Official MMA Thread-UFC on FOX 3, 5/5/12 - Anyone asking for stream links = banned.

I missed the Gina fight.
tired.gif

That Kimbo fight looked ugly, in every conceivable way.

This was horrible for the sport. That fight was obviously fixed. Thompson could have easily passed from side control to mount and end the fight, yet he neverattempted to. Thompson could have easily passed Kimbo's half guard and mounted him, yet he never did. That was THE worst jiu jitsu I have ever seen in mylife. Put Kimbo in the cage with a real fighter, in a real organization, and we will see the outcome.

Originally Posted by heyson

This was horrible for the sport. That fight was obviously fixed. Thompson could have easily passed from side control to mount and end the fight, yet he never attempted to. Thompson could have easily passed Kimbo's half guard and mounted him, yet he never did. That was THE worst jiu jitsu I have ever seen in my life. Put Kimbo in the cage with a real fighter, in a real organization, and we will see the outcome.

Man, I wouldn't say that. Thompson ain't no wizard on the ground mannn... Trust, the reason that was the worst jiu jitsu you've seen... iswell... because both guys have no jits...

Elite XC is for real. Outside of the Kimbo fight they put on a quality show, point blank. Would've been even better if the Shields/Fickett fighthappened.

It does not matter if he is no wiz on the ground man, my girl could have mounted him. Kimbo layed flat on his back, you don't have to be a wiz in jj topass someone's guard who is not even defending it.

Just got back from my homies house and am still pretty drunk but I'm going to try to put a coherent statement together.

-No girl is beating Gina right now. Too much skill and not enough competition from what I've seen. Although, I"m pretty disappointed sje didn'tmake weight.

-Robbie Lawler aint that good. The reason he's a champion in EliteXC is because he couldn't make it in the UFC.

-The Kimbo fight was most def. fixed. The ref should have stopped it at the end of the 2nd round. I think I saw 8-10 elbow/punches to the head when Thompsonhad side control and Kimbo's arm locked down.

I'm just saying that Thompson seemed to have intentionally passed on many many opportunities.

Originally Posted by MonopolyMan630

Just got back from my homies house and am still pretty drunk but I'm going to try to put a coherent statement together.

-No girl is beating Gina right now. Too much skill and not enough competition from what I've seen. Although, I"m pretty disappointed sje didn't make weight.

-Robbie Lawler aint that good. The reason he's a champion in EliteXC is because he couldn't make it in the UFC.

-The Kimbo fight was most def. fixed. The ref should have stopped it at the end of the 2nd round. I think I saw 8-10 elbow/punches to the head when Thompson had side control and Kimbo's arm locked down.

Robbie is a good fighter. Scott just got better. He is 10x the fighter he was in the UFC. MUCH more under control and he's actually boxing now insteadof throwing wild punches (even though he still has a tendency to do that, but what fighter doesn't). Ninja is a damn good fighter and Robbie dominated himand knocking Trigg out the way he did isn't easy either. Those are two legit 185ers he's beaten pretty convincingly. People forget Robbie is still only26. He had room to grow.
I'm just saying that Thompson seemed to have intentionally passed on many many opportunities.

Because Thompson doesn't know much else on the ground then Kimbo. He just looks to bang away. Dude doesn't give a !@%* about position. While Idon't completely disagree that the fight was fixed, the reasoning you gave isn't a great reason. If it was thrown on Thompson's behalf he wouldhave never made Kimbo look that bad. If anything Monopolyman had a better reason to say why the fight is fixed.

After reading the replies in the thread, I have good/bad feelings about the EliteXC show. I feel good because its bringing MMA into the mainstream. I feel badbecause its not the best representation MMA has to offer. With all the financial debt EliteXC is in, I don't know how they feel they'll be able tocontinue in the foreseeable future.

-No pay-per-view deal as of right now.

-They're most marketable stars right now are a street fighter and an american gladiator chick. Kimbo has had 3 gimmie fights. Its apperant that any fighterwith any decent ground game should be able to submit him. JT has no ground game. Nog, Sylvia, Barnett, Cro Cop, Fedor, Werdum, Vera, Gonzaga, Iceman, Tito,Couture, Coleman, AA, Rothwell and yes, even Lesnar would handle Kimbo with ease. I know I just listed the best heavyweights out but with the hype surroundingKimbo, at least move him up to some mid-level competition.

Ok, I know I had more to say but I forgot...

Originally Posted by MayhemMonkey000

-No girl is beating Gina right now. Too much skill and not enough competition from what I've seen. Although, I"m pretty disappointed sje didn't make weight.

-The Kimbo fight was most def. fixed. The ref should have stopped it at the end of the 2nd round. I think I saw 8-10 elbow/punches to the head when Thompson had side control and Kimbo's arm locked down.

Robbie is a good fighter. Scott just got better. He is 10x the fighter he was in the UFC. MUCH more under control and he's actually boxing now instead of throwing wild punches (even though he still has a tendency to do that, but what fighter doesn't).

Because Thompson doesn't know much else on the ground then Kimbo. He just looks to bang away. Dude doesn't give a **$@ about position. While I don't completely disagree that the fight was fixed, the reasoning you gave isn't a great reason. If it was thrown on Thompson's behalf he would have never made Kimbo look that bad. If anything Monopolyman had a better reason to say why the fight is fixed.

I'll give you Robbie is a better fighter than he was when he was fighting in the UFC. But still, hell, Nick Diaz would still be able to beat himright now. I would even say Cung Le would beat him right now.

I'll give you Robbie is a better fighter than he was when he was fighting in the UFC. But still, hell, Nick Diaz would still be able to beat him right now. I would even say Cung Le would beat him right now.

I don't care what you guys say, Nick Diaz is in my top 10 but Cung Le? Even After watching the Fryklund and the Shamrock fight where he looked like aMuay Thai god, I still havent made my mind up about him.

Kimbos ground game is terrible...2 years with Bas and this is all he got..i dunno what the hell he is learning

So you guys are trying to tell me that passing someone's guard and mounting them is high level jiu jitsu? Especially when they are not defending it?

here's what I think after watching the show

- The Carano fight was a legitimate stoppage for two reasons. 1. young's face was bad. like possibly broken eye socket kind of bad. 2. network television,so we're not gonna see her get pounded anymore, considering her face looked like lunch meat.

- If Lawler's opponent (I can't think of his name) really said "I can't see" twice, then he almost asked for that stoppage. A doctor,like stated before, is not going to let you get slaughtered on network tv, especially if you can't see the punches coming.

- Lastly, the Kimbo fight. Well, how do I view it? Honestly, controversial at best. You could say they stood them up fairly early. Also, you could say thereferee should have stopped the fight at the end of the 2nd. You could also say that he stopped it too early in the 3rd. However, for all of those arguments,you can argue back that neither man was improving position on the ground, because face it, neither is an mma wizard. Also, let's be honest, Thompson wasthrowing those elbows with the velocity of a 2 year old. The two-three times the ref warned to stop it, Kimbo would move his arm/head, not much, but he wasmoving. 3rd, ugh, the ear was gross. Kimbo busted that open, and to be honest, it looked like he was bleeding from INSIDE the ear, and if that's the case,I don't think I blame him for stopping it, after JT took 3-4 more clean shots. Correct me if I'm wrong, but bleeding from inside the ear is a really,really bad sign, so I'd understand them not wanting a fighter to go deaf, once again on network tv. Also, from watching the replay on dvr, it appeared thatThompson was out on his feet, eyes in the back of the head, so I'll give that HORRIBLE referee that.

Like I said, it was an UGLY fight, with an UGLY end. oh yeah, and an ugly ear.

First time ever watching MMA & let me say that the Kimbo fight was VERY disappointing. That was a fight? That's what this is all about?I hope not....

Originally Posted by doyung9

here's what I think after watching the show

- The Carano fight was a legitimate stoppage for two reasons. 1. young's face was bad. like possibly broken eye socket kind of bad. 2. network television, so we're not gonna see her get pounded anymore, considering her face looked like lunch meat.

- If Lawler's opponent (I can't think of his name) really said "I can't see" twice, then he almost asked for that stoppage. A doctor, like stated before, is not going to let you get slaughtered on network tv, especially if you can't see the punches coming.

- Lastly, the Kimbo fight. Well, how do I view it? Honestly, controversial at best. You could say they stood them up fairly early. Also, you could say the referee should have stopped the fight at the end of the 2nd. You could also say that he stopped it too early in the 3rd. However, for all of those arguments, you can argue back that neither man was improving position on the ground, because face it, neither is an mma wizard. Also, let's be honest, Thompson was throwing those elbows with the velocity of a 2 year old. The two-three times the ref warned to stop it, Kimbo would move his arm/head, not much, but he was moving. 3rd, ugh, the ear was gross. Kimbo busted that open, and to be honest, it looked like he was bleeding from INSIDE the ear, and if that's the case, I don't think I blame him for stopping it, after JT took 3-4 more clean shots. Correct me if I'm wrong, but bleeding from inside the ear is a really, really bad sign, so I'd understand them not wanting a fighter to go deaf, once again on network tv. Also, from watching the replay on dvr, it appeared that Thompson was out on his feet, eyes in the back of the head, so I'll give that HORRIBLE referee that.

Like I said, it was an UGLY fight, with an UGLY end. oh yeah, and an ugly ear.

I came back in time to watch the Kimbo/James fight. I must say you're on point with your analysis/opinion, I agree with you.

Originally Posted by heyson

So you guys are trying to tell me that passing someone's guard and mounting them is high level jiu jitsu? Especially when they are not defending it?

Lord... you are not listening... Thompson HAS VERY LITTLE GROUND GAME. He looks to stand and bang and that's it. He doesn't give a damn aboutposition and would just rather start hammering away at someone then look for dominate positions. That's how he's been for pretty much his whole fightcareer. There are a TON of one trick pony gimmick fighters out there that don't know a lick of jits... Now you're just putting words in people'smouths...

You're reasoning for throwing the is ridiculous... If he was told to throw the fight and agreed he:
1. Would not have taken Kimbo to the ground.
2. People knowing that Thompson doesn't have a great jaw (which is the reason he was picked in the first place) would not have kept standing after thefirst couple flush shots.
3. The fight would've never seen past round 2 to make Kimbo look good to the masses.

I'm not saying that there isn't some controversy in the fight, but the reason you gave does not fit AT ALL.

'll give you Robbie is a better fighter than he was when he was fighting in the UFC. But still, hell, Nick Diaz would still be able to beat him right now. I would even say Cung Le would beat him right now.
He's too big for Nick now. Robbie has bulked up since he's been at 185. He would bully Nick. Cung Le would not beat him right now. Robbiehas good wrestling, and if he wanted to he can control Cung on the ground. Frank has just too much of an ego and tried to stand with Cung. Robbie's handsare no joke either. Robbie would be the best striker and fighter Cung has fought so far in his MMA career.

However, for all of those arguments, you can argue back that neither man was improving position on the ground, because face it, neither is an mma wizard. Also, let's be honest, Thompson was throwing those elbows with the velocity of a 2 year old. The two-three times the ref warned to stop it, Kimbo would move his arm/head, not much, but he was moving.
Thompson was on top and didn't need to improve position. He was on top. Kimbo didn't do anything to improve his position then. Regardlesshow hard he was throwing them, Kimbo still needs to show something from the bottom.

By far the best fights of the night was Gina Carano <3 and the fight that ended wayyyyy too early because the white dude couldn't see. Even as anewcomer to MMA I didn't expect much out of Kimbo, but he really fought a lot worse than I expected. Oh yea and that ear
sick.gif

thompson got robbed....damn, kinda feel bad for him. He def won the first round, DOMINATED the second and then robbed on the third. If this was UFC, it wouldhave been stopped when Thompson was elbowing kimbo in the corner of the cage (remember the Shamrock/Ortiz fight? there were others too). Kimbo has terriblecardio, has no idea what to do on the ground, technical skills are terrible, and just sloppy overall...gave up too many attempts to be submitted. Luck.
Faber/Pulver is the match to see.

Just a question...

What the hell was that on his ear? There was no way he could have popped that a while ago and let it drain?

Back
Top Bottom