Official MMA Thread-UFC on FOX 3, 5/5/12 - Anyone asking for stream links = banned.

Fedor's natural weight is probably right around his fighting weight of like 235-240... Henderson has had fights all the way down to welterweight and then middleweight and most recently LHW in Strikeforce... Who the hell knows what his natural weight is.
laugh.gif

Definitely excited about that fight though... I really hope Fedor looks like his old self.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
Easily my favorite fighter of all time.

Originally Posted by fraij da 5 11

Fedor's natural weight is probably right around his fighting weight of like 235-240... Henderson has had fights all the way down to welterweight and then middleweight and most recently LHW in Strikeforce... Who the hell knows what his natural weight is.
laugh.gif

Definitely excited about that fight though... I really hope Fedor looks like his old self.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Don't forget Hendo fought Big Nog at HW. Hendo doesn't care, if you're near his weight, he'll fight you.
pimp.gif

BTW, after seeing Overeem last night I think Barnett has a really good chance at winning this whole thing, as long as he doesn't test positive for anything.

Any of you dude die hard K1 fans? I am trying to go back and do some viewing of the best K1 matches. I ignored MMA for so long and over the last year or so I have been getting into it more. I know a lot of names because I played Japanese Wrestling Games and there was always a MMA/ShootFighting Roster as well. I just never watched.

I found this list of best K1 Bouts for anyone interested: http://www.mmaplayground....atest-fights-1558p1.html

Originally Posted by quiickz

Originally Posted by fraij da 5 11

laugh.gif

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Don't forget Hendo fought Big Nog at HW. Hendo doesn't care, if you're near his weight, he'll fight you.
pimp.gif

BTW, after seeing Overeem last night I think Barnett has a really good chance at winning this whole thing, as long as he doesn't test positive for anything.
Barnett def does have a real good chance of winning. But I think that would be the worst thing for Strikeforce. It's kinda hard to market a fighter that has tested positive for steroids 3 times and isn't licensed to fight in most states.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Any of you dude die hard K1 fans? I am trying to go back and do some viewing of the best K1 matches. I ignored MMA for so long and over the last year or so I have been getting into it more. I know a lot of names because I played Japanese Wrestling Games and there was always a MMA/ShootFighting Roster as well. I just never watched.

I found this list of best K1 Bouts for anyone interested: http://www.mmaplayground....atest-fights-1558p1.html

I'm a huge fan of k1max... So anything with buakaw, masato, or giorgio..Buakaw is my all time fav...masato is just so smooth and technical... And giorgio puts on great fights.

Let's not forget that Rogers is clueless and is lowkey garbage. So it's good and all that Barnett handled his business, but he won't be tested until his next bout.

I don't think Barnett winning would be bad at all, assuming he's clean. It would actually be a nice story of redemption. They could easily use that angle to market him.

Damn was Masvidal impressive. That fight was probably the best one all night.

Main event was such a letdown. I'm curious about how the atmosphere at the gym will be today. Everyone seemed pretty excited and amped up last week about the fight, but I dont know how anyone can feel good about the outcome. I wonder if Werdum is going to show up to today or if he's going to be taking some time off to recover. Lookin forward to BJJ class tonight to see what happens.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

yeah those fights really make you appreciate stand up.
pimp.gif

I loved watching k1 max when Masato, Buakaw were around. Masato is my favorite kickboxer.

Badr Hari
pimp.gif

Kaoklai v mo
smokin.gif

Sorry to go back to the SF main event, but it's funny that Werdum resorted to those antics.... because when he actually did "fight", he was actually peppering Overeem with some decent combos. In fact numbers show that Werdum out-struck his opponent, and on other boards a majority had Werdum winning. Lol. I didn't believe it initially, if anything I felt it could be a draw, but after watching it again Overeem really did nothing to convince me he won.

Smh at Werdum. He should have fought, his stand up didn't fail him. He embarrassed himself and the sport. Whether or not Werdum was winded at the end, Overeem definitely was. Dude better get to work on that cardio. For a K-1 champ, he sure looked mediocre in the stand up overall. He took a lot of punches to the face and looked stiff when trying to go on the offensive.

Originally Posted by ex carrabba fan

Sorry to go back to the SF main event, but it's funny that Werdum resorted to those antics.... because when he actually did "fight", he was actually peppering Overeem with some decent combos. In fact numbers show that Werdum out-struck his opponent, and on other boards a majority had Werdum winning. Lol. I didn't believe it initially, if anything I felt it could be a draw, but after watching it again Overeem really did nothing to convince me he won.

Smh at Werdum. He should have fought, his stand up didn't fail him. He embarrassed himself and the sport. Whether or not Werdum was winded at the end, Overeem definitely was. Dude better get to work on that cardio. For a K-1 champ, he sure looked mediocre in the stand up overall. He took a lot of punches to the face and looked stiff when trying to go on the offensive.

while Overeem didnt really do anything to convincingly win, Werdum did more than enough to give the judges an excuse to award Reem with the win.  Pulling guard (if you can call it that) especially during a striking exchange is probably seen as a defensive and/or reactionary tactic to getting hit.  Therefore, they probably assumed (in some cases correctly) that Werdum was pulling guard because he got hit.

It definitely looked like Werdum was winded as the fight went on.  I wonder if it was due to him expending energy on those takedown shots, or if they were from the knees and body shots that he took from Overeem.  I dont got the stones to directly ask Werdum to his face why he looked so gassed in the fight but if I hear anything around the gym from him or the other coaches I will let you guys know.

I wonder why fans, more specifically casual American UFC fans don't watch more K-1.  They seem to favor the standup more than the ground game.
I need to check out more fights myself.  I've only seen a few when mma stars compete against the K-1 guys.  I like seeing how the mma standup translates to kickboxing matches.

Originally Posted by shogun

I wonder why fans, more specifically casual American UFC fans don't watch more K-1.  They seem to favor the standup more than the ground game.
I need to check out more fights myself.  I've only seen a few when mma stars compete against the K-1 guys.  I like seeing how the mma standup translates to kickboxing matches.
I think a big part has to do with access and exposure.  Its never televised (HDNet doesnt count since its only available in limited households) so you actually have to put some effort into finding it (either youtubing old fights or looking for streams of current events).  Also, since most if not all K1 events take place outside of North America, they would be televised at off hours.

^
Good points.  I remember i'd try to find fights online.  Reminds me of the days I would look up Pride fights from the night before.  I wish I had HDnet, my hotel had the channel and it's all I would watch.

hahaha yea, i remember when Time Warner Cable was carrying HDNet. I would come home from the bar, my wife would be getting ready for bed, and she would look at my cockeyed like "hey arent you coming to bed?" I said nah, I gotta stay to catch the K-1 Dynamite show (admittedly more for the Hero's bouts). I have this weird thing where I cant stand watching fights on delay/dvr/tivo. It really cut into my sleep schedule. Since Dynamite was always around NYE, those sleep schedule problems were further compounded.

Damn, not a good fight for Gomi.  Chances are he'll get subbed again.  They should just match him up with strikers so we can enjoy some exciting fights.

I think it's do or die for both Nate and Gomi. Gomi's weakness are submissions....so hopefully he has a good gameplan and keeps it standing, pushes the pace and brings it to Nate. Nate didn't look so hot in his last match gettin manhandled by Rory so I believe this match could go either way. Nate is not as good as his big brother but has the submission skills to catch Gomi....and Gomi has the power to KO anyone in that weightclass if he find the sweetspot. Should be an interesting fight.

I've always been a fan of Gomi since pride days so I got Gomi winning UD.

Back
Top Bottom