Official MMA Thread-UFC on FOX 3, 5/5/12 - Anyone asking for stream links = banned.

met big nog ,lil nog, anderson silva,brandon vera,,phil davis today will try and get the pics up tomorrow,, phil is a real cool guy,, actually they all are,,

^^ Can't wait to see those pics.

And Eddie Alvarez with a successful title defense last night by UD. His footwork and boxing is top notch.

i never really noticed before but eddie uses that lunging right hand a lot.  looked weird.  fight was ok.  eddie should've used more legkicks like he did against huerta.  those were brutal.

Vera looking like he wants to make a return to HW 
laugh.gif

vera looks like an ogre.
is that phil davis chick with the purple hair?  she looks kinda nice.

Originally Posted by Burn916

Good for Saunders...dude has lots of talent, just needs to put it together consistently.

I like what I've seen from Rick Hawn so far. Sick, sick judo...reminds me of Akiyama, kinda (minus the Sexyama aspect
laugh.gif
).

ps if you guys haven't taken a look already, please check out the NT Japan relief thread. We are very, very close to $7k in donations, a goal that, if reached, will result in Meth and Co putting up $13k of NT ad revenue to make our total contribution $20,000. Everything helps! Enjoy the weekend, fellas.
I haven't seen a lot of Hawn's fights (just the last 2 Bellator ones) and honestly I wasn't that impressed.  Thank goodness he got that late takedown to steal the 3rd and save me on my +180 bet I had on him.  

Can someone with a bit more expertise school me (someone who has ZERO technical knowlege) on judo?  Is judo traditionally more "trip" heavy or "throw" heavy?  I didn't really see Hawn attempt that many throws.  It looks like he tried to go for more trips.  As an uneducated fan, I'm always extra
happy.gif
 when I see a judoka throw a dude through the air and onto a mat, but sometimes I don't even know what to be looking for, or what type of setups there are to go for throws.  I mean... I can't imagine that a lot of MMA fighters train much judo, if at all.  What throws might be available for a high level judok against an unsuspecting opponent?  From what position is it most common to setup throws?  Do you want to have double underhooks? over/under? I cant imagine there are a ton of throws available from double overhooks?

Thanks in advance.

i will be going to the strike force event this weekend have pretty good seats so will bring some pics of that night

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

Can someone with a bit more expertise school me (someone who has ZERO technical knowlege) on judo?  Is judo traditionally more "trip" heavy or "throw" heavy?  I didn't really see Hawn attempt that many throws.  It looks like he tried to go for more trips.  As an uneducated fan, I'm always extra
happy.gif
 when I see a judoka throw a dude through the air and onto a mat, but sometimes I don't even know what to be looking for, or what type of setups there are to go for throws.  I mean... I can't imagine that a lot of MMA fighters train much judo, if at all.  What throws might be available for a high level judok against an unsuspecting opponent?  From what position is it most common to setup throws?  Do you want to have double underhooks? over/under? I cant imagine there are a ton of throws available from double overhooks?
I also have zero technical knowledge about judo, but here's some observations that I've made. Someone that seems to use judo throws and trips very well is Jon Jones (duh). A lot of the times he'll do it when his opponents are shooting and he'll get double underhooks real quick and use their momentum against them to end up on top, and usually in side control. That usually ends up with him raining down elbows and destroying the other fighter.
laugh.gif

Just my two cents

Judo is greco with a gi. Best way to explain it IMO. I mean you can still use trips and shoots in judo but the main way to win a match is throwing your opponent right on his back.

gilbert-melendez_48473.jpg

LEGGGGOOOO!!!!

• Champ Nick Diaz vs. Paul Daley (for welterweight title)
  • Champ Gilbert Melendez vs. Tatsuya Kawajiri (for lightweight title)
  • Keith Jardine vs. Gegard Mousasi
  • Shinya Aoki vs. Lyle Beerbohm
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say Mousasi loses to Jardine. Just a gut feeling that Jardine's style can cause some problems. At the same time I won't be surprised at all to see Jardine get clipped coming.

I've been Playing Judo for a few months now, and I would say it's more throw heavy. It's really hard to know how to use trips unless you are much more experienced. In class, I get thrown down a majority of the time with throws, rather than trips. I would say trips are usually used to set up the throw by getting you a bit off balanced. And its amazing for MMA fighters to pull off a judo throw in a MMA match b/c they aren't wearing Gi's.

And yes, So hyped about this weekend's strikeforce card. Gonna be sickkk!

And BJ Penn injured himself, so he will be pulling out of UFC132 as well.

Originally Posted by MayhemMonkey000

• Champ Nick Diaz vs. Paul Daley (for welterweight title)
  • Champ Gilbert Melendez vs. Tatsuya Kawajiri (for lightweight title)
  • Keith Jardine vs. Gegard Mousasi
  • Shinya Aoki vs. Lyle Beerbohm
I got Mr. Fancy Pants upsetting Aoki because Japanese fighters are teh sux in the Octagon, and Lyle is that dude
laugh.gif

WAR TEAM 209
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by cjspida619

i will be going to the strike force event this weekend have pretty good seats so will bring some pics of that night
i too will be at the event.  have no idea where my seats are though since they were comp tix from Showtime.  Hopefully the Showtime rep didnt screw me and put me up in the rafters.  Hopefully you see a fat asian dude in a korean zombie shirt sitting cageside (doubtful, but i can dream).

WAR fancypants.  I hope he takes Aoki out to the woodshed.

Sick fights tomorrow. �Have fun at the event, Mojo.

I haven't seen a lot of Hawn's fights (just the last 2�Bellator ones) and honestly I wasn't that impressed.� Thank goodness he got that late takedown to steal the 3rd and save me on my +180 bet I had on him.

Dude I'm sorry
laugh.gif
...I steered you wrong with that Villante bet. Did you see his fight against LeVon Maynard, though? �Here's your judo:

Bonus:  

This thread isn't sexy enough right now...here's a clip of Akiyama's judo against Manhoef. Peep 1:55 and the finish. Sure, [MikeGoldberg] technical in his fighting, Melvin is not [/MikeGoldberg], but it's glorious nonetheless

^ hahahaha all good. i can only blame myself for that Villante play.

Damn I love rewatching that fight with Manhoef. Manhoef is probably the last dude I'd ever wanna see walking down a dark alley.

Damn I love rewatching that fight with Manhoef. Manhoef is probably the last dude I'd ever wanna see walking down a dark alley.
I always wonder how this dude cuts to MW. Dude looks like a MONSTER. Check out his fight with Cyborg in Cage Rage if you haven't yet. Vicious.

Originally Posted by an dee 51o

I always wonder how this dude cuts to MW. Dude looks like a MONSTER. Check out his fight with Cyborg in Cage Rage if you haven't yet. Vicious.
First, person the flashed into my head was girl Cyborg. 
laugh.gif
ohwell.gif
tired.gif

Is that the one where they both gas but still throw bombs at each other?

Originally Posted by RustyShackleford

Is that the one where they both gas but still throw bombs at each other?
Yup.
laugh.gif
Not exactly the most technical fight in the world but it was DAMN entertaining.

Originally Posted by rawjs

What's your guys opinion on Diaz-Daley?  Who ya got winning tonight?
I got Nick winning by submission. I also predict that Semtex will knock Diaz down at least once, and that Diaz will bleed at some point during the fight.
laugh.gif

Semtex at +185 is pretty damn good, but I'll never bet against a Diaz.

#team209
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom