Official MMA Thread-UFC on FOX 3, 5/5/12 - Anyone asking for stream links = banned.

I've read the first few paragraphs, and I'm just shaking my head.
Oh well, only thing non UFC fighters can do is beat who is put in front of them and then wait for the eventual merge. 

Thing I don't get about the SI article is that nobody really elevates Overeem that highly and acts like there's a huge gap between Overeem and Cain/JDS or anyone else. People in general just know that Overeem is a dangerous guy who is right there towards the top. Of course he has to prove himself before anyone says he's undisputed #1 or #2. I guess some MMA writers really have nothing to write about so they resort to calling people frauds. 
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Originally Posted by ex carrabba fan

Overeem vs any of Dos Santos/Cain/Brock/Carwin 
eek.gif
Yep Yep Yep

laugh.gif
@ Him being clean for a year. So I guess that body isn't genetics. Figured that.

But I am about to go watch some of his K-1 Bouts, anyone suggest anything in particular? Or it can be from Pride. He competed in Pancrase too right?
Anything from the 2010 Grand Prix, his fight with Badr Hari at Dynamite 2008 and up. It wasn't until the Badr Hari fight did he start getting hype for his kickboxing. I don't think he competed in Pancrase but all his Pride fights were entertaining.

I've read the first few paragraphs, and I'm just shaking my head.
Oh well, only thing non UFC fighters can do is beat who is put in front of them and then wait for the eventual merge. 

Thing I don't get about the SI article is that nobody really elevates Overeem that highly and acts like there's a huge gap between Overeem and Cain/JDS or anyone else. People in general just know that Overeem is a dangerous guy who is right there towards the top. Of course he has to prove himself before anyone says he's undisputed #1 or #2. I guess some MMA writers really have nothing to write about so they resort to calling people frauds. 
eyes.gif
I'm curious to know what this idiots background and expertise in the sport is.  He sounds like he's been casually following MMA for about a year and went through a crash course in MMA by looking at wiki's/sherdog fight records/various message board postings instead of actually watching FIGHTS.

I know that I am biased cause I am a BJ Penn fanboy, but to insult the man and his place in history is infuriating.

"The Penn Fallacy occurs when a fighter is thought of as top rank despite there being no evidence that he is. It holds theory above practice and style above achievement, and lends support to all promoters who seek to carefully manicure the images of fighters who look or talk a part they can't actually play. It negates the very point of fighting, which is that it is a sport in which a man is wholly accountable for, and judged by, what actually happens in his fights. It is bad, and ought to be done away with."

This guy is smoking some damn good stuff.  If THAT is the definition of the fallacy, it should be called the Clay Guida Fallacy.

No evidence that he is deserving of top rank status?  Not that anyone asked (or even agrees with Marchman) but here are just a few reasons why Marchman is a tool and has no idea what he is talking about.

- former champ in 2 different weight classes
- Hughes was a top 10 P4P fighter when he got absolutely steamrolled by BJ in their first fight
- Lost, but stepped up to the challenge to fight Machida (once considered a top 5 P4P and still an elite level fighter) at his weight class
- Ran roughshod through the UFC 155 division as champ until he ran into Frank Edgar (who is a stud)
- fought to a draw against the much larger #2 WW in the world Fitch

This is the part of the article that clearly shows that Marchman only looks at printed results, not fights

"B.J. Penn deserves to have the fallacy named after him because he is widely thought of as a top welterweight contender despite not having won an important fight in that division since January of 2004, and thought of by many as the uncrowned lightweight champion even though he was thrashed twice by Frankie Edgar, his obvious better, last year"

Aside from that blind a-hole Douglas Crosby, Marchman must be the only other human being alive who thinks that FE "thrashed" BJ in the first fight.  It was a razor close fight that a lot of people (including myself) thought BJ should have won. 

If anyone cares to waste 10 minutes of their life to read the inane dribble that is, Tim Marchman's column

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/tim_marchman/06/15/overeem/index.html

Originally Posted by MayhemMonkey000

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

But I am about to go watch some of his K-1 Bouts, anyone suggest anything in particular? Or it can be from Pride. He competed in Pancrase too right?
Anything from the 2010 Grand Prix, his fight with Badr Hari at Dynamite 2008 and up.
This.

Then watch Badr crap on him in 2009. Badr Hari is a bad dude
30t6p3b.gif

And no way is this dude all natural. Dude has muscles on top of muscles.

eyes.gif
The only knock on Overeem IMO is his chin. I have seen him get viciously KOed several times by LHWs, so I think Cain and JDS could do a number on him.

No doubt about his chin. Overeem continues to profess that he's improved since those days so we'll see.

Whether natural or not, his power is evident, and his striking has definitely evolved since those days. I understand the desire to pit Cain/JDS v Overeem on paper, but I'm going to wait until this tournament comes to an end to make sharper conclusions.

Werdum isn't going to test his chin but regardless will be quite the test. I'm excited.

I'm excited for tonight's show, nothing like big ol' heavyweight bouts.

Anybody ever do a road trip for a UFC show? I don't think they are ever coming to St. Louis, so I'm thinking about road tripping to either Philly or Denver. How much should I be ready to drop on the cheap seats?

i'm over here punching $%%! because Cain Velasquez isn't headlining UFC 136 in Houston anymore... Sounds like Jose Aldo vs. Kenny Florian will replace it..
30t6p3b.gif

I hate Kenny Florian, and feel like he will get dominated.. so its gonna take some convincing before i commit to making the trip from san antonio to houston for this event..

My plays for tonight

Chad Griggs -135 3 Units
This is strictly an anti-Valentijn Overeem play.

Brett Rogers +300 1 Unit
Barnett will likely win, but he hasn't faced any serious competition in a long time, so it's worth a shot.

Fabricio Werdum +300 3 Units
Alistair Overeem has a great body and is good in K1, but he hasn't faced any serious competition in US MMA. Werdum beat Fedor when Fedor still had the aura around him. If Werdum can take Alistair down, he wins this fight.

Originally Posted by 4wrestling

My plays for tonight

Chad Griggs -135 3 Units
This is strictly an anti-Valentijn Overeem play.

Brett Rogers +300 1 Unit
Barnett will likely win, but he hasn't faced any serious competition in a long time, so it's worth a shot.

Fabricio Werdum +300 3 Units
Alistair Overeem has a great body and is good in K1, but he hasn't faced any serious competition in US MMA. Werdum beat Fedor when Fedor still had the aura around him. If Werdum can take Alistair down, he wins this fight.
I don't see Werdum taking Overeem down at all

Back
Top Bottom