Official MMA Thread-UFC on FOX 3, 5/5/12 - Anyone asking for stream links = banned.

^yep.

So middleweights for TUF 11, lets pray Mousasi drops weight and joins (
indifferent.gif
laugh.gif
)

I really want to see the dude in the UFC though.

Originally Posted by Clutchshooter

Originally Posted by TheHealthInspector

grin.gif

not much to say for the rest of the fights other than frankie edgar is a beast, guy's takedown defense was ridiculous, but his size will eventually be his downfall, as talented as he is he's just too small for the top fighters
there's no rush to drop frankie to featherweight just yet. although he would pretty much reign over 145 for all eternity. and yes, im accounting for aldo, faber, and brown.

he's only got one defeat on his record and it was to gray who isnt just huge at 155 but a guy who's wrestling would give most fighters in the division problems.

i just want to see one of the two of them get the next title shot as it's well earned for either.

I want to preface by saying that I am an admitted BJ Penn nuthugger, apologist, etc... etc... whatever you wanna call it. Hell I thought BJ stood a chanceagainst GSP, and if they run it again I would back BJ again.

I don't see Frankie Edgar gettin that strap as long as BJ is motivated and brings it 100% to every fight. The matchups at 145 are much more intriguingthan they are at 155. I don't know if I'd go as far as to say that he would reign for all eternity, but I think he would be a lot to handle for any ofthe 3 fighters you mentioned. I just with they could work something out to give the 145 division more love on the big stage (UFC) so that fighters would notbe hesitant about dropping down and fighting on Versus rather than PPV or Spike.

As far as the rest of the card, I thought it was pretty solid. Glad I didn't bet at all this event or else I would be eating PB&J + water for the nextyear as I was going to bet the house on Jon Jones (luckily my bookie didnt put up a line on it til after I checked).

Roy Nelson was my pre-season pick to win it, and its no surprise that he did. Dude is a legit fighter going up against a lot of prospects. It was histournament to lose.

Thoughts on Hendo to Strikeforce anyone?

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

Originally Posted by TheHealthInspector

grin.gif

not much to say for the rest of the fights other than frankie edgar is a beast, guy's takedown defense was ridiculous, but his size will eventually be his downfall, as talented as he is he's just too small for the top fighters
there's no rush to drop frankie to featherweight just yet. although he would pretty much reign over 145 for all eternity. and yes, im accounting for aldo, faber, and brown.

he's only got one defeat on his record and it was to gray who isnt just huge at 155 but a guy who's wrestling would give most fighters in the division problems.

i just want to see one of the two of them get the next title shot as it's well earned for either.

Dana is one of the most unprofessional president i have ever seen in my LIFE! This guy is letting a HUGE fighter leave after one of the mostamazing KO's in recent time. His hatred and favoritism is effecting him in so many ways. (this is if it was Dana's fault which is what im reading)

edit: i see him doing great in Strikeforce and then everyone is gonna say he was scared to anderson silva which better not happen

Hendos opponents @ SF:

Mids - Diaz, Shields, Lawler, Lindland, Le, Mayhem, Frank (he can take everyone in this division)

He'll be champ in 2010 if he decides to go Mid

LHW - Mousasi, Calvacante, Lawal, Babalu, Sokouju (
sick.gif
), Whitehead

As a Mousasi nuthugger, I dont see him leaving that belt for a long time. In my eyes he's Anderson 2.0.

n's was Dun Dada!!
smh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
my stomach hurts now

I want to preface by saying that I am an admitted BJ Penn nuthugger, apologist, etc... etc... whatever you wanna call it. Hell I thought BJ stood a chance against GSP, and if they run it again I would back BJ again.
for the sake of all your funds and material possessions, dont do that.
laugh.gif

I don't see Frankie Edgar gettin that strap as long as BJ is motivated and brings it 100% to every fight. The matchups at 145 are much more intriguing than they are at 155. I don't know if I'd go as far as to say that he would reign for all eternity, but I think he would be a lot to handle for any of the 3 fighters you mentioned. I just with they could work something out to give the 145 division more love on the big stage (UFC) so that fighters would not be hesitant about dropping down and fighting on Versus rather than PPV or Spike.

the ufc has needed that featherweight division for a while now. it's got legit talent and depth and would to a great deal to curb all these bunk mainevents they've been having. even as a hardcore fan and even with big names, it's not the same unless there's a strap involved.

there would definitely be some solid matchups for edgar at 145. frankie's got the type of game suited to bully faber, much like mike brown and tysongriffin did. i think frankie wins that one 9 out of 10 times. brown would be the most entertaining as both guys would likely plod straight to the centre of thecage and start throwing hands. aldo probably gives him the most challenge as he's quickly becoming one of the more dynamic strikers in the game. butfranklie suddenly becomes the bigger man at 145 and he's done very well as the small guy thus far. i maintain that there's no need for the time beingas his record is sparkling.

i wanna see the contracts. both with the ufc and strikeforce.

how much could he have been asking for that the ufc refused to sign one of the top 5 mixed martial artists of all time?

reports he'll likely get a title shot at either 205 or 185 in April.

hendo vs mousasi is a superfight.

hendo vs. shields is putting a bear in a cage with a racoon. then slathering that racoon with salmon and snickers bars.

I want to preface by saying that I am an admitted BJ Penn nuthugger, apologist, etc... etc... whatever you wanna call it. Hell I thought BJ stood a chance against GSP, and if they run it again I would back BJ again.
laugh.gif

I don't see Frankie Edgar gettin that strap as long as BJ is motivated and brings it 100% to every fight. The matchups at 145 are much more intriguing than they are at 155. I don't know if I'd go as far as to say that he would reign for all eternity, but I think he would be a lot to handle for any of the 3 fighters you mentioned. I just with they could work something out to give the 145 division more love on the big stage (UFC) so that fighters would not be hesitant about dropping down and fighting on Versus rather than PPV or Spike.

the ufc has needed that featherweight division for a while now. it's got legit talent and depth and would to a great deal to curb all these bunk mainevents they've been having. even as a hardcore fan and even with big names, it's not the same unless there's a strap involved.

there would definitely be some solid matchups for edgar at 145. frankie's got the type of game suited to bully faber, much like mike brown and tysongriffin did. i think frankie wins that one 9 out of 10 times. brown would be the most entertaining as both guys would likely plod straight to the centre of thecage and start throwing hands. aldo probably gives him the most challenge as he's quickly becoming one of the more dynamic strikers in the game. butfranklie suddenly becomes the bigger man at 145 and he's done very well as the small guy thus far. i maintain that there's no need for the time beingas his record is sparkling.

how much could he have been asking for that the ufc refused to sign one of the top 5 mixed martial artists of all time?

hendo vs. shields is putting a bear in a cage with a racoon. then slathering that racoon with salmon and snickers bars.

laugh.gif

I've already addressed the Henderson thing when it all came out a couple months ago:
While I think Hendo is in fact a legend, and one of the best MMA fighters ever, I just can't truly believe that he is the draw that a lot of the top paid fighters are. People aren't paid in MMA based on ability. That's just the cold hard facts.

Dan deserves every dollar he can get, but stacked up against known draws like Chuck, Brock, Randy, BJ and the likes, I don't think he brings as much to the table from a "butt in seats/PPV buys" standpoint.

His star rose in Japan, plain and simple, and he's not the certified North American draw that the top earning fighters are.

We can talk about what he deserves and what he means to the sport, but quite frankly, signing Dan Henderson to top dollar may not be in the best interest ofthe UFC.

It does, though, make sense to Strikeforce.

[h1]Jake Shields open to Strikeforce title defense against Dan Henderson[/h1]
by Dann Stupp on Dec 07, 2009 at 5:35 pm ET
jake-shields-7.jpg
Just hours after Strikeforce announced the signing of former UFC fighter Dan Henderson, one potential opponent said he's open to a matchup.

Henderson, who struck out on a potential second middleweight title shot against UFC champion Anderson Silva before signing a four-fight deal with Strikeforce, apparently won't face similar roadblocks at his new home.

Strikeforce's recently crowned middleweight champion, Jake Shields, stated he considers Henderson "a legend" and would "happily give him a shot at my belt."

Shields posted the comments on his personal Twitter account.

"Hendo (has) always been one of my [favorite] fighters," Shields wrote. "Huge signing for Strikeforce."

Henderson, a former two-belt holder for PRIDE Fighting Championships (until the UFC purchased and disbanded the promotion), bounced between the UFC's middleweight and light heavyweight divisions upon his return in 2007. He fell short in his title shots in both weight classes, and his run toward a second middleweight title fight fell short when negotiations with the UFC fell apart following his July knockout win over Michael Bisping.

Henderson instead signed with Strikeforce and is expected to be part of the organization's CBS cards. Strikeforce recently signed a deal with the U.S. network, and sources close to organization told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that CBS executives heavily pushed for the Henderson signing and plan to feature him prominently on its broadcasts.

Shields, in fact, defeated Jason "Mayhem" Miller for the title in the co-main event of Strikeforce's debut show on CBS.

Strikeforce hasn't set a timetable for Henderon's promotional debut, though both Shields and Strikeforce light heavyweight champion Gegard Mousasi are considered likely options for the fighter.

Henderson (25-7), a collegiate wrestling standout who represented the U.S. Olympic teams in 1992 and 1996, has won three consecutive fights and has defeated a host of jiu-jitsu fighters in his 13-year career. Shields (24-4-1), meanwhile, has won 13 consecutive fights and hasn't tasted defeat in nearly five years while racking up wins over the likes of Robbie Lawler, Paul Daley, Carlos Condit and Yushin Okami.

Strikeforce currently has Showtime-televised events set for Dec. 19 and Jan. 30, though no date has been set for a probable second CBS event.

In my mind, this fight would be a lot like the Hendo vs. Rousimar "Paul Harris", but with Heno having no respect for Jake's groundgame.

That doesn't even sound like fun unless Jake gets knocked out.

Throwing what would assume was a good amount of $$$ Hendo's way, I think Strikeforce is going about their business the wrong way.

kimbo did a fine job at his ufc debut. that suplex/takedown/slam he did on houston was nice! training at ATT is gonna make him a better all around fighter. andthat weight cut definitely afftected him a lot.

big baby is in serious need of a good striking coach. dude always leaves his head wide open. its so awkward watching walk around like a damn Frankenstein.other than that his ground game is good and will be a problem against his weight class.

roy had that best chance of winning the whole thing and i was right. watching him beat up mcswiener was one fo the best moments in the show. that KO on brendanwas unexpected. however i dont think hes gonna take the hw title the way he is now.

and about dan henderson going to strikeforce... all the fighters in the middleweight and lhw division in sf are now scared. mousasi has the best chance againsthim. i dont think hes got the KO power so his best chance is to go for a sub.

Originally Posted by New Wu

Anybody else can't wait for the Best of 2009? I'm dying with anticipation.
should be aight i guess...a lot of great fights, but i already have seen or have them all

news

- rogerio nogueira vs. brandon vera @ UFC 109.

- renzo may still debut but not against matt hughes.

- 'The Striking Truth' a Canadian documentary filmed in 2006 gives viewers an in-depth look at the ups and downs of the sport as it chronicles the riseof Georges St. Pierre to World Champion as well as the struggles of David Loiseau as his career begins to falter. The film will debut in 2010 at the TorontoFilm Festival.

I was watching the penn/sanchez countdown last night and this dude frank mir just keeps on talkin smack!!!! Hopefully Kongo catches him first and knocks himout
pimp.gif

news

- rogerio nogueira vs. brandon vera @ UFC 109.

I'm glad they're giving Vera ANOTHER big chance to redeem himself...but to a dangerous opponent. If hedoesn't get this %*%@ together for this fight I don't think he'll be staying with the org in 2010.

as well as the struggles of David Loiseau as his career begins to falter
tired.gif
big waste of talent.

Originally Posted by piczon1983

I was watching the penn/sanchez countdown last night and this dude frank mir just keeps on talkin smack!!!! Hopefully Kongo catches him first and knocks him out
pimp.gif

He actually thinks he could be Brock
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom