Official MMA Thread-UFC on FOX 3, 5/5/12 - Anyone asking for stream links = banned.

i know it sounds crazy, but can't damage be a subjective criteria? Some fighters (Marcus Davis for example) cut easier than others. This may be due to the accumulation of prior scar tissue, or their skin just breaks easy. While their face may be a bloody mess they may not have inflicted much damage/pain.

I do agree with your valuation on "rocking" someone. I believe the current criteria gives credit for efficiency and the total number of strikes landed, but it does not necesarily account for power. This is why fighters like Cruz are able to outpoint their way to victory. While it may not be fair for pillow fisted fighters like Bisping, I think that landing a powerful clean strike > a softer clean strike.

the overvaluation of takedowns is what is killing the sport (IMO). Its no secret that MMA is being overrun by high level wrestlers who are able to dump their opponents on the floor and maintain top position. Untill they change the judging criteria to lessen the emphasis on takedowns, I dont see this changing. I agree with your position on takedowns that dont amount to anything. If you take an opponent down but he can work back to his feet and take little to no damage on the ground, that takedown shouldnt count for much. If you can take a guy down and maintain top position while landing some effective strikes, that obviosuly should count. I also think that you if you can sweep from the bottom, that should be equivalent (in points) to a clean takedown.

What are your thoughts on points for defense? Or in a more broader sense, awarding points for advancing your position? I'm assuming you get points for passing, but do you think that some points should be awarded on the other end? For example, if Fighter A is mounted and manages to get back to full guard, should he be awarded (and conversly Fighter B deducted) for getting out of a bad position?

Originally Posted by quik1987

Jose Aldo would eat Frankie Edgar alive though.

I'm pretty sure every fight Frankie's been in, he was supposed to lose. 
According to the "experts". 

You see how that's gone. 

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

Originally Posted by shogun

^
I won't disagree with that one but a few of the contenders would give him problems.  Styles are very important.

If he was given a title shot right away then he'd have a good chance against Frankie or Gray.  He might have a tougher time against guys like Jim Miller, Henderson, Melvin and maybe even Pettis.
not sure i agree with the "eat him alive" prediction.

I dont think Edgar gets enough credit.  While he may not be the biggest 155er, its not like he was overpowered by some bigger and/or stronger 155ers like Maynard or BJ.  While Aldo is lightning quick, Edgar is no slouch when it comes to the speed dept.  

I just dont know what Bendo or Pettis could bring against Aldo that would make them any more successful than Edgar would be.

Frankie is my favorite lightweight and seeing him almost get knocked out by Gray was a big surprise for me.  If Aldo connects then he'd be in big trouble.  I'm one of the only ones who have defended Frankie and talked about how he's gotten stronger.  He's showed it in his fights with Sherk, BJ and Maynard.  His boxing is great but he lacks power.  His wrestling is top 2 in the division so I don't doubt he can get takedowns and win the fight there.  
Bendo's standup is pretty bad so he'll go for takedowns the whole time.  Aldo's a big FW, but we have to see how he matches up strength wise with the huge LW's.  If he gets taken down, can he get back up?  Can he sub off his back against guys with smothering top control?

^
I won't disagree with that one but a few of the contenders would give him problems.  Styles are very important.

If he was given a title shot right away then he'd have a good chance against Frankie or Gray.  He might have a tougher time against guys like Jim Miller, Henderson, Melvin and maybe even Pettis.
not sure i agree with the "eat him alive" prediction.

I dont think Edgar gets enough credit.  While he may not be the biggest 155er, its not like he was overpowered by some bigger and/or stronger 155ers like Maynard or BJ.  While Aldo is lightning quick, Edgar is no slouch when it comes to the speed dept.  

I just dont know what Bendo or Pettis could bring against Aldo that would make them any more successful than Edgar would be.

Frankie is my favorite lightweight and seeing him almost get knocked out by Gray was a big surprise for me.  If Aldo connects then he'd be in big trouble.  I'm one of the only ones who have defended Frankie and talked about how he's gotten stronger.  He's showed it in his fights with Sherk, BJ and Maynard.  His boxing is great but he lacks power.  His wrestling is top 2 in the division so I don't doubt he can get takedowns and win the fight there.  
Bendo's standup is pretty bad so he'll go for takedowns the whole time.  Aldo's a big FW, but we have to see how he matches up strength wise with the huge LW's.  If he gets taken down, can he get back up?  Can he sub off his back against guys with smothering top control?

granted bjj is not the same as mma submissions, but Aldo is supposed to have excellent bjj so I think he might be fairly effective even off his back.  I believe he's beat Cobrinha in comp before (I swear I read that somewhere, not sure if verified).

that is of course if you do not subscribe to the school of thought that "guard is dead in mma"

Charles Oliviera is stepping in for an injured Paul Taylor against Cerrone.  Should be an awesome fight.  I hate Cerrone so maybe we'll see him get kicked in the head.

Charles Oliviera is stepping in for an injured Paul Taylor against Cerrone.  Should be an awesome fight.  I hate Cerrone so maybe we'll see him get kicked in the head.
hahahaha if that happens, fight of the year.

That card is stacked for being free 
pimp.gif

So many nice LW's on display
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by ex carrabba fan

Originally Posted by CareFreeJR

Sonnen goes ham

I don't apologize for being a Sonnen fan. Dude has legit swag
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Can't even argue his facts/arguments

Dude needs to slow down on the Brazilian stuff though
eek.gif

In%20Brazil%20we%20have%20a%20saying%20small.gif

roll.gif
eek.gif
roll.gif

When were they ever in the same car?? What is this from?
laugh.gif

everytime I see this clip it cracks me up.

I believe this was from UFN 22 in Texas.  Both fighters were probably there to do some promo work for the company.

Sorry, I dont know how to embed but here is the full clip

Originally Posted by The Fresh Sole

yeah they went to the capital, my aunt met them that day

laugh.gif
chael is a idiot and a real life troll
He is a troll, but really damn near all of what he ever says you can't really argue. With the exception of his stupid remarks about beating Silva faster than Leben etc., that interview he did with Ariel was nothing but solid fact.

I personally pray that he continues winning after all the testosterone crap.

So will Sonnen continue on TRT??

Chael is a fool but I find him really funny.  His tweets are 
roll.gif
.  I don't know if he writes them himself or he has a ghostwriter but they're really good.
Sonnen-Tweets-2.gif

damn so i finally got around to watching the Helwani interview during my lunch break.

Sonnen is hilarious. Love him or hate him, he knows how to attract attention. Can't wait to see the stuff he unloads on Stann leading up to his next fight.

The stuff about the Nog Bros. and carrots and bus/horses. damb... as Club would say BLATANT DISRESPECT

Sonnen would need some mean "testosterone replacement therapy" to beat up Machida, Nog, and Anderson. So much rage, I understand why now though.

Those tweets 
eek.gif
roll.gif
dude is a first class troll

So can you guys answer, will he still be on the TRT going forward?

my guess is that he will still be on TRT.  His bout with Stann is going to be in TX.  If TX-AC will licence Margacheato, they will probably license anyone.  Chances are Sonnen will get an exemption from the AC to continue to be on TRT.  I guess we won't know for sure til we get closer to the fight day.

damn so i finally got around to watching the Helwani interview during my lunch break.

Sonnen is hilarious. Love him or hate him, he knows how to attract attention. Can't wait to see the stuff he unloads on Stann leading up to his next fight.

The stuff about the Nog Bros. and carrots and bus/horses. damb... as Club would say BLATANT DISRESPECT

My goodness...
laugh.gif

This dude needs to host his own show. It would bring in fantastic ratings. Skip Bayless has nothing on Chael when it comes to sports-specific trolling. 

Can't wait for a Sonnen-Silva rematch. Too bad Sonnen will have to stomp over Brian Stann first.

The rematch won't be close. Chael has to sell himself because he's garbage and had a lucky night for the 1st time in his life.

Forrest beat this fool. He mad cuz Brazilians do own the game plain and simple.

Originally Posted by jbone2308

The rematch won't be close. Chael has to sell himself because he's garbage and had a lucky night for the 1st time in his life.

Forrest beat this fool. He mad cuz Brazilians do own the game plain and simple.

Lucky night for the first time in his life?  What fight and/or career were you watching?  Chael was thumping on Anderson for 4 rounds and then he either got tired, lazy, or careless and got caught in that triangle.  How is that lucky?

How is a fight with Forrest from damn near 10 years ago relevant?

There is no doubt that there are a ton of high level Brazillian MMA fighters today, but I think its a stretch to say that "they own the game plain and simple".  Not that the Zuffa is the end all be all of MMA, but lets look at the UFC and SF titleholders

UFC
Cain - Mexican American
Jones - African American
Silva - Brazillian
GSP - Frog
Edgar - American
Aldo - Brazillian
Cruz - Mexican American

SF
Overeem - Dutch
Hendo - American
Jacare - Brazillian
Diaz - Mexican American
Melendez - Mexican American

Hell, if we are just going off of who the current champs are, I would say that Mexicans own the game plain and simple since we have more champions of Mexican heritage than any other.

1. I guess some people have to always fall for the troll bait 
laugh.gif

2. Sonnen doesn't have to sell *#%@. A rematch between Sonnen/Silva sells itself, Dana wouldn't even have to air one commercial, one promo, could shut the UFC website down and the PPV would still do big numbers
3. Brazilians don't own MMA but yes for now they are the most abundant in the sport. Game is truly changing IMO, a lot of these wrestlers now have an outlet after college. Americans are next in line

I still
laugh.gif
at how I really thought Sonnen was gonna apologize for his rants on Brazil in the interview... and instead goes on another rant. Got me
eek.gif
roll.gif

Sonnen won't get a rematch. He cheated the first time and still lost. He would have to bang through 3 contenders to get another shot, so like at least 2 years away from another chance.

I like how Chael is saying he's happy he can defend his middleweight belt now.  
laugh.gif

Dude would be a perfect heel in pro wrestling.  Should have Ric Flair in his corner next fight and come out in a robe with rhinestones and feathers.

Back
Top Bottom