's really good. He can hit. He can catch, DH and play first.. That versatility would be nice for the Rangers to have in case Mitch Moreland goes back to not being able to hit lefties..

Do you think Moreland has a future with the Rangers?  The postseason was the first time I saw him play and he always seemed to be getting hits every time.

VMart on the Tigs is a good thing. Good protection around Miggy plus filling in for sub.200 hitters is always helpful.

VMart on the Tigs is a good thing. Good protection around Miggy plus filling in for sub.200 hitters is always helpful.

Originally Posted by bbllplaya23

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/11/as-claim-edwin-encarnacion.html[h1][/h1][h1]A's Claim Edwin Encarnacion[/h1]

[/h1]

One of 4 options here:

1) Leverage to trade Kuzmanoff + prospects for a power bat
2) Encarnacion moves to RF
3) DH split with Cust
4) Encarnacion is Non-tendered

Given the fact that the ENTIRE core of the A's Pitching staff is centered around the groundball (that includes Iwakuma), there's no chance they put that butcher Encarnacion at 3rd to replace a plus-defender in Kooooooz.  Even though Koooz's bat sucked this year,  Encarnacion's bat doesn't make up for the glove differential.

Originally Posted by bbllplaya23

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/11/as-claim-edwin-encarnacion.html[h1][/h1][h1]A's Claim Edwin Encarnacion[/h1]

[/h1]

One of 4 options here:

1) Leverage to trade Kuzmanoff + prospects for a power bat
2) Encarnacion moves to RF
3) DH split with Cust
4) Encarnacion is Non-tendered

Given the fact that the ENTIRE core of the A's Pitching staff is centered around the groundball (that includes Iwakuma), there's no chance they put that butcher Encarnacion at 3rd to replace a plus-defender in Kooooooz.  Even though Koooz's bat sucked this year,  Encarnacion's bat doesn't make up for the glove differential.

Back
Top Bottom