Official MMA Thread-UFC on FOX 3, 5/5/12 - Anyone asking for stream links = banned.

Originally Posted by Burn916

Originally Posted by chino905

is the Dream card still on? i thought it started at 1am, but on Sherdog its showing that Aoki and Fedor still haven't fought yet..
9 hour card 
laugh.gif

Still two more fights to go. Takaya is dominating Lion Takeshi right now. 
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Originally Posted by sNc magic

Originally Posted by SneakerHeathen

JDS is going to wash Overeem...

That said, boy was I wrong thinking Brock was going to blanket his way to victory, he didn't even really attempt a takedown (except that weak single leg attempt).

Nice knowing ya Brock, was never too much a fan, but I'd be lying if I ain't say you were damn entertaining to watch. Dude will be missed.
WARRRRRR JDS, NICE KNOWING YOU OVEREEM.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Have you ever seen Overeem fight outside of the UFC? I really don't know how anyone had Lesnar favored for this fight, especially since he reacts so badly to taking damage. He has a strong knee, but he's just too scared of getting hit. He didn't even attempt a double leg because he knew the uberknee was coming. Once he took a knee to the body, he was done for, he just mentally folded. Overeem's striking looked poor in the Werdum fight because he had to worry about his ground game, and stand up is all JDS has.
K-1 level striking>JDS' boxing. WAR OVEREEM DREAM/K-1/STRIKEFORCE/FUTURE UFC HW CHAMPION
Dude, I've been watching Overeem since his Pride days. 
Your post is totally out of context. Left field +#+ comments all the time on this thread. People favored him (I as well) because of his wrestling, which he did not utilize. 

If you knew anything about Overeem, ANYTHING at all you know his chin is SUSPECT. He's been folded by tons of guys, and I don't think anyone save Liddell has more power than JDS (which I seriously doubt). 

Another thing, Overeem isn't exactly the hardest guy to hit. Werdum continuously found his chin, in fact I'd say he out-worked Reem in the striking department. 

Fall back and know what you're talking about before looking like a complete stan. 

P.S. Do your homework kid. K-1 Striking > JDS? Oh yeah? Tell that to Eduardo Maiorino 
laugh.gif
, fool. 

Originally Posted by 6 rings MJ

I want to see Junior Dos Santos vs Overeem..It's going to be a WAR!!
I'm not sure about that, looking back at the Fox main event and this one makes me believe their fight will last a couple of minutes.  Dana will have this face
mad.gif
laugh.gif

Great fight by Diaz.  I was very surprised that he was so dominating in that first round.  I thought cerrone would be faster with his hands and hurt him with more kicks.  It'll be interesting to see who holds the LW belt a year from now.

I feel bad for Fitch.  That guy will never get a titleshot ever again.  
ohwell.gif

JDS is going to wash Overeem...

That said, boy was I wrong thinking Brock was going to blanket his way to victory, he didn't even really attempt a takedown (except that weak single leg attempt).

Nice knowing ya Brock, was never too much a fan, but I'd be lying if I ain't say you were damn entertaining to watch. Dude will be missed.
WARRRRRR JDS, NICE KNOWING YOU OVEREEM.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Have you ever seen Overeem fight outside of the UFC? I really don't know how anyone had Lesnar favored for this fight, especially since he reacts so badly to taking damage. He has a strong knee, but he's just too scared of getting hit. He didn't even attempt a double leg because he knew the uberknee was coming. Once he took a knee to the body, he was done for, he just mentally folded. Overeem's striking looked poor in the Werdum fight because he had to worry about his ground game, and stand up is all JDS has.
K-1 level striking>JDS' boxing. WAR OVEREEM DREAM/K-1/STRIKEFORCE/FUTURE UFC HW CHAMPION
Your post is totally out of context. Left field +#+ comments all the time on this thread. People favored him (I as well) because of his wrestling, which he did not utilize. 

If you knew anything about Overeem, ANYTHING at all you know his chin is SUSPECT. He's been folded by tons of guys, and I don't think anyone save Liddell has more power than JDS (which I seriously doubt). 

Another thing, Overeem isn't exactly the hardest guy to hit. Werdum continuously found his chin, in fact I'd say he out-worked Reem in the striking department. 

Fall back and know what you're talking about before looking like a complete stan. 

P.S. Do your homework kid. K-1 Striking > JDS? Oh yeah? Tell that to Eduardo Maiorino 
laugh.gif
, fool. 
Overeem's chin is not so suspect, as it is his heart and gas tank that has failed him multiple times throughout his career; however, he has become a much more complete fighter in recent years.

In the Werdum fight, he had to worry about Werdum's elite jiu-jitsu, hence why he could not focus solely on his striking, just as Brock was able to tag Overeem in the beginning of the match while he was looking for Lesnar's take downs.

Overeem is far from perfect, and I would not even list him in my top 5 favorite fighters.  I just think that in pure striking, Overeem while completely overwhelm JDS. Cain is stylistically much more difficult for Overeem, and if anything  he is the person to beat Overeem.

I like how you chose to bring up a kickboxer who has never even reached the pinnacle of the K-1 tournament as your idea of elite K-1 striking. You could have at least used Melvin Manhoef as your example, but his chin makes Overeem's look like Mark Hunt's.  Nice try though

That main event, from the way Ishii went "out" to the timing of the ending, was pretty darn suspect
laugh.gif

Either way, props to anybody who sat through all 17 fights!

Have a happy New Year, MMA thread brethren.

5m9yxf.jpg

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

laugh.gif
, fool. 
Overeem's chin is not so suspect, as it is his heart and gas tank that has failed him multiple times throughout his career; however, he has become a much more complete fighter in recent years.

In the Werdum fight, he had to worry about Werdum's elite jiu-jitsu, hence why he could not focus solely on his striking, just as Brock was able to tag Overeem in the beginning of the match while he was looking for Lesnar's take downs.

Overeem is far from perfect, and I would not even list him in my top 5 favorite fighters.  I just think that in pure striking, Overeem while completely overwhelm JDS. Cain is stylistically much more difficult for Overeem, and if anything  he is the person to beat Overeem.

I like how you chose to bring up a kickboxer who has never even reached the pinnacle of the K-1 tournament as your idea of elite K-1 striking. You could have at least used Melvin Manhoef as your example, but his chin makes Overeem's look like Mark Hunt's.  Nice try though
Why in the world would I use Melvin Manhoef as my example? JDS NEVER FOUGHT HIM 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Secondly, the point of my example was that you're acting like JDS hasn't fought K-1 level talent (now you're changing your tune and saying it has to be "elite" Semmy Schilt level striking, whom JDS would also soundly beat prime for prime in MMA). 

Overeem's chin IS suspect, you're in complete denial if you don't see that. Even esteemed fighters such as Ernesto Hoost have said it. It's been a known thing for a WHILE now. On top of that, like you said, his stamina is also in question.

JDS is going to find that chin and finish the dude. The longer this fight lasts the less chance Overeem has at winning. IF Overeem has a shot it'll be on the ground, not on his feet. 

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
 Manhoef though? So left field, what the hell are you talking about? 

I don't think he has a bad chin I think Reem has just fought great strikers from Chuck all the way down to Sergei. He has faced the toughest and hardest hitters of the past 12 years in MMA. If he had better cardio back in the day he would have been pride champ he had the tools to beat wand back then.He just needed a bit more patience and and more well rounded camp .Reem is a great fighter with a great set of tools now. If he can slim down and get some of his flexibility back he can def outstrike jds. He has the right tools and expierence with guys with amazing striking and that ok power. He just needs to make it into a standup fight and press jds to the cage and work the clinch.

laugh.gif
, fool. 

Why in the world would I use Melvin Manhoef as my example? JDS NEVER FOUGHT HIM 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Secondly, the point of my example was that you're acting like JDS hasn't fought K-1 level talent (now you're changing your tune and saying it has to be "elite" Semmy Schilt level striking, whom JDS would also soundly beat prime for prime in MMA). 

Overeem's chin IS suspect, you're in complete denial if you don't see that. Even esteemed fighters such as Ernesto Hoost have said it. It's been a known thing for a WHILE now. On top of that, like you said, his stamina is also in question.

JDS is going to find that chin and finish the dude. The longer this fight lasts the less chance Overeem has at winning. IF Overeem has a shot it'll be on the ground, not on his feet. 

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
 Manhoef though? So left field, what the hell are you talking about? 
My bad, I thought you were talking about K-1 level strikers who have failed to make the cut in MMA striking.  I am not simply referring to K-1 champions, but to people who are at least skilled enough to make it outside of regionals, especially since Brazil has mediocre kickboxing talent at best. Kickboxers from Europe are simply on a completely different level from fighters like Maiorino.

Overeem has fought and managed to win fights against strikers who are much better than JDS, and his chin and cardio have seemed to greatly improve since his LHW days, so I don't see your point in calling out his "weak" chin. There is no doubt that he does not have an iron chin, but his chin is far from the way that you're making it seem. It's not like he's Arlovski, getting dropped left and right. If his chin was so weak, there is no way that he would have been able to win the K-1 Grand Prix; which is not to say that he is the best HW kickboxer in the world, as he got very lucky with an injured Saki and a very weakened Aerts.

The simple fact of the matter is that Overeem is much stronger and has a better arsenal of weapons against JDS; and as such, I don't know how anyone could come to such a foolish conclusion that JDS would have an easy time with Overeem. I guarantee you that JDS has never been hit with anything like Overeem's knees, so it will be an interesting fight for sure.

That being said, I did not mean to say that it is a complete wrap for Overeem, as there is no doubt that JDS has very good hands and KO power, but Overeem will most likely overwhelm JDS with his relentless pressure until he gets JDS into the clinch. JDS definitely does have a much more fluid striking style than Overeem, and that is his key to victory. I would favor Overeem to win this fight based on what I have said, but at the same time I would not want to bet on it. But to say that JDS is going to wash Overeem is just a dumb thing to say.

Just a reminder that there will be a Strikeforce event tomorrow on Showtime.
Luke Rockhold defends his belt against Keith Jardine
sick.gif
. King Mo, Robbie Lawler and Tyron Woodley will also be fighting on the card.

Would love to see Jardine win the belt, but I am not getting my hopes up haha. Pretty good card so it should be a good one to watch

i would like strikeforce to introduce the lighter weights for women fighters, and see how Megumi Fujii would fair her second time around in America.   

Seems like rousey was scared of cyborg so she went down a division to get a title fight.  I read that rousey said she should get a title shot because she's hot but she's far from hot 
grin.gif
.  Her submissions are sick though and she's one of the most submission fighters in all of mma.

Jon Jones vs Dan Henderson might happen in March at UFC 145
I feel like Jones is messing with Evans, first it was his hand injury that prevented the fight from happening then he wanted a long break after the Machida fight and changed then his mind wanting to fight as soon as possible. If Evans does win his fight against Phil Davis, he may have til early summer to get a title shot. 

either JBJ is messing with Evans or he's trying to duck him. Still think Jones will KTFO Evans. And if Hendo don't connect in the first 2 rounds, its gonna be Bones via GnP.

At this point, I can understand if Evans wants to murder that fool.  He's made up any excuse to avoid fighting him.  Maybe he's doing it to disrespect and piss off Rashad even more.  On paper, jones would be the heavy favorite so I don't understand why he just won't fight him.

Originally Posted by fraij da 5 11

Awwww man UFC in NY.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

A huge MSG event would be sick.
I can only dream of how entertaining the train ride back home on the LIRR would be with all the drunk idiots getting into fights.  
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom