Official MMA Thread-UFC on FOX 3, 5/5/12 - Anyone asking for stream links = banned.

Originally Posted by chino905

I need to re watch the main event, but I also thought Faber did enough to in the fight or at least lose to a split decision. This was just as close a fight (if not closer) as Joseph Benavidez vs Cruz II fight, and that was a split decision. But it was a good fight. This was the first fight that I didnt take my eyes off the screen for one second since Edgar/Maynard II
laugh.gif
Yeah very close fight, no idea how one judge had it 50-45 though.

Originally Posted by bamaboy256

Originally Posted by chino905

I need to re watch the main event, but I also thought Faber did enough to in the fight or at least lose to a split decision. This was just as close a fight (if not closer) as Joseph Benavidez vs Cruz II fight, and that was a split decision. But it was a good fight. This was the first fight that I didnt take my eyes off the screen for one second since Edgar/Maynard II
laugh.gif
Yeah very close fight, no idea how one judge had it 50-45 though.
I really thought it could have went split...Even my old man, (who is probably the biggest boxing fan around) thought it was a great fight...50-45 is ABSURD...Hope they get that fight in maybe Novemberish I'm thinking?

According to sources speaking to MMAWeekly.com on Sunday, UFC officials are looking at a Feb. 26, 2012, date in Japan with the show currently targeted for the Saitama Super Arena in Saitama.

While the venue has been reserved by agencies working with Zuffa in Japan, this is still just the preliminary location they are focusing on for a return to Japan. Other venues and locations are being looked at, but Saitama Super Arena is currently the most likely landing spot.

http://mmaweekly.com/ufc-...per-arena-for-japan-show

Not that any of you guys would care but fighters that would probably be on UFCs Japan card

Japanese Fighters
ufc-japanese-fighters.jpg

Hatsu Hioki
Takeya Mizugaki
Norifumi Yamamoto
Michihiro Omigawa
Takanori Gomi
Yoshihiro Akiyama
Riki Fukuda
Yushin Okami

Former PRIDE Fighters

Yves Edwards
Mac Danzig
Nick Diaz
Renzo Gracie
Sean Sherk
Vitor Belfort
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
Mirko 'Cro Cop' Filipović
Wanderlei Silva
Mauricio "Shogun" Rua
Quinton "Rampage" Jackson
Anderson Silva

Former DREAM Fighters

Mayhem Miller

Originally Posted by quik1987

Not that any of you guys would care but fighters that would probably be on UFCs Japan card

Hatsu Hioki

Takeya Mizugaki
Norifumi Yamamoto

Michihiro Omigawa

Takanori Gomi
Yoshihiro Akiyama
Riki Fukuda
Yushin Okami

I was hoping they would do a Japan card for charity. But it would be awesome if they had a majority of PRIDE alumni fight on that card. Shoot, even replace Bruce Buffer with Lenne Hardt for that night. 

UFC in Japan for Feb?! Can't Wait!!! I can just picture the arena being electric for their japanese fighters. Definitely need to order that PPV. I hope they stack that card!

Joe Silva said at Saturday's post press conference that "Brian Bowles, who earned a unanimous decision over Takeya Mizugaki and previously lost to Cruz due to a damaged hand, or Demetrious Johnson - fresh off a win over Miguel Torres - will be the next challenger."

My dude Brian Bowles getting a chance to take his belt back from Cruz
pimp.gif

For the UFC Japan, they should do a tribute to Pride and try to do a Pride-style production.  Bring back the giant screens, drums, crazy entrances, pride commentators, and the screaming lady announcer.  
smokin.gif

Originally Posted by shogun

For the UFC Japan, they should do a tribute to Pride and try to do a Pride-style production.  Bring back the giant screens, drums, crazy entrances, pride commentators, and the screaming lady announcer.  
smokin.gif
pimp.gif

[h1]
[h1]Cruz open to future superfight with Jose Aldo [/h1]
ESPN staff
July 5, 2011
26579.2.jpg

Dominick Cruz has invited Urijah Faber to join him in a trilogy-completing rubber match, and he has also let Dana White know that he would be open to a champion v champion clash with Jose Aldo.

Cruz played his part in one of the fights of the year against Faber, taking a unanimous decision after five of the tightest rounds of fighting witnessed inside the Octagon.

Victory for the Dominator means he is now tied at 1-1 with Faber, who defeated him via submission in a WEC featherweight bout. President White has already said he would like to see a decider, and Cruz is up for it.

"I'm not gonna turn down a rubber match like that," Cruz told MMA30. "Faber gave me a good fight, he tested me a little bit, but I still got the unanimous decision and I know I can beat him nine out of ten times."

Next up for the bantamweight champion will be Brian Bowles or Demetrious Johnson, but after nine straight wins there is already talk of a superfight with featherweight king Aldo.

The fight would seem a long way off, but Cruz has already admitted there is no way he would shirk the challenge.

"I'm not gonna turn down a fight with Jose Aldo," he said. "Man if they pay me enough money I'll fight anybody at heavyweight - I'll just run around like a chicken!"

will be interesting to see if Aldo can strike against Cruz's constant moving.
[/h1]

I like Cruz but even if they were the same weight Aldo would take his legs out. If he thought Faber was fast well, Aldo is in a completely different category.

Originally Posted by 4wrestling

Sorry, busy day, no time for writeups.
Dominick Cruz -155 vs urijah faber :: 4 Units 

Chris Leben +150 vs wanderlei silva :: 2 Units 
Chris Leben wins inside distance +220 :: 1/2 Unit 
Chris Leben wins by 3 round decision +440 :: 1/2 Unit 

Carlos Condit -115 vs dong hyun kim :: 3 Units 

Takeya Mizugaki +300 vs brian bowles :: 1 Unit 

George Sotiropoulos -225 vs rafael dos anjos :: 2 Units 

Melvin Guillard wins inside distance +140 vs shane roller :: 2 Units 

Tito Ortiz +475 vs ryan bader :: 1 Unit 
Tito hasn't won a fight in 6 years, but he's always competitive and doesn't get knocked out. Odds are worth a shot. 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Nice picks 4W.  I went the other way on the Condit/Kim fight otherwise I woulda had a nice little night myself.  Oh well.  Can't win em all.

Damn what a card.

The Tito fight
eek.gif
.  I had to catch the event on delay and was watching it with the wife when I got home.  When Tito dropped Bader and then finished him with that arm in guillotine I was just sitting there looking like a goon with my mouth wide open, unable to say anything.  My wife says to me "one of your favorite fighters of all time just pulled off a crazy upset and you cant even say anything?"  I just turned to her and shook my head, damn I was speechless.

Faber knocked Cruz down a few times.  Aldo's hands are a lot heavier and he would wreck Dominic's legs with vicious kicks.  Dominic's movement is great but he has no power which is why he can't put his opponents away.

I wish it would be at BW, so Aldo could become the first fighter to win 3 championships. 135, 145, & 155.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by quiickz

I wish it would be at BW, so Aldo could become the first fighter to win 3 championships. 135, 145, & 155.
pimp.gif
I think we would need to cut one of Aldo's legs off to make 135.
laugh.gif
He has a hard time making 145 as is.

Saying Aldo would be champ at 155 is a bit premature.  I'd like to see how he'd do against a few high ranked lightweights.  I figure most of the giant lightweights would try to hold him down.  A fight with Melvin would be crazy.

^
I won't disagree with that one but a few of the contenders would give him problems.  Styles are very important.

If he was given a title shot right away then he'd have a good chance against Frankie or Gray.  He might have a tougher time against guys like Jim Miller, Henderson, Melvin and maybe even Pettis.

Originally Posted by shogun

^
I won't disagree with that one but a few of the contenders would give him problems.  Styles are very important.

If he was given a title shot right away then he'd have a good chance against Frankie or Gray.  He might have a tougher time against guys like Jim Miller, Henderson, Melvin and maybe even Pettis.
not sure i agree with the "eat him alive" prediction.

I dont think Edgar gets enough credit.  While he may not be the biggest 155er, its not like he was overpowered by some bigger and/or stronger 155ers like Maynard or BJ.  While Aldo is lightning quick, Edgar is no slouch when it comes to the speed dept.  

I just dont know what Bendo or Pettis could bring against Aldo that would make them any more successful than Edgar would be.

So - MMA fans - let's have a fun discussion: how would you change the scoring in MMA?

In my eyes, I think damage should be taken into consideration. If one guy is looking like hamburger at the end of a fight, and the other guy looks like he just walked out of the locker room, I believe it should be worth something. I'm not saying that the fight should be decided by it, but it should be used. Same with knockdowns - there should be some value in rocking someone, you know? In boxing, if you get rocked and your glove touches the mat, it counts as a knockdown. In MMA, I think you should score points if you land cleanly and your opponent hits the mat.

I also believe that takedowns should have different levels of scoring. Taking someone down, only to have them immediately spring back up? Shouldn't score points. Take someone down and proceed to lay on them, without improving position and/or throwing strikes? Once again, shouldn't score points. Yes, takedowns are part of the sport, but they shouldn't be used as the end-all-be-all of scoring. I understand that it's the guy on the bottom's job to get to his feet - but shouldn't the dude on top be forced to do something, as well? Same goes with stalling on the fence - if anything, shouldn't they take away points from these fighters?

Right now, there is no set scoring method in MMA and many of the fighters don't even know how to properly score points and win. Should they continue to use the round-by-round method, or score the fight as a whole? I usually host the fights at my house, and nothing sucks more than trying to explain victories to people. I think of the Sanchez - Kampmann fight, and how everyone in the room was sitting there stunned. It's hard to explain stuff like that... especially when one guys face looks like hamburger, got out-struck, and landed 1 of 15 takedowns.
laugh.gif

Maybe I'm just rambling, but I really think the judging is holding MMA back right now. Thoughts?

Honestly, I think they need a bottom-up scoring system, rather than a top-down system. Instead of taking away points, they need to give points based on an agreed upon criteria. They already do this for grappling tournaments, i.e. 2 points for a take down, 1 point for regaining neutral position, etc.... If they implemented this plus something similar for striking, say, 4-5 points for a knockdown, 1 point for a clean strike, etc. I think this would go a long way in finding out who the better fighter is. Plus it would look at the fight as a whole rather than by round. So a huge round would more than make up for losing two close rounds.

Back
Top Bottom