Official MMA Thread-UFC on FOX 3, 5/5/12 - Anyone asking for stream links = banned.

The ref kept looking to break up the ground work everytime pinata-ear had dominant position....he was yelling instructions speciafically to Kimbo..."KimboI need to see a little defense here"....@#$ is that? Dude is a professional MMA fighter....if he doesn't know how to intelligently defend the groundand pound, you call a TKO...I don't know if this was good or bad for MMA popularity but for real fans of the sport it was a joke.

The UFC or the WEC need national coverage not this trash.

Originally Posted by abeautifulhaze

That was BS.

Kimbo is a fraud and Elite XC is basura.

How is Kimbo a fraud? He is a brawler, he never claimed to be a complete MMA fighter. I will agree that Elite XC is crap. Nice Fireworks at least.
ohwell.gif

Thompson took so many punches he probably wont even remember the fight, i woulda like to see kimbo knock him down, but you know we are gunna hear about thisbeing fixed until the next time he fights

The ref kept looking to break up the ground work everytime pinata-ear had dominant position....he was yelling instructions speciafically to Kimbo..."Kimbo I need to see a little defense here"....@#$ is that? Dude is a professional MMA fighter....if he doesn't know how to intelligently defend the ground and pound, you call a TKO...I don't know if this was good or bad for MMA popularity but for real fans of the sport it was a joke.

exactly. Kimbo wasn't defending for well OVER a minute in the 2nd. Granted they were baby punches but they were undefended nonetheless. Itshouldn't even have seen the 3rd round...

Originally Posted by MrMundayNite

People are gonna say this is fixed now
grin.gif

Honestly, that fight probably should have been stopped. Thompson was taking punches to the head and was wobbly when the ref stepped in.

Not saying it was fixed but Thompson did take heavy punches in the 2nd round and recovered. He had Kimbo fatigued at the end of that round too.

This is the MMA not youtube.

Its like a world class sprinter joining the NFL as hyped up wide receiver, only to relaize that he can't catch a pass if his life depended on it.....RealMMA cats have been saying that Kimbo was a crude streetfighter who wouldn't do anything in this sport....and this proves them right. He basically fought abum, who was tailor made for him to destroy on national TV, he received preferential officiating and he still looked horrible. He had no idea what to do oncehe got put on his back...that's unacceptable.

Maybe that fight looked entertaning to new viewers of the sport but Kimbo is missing the very basics that it takes to get anywhere in MMA and he is way too oldto learn that now.

Originally Posted by kicks and kix

The ref kept looking to break up the ground work everytime pinata-ear had dominant position....he was yelling instructions speciafically to Kimbo..."Kimbo I need to see a little defense here"....@#$ is that? Dude is a professional MMA fighter....if he doesn't know how to intelligently defend the ground and pound, you call a TKO...I don't know if this was good or bad for MMA popularity but for real fans of the sport it was a joke.

exactly. Kimbo wasn't defending for well OVER a minute in the 2nd. Granted they were baby punches but they were undefended nonetheless. It shouldn't even have seen the 3rd round...

Oh I most Def agree, Kimbo didn't improve position and Ref gave all the time to him. Wouldn't have happened if this wasnt such a mainstream event.

wow, Kimbo has been exposed. Anyone with a good ground game would have finished Kimbo off. He looked like he was about to die after the fight. Much respect toThompson for not getting knocked down even after all those blows. Alot of people questioned his chin but he held up. I like Kimbo but tonight just showed hewoudln't be able to handle an elite MMA fighter.

preach...

anyone else think the carano-young fight was called prematurely too? Didn't think Kaitlyn was cut that badly for it to be called...even though Gina wouldhave probably dropped her in the third anyway.

Saw the fight. My sport is boxing and so this type of thing is new to me but even as a NEW fan, I can tell Kimbo needs A LOT of work to improve and stay in thegame. I mean, when dude was on the ground, he was getting KILLED. If his opponent had more stamina and got off a few bad-intentions punches, Kimbo would havebeen gone. He was COMPLETELY vulnerable and ready to go at that point. And being a new fan and just watching it for Kimbo, I got the same anxious feelingwatching that as I did when I watched Mike Tyson get beat by Danny Williams. I knew the end was near and I was real pissed and surprised. The only differencehere was, the ref didn't end the match. Again, I'm new to the sport but from all looks of it, it looks like it should have been stopped. Kimbo wasputting up NO fight at all and I thought he was going to pass-out. But I enjoyed the show tonight, very interesting and very, very brutal. I thought boxing wasthe most vicious sport, I was sorely mistaken...

^ thats good to hear from a boxing fan especially since I think the Elite XC: Street certified was two times better. The Lawler fight really left me feelingempty.

I was very entertained. Im not into this MMA stuff because the ground fighting bores me. Thompson took him to the ground because he was getting his cap peeledback.

I would pay to see Kimbo fight because eh has heart at least. Oh and the womans fight was pure hotness.

abeautifulhaze:
He had no idea what to do once he got put on his back...that's unacceptable.
I don't know. I'm definitely new to MMA, but the first time Kimbo was put on the ground, they tussled for a little bit, and he got out it;they both got back on their feet.

Isn't that at least some sort of credit to Kimbo?

And another time he got put on his back, he reversed it, and got Thompson on his back?

He gets no credit for that?

I'm not saying dude was money or anything. And I'm not saying he was awesome on his back. I'm just saying that I don't think it can be saidthat he had no idea what he was doing on his back, because he got back up on his feet one time, and reversed it another time.

No?

Originally Posted by His diabolical Majesty

I'm really surprised Thompson took so many shots. His brain looked like it kept getting shut down and then quickly rebooting before ever falling to sleep.
tired.gif

laugh.gif

So true.

This is the MMA not youtube.

Its like a world class sprinter joining the NFL as hyped up wide receiver, only to relaize that he can't catch a pass if his life depended on it.....Real MMA cats have been saying that Kimbo was a crude streetfighter who wouldn't do anything in this sport....and this proves them right. He basically fought a bum, who was tailor made for him to destroy on national TV, he received preferential officiating and he still looked horrible. He had no idea what to do once he got put on his back...that's unacceptable.

Maybe that fight looked entertaning to new viewers of the sport but Kimbo is missing the very basics that it takes to get anywhere in MMA and he is way too old to learn that now.

I agree with just about all that you said.
- Kimbo is too old to become a great fighter.
- He was fed a bum
- He had favorable officiating
- He looked bad (fatigued)

Kimbo's role is basically to broaden MMA's appeal. He's getting paid and will be built up to eventually take a loss to a "real"contender.

One thing's for sure... Kimbo will have a TON of challengers after this one. Cuz everyone probably thinks they can beat him right now.

^^ yea but the 3rd time had alot to do with his stamina, ran out of energy and couldnt use his hips effectively to get out that 3rd time.

I'm a new fan, but as many have said I think the EliteXC outfit is trash. From watching UFC, there is a huge difference IMO and it is far superior toEliteXC. Elite seams more of a show than actual fighting which imo UFC is. UFC is all about great fights, Elite seams like they'd be happier with a goodshow then a good fight.

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

abeautifulhaze:
I don't know. I'm definitely new to MMA, but the first time Kimbo was put on the ground, they tussled for a little bit, and he got out it; they both got back on their feet.

And another time he got put on his back, he reversed it, and got Thompson on his back?

I'm not saying dude was money or anything. And I'm not saying he was awesome on his back. I'm just saying that I don't think it can be said that he had no idea what he was doing on his back, because he got back up on his feet one time, and reversed it another time.

No?

ska - I hear ya. Difference IMO is that it wasn't so much an 'earned' escape or reversal as it was JT being incapable of good ground game. Thereversal was nice, but JT isn't the smartest dude down there. It wasn't like Kimbo went for a smooth sweep or anything.<BR><BR>Kimbo hasgood striking. I'm surprised he didn't ko Glass Jaw Thompson in the first. I was also expecting more since hes been with training with Bas for a whilenow...

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

abeautifulhaze:
I don't know. I'm definitely new to MMA, but the first time Kimbo was put on the ground, they tussled for a little bit, and he got out it; they both got back on their feet.

I'm not saying dude was money or anything. And I'm not saying he was awesome on his back. I'm just saying that I don't think it can be said that he had no idea what he was doing on his back, because he got back up on his feet one time, and reversed it another time.

No?

I agree to a point. Like you said, he's not an expert down there, but that third (fourth?) time he was on his back and the dude just had him pinnedagainst the cage, I thought it was over. I know he was fatigued but it just seemed like he didn't know what to do in that vulnerable spot. And, he waslucky his opponent was so tired or else he could have really been hurt and his career in the sport likely over or severely set-back. Again, from what Iunderstand, he's still relatively new to the sport so maybe he'll have time to learn some more moves now that he's REALLY been tested, but at thispoint, if I'm his handlers, I'm not letting him fight ANYONE bigger than him for a long time. Its one thing to fight a skilled, veteran guy but itsanother to fight a HUGE guy like Kimbo was fighting. To me, thats a TERRIBLE scheduling for him by his handlers. I'm a huge Tyson fan so I'm going touse another reference: The reason Tyson was losing so terribly at the end of his career was because he was A) Old; but more importantly B) He was fightingBIGGER guys like Kevin McBride and Danny Williams. Those guys were huge so the one advantage Tyson has, his raw power is almost neutralized because theopponent can smother him and wear him down from that. That applies to Kimbo because thats what was happening. Imagine if he had of lost, his career likelywould have been over, so a very POOR decision from his handlers in this match...

^ I'm a huge Tyson fan as well, but there really aren't too many guys smaller than him, you know?

Kimbo's a big dude, so I see what you're saying about his schedulers needing to put him up against some dudes smaller than him or more equal in statureto him. But Tyson? There weren't too many dudes out there smaller than him in stature. He was a short, stout frame fighting tall, stout frames.

Back
Top Bottom