Official MMA Thread-UFC on FOX 3, 5/5/12 - Anyone asking for stream links = banned.

Originally Posted by venom lyrix

anyone else excited for TUF with Brock and Junior?
Only because I get to win some $$$ on JDS at the end of the season
laugh.gif
I'm hoping more people bet on Brock, dude is so scared of getting hit.

^
yeah, the 2 most likely scenarios are that brock gets tko'd or junior gets gnp'ed.  we haven't seen junior's tdd defense yet, but dude is pretty fast and athletic.

he said he was surprised that brock was such a nice guy during the taping of the show.

i read a story on how fans voted that duke roufus's camp was the best one in america.  not really sure how that happened, weird choice.

^Pettis Kick is all I can think of.  Excellent strikers.
Myles Jury sounds like the favorite for the show and JDS is gonna smash Brock in Vancouver... I hope 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by shogun

i read a story on how fans voted that duke roufus's camp was the best one in america.  not really sure how that happened, weird choice.
My choice honestly goes to AKA

They got the HW Champ, and the #2 and #3 WW in the UFC

Originally Posted by drock2010

AKA or Jackson's Camp (although I do hate a lot of Jackson fighters)

Sooo, Fitch is out of 132. Who do you think should replace him? My personal choice would be Condit or Koscheck. See how my boy Baby Jay stacks up against some of the better strikers in WW.
pimp.gif
I was thinking that Fitch would probably have won the rematch, so this is good for me.

I think it's gonna be Condit as well because I forgot Kos just got the last title shot. I feel bad for Fitch, Dana will no doubt use this as another tool to keep Jon out of title contention.

I missed last night's episode of TUF, but I heard Brock's team lost. Was the fight entertaining at least?

Originally Posted by an dee 51o

Originally Posted by drock2010

AKA or Jackson's Camp (although I do hate a lot of Jackson fighters)

Sooo, Fitch is out of 132. Who do you think should replace him? My personal choice would be Condit or Koscheck. See how my boy Baby Jay stacks up against some of the better strikers in WW.
pimp.gif
I was thinking that Fitch would probably have won the rematch, so this is good for me.
laugh.gif
I dont like almost everyone at Jacksons camp, they act like they are on an MMA pedestal, Jacksons doesnt make great fighters he gets good athletes and gets them wins.

As for BJ Penn replacement I think Koscheck would be an obvious good choice, other than GSP and Fitch I dont see who can beat Kos, maybe Penn can.

Originally Posted by chino905

I missed last night's episode of TUF, but I heard Brock's team lost. Was the fight entertaining at least?

Literally one of the most BORING lop sided fights in TUF history.

damn TUF better step it up next week.

And who's watching Bellator 39 this Saturday on MTV2?!
nerd.gif

Eddie Alvarez defending his belt, and Ben Killa B Saunders will be on the card too
pimp.gif

damn TUF better step it up next week.

nerd.gif

Eddie Alvarez defending his belt, and Ben Killa B Saunders will be on the card too
pimp.gif
good lookin out.  I need to set my DVR.  I just wish I had MTV2 in HD.  F U Time Warner Cable.

BJ vs Thiago Alves is intriguing to me. Not sure but Kos' might still need time off and is coming off a loss. Condit would be good but I'd rather see Pitbull.

Originally Posted by BC2310

BJ vs Thiago Alves is intriguing to me. Not sure but Kos' might still need time off and is coming off a loss. Condit would be good but I'd rather see Pitbull.
I think it's gonna be Condit because Pitbull is only on a one fight winning streak, and I'm assuming this is still the #1 contender fight.

nerd.gif

pimp.gif
Alvarez is
pimp.gif
I've never seen someone handle Huerta like he did. I wanna see him in the Octagon ASAP.

Originally Posted by BC2310

I forgot about Thiago Alves. Damn 170 is stacked. Maybe they should do that fight and then have Kos fight Condit. The winner of each fight fight each other. Ultimately I would pick BJ and Koscheck to face each other. 

[h1]Alvarez itching for challenge, not UFC
ESPN.com
[h1]
mma_s_eddiets_576.jpg
 [/h1]
For the past five months, Bellator Fighting Championships lightweight titleholder Eddie Alvarez has waited for a challenger to emerge.

The wait ends Saturday night (MTV2 at 9 ET) for Alvarez, who will defend his belt against Pat Curran at Bellator 39 at Mohegan Sun in Uncasville, Conn. Being on the sideline for several months, however, did not sit well with Alvarez.

"The belt is great, but I'd rather fight more and not have the belt," Alvarez told ESPN.com. "I'd like to stay a little more active; having the belt has done nothing but keep me from fighting five times a year."

Although Alvarez found it difficult adjusting to his extended layoff at times, he coped by often examining the alternatives. None were appealing enough to convince him to part ways with Bellator.

Consistently ranked among the world's top five 155-pound mixed martial artists, Alvarez (21-2-0) receives a lot of criticism for not competing against the best in his weight class.

The highest-ranked lightweights, sans Alvarez, are under contract with Zuffa, LLC -- the parent company of UFC and Strikeforce. Though Alvarez possesses the talent to compete with -- and possibly defeat -- any of today's top lightweights, signing with Zuffa isn't an option for him in the foreseeable future.

"A lot of it has to do with the contract agreements," said Alvarez, 27. "The pay is one of them. I am able to make myself indispensable; a lot of UFC fighters are here today and gone tomorrow. They're dispensable.

"I don't want to make myself dispensable. I want my bosses to look at me as a key asset to their promotions, not just another pawn.

"It has to do with control issues, me deciding my own fate and making my own money. Right now in my career, I feel very comfortable with Bellator. I feel I'm where I'm supposed to be."

A more active schedule is something Alvarez can't control. Bellator operates under a tournament-style format. The winner of the tournament earns a shot at the champion.

And while a challenger was being decided, Alvarez had to wait. His inactivity could make the heavily favored champion vulnerable against Curran.

Curran (12-3-0) landed the chance to face Alvarez by defeating several of Bellator's top 155-pound fighters during its 2010 lightweight tournament. His most recent victory came against favored Toby Imada -- a split decision in June 2010.

During that time, Curran -- the cousin of MMA veteran Jeff Curran -- has kept a busy fight schedule. Jeff Curran also serves as Pat Curran's head coach.

"My advantage will be my wrestling and ground skills, because it comes more naturally," Pat told ESPN.com. "And I've been staying competitive, competing in grappling tournaments since my fight with Imada."

The extra competition has allowed Curran to maintain his timing, which is essential if he is to upset Alvarez. Curran is a diminutive lightweight who is probably better suited for the bantamweight division.

He plans to offset his size disadvantage against Alvarez, a large lightweight, with quickness. Curran is exceptionally fast, both standing and on the ground.

[h4][/h4]
"He's a natural 145-pounder, so the speed of his fight is going to be a little different," Alvarez said. "I'm a huge believer in speed; speed kills.

"People say that he's undersized, but that just means he's faster. He's a little bit more of a threat.

"He has good natural instincts. I'm not looking past him by any means."

Alvarez believes he has the best training partner to help get him ready to neutralize Curran's quickness: UFC lightweight champ Frankie Edgar. The two train regularly near Alvarez's home in Philadelphia or at Ricardo Almeida's gym in Hamilton, N.J.

Training with Edgar serves two purposes for Alvarez: It keeps him sharp during periods when there is no fight on his docket, and it allows him to go head-to-head with one of MMA's best lightweights.

Alvarez and Edgar are close friends, but during sparring sessions they hold nothing back.

"[Frankie Edgar] and I are very well matched, so it's constant competition," Alvarez said. "I don't want him to get one up on me, and he doesn't want me to get one up on him, so it's a constant battle."

Holding his own against ESPN.com's top-rated lightweight helps quench Alvarez's competitive thirst and, ironically, strengthens his resolve to remain with his current promotion. One of the benefits of competing in Bellator, as Alvarez sees it, is not worrying about being released if he loses his title belt.

"It's not so much the championship, but being able to go in there and take risks and fight like I want to fight," Alvarez said. "At the end of the day, I'm not worried about whether I will get fired or not.

"My promotion knows that on a consistent basis, win or lose, that I put on fights, that I put my time in and that I am a great employee and a great asset to the company. In UFC, they lose sight of that.

"They lose sight of a guy, just because he lost two or lost three, they look at him as no good to their company. He's not an asset anymore, he's not marketable.

"It doesn't have much to do with the win or loss, rather than a guy who consistently goes out there and puts on exciting fights."

Long but interesting article on why Alvarez wants to stay in Bellator instead of going to the UFC for now.
[/h1]

alvarez makes a good point about job security and the company being loyal to him, but i don't think bellator can find anyone to challenge him.  they have good, young fighters but he'll destroy most of them.  having a non-exclusive contract seemed good a year ago, but now his options are limited with strikeforce being bought and the japanese orgs being bankrupt.  it'd be a shame if we don't get to see him fight the other top lightweights.  

Good for Saunders...dude has lots of talent, just needs to put it together consistently.

I like what I've seen from Rick Hawn so far. Sick, sick judo...reminds me of Akiyama, kinda (minus the Sexyama aspect
laugh.gif
).

ps if you guys haven't taken a look already, please check out the NT Japan relief thread. We are very, very close to $7k in donations, a goal that, if reached, will result in Meth and Co putting up $13k of NT ad revenue to make our total contribution $20,000. Everything helps! Enjoy the weekend, fellas.

Back
Top Bottom